Posted: 11 years ago

http://businessofcinema.com/reviews/review-raaz-3-3d-waste-3d-technology/50170

REVIEW: Raaz 3 (3D) – Waste Of 3D Technology

Vikram Bhatt seems rather inspired by Ram Gopal Varma as he crafts yet another horror/supernatural thriller.

Much like his Dangerous Ishhq, Raaz 3 is also a waste of 3D technology and unnecessarily demands the use of uncomfortable glasses.

Shanaya (Bipasha Basu) is an ambitious actress, addicted to fame and celebrity. A devout Hindu, she loses faith in her god when the best actress award goes to her competitor Sanjana (Esha Gupta). Obsessed with destroying Sanjana, who also happens to be her half sister, Shanaya invokes a new god – a dark, evil, amorphous being that practices black magic.

Shanaya manipulates her boyfriend, film director Aditya (Emraan Hashmi) into becoming an accessory to Sanjana's slow, painful and frightening destruction. A trapped Aditya is torn between his faith, conscience, obligation to Shanaya and attraction to the vulnerable and pure Sanjana. The only way to save Sanjana is to free her from the evil spirit that is killing her.

Within this genre, Raaz 3 has an interesting set up, but like most Hindi films it takes too long to tell it and relies on too many clichs, eg invoking the spirits in a graveyard; the evil woman wearing black, the victim wearing white; scary clowns etc. The dialogue is often so ridiculous that proceedings become involuntarily funny like when Shanaya challenges Aditya saying, "If you love me you can be stupid for me", or sample this: "Bachcha aur kutta pyaar ka bhooka hota hai (a child and a dog are hungry for love)."

Bhatt also gets the rhythm of the suspense-building wrong, going all too rapidly from grotesque (decapitation) to a kiss and song scene. It does not help that the acting is also at different levels. Hashmi is relatively measured but also comes across as rather disinterested. Gupta is handed over a complex role that she does not have the range or experience to deliver on. Fortunately the chemistry between Hashmi and Gupta works. So most of the burden to convince rests on Basu's fit shoulders – and she does. You do believe that she is menacing and wicked, though it is eventually confusing as to why she is behaving like a woman possessed, running through corridors in elegant designer heels even as she is being bludgeoned!

The art direction for the underworld is shoddy, as are the special effects, but the costumes are rather good. The songs and dances are largely superfluous. You can almost hear Esha Gupta counting her steps as she tries hard to dance. She works harder in the cockroach attack scene but that's based mainly on lung power. As for the intentional scares – you can see them coming minutes before, which means that you are prepared and recover quickly. But mostly you find yourself fidgeting and glancing at your watch willing the torture would end – not for Sanjana, for yourself.

Rating: *1/2

I'm sooo happy for Bips! 👏

http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/ENT-movie-review-raaz-3-3753555-.html?HFB=

Movie Review: Raaz 3

Mayank Shekhar | Sep 07, 2012, 13:28PM IST

Critic Rating:
(1/5)

In a display of rare secularism for a religious horror film, a Hindu tantrik takes the heroine to a Christian cemetery. The heroine is under a spell of black magic. The baba ties a knot between his wrist and the heroine's so they can lie on the ground, and together enter and explore the world of spirits, so he can rescue her from there. The chants in the background sound Buddhist.
During this daring process, the priest gets suddenly beheaded — there's nothing over his neck. The hero and the heroine rush out of the cemetery. This must've been a traumatic experience. You'd imagine they would be shivering in shock at home. No. The hero's Emraan Hashmi. The female lead (Esha Gupta) looks suspiciously like Mrinalini Sharma, who made her debut with Raaz (2002). This is Raaz 3. Hashmi immediately locks his lips with the heroine's. Romantic music takes over right then. They make intensely passionate love. The audience laughs. If only comedies could produce the kind of laughs this horror of horrors often does. Like me, everyone must have walked into the cinema, nearly empty, late in the night, with no one even in the hallways of the mall, hoping to get scared. They see no ghosts. Everyone looks bored.
Here's how this shindig starts. At a film award ceremony, Bipasha Basu (who plays a Bollywood star called Shania Shekhar) hopes to get the best actor prize. Her step-sister and main rival (Esha Gupta) picks up the prize yet again, for the third time in a row. This is when you realise if the top acting honours in any film industry are usually shared between these two leading ladies – then God must save the films. But sadly that's not what this movie's about.
It's God who has let Bipasha's Shania Shekhar down, an old man tells her outside the film award show. She visits a spirit who gives her a black magic drink that she administers on her closest rival through her boyfriend (Hashmi, who plays a filmmaker yet again). It's a good way to get rid of competition. The hero keeps slipping in black magic soda in the girl's drinks while he keeps falling further in love with her. Usually horror films have non-believers. Even the doctor, when told of the black magic soda, whispers, "I believe you."  I want to as well.
Black magic soda causes hypnosis and paranoia. The new top heroine keeps going nuts. At one point she takes her clothes off at a filmi party because she sees strange flies all around her. Audiences are supposed to enjoy this gaze. They can't stop laughing. The heroine's career goes for a toss. Anybody's would, if they worked on a movie like this.

KRK n his predictions 😆

@kamaalrkhan: Day1 collection will be around 10cr and weekend around 30cr means super hit.
#Raaz3 = #cocktail @emraanhashmi @MaheshNBhatt @bipsluvurself

Is it just me or any movie that critics hate gets huge numbers at BO 😲

the ones with leggit good rating fail to get the same numbers, Indian audience is unpredictableEdited by crazy_girl30 - 11 years ago
http://www.glamsham.com/movies/reviews/raaz-3-movie-review-horror-of-horrors-091202.asp

September 7, 2012 12:56:40 PM IST

By Martin D'Souza, Glamsham Editorial

"I believe 3D should be immersive like James Cameron's AVATAR and engage the audience. If the 3D doesn't involve the audience, it becomes gimmicky." This is what RAAZ 3 hero Emraan Hashmi is quoted as saying in today's interview.

Exactly my view; but sadly, RAAZ 3 disengages the viewer from the plot, the movie and ejects a few from the theatre halfway through. The few that are left have no option but humour themselves with 'smart alec' comments to keep boredom at bay.

Nothing works, not even the 3D effects, except for one or two scenes where you feel objects are being hurled at you. The plot has no spine, the screenplay is atrocious, even Bipasha Basu is forced in her acting while Esha Gupta tries her best to enact a scene. That leaves us with a few extras and Emraan Hashmi; he gets his staple scenes of two good lip locks.

Vikram Bhatt could have easily named this DANGEROUS ISHQ 2 instead of RAAZ 3! It's that disastrous.

The story has no depth. Shanaya (Bipasha Basu) is an actor whose star is on the wane. She wants to win awards through jaado tona. Sanjana (Esha Gupta) is the new heartthrob. Her rise to top has not been established. At an awards function, even before the Best Actress name can be announced, Bipasha gets up because she is sure she will win it. Reason: she has a red thread tied to her wrist. But even the gods refuse to smile on her. Esha has bagged the award. Naturally she is left fuming. She tries 'underworld' for assistance.
Esha and Bipasha are step sisters. She is upset that her father loved her sister more than her and to top it, she is now the reigning queen in Bollywood. Bipasha now wants to get Esha off the radar. So she engages her boyfriend, director Aditya (Emraan), to mix some liquid in her diet to get her to hallucinate. She does... very comically... The liquid has been given to her by someone from the other world.

Meanwhile, hero falls for sister and turns back on his lover. All hell breaks loose, or at least we are shown to believe. Hero now has to go into the spirit world to fight the demons and win his love back. He goes, and comes back. We are left wondering how we were taken for a royal ride in the name of 3D. Even if the gimmicks were entertaining, it would have been value for money.

The one star rating is for the attempt to make it in 3D. Otherwise, the movie has absolutely nothing to offer. The presentation is a horror in itself.

Rating - 1/5

i feel happy for Bipasha and Emraan😊

but im saving my money for Barfi! barfi looks like a movie one

wud want to watch in the theatres because of the beautiful locales

and colours

Watched Raaz 3 as its been a long time i went for a horror movie... Surprisingly it was beyond my expectations..Emraan was bang on as always...he is getting better with each movie..,Esha didn't impress me much but Bipasha i m really happy for her and she is back on Track and was superb as Both Hero and Villian...she stole the show👏
and the Horror Scenes were the one to watch out for ... Definate Hit from my Side...👍🏼
well guys don't forget that RAAZ is a brand and both the movies were successful therefore, it will get the benefit of a good opening..

however it will need to stand by the weekend if its really good, but by now it seems its a cakewalk for the team.

and Bipasha giving other ladies a run for money is too much. certainly happy for her if she gets a hit, but her record says tht she gives a hit in 3-4 years...but atleast it will bring her back to the league.

yeah stop going to gym for a while honey, ur beautiful don't ruin urself 
Originally posted by -ksh-

True...they put Bipasha in the forefront of publicity right from the start. But if the movie had Bipasha and some random actor like PZ's IIP it wouldnt have got the opening which Bipasha's movie starring EH can get.
Anyways if the movie does well it will be huge relief for Bipasha.

yeah but who knows.. its not like Emraan's always a sure shot success at the box office, THOUGH he has had an undeniably impressive record

Raaz 3 Has Good Opening

Friday 7th September 2012 13.30 IST

Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network

Raaz 3 took a good opening of around 50% at multiplexes and 65-70% in single screens on average. The 3D screens recorded better capacity The opening was very good in mass belts like CPCI, Bihar, Rajasthan and Nizam while Mumbai city, Delhi NCR and Punjab recorded lower than 50% occupancies.

The mass belts should ensure a healthy first day total for the film but for a good long run, a pick a up at the bigger circuit multiplexes will be needed.

The music was not as strong as some other Emraan Hashmi starrers but with the film promoted as a film with plenty of horror and sex it has got a very good opening response in mass circuits.