you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago

SRK v/s Ajay war: Viacom, Eros threaten theatre owners?

Distribution officials from Eros International and Viacom 18 called theatre owners, asking them to bypass the deal struck with YRF else…

Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; September 6, 2012)

The battle between Ajay Devgn's Son of Sardaar and Yash Chopra's Shah Rukh Khan-starrer, both scheduled for a November 14 release, has escalated.

Buzz was distributors had been told to book the same number of screens for the Shah Rukh-starrer as for Salman Khan's Ek Tha Tiger.

The fight turned ugly on Tuesday afternoon when distribution officials from Eros International and Viacom 18 started making calls to theatre owners, asking them to bypass the deal struck with YRF. What's more, they threatened the theatre owners that in the event they didn't comply, four of the production houses' forthcoming films: OMG Oh My God (September 28), Bhoot Returns (October 12), Aiyyaa (October 12) and Chakravyuh (October 24) wouldn't be screened in their theatres.

The distribution rights of Son of Sardaar, a joint production by Ajay Devgn and Viacom 18, were sold to Eros International in July to ensure smooth distribution of the film. The deal had been struck between Ajay and Eros' head honcho Kishore Lulla.

Inder Raj Kapoor of STV confirmed that calls were made to companies like Rahul Aksar Group, E City and themselves. Rahul of the Rahul Aksar Group said he didn't wish to comment on the matter.

A source from the exhibition circuit said, "We have been told to give priority to Son of Sardar in our multiplexes and remove the blanket ban else…"

Asked if they intend to pay heed to the calls, Kapoor said, "We are yet to arrive at a decision on what to do and what not to do."
But aren't these pressure tactics adopted by Eros and Viacom 18 unethical? "Well, Eros International and Viacom 18 say that Yash Raj Films is in the wrong. How do I take sides?" said Kapoor.

Meanwhile, a source from the trade said, "One fails to understand why Ajay is hell bent on releasing his film on the same day as Yash Chopra's film. Releasing the film during Diwali does not necessarily help. Ajay's Singham did so well despite hitting the theatres during the non-festive season. Or then, Yash Raj should shift the date. This war is no good for the industry."
Despite repeated attempts, Eros International and Viacom 18 remained unavailable for comment.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
good ... good reply to YRF's cheap games 

if their movie is good they shld be confident  ... Komal Nahata said as Diwali is a big festival hence Both movies have enough space to do well but YRF is playing cheap games 
HotMess thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
^ what games did YRF play? I am confused.

I don't get this war. Both films have the chance to fare well. I mean, it's holiday season!! 

I don't like how Eros/Viacom threatened the theatre owners though. I would just tell them to eff off, because if their upcoming releases aren't shown in those theatres, wouldn't it hurt those films as well and not just the theatres? YRF may have played dirty before, but now they're doing the same, and IDK if YRF still stay quiet.

Dumb crap, ugh.
PigBenis thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Exhibitors were the ones who created the fight. Or else this day would never come. They could've easily managed to release both movies together without giving YRF much priority. So I don't see anything wrong with Viacom and Eros threatening them. Either way the business of these two movies will be highly effected unless one of them change their release date..
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: HotMess

^ what games did YRF play? I am confused.

I don't get this war. Both films have the chance to fare well. I mean, it's holiday season!! 

I don't like how Eros/Viacom threatened the theatre owners though. I would just tell them to eff off, because if their upcoming releases aren't shown in those theatres, wouldn't it hurt those films as well and not just the theatres? YRF may have played dirty before, but now they're doing the same, and IDK if YRF still stay quiet.

Dumb crap, ugh.

Yash Raj Films made a deal with theater owners  that all those theaters which showed ETT will show SRK wali movie ... and those r all main theaters and so many that by doing this no proper theater will be left for SOS... so shld SOS distributes sit down and watch the tamasha by YRF ???? Good they have reacted and showed they r also in the business and  they can also do the same ...

YRF has started this and shld feel the heat 

In fact, if sources are to be believed, Khan has already won half the battle. The latest buzz in the trade is that distributors were told to book the same number of screens for Yash Chopra's film as for Salman Khan's Ek Tha Tiger. In simple words, more than half the theatres will be playing SRK's film, leaving Devgn little room at the ticket window.

Akshaye Rathi a fourth generation exhibitor and distributor tweeted, "Yashji's film has already been signed for all the cinemas across India which is playing Ek Tha Tiger. That takes away the best ones!"

BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Why does these wars only happen in Indian cinema? War for actor ranking, war for BO rankings, war among who's distributing what, war on everything 🥱
This is so f**king stupid.
I hate to say it but they think Millions of SRK's fans will not watch his movie but watch SOS?
HotMess thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Ooo, but my question is.. why can't theatres play both movies? 😕 Has YRF told them that those theatres can only play their movie and not SOS? Oh God that's dumb.

I hate when articles make it Khan vs. Devgan as if they're doing the dirty work, when it's YRF vs. Eros/Viacom. 
BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: HotMess

Ooo, but my question is.. why can't theatres play both movies? 😕 Has YRF told them that those theatres can only play their movie and not SOS? Oh God that's dumb.

I hate when articles make it Khan vs. Devgan as if they're doing the dirty work, when it's YRF vs. Eros/Viacom. 

@Bold
Exactly 😕
you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
I think Ajay is making a mistake..
This is an SRK romanceafter years ..that too by the King of romance Yash Chopra and  opposite Katrina..

People are certainly going to be more curious about this film..oldies too would be very interested.

Yashji has a great ear for music and has NEVER disappointed..

Plus Yash Chopra-ARR coming together will surely be magical!

The eagerness to catch SOS, FDFS will be far less!
Edited by you2 - 11 years ago