Debate Mansion

Should entrance tests replace boards? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 4

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 4
Page 4 Page 4

seoulbeats

seoulbeats

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 5:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by publicparty

No one has the right to judge another person on the basis of 90 minutes or more. A person and his life is worth more than that ...

It definitely is but there has to be some criteria to enter colleges, right?

There should be no such tests to enter an educational institution...there should be enough classrooms for all ... and only a uniform should be there for people to enter, and a code of conduct to stay in the classroom.

That's very idealistic, I'd say.

If there should be a test, that should be on the job spot where a person can display their skills to prove that they are worthwhile to get employed.

Knowledge dissemation should be free of such biases CoolApprove

There has to be some criteria to distinguish intellectual level of students and Board examination does that to some extent. The matter of reservation or undeserving students getting good score is another kettle of fish all together.

It works in the countries favor in a way. Those who are more knowledgeable can learn a better environment with better infrastructure so that their talent is further developed.

Every one should get an opportunity to study and yes, to that end I agree with you.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Should entrance tests replace boards? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

seoulbeats

seoulbeats

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

My preparation for ICSE 10th board was scary but thrilling at the same time. It had very vast syllabus and many subjects, plus, I had referred to multiple books besides the prescribed textbooks during my preparation.

TBH with you, suicide rates are all different issue altogether. In my perspective, it's too personal and blame cannot be put on the govt or the education board that has been functioning so well for such a long time.

You took the words right out of my mouth (or is it fingers?)

I remember referring to previous year question papers, and our ICSE board exams had vast syllabus...and trust me, the standard 20 years ago was much much higher. Just the sort of questions and the language was too high.

Yes, I have heard about that too.

I dont think the syllabus should be toned down at all... whatever I have read untill my 10th is like a BASE. It helps me understand things I read now. I dont even think that the students should have the choice to opt out of exams either, because, if they have a choice, I dont think many students would take their boards seriously, let alone the hundreds who would simply opt out. I dont see the purpose of having an education system without exams. Which student will study on their own? Everyone wishes they were dead rather than attempting boards, but when they grow up, they will be thankful for all the basic knowledge school have impregnated their brains with.

Also, they always have the choice of opting for another syllabus.

Coming to competitive exams, as in, entrances for the colleges.. I think every college should have an entrance test, that would test a student's grip on the basics and ofcourse, an interview. I am not aware of the syllabuses prescribed by different entrance exams, so, I hope the syllabus prescribed is standard to all the Boards(ICSE, CBSE, SSC, ISC, etc) .

I agree with you completely.Well said. :-)

Heart

Heart

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 6:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by seoulbeats

So we scrape off examinations to reduce the stress students endure and then what happens? The very same students remain unemployed because they are not properly trained and haven't read till a certain difficultly level. Unemployment will again lead to suicide. That's a vicious circle. The answer lies not in doing away with the boards but in providing better counselling to students and reducing the amount of pressure parents impose on them.

How can you be so sure unless you try it? Confused Students still have the very same syllabus, very same school exams and the very same annoying teachers and homework to cope up with. What I am just saying is that entrance exams should replace boards and that does not mean that the students will be under-trained in anyway. 

Secondly, you are talking about unemployment as if it is an total alien subject in the present scenario. 

See, people commit suicide for personal reasons which may vary from hopelessness, loneliness and intolerance of situation.

People commit suicide in the name of love so should we do away with love to? 

That's no solution, is it?

Loneliness is a total different scenario and it is not a part of the topic we are discussing here. We cant allow students burdened with pressure to commit suicide just because the love sick people commit suicide too, can we? 

Instead of changing a system which has been working well for so many years we should change the way we perceive academics and stress levels.

Does not work when you have to cope up with two different types of syllabus in the same year and ace at both. That is too much work. 

You are making exams sound like a Nazi camp! What you agree with isn't pragmatic at all. No one can handle sudden stress. It's better to understand that taking some stress makes you thrive.

I agree that stress makes you thrive, but when you have to ace at two things it divides your attention and hence your possibility of getting into a good college. 

There need not be a super human ability to cope with exams. Just a healthy attitude and doing away with boards all together is a silly opportunity cost.

Coaching classes are not a waste of money if they have strict discipline, intense study sections and tests.In the end they can't guarantee you a seat in the college/ university of your choice but then again, nothing can.
Coaching classes are not a waste of money?
Why to take coaching classes if the student can learn the same thing at school? 
Why cant they just come up with a common syllabus so that the child does all the learning at school and does not have to waste hours travelling and in coaching classes?

P.S I am not talking about 10th boards, I am talking about 12th boards and entrance exams. 

Edited by Heart - 06 September 2012 at 6:14am

seoulbeats

seoulbeats

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 6:35am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Heart

How can you be so sure unless you try it? Confused Students still have the very same syllabus, very same school exams and the very same annoying teachers and homework to cope up with. What I am just saying is that entrance exams should replace boards and that does not mean that the students will be under-trained in anyway. 

We did try it already, didn't we? CCE is the single biggest thing that tampered with our well functioning education system. Results are there for all to see. Students are not at all stressed but they are not any more educated as well. Doing so in the 12th boards too will of course lead to having similar results. The same syllabus, the same teachers, the same homework is all there but the students aren't putting in the same level of handwork because of CCE. 

The teachers announce all the important questions in the class (important ones mean the ones which will feature in your exam) and students learn just them. Some marks are allocated to project work which basically students coy from internet or their friends (there is no scope for development there)

Why do you think there is a sudden, dramatic jump in number of high scorers? Because of a system that doesn't educate our students the way they should have been.

Secondly, you are talking about unemployment as if it is an total alien subject in the present scenario. 

Unemployment is not an alien concept at all. On contrary, it is very prevalent in our country. So why should we take up steps to increase it even further.

In the end it all boils down to this- At what price?

See, people commit suicide for personal reasons which may vary from hopelessness, loneliness and intolerance of situation.

People commit suicide in the name of love so should we do away with love to? 

That's no solution, is it?

Loneliness is a total different scenario and it is not a part of the topic we are discussing here. We cant allow students burdened with pressure to commit suicide just because the love sick people commit suicide too, can we? 

Mostly students commit suicide not because of the pressure education imposes on them but because of the pressure parents and relatives impose on them.

Does not work when you have to cope up with two different types of syllabus in the same year and ace at both. That is too much work. 

No gains without pains. Entrance exams have always existed for students of science and arts fields. Commerce students too can take that in.It's not to much work actually because a portion of the syllabus you study in school will also feature in your entrance examination.

Coaching classes are not a waste of money?

No.

Why to take coaching classes if the student can learn the same thing at school? 

Why do people take tuition if they study the same thing at school?

Why cant they just come up with a common syllabus so that the child does all the learning at school and does not have to waste hours travelling and in coaching classes?

Boards set up a base for further studies and even entrance examination. But if both are to have the same syllabus what is the point of giving them separately? It's like giving two papers of same subject, having the same syllabus.

Edited by seoulbeats - 06 September 2012 at 6:37am

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 6:48am | IP Logged

Sky rocketing cut-offs have left students and parents bewildered.

While you make study hard and secure even a 95 percent, it wouldn't guarantee you a seat in the top college of the country.

A sort of saturation point has been reached when most of the people are just waiting to see what cut-off will the to colleges keep.

Shri Ram College of Commerce, the best college in our country according to India Times Survey, declared a 100 % cut-off last year. While this year they chose a different formula to calculate cut-offs the fact still remains- till what extent will they stretch cut-offs?

A plausible solution could be to replace the existing system of Board examination with the entrance test but then some feel that the importance of Board Exams will be undermined and students will become lethargic and laid back.

So what do you think? Entrance tests or Boards? 

After reading about these news I think this new format is lot more complex than the previous one and it help school teachers will have now options to run pivate tuitions and now students wll suffer from two sides...Amir Khan said in three idiots- ''ye suicide nahi murder hai. Instead of making improvements you are harrasing students.''

But I agree the concept of ..'One Country, One Examination'Smile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

seoulbeatsHeart

LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

BollyCurry Production Intern

Posted: 08 September 2012 at 4:36am | IP Logged
I appeared for both class 10th and class 12th board examinations. I know both the pressure of studies and the harassing period during the month of May-June-July when the student is looking for the right course and the right college. And although, I do agree that the cut-offs get more and more depressing with each passing year, eliminating this pattern of examination is no solution either.

Firstly, the AISSCE certificate is all-important for students who do not come from well-off backgrounds and look for jobs right after the Class 12th examination. 

Yes, the cut-offs are increasing every year. Tell me, how will entrance examinations make it any easier? One entrance exam=lakhs of students appearing for ONE exam=limited number of seats=only the ones who are incredibly talented and can handle extreme pressure can make it to the college of their choice. Just instead of a cut-off percentage, what you will have is a cut-off rank. 

Look, the problem is not the Board Examination. The problem is the criterion the colleges choose to accept students. It is this that needs to change. Delhi University has twenty one colleges under its umbrella. But most students target just few of the best ones. As a result, thousands of students come in flock for admission into these few colleges. No doubt, the cut-off increases since the number of seats is limited. There needs to be an increase in the number of seats, more courses need to be introduced so that a student has more choices and there are less applicants for one particular course, the colleges need to come on par with the top ones. 

I would say, why not include other criterion along with the board exam percentage? The co-curricular track of the student, laurel achieved at the national/international level etc.

Replacing this pattern of examination with the entrance examinations is in fact, far more complex than easier and very pressurizing. So, the student has just one chance to prove his metal. To be precise, the student has just 90 minutes to prove his metal. How is that in any way reasonable?

Edited by LoveToLaugh - 08 September 2012 at 4:38am

AfflicteD

AfflicteD

Posted: 12 September 2012 at 9:19am | IP Logged
I had just given my 10th class exams this year in April and I've got a perfect 10 CGPA. Now I'm in class 11th and this is the most frustrating phase of my life until now. I'm a science student. Now not only do I have to study for my school examinations but also prepare for engineering entrance test for which I have joined some coaching class.

What I am taught in my coaching classes is different from what I have to study in the school.
But the main point is the pressure on me now. 10th was way much more easy that 11th. In India, as a student goes from 10th to 11th he is so pressurized that at first he couldn't even understand what and how to do. Now I have to study for schools separately and prepare for the engineering tests separately.

And with the CCE system or the new common entrance test system introduced by Kapil Sibbal, it pressurizes the student even more when he goes from class 10th to 11th. Earlier, marks in 12th boards didn't matter that much if you get into a good engineering college. But now, you are not even eligible to give the entrance test for IIT if you don't have at least the specified %age in 12th boards which I believe is 80% for CBSE.

Already school studies have increased 4 folds. Coaching classes added, we feel all screwed up. I'm just studying, studying and studying nowadays while reminiscing about class 10th and earlier!

But then, I don't think that entrance tests should replace boards. Both, altogether, pressurize the students to a great extent but then, entrance test is sometimes about luck, our presence of mind at that particular time, while boards are all about how much we prepare. One of my cousins scored very less in his 12th boards but got into IIT, while my friend scored 94 point something in boards but couldn't get a good rank in IITJEE or AIEEE.

Entrance tests and boards mark the students ability in their own different ways. We just can't replace one by the other. Both are needed, but, the way they are done, can obviously be changed. The pressure put on the students should be decreased. 

Edited by AfflicteD - 12 September 2012 at 9:19am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Devanshi-

*Dev.*

Coolbie

*Dev.*

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 6:50am | IP Logged
agee with u!!!! hell bent corruption leading our country

Post Reply New Post

Go to top