Debate Mansion

Should entrance tests replace boards? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 3 Page 4

seoulbeats

seoulbeats

Posted: 05 September 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Heart

True, board exams are much simpler compared to the competitive exams but can you imagine the amount of time a student spends preparing for board exams, when he or she can spend this time for entrance exams? At a certain point it seems like a waste, don't you think? It is like an extra burden. 

No, if after the 12th exams we do get a different pattern for the entrance exam that's fine.Students in medical and engineering field already juggle both so why can't everyone else do it? I don't think that students are overburdened at all.Our peers gave the entrance exams after boards and they managed just fine so why not us as well?

Firstly, I think the purpose of the education system is to educate the child and not force the child to commit suicide.

Exactly my point. The purpose of education system is to educate and not make students lethargic, complacent and stupid. You underestimate the ability of students if you think that they can't handle pressure. In the end we have to take some amount of stress at one point or the other. 

We can't scrape off all examinations and entrance test in the name of stress.

So would it be better to slowly increase the level of difficulty the student faces in every class or would it be better if we just make the student face tough papers one fine day without previous training to handle stress?

So the system definitely helped in reducing the stress levels for the students. It should be actually applied for 12th grade too, where it is really needed. 

I disagree.

Secondly, the system in India is such that when you get from 10th to 11th you suddenly are overburdened with enormous books and tremendous pressure that at first everyone finds difficult to cope up with, no matter how perfect their CGPA is. I remember looking at my Physics books in 11th and wondering "how am I ever going to survive this?". It is really hard at first, so I would not be surprised if the students fail in the 11th exams. Boards and entrance is were it actually counts. 

@Bold- You said it.

Yes, exactly. There is a huge question mark there. At least what they can do is make the syllabus similar for the two exams so that it is a little more bearable, and the students on have to waste so much money at the coaching classes every year. 

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Should entrance tests replace boards? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Heart

Heart

Posted: 05 September 2012 at 8:46pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by seoulbeats

True, board exams are much simpler compared to the competitive exams but can you imagine the amount of time a student spends preparing for board exams, when he or she can spend this time for entrance exams? At a certain point it seems like a waste, don't you think? It is like an extra burden. 

No, if after the 12th exams we do get a different pattern for the entrance exam that's fine.Students in medical and engineering field already juggle both so why can't everyone else do it? I don't think that students are overburdened at all.Our peers gave the entrance exams after boards and they managed just fine so why not us as well?

Do you know how many students commit suicide because they are unable to cope up with the pressure? Do you know how many students drop a year to prepare for entrance, hence wasting one year completely? Its good to think that people are doing it even I can do it, but the truth is, not everyone can go through with such a burden. Govt needs to do something about it. Each year there are 2-4 Lac students giving entrance exams which has only 70000 seats available. The seat count is even less in medical. I personally know a very hard working student (tops his school and all) who did not get into medical and is dropping to prepare for the exam. How is that fair? Just with the thinking that if people are doing it everyone can do it, one can not manage the situation, you have to take a look at the present scenario and do something about it. 

Firstly, I think the purpose of the education system is to educate the child and not force the child to commit suicide.

Exactly my point. The purpose of education system is to educate and not make students lethargic, complacent and stupid. You underestimate the ability of students if you think that they can't handle pressure. In the end we have to take some amount of stress at one point or the other. 

We can't scrape off all examinations and entrance test in the name of stress.

Take a look at the suicide and dropout rates each year, if you think I am underestimating someone. 

So would it be better to slowly increase the level of difficulty the student faces in every class or would it be better if we just make the student face tough papers one fine day without previous training to handle stress?

Yes, I think that is much better than torturing a student and making them go through all the pressure each and everyday. 

So the system definitely helped in reducing the stress levels for the students. It should be actually applied for 12th grade too, where it is really needed. 

I disagree.

Secondly, the system in India is such that when you get from 10th to 11th you suddenly are overburdened with enormous books and tremendous pressure that at first everyone finds difficult to cope up with, no matter how perfect their CGPA is. I remember looking at my Physics books in 11th and wondering "how am I ever going to survive this?". It is really hard at first, so I would not be surprised if the students fail in the 11th exams. Boards and entrance is were it actually counts. 

@Bold- You said it.

Yes, I did. And talking about some measures to reduce it and not the other way round. Not everyone is a born with superhuman ability to cope up with such pressure. 

Yes, exactly. There is a huge question mark there. At least what they can do is make the syllabus similar for the two exams so that it is a little more bearable, and the students on have to waste so much money at the coaching classes every year. 

Wave.

IF-Rockerz

Wave.

Posted: 05 September 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged

at least both the boards and entrance should have at least same or similar syllabus so that it does not much so much load on a student.

Exactly,I remember how difficult it was for me first to prepare myself with subjective Questions and then later on with objective ones.Plus some of the portion wouldnt be in my ISC board but they would be in the competetive exams so had to prepare it without much guidance and help.

This leniency in checking board papers has resulted in an enormous increase in number of students securing high marks and this inevitably leads to jump in cut-offs.

Exactly its like when you get your result you are so happy and later on you notice that almost everyone has got those numbers.And since so many get good marks this makes compe really tough and cut off go shooting up.

Originally posted by zorrro

The students appearing in engineering entrance exams will have to do reasonably well in borads too as 40% weightage would be given to scores in board exam. The medical aspirants too may have to face the same fate in a yera or two.

That is so very unfair for the students giving competetive exams cuz students tend to focus less on subjects like Environment Hindi Computer etc and instead focus on Phy Chem Bio/maths cuz these are the subjects that are gonna help them clear competetive exam,so Imagine the burden on poor students.

I remember looking at my Physics books in 11th and wondering "how am I ever going to survive this?"

True, board exams are much simpler compared to the competitive exams but can you imagine the amount of time a student spends preparing for board exams, when he or she can spend this time for entrance exams? At a certain point it seems like a waste, don't you think? It is like an extra burden

@ bold Exactly was my condition

And I agree board exams are way too simple than competetive exams .

Edited by Wave. - 06 September 2012 at 8:32am

Wave.

IF-Rockerz

Wave.

Posted: 05 September 2012 at 10:00pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by publicparty

There should be no such tests to enter an educational institution...there should be enough classrooms for all ... and only a uniform should be there for people to enter, and a code of conduct to stay in the classroom.

Until that happens what should students do to enter educational institutions?Draw out lottery cards?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Heart

Angel-likeDevil

IF-Sizzlerz

Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 2:43am | IP Logged
My preparation for ICSE 10th board was scary but thrilling at the same time. It had very vast syllabus and many subjects, plus, I had referred to multiple books besides the prescribed textbooks during my preparation.

TBH with you, suicide rates are all different issue altogether. In my perspective, it's too personal and blame cannot be put on the govt or the education board that has been functioning so well for such a long time.

I remember referring to previous year question papers, and our ICSE board exams had vast syllabus...and trust me, the standard 20 years ago was much much higher. Just the sort of questions and the language was too high.

I dont think the syllabus should be toned down at all... whatever I have read untill my 10th is like a BASE. It helps me understand things I read now. I dont even think that the students should have the choice to opt out of exams either, because, if they have a choice, I dont think many students would take their boards seriously, let alone the hundreds who would simply opt out. I dont see the purpose of having an education system without exams. Which student will study on their own? Everyone wishes they were dead rather than attempting boards, but when they grow up, they will be thankful for all the basic knowledge school have impregnated their brains with.

Also, they always have the choice of opting for another syllabus.

Coming to competitive exams, as in, entrances for the colleges.. I think every college should have an entrance test, that would test a student's grip on the basics and ofcourse, an interview. I am not aware of the syllabuses prescribed by different entrance exams, so, I hope the syllabus prescribed is standard to all the Boards(ICSE, CBSE, SSC, ISC, etc) .

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 06 September 2012 at 2:44am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

seoulbeats-Devanshi-Wave.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 4:12am | IP Logged
Looking back even though SSC and HSC were stressful and difficult, I'm glad I had to endure them. It instills a certain amount of hard work, diligence and creates a broad education platform. The exams should not be made easier, but admission systems need to be more broad based - try to admit diverse students from diverse backgrounds, consider extracurricular activities, consider working students, have entrance tests as well.

To be honest, I think suicide is not a result of the system but parents who have excessive and undue expectations on kids. A lot of my friends would be stressed and depressed not because of teachers or marks, but because parents made them feel like trash if they did not do well. If the family says "We're with you. Try again and find a way." when someone does not do well or fails, it makes a world of difference.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

seoulbeatsWave.

Wave.

IF-Rockerz

Wave.

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 5:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

My preparation for ICSE 10th board was scary but thrilling at the same time. It had very vast syllabus and many subjects, plus, I had referred to multiple books besides the prescribed textbooks during my preparation.

TBH with you, suicide rates are all different issue altogether. In my perspective, it's too personal and blame cannot be put on the govt or the education board that has been functioning so well for such a long time.

I remember referring to previous year question papers, and our ICSE board exams had vast syllabus...and trust me, the standard 20 years ago was much much higher. Just the sort of questions and the language was too high.

I dont think the syllabus should be toned down at all... whatever I have read untill my 10th is like a BASE. It helps me understand things I read now. I dont even think that the students should have the choice to opt out of exams either, because, if they have a choice, I dont think many students would take their boards seriously, let alone the hundreds who would simply opt out. I dont see the purpose of having an education system without exams. Which student will study on their own? Everyone wishes they were dead rather than attempting boards, but when they grow up, they will be thankful for all the basic knowledge school have impregnated their brains with.

Also, they always have the choice of opting for another syllabus.

Coming to competitive exams, as in, entrances for the colleges.. I think every college should have an entrance test, that would test a student's grip on the basics and ofcourse, an interview. I am not aware of the syllabuses prescribed by different entrance exams, so, I hope the syllabus prescribed is standard to all the Boards(ICSE, CBSE, SSC, ISC, etc) .

Yes I also passed 10 and 12 from ISC board and I agree the kind of Qs that use to come some 20 year ago were quite hard,and IDK about CBSE but in ICSE goin through the previous year Qs really helps and most of the Qs are repeated .
But later on when I sat for the AIPMT i was like I couldnt even qualify the pre though I got good marks in the boards.And theres a reason cuz the kind of Q being asked in the compe exams are more conceptual based and simply learning the formulae and stuff wont do the trick unles you know the whole concept.So here I was with such good marks in boards but just useless for a year and had to drop a year until I go to college.Thats the point if you are sitting for a compe exams you have to know it all and in boards even you arent very well prepared and dont know some of the chap you can still secure descent marks.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Devanshi-

seoulbeats

seoulbeats

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 5:51am | IP Logged

Do you know how many students commit suicide because they are unable to cope up with the pressure? Do you know how many students drop a year to prepare for entrance, hence wasting one year completely? Its good to think that people are doing it even I can do it, but the truth is, not everyone can go through with such a burden. Govt needs to do something about it. Each year there are 2-4 Lac students giving entrance exams which has only 70000 seats available. The seat count is even less in medical. I personally know a very hard working student (tops his school and all) who did not get into medical and is dropping to prepare for the exam. How is that fair? Just with the thinking that if people are doing it everyone can do it, one can not manage the situation, you have to take a look at the present scenario and do something about it.

So we scrape off examinations to reduce the stress students endure and then what happens? The very same students remain unemployed because they are not properly trained and haven't read till a certain difficultly level. Unemployment will again lead to suicide. That's a vicious circle. The answer lies not in doing away with the boards but in providing better counselling to students and reducing the amount of pressure parents impose on them.

Take a look at the suicide and dropout rates each year, if you think I am underestimating someone. 

See, people commit suicide for personal reasons which may vary from hopelessness, loneliness and intolerance of situation.

People commit suicide in the name of love so should we do away with love to? 

That's no solution, is it?

Instead of changing a system which has been working well for so many years we should change the way we perceive academics and stress levels.

Yes, I think that is much better than torturing a student and making them go through all the pressure each and everyday. 

You are making exams sound like a Nazi camp! What you agree with isn't pragmatic at all. No one can handle sudden stress. It's better to understand that taking some stress makes you thrive.

@Bold- You said it.

Yes, I did. And talking about some measures to reduce it and not the other way round. Not everyone is a born with superhuman ability to cope up with such pressure. 

There need not be a super human ability to cope with exams. Just a healthy attitude and doing away with boards all together is a silly opportunity cost.

Coaching classes are not a waste of money if they have strict discipline, intense study sections and tests.In the end they can't guarantee you a seat in the college/ university of your choice but then again, nothing can.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top