Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: seoulbeats

Sky rocketing cut-offs have left students and parents bewildered.

While you make study hard and secure even a 95 percent, it wouldn't guarantee you a seat in the top college of the country.

A sort of saturation point has been reached when most of the people are just waiting to see what cut-off will the to colleges keep.

Shri Ram College of Commerce, the best college in our country according to India Times Survey, declared a 100 % cut-off last year. While this year they chose a different formula to calculate cut-offs the fact still remains- till what extent will they stretch cut-offs?

A plausible solution could be to replace the existing system of Board examination with the entrance test but then some feel that the importance of Board Exams will be undermined and students will become lethargic and laid back.

So what do you think? Entrance tests or Boards? 

After reading about these news I think this new format is lot more complex than the previous one and it help school teachers will have now options to run pivate tuitions and now students wll suffer from two sides...Amir Khan said in three idiots- ''ye suicide nahi murder hai. Instead of making improvements you are harrasing students.''

But I agree the concept of ..'One Country, One Examination'😊
LoveToLaugh thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I appeared for both class 10th and class 12th board examinations. I know both the pressure of studies and the harassing period during the month of May-June-July when the student is looking for the right course and the right college. And although, I do agree that the cut-offs get more and more depressing with each passing year, eliminating this pattern of examination is no solution either.

Firstly, the AISSCE certificate is all-important for students who do not come from well-off backgrounds and look for jobs right after the Class 12th examination. 

Yes, the cut-offs are increasing every year. Tell me, how will entrance examinations make it any easier? One entrance exam=lakhs of students appearing for ONE exam=limited number of seats=only the ones who are incredibly talented and can handle extreme pressure can make it to the college of their choice. Just instead of a cut-off percentage, what you will have is a cut-off rank. 

Look, the problem is not the Board Examination. The problem is the criterion the colleges choose to accept students. It is this that needs to change. Delhi University has twenty one colleges under its umbrella. But most students target just few of the best ones. As a result, thousands of students come in flock for admission into these few colleges. No doubt, the cut-off increases since the number of seats is limited. There needs to be an increase in the number of seats, more courses need to be introduced so that a student has more choices and there are less applicants for one particular course, the colleges need to come on par with the top ones. 

I would say, why not include other criterion along with the board exam percentage? The co-curricular track of the student, laurel achieved at the national/international level etc.

Replacing this pattern of examination with the entrance examinations is in fact, far more complex than easier and very pressurizing. So, the student has just one chance to prove his metal. To be precise, the student has just 90 minutes to prove his metal. How is that in any way reasonable?

Edited by LoveToLaugh - 11 years ago
AfflicteD thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
I had just given my 10th class exams this year in April and I've got a perfect 10 CGPA. Now I'm in class 11th and this is the most frustrating phase of my life until now. I'm a science student. Now not only do I have to study for my school examinations but also prepare for engineering entrance test for which I have joined some coaching class.

What I am taught in my coaching classes is different from what I have to study in the school.
But the main point is the pressure on me now. 10th was way much more easy that 11th. In India, as a student goes from 10th to 11th he is so pressurized that at first he couldn't even understand what and how to do. Now I have to study for schools separately and prepare for the engineering tests separately.

And with the CCE system or the new common entrance test system introduced by Kapil Sibbal, it pressurizes the student even more when he goes from class 10th to 11th. Earlier, marks in 12th boards didn't matter that much if you get into a good engineering college. But now, you are not even eligible to give the entrance test for IIT if you don't have at least the specified %age in 12th boards which I believe is 80% for CBSE.

Already school studies have increased 4 folds. Coaching classes added, we feel all screwed up. I'm just studying, studying and studying nowadays while reminiscing about class 10th and earlier!

But then, I don't think that entrance tests should replace boards. Both, altogether, pressurize the students to a great extent but then, entrance test is sometimes about luck, our presence of mind at that particular time, while boards are all about how much we prepare. One of my cousins scored very less in his 12th boards but got into IIT, while my friend scored 94 point something in boards but couldn't get a good rank in IITJEE or AIEEE.

Entrance tests and boards mark the students ability in their own different ways. We just can't replace one by the other. Both are needed, but, the way they are done, can obviously be changed. The pressure put on the students should be decreased. 
Edited by AfflicteD - 11 years ago
*Dev.* thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
agee with u!!!! hell bent corruption leading our country
Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
The problem is that there is no standardization in boards. You have got ICSE, CBSE, state boards, open boards, etc. Everyone has slightly different syllabus, different question patterns, and different ways of marking. ICSE is much tougher than CBSE, so same student will score less. So, unless everyone comes from the same boards, it is not possible to compare them based on their marks. So, and entrance test is necessary so that every student is judged based on the same questions and same conditions.

Another thing is that boards are subjective. Some students know a thing but can't explain in a better way, while some can write lengthy answers based on little fact. And some marks are even awarded for handwriting. Some good students have bad handwriting, which creates a bias in the examiner's mind. Objective test tests your intelligence and problem solving ability. Apply whatever method you like, you just have to solve the problem, which mimics real life scenarios. Your salary won't get deducted like your marks, if you don't follow the conventional method. In fact, one is encouraged to be different in real world, unlike the boards where everyone is supposed to write the same things and follow the same methods.

Another thing is board exams are much easier than entrance exams. It tests more of your rote memory rather than intelligence. i can't sya about other streams, but it is true for science. exams like JEE test how clear your concepts are and whether you can practically apply your theoretical knowledge to solve real problems. Boards just test how good can you mug your book and write word by word in your answer sheet. You may not understand a word, but if you can repeat what you read in the books, you score good. That's why you see many students scoring 90%+ in boards who can't clear JEE.

Can anybody please throw some light on what this "open book system" is all about ðŸ˜•   Sibal ji keeps throwing bouncers every year without proper explanation 😒
Why not experiment from the grade XI th itself . Why harass those appearing for their boards every time
Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
It seems Sibbal himself needs some analytic skills so that he can develop and implement plans in a better way.
Priya_990 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
no.i think board exams should not be replaced by entrance tests.
ViviLaVida thumbnail
. Edited by ViviLaVida - 11 years ago