Armu4eva
Armu4eva

** Super Coolbie **

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged

Won't do regressive soaps, if I need money: Karan Kundra

Amrita Mulchandani, TNN | Sep 5, 2012, 12.00AM IST
Won't do regressive soaps, if I need money: Karan Kundra
Karan KundraMore Pics
Telly heartthrob Karan Kundra on his 'amicable' break-up with Kritika Kamra, the lack of creativity on prime time TV and more

It's difficult for television actors to revamp their images, but it doesn't quite apply to Karan Kundra. From acting in a daily soap and making a debut in Punjabi films to hosting shows and now working in a telefilm, Karan makes sure that he tries something new all the time.

Karan, who will soon be seen in Teri Meri Love Stories, says, "The story I am doing is young, simple and sweet — there is no high drama. It's more of a musical, which really attracted me to the project."

At a time when audiences seem to love regressive shows, can telefilms attract them? "While daily soaps definitely rule on weekdays, the weekend slots are not so happening. Channels show Bollywood films or award functions and so, it's an intelligent move to develop such a concept during the weekends," says Karan.

In real life, Karan, who broke up with TV star Kritika Kamra not so long ago, says that he is "disillusioned with love." The sense of humour comes to the fore as he speaks next, with a laugh, "Having worked in so many love stories, I sometimes don't understand if I am getting attracted to someone because in real life, the dupattas don't fly and there is no background music!"

On a more serious note, talking about the break-up, he says, "I am still great friends with Kritika and we still hang out together. We didn't have a bitter break-up and handled the situation in a mature way."

Karan, who had once said that "daily soaps have no creativity", stands by that remark. "Most TV soaps have no creativity — they just copy the famous Bollywood scenes or songs. You see the same scenes repeatedly, only the actors change! For TRPs, show makers just introduce extra marital affairs, more rona dhona or divorce tracks. Shows like Bade Achhe Laggte Hai are exceptions. I feel the current crop of creative people should just quit their jobs and let newcomers take over," he says.

Does that mean we won't see him in any daily soaps? "If I get a show with some good concept, I will take it up. But tomorrow, if I need money, I won't do these stupid, regressive shows. I'll rather work for my dad," points out Karan.

Crime-based shows are a hit today, and Karan feels it is only because "anything that works, is copied in this industry. Show makers shouldn't just follow trends blindly." Karan is happy hosting his show Gumraah — End of Innocence Season 2. "Compared to other crime shows, this show caters to a niche section. I had fame, but people now look at me with respect," says Karan, who is doing Dharmesh Darshan's untitled romantic Punjabi film.

These days, Karan is surrounded by youngsters and he feels, "Gen Y kids are smarter, more aware and intelligent. Today's 15-year-olds are as smart as 22-year-olds. The generation gap is going to become so huge that communicating with kids will be difficult. I feel 12-year-olds are tech savvy, but not mature."

Karan, one of the most fashionable actors in the industry, has some of the best brands in his kitty. "I am brand conscious, but fashion isn't about brands. I know how to mix 'n' match and wear outfits that suit me. I don't stick to expensive brands. Fashion comes naturally to me, I don't read magazines to follow it," he says.

The following 20 member(s) liked the above post:

92727424LuvmayurmaneetmyeravidyasabdeFattoomSSA777Blushsarikakoyelbasubusybee..zoya_naziyawaveshkp11debaparna77SwastikAshNirabzonedgeShee_xaanjayanti_djparmarAvyomanttrocks

debaparna77 IF-Sizzlerz
debaparna77
debaparna77

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 1:26pm | IP Logged
Thanks Tanu

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

92727424busybee..SwastikAshNi

busybee.. IF-Dazzler
busybee..
busybee..

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged
Thanks for sharing tanu:-):-)