India-Forums

Balika Vadhu
Balika Vadhu

Soap and signals (Page 4)

aparnauma IF-Stunnerz
aparnauma
aparnauma

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged
Sarandha - I agree with you regarding Gauri's reaction to the news about pregnancy.It is too early to say anything about it.
She was thinking about her relationship with J when she had a blackout andthe moment she opened her eyes she was hit with news while her mind was on still what she was thinking before she had a blackout.That's why she reacted the way she did when she was informed about her pregnancy.I think people are judging her too early in this matter.
Gauri is no favourite of mine and I feel she is getting what she deserved and J is also equally bad.
Yes I don't think we should condemn her on the basis of what we think that she might do.
I wish people would wait till she actually does what we thought she would do then talk about it.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

sarandhalavyhooked

hooked IF-Dazzler
hooked
hooked

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 9:43pm | IP Logged
I think for the first time Gauri seems to be on the right track - this is of course assuming she thinks so even after a couple of days and doesn't let her scheming mom use this as another lure to bring J back.

A kid deserves to come into a welcoming, loving home - and not as a bottle of glue  to join to opposite poles. 

Gauri is right in thinking - ts over and done with - I can't keep redoing this aana-jaana business with him all my life - lets call it quits.

She's young, pretty, very capable and very desirable. She really shud begin again with someone new and her slate clean so she has no burden of hiding anything. Gauri is hardworking - I have to give her that - and she got her slap and now she shud be able to just move on.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

sarandhalavySuchi-adi2512aparnauma

rohini55 Goldie
rohini55
rohini55

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged
Sarandha, hooked, aparna

I agree with you that the abortion decision should be gauri's. I'm horrified that a villifiction campaign has started against her on this important gender right -- given to us Indian women on a platter but something that is still is being hotly debated in the West with the right-wingers holding sway over public opinion. I remember some years ago, there was a discussion on this in another forum. The second lead decided to abort and became infertile. The forum argrued that this was just desserts for her crime. I cringed at this lack of understanding of a very senstive issue. Why must the woman who aborts be punished by divine will? Why is she termed a killer?

The thing that intrigues and astonishes me about this country is the divergence between constitutional and legal rights and broad public opinion. Whether it is voting rights or the right to abort, we in India got it all too easily without us going through the pain of fighting for these rights. If you study the black movement you will know how hard they had to work to be able to vote along with the white folks. Abortion tends to produce virulent political reaction in the west and even the most liberal politician will need to think of the consequences of espousing it as his/her belief. As against this India introduced abortion rights way back --matter of factly with no political opposition. And yet a small moral brigade among the public simply does not understand the importance and value of this right.

Maybe I'm wrong  but I'd like to get your feedback on this. From our conversation on this thread and other threads, notably one started by Sarandha, II realise that we all subscribe to a view of the world that is more diverse and inclusive. Is there a divergence between the older generation and younger generation on this? Because the most self-righteous reaction often comes from the very young. Is this my reading alone? If I'm correct on this, then why has this happened. It is not a coincidence then that the regressive soaps that have invaded teledom also come at this time as opposed an earlier era when the scripts were more forgiving and accommodating of the modern, urban woman.

As Sarandha pointed out, and I completely agree with her:on this, women who drink socially can be ethical in their judgments and in their work environments. I live alone in India, I have a flourishing career and me and my friends do drink socially and see no conflict between being liberal and being ethical.

I prefer this to moral grandstandingon social issues andf being corrupt in persanl behaviour, Anyway guys , I love all these discussions and as lavy said wish we could have a grand union sometime over chai and samosa.

sarandhalavyhooked

lavy Goldie
lavy
lavy

Posted: 05 September 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged
Am all pro choice. A woman should have the mental and physical strength to handle the pregnancy and the responsibilities which come with the baby. I got pregnant for the second time when my elder one was 9 months old. My husband left the choice to me completely because it is after all my body and my hormones. I decided to go ahead with the pregnancy out of my own choice and now have 2 beautiful daughters. My husband is by my side in whatever decision I take and that has made life easier.

In G's case, she is pregnant with the child of a man who hates her, who is so unpredictable and someone who cannot be trusted at all. why would she want to go ahead with the baby if she thinks she does not want anything to do with the relationship?

Her case of redemption would be to apologise to everyone and start all over again..this time fresh with no lies and no baggage and insecurity. If there is a Gaja track, then they should sit down analyse their negative points, acknowledge each other's GRAVE mistakes in the relationship and accept that they are flawed people and slowly move on in life trying to be better individuals together.

With regards to the moral policing on Abortion, only the wearer knows where the shoe pinches. A child is a tremendous responsibility and a depressed mother cannot bring up the child well. An unhappy mother leads to a very unhappy child.

sarandhahookedaparnauma

aparnauma IF-Stunnerz
aparnauma
aparnauma

Posted: 05 September 2012 at 2:01am | IP Logged
I personally do not support abortions unless it is a result of rape or mother's health is at stake or child has genetic disease which would make life difficult for the child and it's parents.
In Gauri's case the conditions she and J  find themselves are self made.These conditions are not irreparable.I personally feel the baby's arrival may bring in a positive change in their lives and much needed maturity in both of them..So I really hope she doesn't opt for abortion.

Rohini we are lucky in India abortion laws are quite sensible.
Only very a minority adopt staunch anti abortion stance.
I hear about the anti abortionists and their activities and the laws they wish to bring about  in North America from my sister who lives there.

You are right.The decision should be left to the woman alone.

Edited by aparnauma - 05 September 2012 at 2:16am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

sarandhaPicasso9lavyhookedadi2512tiny15

sarandha Groupbie
sarandha
sarandha

Posted: 05 September 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by rohini55

Sarandha, hooked, aparna

The thing that intrigues and astonishes me about this country is the divergence between constitutional and legal rights and broad public opinion. Whether it is voting rights or the right to abort, we in India got it all too easily without us going through the pain of fighting for these rights. If you study the black movement you will know how hard they had to work to be able to vote along with the white folks. Abortion tends to produce virulent political reaction in the west and even the most liberal politician will need to think of the consequences of espousing it as his/her belief. As against this India introduced abortion rights way back --matter of factly with no political opposition. And yet a small moral brigade among the public simply does not understand the importance and value of this right.

Maybe I'm wrong  but I'd like to get your feedback on this. From our conversation on this thread and other threads, notably one started by Sarandha, II realise that we all subscribe to a view of the world that is more diverse and inclusive. Is there a divergence between the older generation and younger generation on this? Because the most self-righteous reaction often comes from the very young. Is this my reading alone? If I'm correct on this, then why has this happened. It is not a coincidence then that the regressive soaps that have invaded teledom also come at this time as opposed an earlier era when the scripts were more forgiving and accommodating of the modern, urban woman.

excellent post rohini ...wrote a long reply so but it got disrupted with bad connection  so  just a short one for the moment Smile... completely agree with most observations here.

I think one reason behind the growing gen gap is also the influx of info age, and internet, rising consumerism, growing inequalities and social tensions rising between the haves and the have nots ...rising insecurities, bewildering variety of info etc bring in cultural fundamentalism amongst the weaker and the more insecure - they provide black and white truths and moralities and are easier for those who do not have the courage and the strong moral and ethical core necessary to deal with uncertainities and complexities ...those who possess this quality become enriched ...

As for rising inequalities and gaps and class conflicts - being an economist myself, i firmly believe in the power of material realities ...widening income gaps and class tensions give rise to deepening conservatism and orthodoxy on part of the have's in order to protect their priviliges ...while it gives rise to rising violence, tensions and fundamentalism within the have nots driven to right wing fundamentalism that accompanies rising poverty , widening class gaps etc ...

the social fabric becomes stretched and tense ...conservatism rules over progressive and liberal values ...while at the same time society becomes more and more morally decadent in other ways - by enforcing regressive moralities...

sorry so tired and sleepy so cant develop all this rambling but soon maybe... will reply to my thread later ...

chai and samosa sounds niceSmile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

rohini55

Suchi- IF-Sizzlerz
Suchi-
Suchi-

Posted: 05 September 2012 at 1:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by hooked

I think for the first time Gauri seems to be on the right track - this is of course assuming she thinks so even after a couple of days and doesn't let her scheming mom use this as another lure to bring J back.

A kid deserves to come into a welcoming, loving home - and not as a bottle of glue  to join to opposite poles. 

Gauri is right in thinking - ts over and done with - I can't keep redoing this aana-jaana business with him all my life - lets call it quits.

She's young, pretty, very capable and very desirable. She really shud begin again with someone new and her slate clean so she has no burden of hiding anything. Gauri is hardworking - I have to give her that - and she got her slap and now she shud be able to just move on.

Only after she gets her share of humiliation. Call me sadistic but I want her to repent...

She is getting easyyy wayyy out! of this mess. 

She should feel atleast HALF the pain what she caused Anandi...

Edited by Suchi-Virmanian - 05 September 2012 at 1:08pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Picasso9tiny15

hooked IF-Dazzler
hooked
hooked

Posted: 11 September 2012 at 6:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Suchi-Virmanian

Originally posted by hooked

Only after she gets her share of humiliation. Call me sadistic but I want her to repent...

She is getting easyyy wayyy out! of this mess. 

She should feel atleast HALF the pain what she caused Anandi...

Am generally going thru old posts and responding - but Suchi - I just couldn't resist this one.

Don't u think Anandi's pain was caused by Jagya and not by Gauri ? Could Gauri have done it all alone if she did not have J's backing ?

Who did Anandi feel more hurt by ? G is no saint, but G wud hv been useless w/out J and that's all I'm trying to say. J allowed others to get hurt and insulted. J forced others to tolerate his loud mouthed rude little tramp. It was for J's sake that they put up with Gauri's antics and lies and tantrums. Everyone disliked Gauri and was okay with giving her the Royal IGNORE. But they all started resenting and hating Jagya for making them put up with all this.

So J has to bear the brunt of everybody's anger and pain and he alone has to repent. Gauri was never welcome then and won't be welcome now. Gauri stayed a stranger from the start till the end. 

So her punishment is that - she has nothing to show after all this time for all her smartness and plotting and hatching. She still has to live with the fact that J may have romanced her for a while but he eventually never did fall out of love for Anandi and went back to reclaim her.

She is still REJECTED and still UNWANTED despite being a city smart professional. That is her biggest punishment.

Picasso9Suchi-aparnauma

Go to top