India-Forums

Balika Vadhu
Balika Vadhu

Soap and signals

rohini55 Goldie
rohini55
rohini55

Posted: 03 September 2012 at 11:49pm | IP Logged
Hindi soaps are full of symbols and signals. Sindoor falling on the girl's head, diya getting put out, and lots more.
While BV has been path-breaking in some respects, it is also steeped in symbols which foretell the story. That is why I had the heebie-jeebies when DS went all teary seeing J at the sagai. Once she spotted him, she just switched off from the sagai. It didn't matter to her what was happening there. This to me was a sign that she was going to protect J come what may.

DS is that kind of character. When she rooted for A and S, she went all out, not caring about anyone else. She just steamrolled over objections. She sent A after S not caring what the village gossip would make of that..

If she decides to change -- am hoping her vachan to Bhago and her earlier gratitude to devimaa for uniting A and S  will stay intact -- she will change and no logic will apply. She will  bulldoze her way through, apologise if necessary to Shiv and Devi maa but see that she succeeds in her mission,

What am saying is not that DS will necessary reunite J and A. But that if she decides to do that it will not be out of character. The changed, progressive DS would have worried herself sick over Shiv's family's reaction to J if they had spotted him. Her first instinct would have been to make sure he was not seen rather than going after him to see where he was. She didn't worry at all about his presence during an event like sagai.
She was in fct no longer interested in the festivities. This combined with Sumi shutting off the laptop -- another symbolism -- foretells difficulties in Ansh's marriage though Gauri's pregnancy shd show the way forward.

The point is how long will it be before the Singhs get to know of Gauri's pregnancy? In the interim, they have already bought J's tears and hurt. In my opinion this is totally inconsistent with DS's earlier behaviour and doesn't augur well. She was simply not moved when J was beaten to pulp by Khajan. Why is she all mushy towards him now? Why is she taking him home unmindul of how much it will disturb A?

I had said in an earlier post that the CVs shd not even show a conflict in DS's mind over A and J. Gauri's preg shd not become the reason to send him away. If DS's sympathies extend to reunitting J and A -- even if only in her mind -- her character will have been destroyed and that would be the end of the progressive matriarch. That will also be a horrible message to send out abt BV. Sarandha's discomfiture over BV not going far enough to disown Bal vivah will have been proved to be right.

That said the symbolism against Ansh is outweighed many times by the symbolsim for Ansh. In terms of signs and symbols, everything points to Ansh. To me the most powerful was the divorce sequence where they showed the JA wedding in reverse motion. A J came forever undone in that sequence...

The point

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

shamarsarandhaVsoujanyarusha4003--Udhay--

elasingh IF-Stunnerz
elasingh
elasingh

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 12:12am | IP Logged
I have a feeling that DS and more then her Sumi will change and try to unite Jaan. It will really spoil everything. Anandi too has not moved on yet in her life. Lets see what happens?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Vsoujanya

AnjanaYYZ IF-Stunnerz
AnjanaYYZ
AnjanaYYZ

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 12:54am | IP Logged
Rohini - i get ur fear, but quite simply its possible to hate a child's conduct, but still love the child.  J was wrong when he came to B's funeral as if he had some right to b there...he should ve immediately left.  Here he is hurt n broken...DS would not be a parent if she didn't get soft sensing and then seeing that.  

But, accepting J is not rejection of AnSh...DS can be grandma to both J and Anandi.  She can forgive her erstwhile pota, but still want shiv to be her Kawarsa.  

If u wanna focus on symbolism then fact is Sumi said Jugya has lost his Sauvagya (sp? - good fortune).  DS did return to the party as soon as Daadu asked her.  Also, chew on the voiceover...life has plans for J...diaper dutyLOL

Edited by AnjanaYYZ - 04 September 2012 at 12:55am

The following 21 member(s) liked the above post:

shamarTheM5393sancheetasbadambrick_redpabitra.the_RijlavyPicasso9vamitaSiriuslySujalrusha4003hookedsamvi.fastforwarddixie123surabhi01Suchi-RainbowSunaparnauma--Udhay--

rohini55 Goldie
rohini55
rohini55

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 1:18am | IP Logged
Anjana, I agree with you. In BV, the symbolism is heavily tilted in favour of Ansh. Shiv on the horse, Devi maa's blessings, pre-wedding similarities between.JA and Ansh marriage which had Bhairon wondering if it was all Ishwar's signal, Shiv rushing to protect the flickering flame, Anandi throwing the Shekhars' necklace and tthen touching it to her forehead -- it just goes on.
So if after all this, they go back, then none of the scenes will make any sense. Unless of course BV is a brave, bold statement against symbolism -- showing everything as a coinidence rather as being meaningful -- which it isn't it 
So for me, the worry is not about whether or not Ansh will happen. I know the end but I want the means to the end not to be lacking in clarity. If Anandi is shown rethining the new rishta and feeling torn by J's return, if DS regrets having fixed Ansh and Sumi too goes that way -- then all that will show the strong bonds of Bal Vivah which will confuse the viewers.I think this is the discussion we had earlier with Sarandha. BV is against Bal Vivah but time and again the plot veers in the direction of showing Bal Vivah is strong and is therefore right.

See family ties are very strong. So I totally understand A saying she feels tied to the Singhs. But in portraying this, the CVs seem to be caught between showing the Singhs as a normal marital family and a family where Bal Vivah happened. A way out is for them show A is tied to the family but not to J. Will they be able to show these complexities without losing the essence of the story and its all important message? 

PS: My text seems to have its own indepedent mind!! 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

rusha4003adi2512--Udhay--

rohini55 Goldie
rohini55
rohini55

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 1:32am | IP Logged
Anjana, it is like Shiv's character arriving at the same end through an inconsistent process. The reason why we adore him is because he is a thinking audience's hero. He weighs the arguments in his mind before he acts and the action is positive and optimistic without being stupidly so.

Suppose he were to doubt Anandi on seeing J's return, it would be so not Shiv. Yes if he felt genuinley that A still  loves J and J is good for her and decides to give her a choice, it would be Shiv in character. But if were to lose faith in his own love -- before accepting her in the end because of Gauri's pregnancy etc -- that would be a betrayal of the Shiv we know and love. Even though the end will be the same.

So the point I'm making is about the means to the end rather than the end itself.. Take that stupid serial PV. The hero loves his dead wife but is insanely jealous because his current wife spent some time with a male friend. Just not consistent. Shiv is simply so, so different. Which is what makes me invest in him, not his beefy looks which is a bonus of course.  .

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

shamardramagoadi2512--Udhay--

AnjanaYYZ IF-Stunnerz
AnjanaYYZ
AnjanaYYZ

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 1:37am | IP Logged
Rohini - its not rocket since... the CVs r crystal where they are going.  J is bogeyman to scare the audience and keep us hooked.  They r going to show remarriage...including all its difficulties like the ex that has a change of heart, oh the difficult memories one must battle to move forward, the questions of society (Sanchi), balancing of the old ties (CM ka fear n Singhs) with new rishtas, the fears, the hesitations.  Rarely have I been more certain on the whole as to where a soap is headed then currently with BV... the path there I may not know, but of the destination am 200% sure.  Am just as sure they won't mess up Shiv's character...cuz he has to be polar opposite of J.  Just like A must differentiate herself from G by not accepting G's hubby

Edited by AnjanaYYZ - 04 September 2012 at 1:39am

The following 17 member(s) liked the above post:

sancheetadramagosbadambrick_redthe_Rijrohini55lavyvamitaSiriuslySujalfastforwardhookedsurabhi01adi2512Suchi-elasinghaparnauma--Udhay--

aparnauma IF-Stunnerz
aparnauma
aparnauma

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 1:42am | IP Logged

Rohini - If Dadisa did not reach out to J it wil be very unlike her.She has seen the state in which J is in.She knows that she is largely responsible for the way he turned out - an immature arrogant child - man who expected the world to revolve around him.Most of his current problems and the way his life turned out are a result of his personality.So she blames herself for his current problems.
That is why she is reaching out to him.Because he is her unfinished responsibility.

But that doesn't mean in an effort to do the right thing by Jagya she is going to sacrifice Anandi's happiness.She may love her laadesar a lot but she has a strong sense what is wrong and what is right.She is the type who takes responsibility for the mistakes she committed. For her taking back Jagya does not mean the end of ANSH.One more thing when she found J vanished into the night she did not  go in search of him instead she went back to join the celebrations.Her heart may not have been in it but she went in for Anandi's sake.

She was like steam roller when it came to Anandi but Anandi needed to be pushed forward.However much we disliked seeing it  that is what is needed for A. Anandi however dynamic person she may be when it comes to her personal she needs to be pushed to embrace life.

About Sumi - People perceive her as a weak woman because of the bullying she takes it from DS.No she is not weak she lets DS bully her because she recognises DS's love and care beneath that bullying.
She may cry over her loss and Jagya's loss but she has the strength to do what needs to be done.
She is somebody who doesn't allow her personal loss and pain in the way of doing the right thing.
Balika Vadhu team have shown strong women and they will continue to do so.

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

TheM5393sbadambrick_redthe_RijdramagohookedKwitKattsSiriuslySujalfastforwardadi2512Suchi-surabhi01AnjanaYYZ--Udhay--

hooked IF-Dazzler
hooked
hooked

Posted: 04 September 2012 at 1:44am | IP Logged
I totally agree with you Anjana.!

Am very sure DS will stay on the straight path re Ansh. Extremely sceptical about if she will also accept Gauri back with Jagya, but it is ok to love a loved one who had gone wrong but has come back to say sorry.

Rohini - I guess you'll just have to wait and find this out. 

I love DS so much and have so much faith in the Singh's and how much the past couple of years have changed them, that I can bet anything Jagya will be accepted back only as a son of the house and not as an erstwhile beend of A.

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

shamarsbadambrick_redthe_RijPicasso9adi2512surabhi01Suchi-aparnauma--Udhay--AnjanaYYZ

Go to top