Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

India-Forums

Spice Girls Hangout:Together in grief... (Page 2)

sugar_babe IF-Rockerz
sugar_babe
sugar_babe

Posted: 03 September 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged
Double Post.

Edited by sugar_babe - 03 September 2012 at 6:00pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

--Sari--

docgirl IF-Dazzler
docgirl
docgirl

Posted: 03 September 2012 at 6:14pm | IP Logged
Rabba Ve Ladeej Hug

This was an emotional and impactful episode. After Friday's OTT drama I was worried this would just degenerate into intolerably contrived drama, but they pulled this one back and salvaged the focal story to this point. The focus... it was on Arnav, the impact on him and by implication on Khushi, so to that extent the show kept it's eye on the main prize. Clap

Sari, laued your post today - especially the notion of going with the flow, not looking ahead or getting too clever with our myriad interpretations! Star

This was a pretty gut wrenching episode too, why then was it streets ahead of Friday's episode? At least for me it was not because Friday's episode was about the baby's loss (although even the loss of fictional babies is wrenching!) but because of the awful contrivances needed to support that OTT drama. As a viewer I had to suspend disbelief on way too many levels - the use of glass shards as a trap, Anjali walking through it twice, Anjali not calling for help, not using her phone to text her husband, not stopping to pull the shards of glass out, holding onto the banister at the exact time the wire is shorted... on and on and on. 

Any one of those fails and you don't have that bin diwali ka dhamaka. This is not about forgetting about the logic boatwa - we do that routinely with fiction. It's that you need so many illogical constructs to fall into place one after another to shock the audience and garner sympathy. That feels to me like a cop out - a failure of writing. Doesn't the team trust that it can create sympathy with a more spare and elegant set of sequences? Can't the show trust that the audience will feel what the story intends? 

Ah well... today was about impact, about human emotion - so no contrivances needed. You can rely on audience empathy, particularly when Sobti trusts that the audience will "get" Arnav without having to go all OTT! If he didn't mumble, I would be applauding unabashedly but as it is this one just asked less of the audience than Friday's epi and felt more authentic. 

Both Sobti and the director need to do something about his mumbling... or cut his dialog. As a performer he really brings nuance to his portrayal of emotion. He uses his eyes and face really well, but his diction really lets him down. Many times I had to strain to listen, try to lip read or simply stop and rewind to catch his dialog. That really kills the flow of the scene, especially when he does such a stand up job of emoting.

I also wish that someone with better acting chops than Daljeet had played Di. She did fine in the denial scenes, but then there's the scene when she realizes that no matter what Chottey can be trusted to tell her the truth and she reaches to her belly to check for the physical evidence of the baby. It's a moment of transition  from hopeful, desperate denial to desolate desperate realization. Daljeet played it with the broadest of brushstrokes. Someone more competent could've really elevated the scene with a more nuanced portrayal.

The scene that stayed with me was of course Arnav's anguish... the start of the burrowing in the peetal bartan one might think, but he opened up to Khushi. It was telling that he flayed himself - HE had really, really tried, HE  had failed, HE had reneged on his promise to keep his Di safe. It was self-pity and it was guilt, it was how HE felt. Not much about it was about Di and how SHE felt. I'm not criticizing  or pointing fingers - it made sense to me. The man who  believes he writes his destiny, the ultimate control freak would react like that. It's all HIS fault, Atlas with the weight of the world on his shoulders. 

It's interesting that Khushi comes at it from a completely different school - the ultimate child of destiny, who believes every move is guided by the hand of Devi Maiyya. Yet she plays the guilt card too and more importantly the sacrifice game. The martyr complex stems from her set of insecurities of perhaps not feeling worthy of coming first with anyone. I just hope this is not a precursor to her sacrificing her happiness yet again out of some misguided sense of  responsibility for the happiness of Di and Arnav. That would be too much to bear! *fingers crossed*

Meanwhile Di --- likely thinks of no one else's misery except her own - her child, her husband, the cruel hand of fate. I don't think she sees herself as complicit in this process. After all she is god fearing, does everything to appease their fearsome powers, how could any of this be HER fault. Perhaps in some strange twisted way SHE is the most well adjusted of the three, simply in terms of being a survivor.

I know many of you felt that the OTT drama was introduced on Friday to redeem Anjali - her character was hugely unsympathetic to the audience and needed to be resurrected in a dramatic fashion.  Does this mean she will finally feel a sense of responsibility? I'm not hopeful, not until I see some character growth. I hope you're all right - I very much wanted to see the steel magnolia. But I don't think it was that at all. It was done simply to justify the return of Shyam to RM. Under no other circumstances can his re-entry be justified... I think it'll be Arnav vs. everyone else perhaps even Khushi on that issue and he'll have to cave. 

At any rate, I'd suspected show detox was imminent ---- not just yet I think! 

Edited by docgirl - 03 September 2012 at 6:22pm

The following 35 member(s) liked the above post:

Kitwatyogifaluashwink630IF_Rocks-Reva-Sunispsharmila-Maggie--Pallavi-purplenpinkcrazyaddictionIssK.fareeShegarf71howcomeRag1niHriju321joenet1234ravenheartmaaloo--Sari--soapsudsVistaapremparbatshowstruckserialwatcher16madmaxineMepharmsavvy05MentalExotica.Mandy.pixiegirlsbk2Newbiesoapfanipkbs

.Mandy. Channel Moderator
.Mandy.
.Mandy.

Posted: 03 September 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged
Sari, great post! I agree Arnav has been more of a big brother to Anjali over the years ensuring she lacked nothing in life and always wanted to see her smile. I felt for him today when he spoke about how he failed, more and more Khushi is learning more about the man she married and the turmoil he's endured. For his family he has always had to be the tough one but with Khushi he can be himself and take off the mask, she is now his rock and will be with him every step of the way to get through this. Lik you pointed out they are in this together.

Sri, loved your post!! Enough said Clap

Ippy, it looks like Khushi will step in. Khushi will be like Nani and try to calm Arnav down since it is not the time or the place to get into things. Arnav cannot create a scene at the hospital and especially in front of Anjali, poor guy is going to have to control himself

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

-Maggie-crazyaddictionzainah09soapsudsshowstrucksavvy05--Sari--ipkbs

--Sari-- IF-Rockerz
--Sari--
--Sari--

Posted: 03 September 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by docgirl

Both Sobti and the director need to do something about his mumbling... or cut his dialog. As a performer he really brings nuance to his portrayal of emotion. He uses his eyes and face really well, but his diction really lets him down. Many times I had to strain to listen, try to lip read or simply stop and rewind to catch his dialog. That really kills the flow of the scene, especially when he does such a stand up job of emoting.

I also wish that someone with better acting chops than Daljeet had played Di. She did fine in the denial scenes, but then there's the scene when she realizes that no matter what Chottey can be trusted to tell her the truth and she reaches to her belly to check for the physical evidence of the baby. It's a moment of transition  from hopeful, desperate denial to desolate desperate realization. Daljeet played it with the broadest of brushstrokes. Someone more competent could've really elevated the scene with a more nuanced portrayal.

A lovely post & spot on...If I had a rant, your above lines would be it....I may sound like a broke record and face the wrath of phangurls but BS can deliver big time if he can improve on his diction...He has great potential, I don't doubt that one bit...I will not hesitate to point this out, even if the phangurls have a ransom on me. My life is precious but Satyameva jayete...Thumbs Up
So many times I rewind but still quite can't get it...Then I just let it go coz I lose the flow...The past director's worked hard on this I suppose coz this is more evident now than before...

Daljeet fell flat for me...Her voice modulation isn't cutting it for me...Her character has so much potential...Yes, just when we thought detox times are here...

Doc, I am seriously tired of all the symbolism that is thrown around...That is where they are losing their audience...IF has taken it to a whole new level...I want to be a pea brain, get my 30 mins of simple pleasure of watching a gripping story & move on...We are all overdoing it & that is one reason we aren't enjoying this story...

Edited by --Sari-- - 03 September 2012 at 7:03pm

The following 28 member(s) liked the above post:

Kitwatnikkiaprilyogifaluashwink630IF_RocksAtyaycrazyaddictionSuniIssK.-Maggie--Pallavi-Shegarf71maalooHriju321joenet1234docgirlzainah09savvy05-Garima-soapsudsserialwatcher16premparbatshowstruck.Mandy.PSharadapixiegirlNewbiesoapfanipkbs

showstruck IF-Rockerz
showstruck
showstruck

Posted: 03 September 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged
Sari and Sheila awesome take loved to read. After Friday the main worry was it will become all about di. I am happy even if it is the focus was on the leads. I am happy to see Arnav and Khushi come this far. Happy to see Arnav confide in Khushi on his own. Happy that Khushi is being his strength.

Agree with Sheila. I still don't think we will see a strong Anjali. Shyam is coming back and there is no way he will let Anjali be strong. He will make sure Anji depends on hi
Even more, so he can get his way. Anji will become strong once she finds out about the true nature of her husband.

Let's see how long before Arnav gives into the demand of family to bring Shyam back to RM. I don't know if Khushi will sacrifice anything but she will support dadi to bring snake back.

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

ashwink630-Maggie--Pallavi-docgirlzainah09ravenheartmaaloo--Sari--savvy05soapsudsNewbiesoapfanipkbs

zainah09 IF-Dazzler
zainah09
zainah09

Posted: 03 September 2012 at 6:40pm | IP Logged
Sari..another awesome post!! Loved that you pointed out that even though he is younger he has always been the big brother to his sister..trying to ensure she is always protected..Going to follow your lead, stop looking for hidden meanings and enjoy the story as it plays out...as you stated in the end we have the ultimate power.

Mandy..I agree Manorama was the most realistic..her love for Anjali always comes through however silly she acts..quite surprised by the precap myself..I know we all expected Shyam back but not so soon but then again I didn't expect Arnavs past to be revealed today either..CV's seem to rush through everything at once or slow down altogether...

Ippy..Chotti sure showed them who the boss is and I think she is going to do it again with Chotte and he is not going to be happy about it...

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

ashwink630IssK.-Maggie--Pallavi-ravenheartmaaloo--Sari--soapsudsshowstruckNewbiesoapfanipkbs

showstruck IF-Rockerz
showstruck
showstruck

Posted: 03 September 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged
One confession, I understood BS today without having to rewind. Good for me.

Sari, I am so happy that I never see any of the symbolism.

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

ashwink630-Maggie-docgirlShegarf71maaloo--Sari--soapsuds.Mandy.ipkbsNewbiesoapfan

zainah09 IF-Dazzler
zainah09
zainah09

Posted: 03 September 2012 at 6:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by docgirl

I had to rewind some of the scenes today a couple of times and still couldn't understand what he was saying...I thought I had a bad link and even tried another link before giving up...Cant argue about his acting skills but he seriously needs to work on his diction..It baffles me that this issue is not addressed!!

The following 13 member(s) liked the above post:

ashwink630Suni-Maggie-chitrajaymaaloofareedocgirlshowstruck--Sari--soapsudspixiegirlNewbiesoapfanipkbs

Go to top