Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

-Deepzz-

-Deepzz-

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 8:41am | IP Logged

Endaro Mahanubhavulu Andariki Vandanamulu Big smile

And I am back with the next installment of RetroReel Embarrassed .. For the newbies incase they are wondering what I am yapping about...well RetroReel is all about discussing movies ...so if some body is interested in talking about some specific movie PM me or write on this thread and we can do that . Big smile

Link to the first thread : RetroReel : Come Lets Critique 

The movie I picked for this week was released in 1988. One of its first kind to hit the marquee . It was sublime & silent . Boasting actors who crossed over from their domain in  Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam , Tamil & Telugu film-dons...This movie did not need any dialogues...Just the silent expressions & body language by professional , dedicated actors spoke. The dark art house comedy  movie was released in every southern state & Hindi.

In case you have not guessed it ...It is Pushpak (Hindi) ; Pesum Padam(Tamil) ; Pushpaka Vimana(Kannada) ; Pushpaka Vimanam(Telugu) ; The Love Chariot(English) Big smile

Now I have no clue why the movie was named Pushpaka Vimanam. Confused
As per my meager knowledge..in mythology..It was the flying chariot Ravanasura used to kidnap Seetha to Lanka Nagaram. So if some one could explain why it was used to title the movie , me will be mucho grateful.

The movie starred "Navarasa Nayagan" Kamal Hassan . His association with Director Singeetham Srinivasa Rao  started with this movie..They went on give more comedy blockbusters like Apporva Sahodararagal , Micheal Madana Kama Rajan, Magalir Mattum under RajKamal Intnl. Banner

Cast : Kamal Hassan, Amala, Tinnu Anand, Farida Jalal, Sameer Khakkar , P.L .Narayana , Pratap Pothan & others

Now borrowing stuff from Ms.Wiki LOL

Pushpaka Vimana is a 1987 silent black comedy,Pesum Padam in Tamil. Indian film, written and directed by Singeetham Srinivasa Rao. The film is notable for its inventive re-casting of the silent film form. Though shot in color and featuring incidental noise and sometimes songs in the background, the film does not have any audible dialogues between characters. Instead, clever cinematography, implicit and physical communication, lip movements, and creating scenes or shots where a dialogue would plausibly be absent are used. Additionally, crafty camera placement is sometimes employed to rationalize the inaudibility of dialogue. None of the characters and the city have a name.

Plot: Set in a large unnamed Indian city (shot in Bangalore), the film is based on the king-for-a-day story.

The film follows an unnamed, almost penniless and unemployed youth (played by Kamal Haasan) whose fortunes change when he stumbles upon a drunk millionaire by the roadside. He takes the millionaire prisoner in his house and assumes his identity to taste the luxury of a five-star hotel (actually shot at Windsor Manor Hotel, Bangalore). In the process, he falls in love with a magician's daughter (Amala). He uses his false identity to enjoy a romantic day with her. Meanwhile, a contract killer is sent after the millionaire who engages in repeated failed attempts to kill Kamal with knives made of ice, mistaking him for the millionaire. Finally, after seeing the millionaire's wife lamenting over her missing husband and witnessing, among other incidents, a montage of photos showing the humble beginnings and the rise to fame of the recently deceased hotel owner) that show him a different perspective on life, Kamal decides to give up his new-found luxury.

In the much-acclaimed ending, Kamal frees the millionaire and seeks to make amends by warning him about his treacherous friend and his adulterous wife. He also confesses everything to the magician's daughter who, much to his surprise, tells him that she still likes him and throws a rose attached to a note (presumably her contact details) to him from her car as she leaves the city. However, a gust of wind blows the note down a sewage drain, implying that the two never unite.

In the end, Kamal once again stands in a long queue for a job with minimum vacancies, as he did in the beginning of the film, but with a new determination in his eyes.

Edited by SylvaniaLUX - 10 September 2012 at 5:19am

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

AahaanaPutijaChalhov..SmaTz..vanadhi--Siva--Enigmatic_AngelSweetyGreensahi.---Priya----ProudGCian-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "RetroReel #2 : Silence is Golden" in Sensational South forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aahaana

Global Moderator

Aahaana

IF General Sections

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 8:45am | IP Logged
Wow...this movie seems new for me...have never heard about it before nowStern Smile shall check it out and do my commenting Tongue

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

-Deepzz-vanadhiSweetyGreensahi.

vanadhi

IF-Dazzler

vanadhi

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 9:01am | IP Logged
that movie is more comic with a good message at last 
in tamil it is called Pesum padam but we call it pesada padam hahaha
thats really a epitome of cinematic skills ,that they glued viewers for 3 hrs without a word !!Approve
thats a good film ,really glad that u choose it . apart from this i like Salangai Oli (in kamal 's acting )

last time u asked to do retro reelTongue ,but i am not a good narrater ,ravi can do it better ...  

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-Deepzz-SweetyGreensahi.

-Deepzz-

-Deepzz-

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 9:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Aahaana

Wow...this movie seems new for me...have never heard about it before nowStern Smile shall check it out and do my commenting Tongue

U have not seen it Shocked...  U have to have to see it Approve I am sure u will love it LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sahi.

-Deepzz-

-Deepzz-

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 9:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by vanadhi

that movie is more comic with a good message at last 
in tamil it is called Pesum padam but we call it pesada padam hahaha
thats really a epitome of cinematic skills ,that they glued viewers for 3 hrs without a word !!Approve
thats a good film ,really glad that u choose it . apart from this i like Salangai Oli (in kamal 's acting )

last time u asked to do retro reelTongue ,but i am not a good narrater ,ravi can do it better ...  

True Pesada padam would have been apt...LOL Absolutely...full length movie with no OTT acting & dramatic extempo..Just expns & slick editing & screenplay Big smile  Now adays I wish the movies could be muted ROFL

You do not have to write much..Just pick a movie...what memories u have attached with it &  what made u recommend it in 2 lines...The rest of movie description borrow from Wikipedia & copy paste it... Link the movie ..poof u are done Embarrassed  Give it a shot Vanadhi .. No need for stage fright Tongue..Inga ellarume are ur friends Big smile

SweetyGreen

IF-Sizzlerz

SweetyGreen

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 11:57am | IP Logged
Wow Pushpak / Pesum Padam is awesome movie of Kamal and Amala..ClapClap

Thanks Deeps dear for sharing the entire details of this most hilarious movie..Clap

It was such a fabulous act from Kamal sir and each scene was so funny and the same time very touchy feel too..Big smile

-Deepzz-

sahi.

IF-Sizzlerz

sahi.

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 12:12pm | IP Logged
Pesun padam is one of the movies which came out with a brilliant idea as the movies will goes with silent there is Jo dialogues in this film LOL this is one of the most acclaimed movies of all time. I think this film is directed by singeetham srenivasan rao who directed the film salangai oli am I right...

The film concept is simple as kamal is a jobless person he kidnaps a millionaire and start to use the millionaire identity and live the life of the millionere as he also fall in love and in the end kamal release the millionare and start to live his own life.. The message of the film s beautiful as we don't have to be rich in wrong way we can be live our life in good way it gives satisfication in our life...

In the re recording we can only hear sound of the vehicle, radio etc which is a good idea hats of to singeetham srinagasan rao for giving a wonderful film...

I wish that we could have a silent film in this decade also we need it as after kamal every one stops to do the silent film.. I am expecting a silent film in 5 years :( but these audience have to appreciate if silent film comes. Nowadays they r not encouraging true attempt as nowadays most of the new attempt r failing to be success..

If I become director before I quit cine industry I will direct atleast one silent film. As it have more creativity we will convey every message through visuals that's why Big smile

@Vanadhi akka

U can try just give a try

-Deepzz-

-Deepzz-

-Deepzz-

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 12:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SweetyGreen

Wow Pushpak / Pesum Padam is awesome movie of Kamal and Amala..ClapClap

Thanks Deeps dear for sharing the entire details of this most hilarious movie..Clap

It was such a fabulous act from Kamal sir and each scene was so funny and the same time very touchy feel too..Big smile

Yup each scene was so funny.. From Kamal washing his shirt for his interview , to drinking tea for 25 paisa ( half empty /half full LOL)  , and the best scene I like is when he sleeps in the 5 star hotel he cannot...coz he is used to those Bruce Lee movie theatre sounds next to  his apartment complex LOL

SweetyGreen

Post Reply New Post

Go to top