Balika Vadhu

Props for Shashank Vyas & Surekha Sikri - Page 4

AnjanaYYZ thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
Mahi - we will have to agree to disagree.  

For me a Protagonist is a key figure not necessarily the only one nor does s/he have to have exist without connected to others.  Their role just has to be substantial.  Here the Protagonist are Anandi (always) and Shiv her new sidekick.  He's not a lead, but a parallel lead.  

Jugiya for a longtime has been a major adversarial force against the Protagonist (Anandi).  A resistance she has had to battle on a psychological emotional level to succeed.  That does not diminish his import to the story for me nor does it mean he's not the male lead.  He is a shape-shifting characterization.  In that he transitioned from Protagonist to Antagonist and can transition back.

Hero and Villain are two very rigid definitions...rather black and white or white and black!  But, Protagonist and Antagonist are broader definitions/terms that allows for greater flexibility and range of characterization.  Protagonist need not all b pure white and an Antagonist maybe Gray not black.  

In this story J remains gray.  A resistance A the protagonist must still overcome on a psychological level to fall in love with Shiv.  As a pseudo rival for A's affections, he's also an obstacle to S if he sticks around.

Anyway...all definitions aside...our perspective on J is very similar.  He's lead who oscillates that someday must get redeemed though he won't ever get the girl again...unless its G.

Edited by AnjanaYYZ - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
This content was originally posted by: AnjanaYYZ

Mahi - agree J oscillates btwn Antagonist and Protagonist... for now he's Antagonist...though by no measure a full villain 

Just a MISLED character as he has no thinking capacity of himself and can be fooled and instigated by anyone !😆
AnjanaYYZ thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Vandu - he's just a SELFISH SOD...whose gear is stuck on ME, Meri dhokha, meri maa, mera ghar, mera gaon, mera mera mera...pata nahi kab ayega swavera
stuti.. thumbnail
Agree. Shashank is emoting well. He has a complex character at his hand and he is carrying it out with a considerable finesse. In a way, if one still feel some empathy to this character, despite its inexcusable faults or insincerity, ironically, it's perhaps because of the Actor's sincerity to his work.
Even more ironically, as long as Jaga were screaming, flaunting or 'exploiting' their victim hood card, he was ending up evoking only a cynical disdain for his (their) opportunistic hypocrisy, but now when he is not exploiting it, we may still remember, he was indeed tossed twice in his childhood by the elders. ( also reminded of the original child Jagya). But again, today he has lost everything- deservedly so, for his abundant deceits and conceits were wrought by adult Jagya, entirely responsible for his actions. Annoyingly, he is still not cured of conceits; grieving his and only his 'losses', not truly repenting...indeed Shashank has a knotty part at his hand...
adi2512 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
shiv ...ok don't hit me with shoes but shiv can hardly be called parallel lead he don't have that character which can exist even without being new husband of Anandi otherwise his role will diminish...so he cannot be termed as protagonist in real sense

Mahi,

i disagree with your above view on character of Shiv.
i feel, his character from the beginning is moulded in such a way.,the character has a lot of DEPTH..., he is expected to step up to any kind of situation. he cannot falter even by a small bit in any kind of situation...he is larger than life... it is indeed very cumbersome for a writer to mould such a character as every one has an expectation from him come what may...he needs to be JUST always...so, i disagree that he is just a side kick or doesnot have entity other than being a new husband for Anandi...as much as the lead of the show is Anandi, she still needs to look up to him., 

Jagdish on the other hand is very easy to sketch...he has all the inconsistencies of a human being...they can play with him in any which way...he can be good, can be grey...or can turn entirely negative... but the point that i would like to make is., even if he repents and gets over all his bad traits., he can never be as good as Shiv.