Writers Corner

The Bravest Man I Ever Knew...

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

SmileyStar

IF-Rockerz

SmileyStar

Posted: 30 August 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged
Yesterday, on the 30th of August, He passed away. May his soul always rest in peace. Ameen.

He wasn't a relative. Nor was he a family friend. He was just a man working with my Bare Abbu, (Dad's brother) in his office. My Bare Abbu was his senior (he has retired now) and due to office related work, he often visited our house but not more than 3, 4 times a year. But his angelic character and his loving nature made us all feel like he was a part of our family. And ever since I heard about his death, I haven't been able to stop the tears that seep down my eyes everytime I think of him.

He wasn't that old, was in his late 50's but he had hepititus B and C as well as Liver Cancer which resulted in his death. It got me thinking that human is so helpless in the face of death, isn't he?

I remember hearing the news about 6 months ago that Uncle got shot while he was in Karachi. The very next day he was back in Islamabad and we went over to inquire about his health. The story behind his getting shot also showed how brave he was though he refused to take credit of any of it.

His brother told us that he had just returned home after shopping with his wife who went inside the house while he was helping his driver unload when 2 robbers came on a motorcycle and asked the driver to hand over the car. The driver being a young strong man refused and kicked one of the robbers thinking he could easily handle them. Thats when the other guy took out his gun and aimed at the driver and Uncle launched at him risking his life, trying to save his driver's. And in the resulting fight he got shot in his thigh and the robbers ran leaving him bleeding on the road. Thank God the bullet didn't puncture any of his main arteries and he was walking the very next day, with a limp of course but walking by himself nethertheless. And when we told him how brave it was of him, he brushed it off saying 'I didn't know what I was doing cos I was working on pure adrenaline'. But we know him better. He had one of those golden hearts that are very rare to come across.

I still remember the last time he visited our place about a month ago. He stood up from the dining table and ran his hand over my head affectionately like he always did. He had brought a labrador puppy for us, Oscar's his name. I talked to him for a while before noticing his swollen foot. He told me it was due to the bullet wound he received and then with a soft smile he asked me to remember him in his prayers saying, 'I'm going the same way as your bare abbu's.' (My bare abbu has liver cancer too). I remember the feeling of dread that settled in my stomach back then on hearing his words that were uttered so casually.

He had became such a support to the family that whenever there was any problem, all you needed to do was give him a call and he would be there. He came to our house numerous time when my Daadi got sick always arranging the ambulance and looking over everything that needed to be done. He was at our house at 2 in the morning when my Daadi died around 5 years ago. My point is, who does this all for a collegue? I admit he always held my bare abbu in great esteem but he was a gem of a person and it wasn't only us who were on the recieving end of his angelic nature.

He was rich. But so down to earth that you'd never even guess! He used to send his horses to our house when we were kids so we could ride them around. Every single cousin of my dad's side knows, respects and loved him. Even my 17 year old brother had tears in his eyes when he informed me about his sad demise.

He fell ill about a month ago but like everyone else, I kept hoping it wasn't anything serious, that he'll recover and be back amongst us. He went 2 endoscopies and that too in conscious! Even the doctors praised his courage! But his liver was damaged beyond repair resulting in his death. I went to the hospital to visit him though I never got the chance to meet him cos he was in the ICU. But like everywhere else, he had spread his charm in the hospital too. The doctors, the nurses couldn't stop praising him, his courage and his liveliness although he was just a patient like thousands others they tended to everyday.

His death came as such a blow cos I never thought he would leaves us like this quickly. He was so strong, physically as well as mentally that its just hard to register that he really has gone. Death spares no one.

But the main quality of his was the effect he managed to have on the lives of people around him. I don't think i've seen him more than 15 times in my life, still his death has left such a gaping hole in me that can never be replaced. Life is short. Everyone comes in this world with a certain life span and once it gets completed no one can stop them from returning back to their creator. But only few people are like this whose deaths are mourned so widely and who can never be forgotten. Even I, who was no actual relative of his, found myself up all night crying bitterly, unable to sleep.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

A.HajnalpakpearlChaiBiskootsnowflake.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Bravest Man I Ever Knew..." in Writers Corner forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

pakpearl

IF-Rockerz

pakpearl

Posted: 01 September 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged
Death spares no one...but it can't take away our sweet memories 4rm us...ur uncle was really a gem of a person !!! May his soul rest in peace !!! Ameen !!!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

SmileyStar

ChaiBiskoot

IF-Sizzlerz

ChaiBiskoot

Posted: 08 September 2012 at 9:17am | IP Logged
the whole thing is running in my head right now ..

even though he is a total stranger.. u can imagine a person who is out there spreading smiles ..

death  is inevitable.. but if only we could see our loved ones before our eyes forever .. till we die ourselves ..

thank u for sharing this story.. !

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

SmileyStar

Post Reply New Post

Go to top