Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Windows 8 : Do you like it or not? (Page 9)

Poll Question: What do you feel about Windows 8?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.79%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [31.58%]
3 [15.79%]
6 [31.58%]
1 [5.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Freethinker112 IF-Sizzlerz
Freethinker112
Freethinker112

Posted: 09 December 2012 at 3:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by --Kinjal--

Still using windows7
much better than vista...

Yep, 7 is definitely more solid than Vista. But Vista, after SPs and proper drivers was not too bad. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Ocean.eyes-

-Ocean.eyes- IF-Stunnerz
-Ocean.eyes-
-Ocean.eyes-

Posted: 09 December 2012 at 4:48am | IP Logged
Maybe
but i still prefer 7

I am thinking to give a try to 8 now...

No doubt for me XP was the best...
Freethinker112
Freethinker112

Posted: 09 December 2012 at 7:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by --Kinjal--

Maybe
but i still prefer 7

I am thinking to give a try to 8 now...

No doubt for me XP was the best...

Yeah, 7 is definitely better than Vista.

Yeah, you should give a try to 8. And 8 has been the best to me, 8>7>Vista>XP for me.

-Ocean.eyes-

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 11 December 2012 at 7:45am | IP Logged

Windows 8 is a mixed bag.

At first I loathed it. It is completely counter intuitive. The interface is unlike any Windows system before. You have to unlearn everything you know about navigating windows. The biggest piss off is the lack of the start menu. I didn't like the fact that run, cmd, control panel, file manager etc are buried and not easily accessible. I don't like the fact that you cannot access applications like you used to.

But the Application tiles can be fun. I got a large 23" LED widescreen monitor and the screens look gorgeous. Some of the applications are actually quite cool. For example Wikipedia has never been so stunning and breathtaking. Even Khan Academy has a great interface. Netflix looks awesome and I even have my Nook Books on a desktop app.  I have little widgets for FB, Twitter, email on the home screen. I've had fun playing with the tiles.

That being said not having the start menu and old intuitive navigation is still a major turn off for traditional Windows users. In the future updates Microsoft should consider building it into desktop mode or including a Start Menu charm. Apple should have serious competition because like Android, Microsoft plans to support open source application developers. To me the best part about Windows 8 is that Microsoft has embraced competition. They have tried to upgrade their proprietary apps to meet the moving market. Unlike apple they haven't tried to shun competitors. Firefox, Google Map and Searches, OS productivity tools all seamlessly integrate in the start menu tiles.

I think the biggest change is that back in the day in the Tablets were a bridge product as a portable device for traditional desktop users, but the Windows 8 is a bridge product for tablet and smart phone users selecting a desktop for home use. The tablet and smart phone generation will love Windows 8. The laptop and desktop generation will be annoyed, irritated and not to happy with the changes. But from Microsoft's perspective they have to cater to the next generation, not the fading generation.

-Ocean.eyes-

Freethinker112
Freethinker112

Posted: 11 December 2012 at 8:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

At first I loathed it. It is completely counter intuitive. The interface is unlike any Windows system before. You have to unlearn everything you know about navigating windows. The biggest piss off is the lack of the start menu. I didn't like the fact that run, cmd, control panel, file manager etc are buried and not easily accessible. I don't like the fact that you cannot access applications like you used to.

Hey, it's not that bad. LOL You just gotta learn some new gestures. The charms bar(right corners)and the Program Switcher.(top left). Rest of the desktop is same.

And the Start Screen is the start menu, just enhanced. You can pin and see many more things now, and can have live tiles. And opening program is same, open Start Screen instead of Start menu and start typing the name of program. It will come up automatically. Smile

But the Application tiles can be fun. I got a large 23" LED widescreen monitor and the screens look gorgeous. Some of the applications are actually quite cool. For example Wikipedia has never been so stunning and breathtaking. Even Khan Academy has a great interface. Netflix looks awesome and I even have my Nook Books on a desktop app.  I have little widgets for FB, Twitter, email on the home screen. I've had fun playing with the tiles.

Tiles are really cool. And if you don't already know, you can drag apps to side to snap. In this case, there are two apps open. One will take up 1/3 of screen while the other will 2/3. 23" is quite nice. You got the 1080p one or 1440p one?

That being said not having the start menu and old intuitive navigation is still a major turn off for traditional Windows users. In the future updates Microsoft should consider building it into desktop mode or including a Start Menu charm. Apple should have serious competition because like Android, Microsoft plans to support open source application developers. To me the best part about Windows 8 is that Microsoft has embraced competition. They have tried to upgrade their proprietary apps to meet the moving market. Unlike apple they haven't tried to shun competitors. Firefox, Google Map and Searches, OS productivity tools all seamlessly integrate in the start menu tiles.

I seriously doubt Start menu is coming back nor do I want it. And the navigation will come normal within a week. And yeah, things like search for all apps is quite nice.

I think the biggest change is that back in the day in the Tablets were a bridge product as a portable device for traditional desktop users, but the Windows 8 is a bridge product for tablet and smart phone users selecting a desktop for home use. The tablet and smart phone generation will love Windows 8. The laptop and desktop generation will be annoyed, irritated and not to happy with the changes. But from Microsoft's perspective they have to cater to the next generation, not the fading generation.

Actually the greatest thing is they have created one OS that scales up to different form factors. From phone to tablet to desktop, you have the same interface. And the same kernel. And as to the generation, desktop is there for all the legacy apps, one can ignore metro apps if they wish. Because till now, metro doesn't match desktop in power of the apps.

BadtameezDil. IF-Rockerz
BadtameezDil.
BadtameezDil.

Posted: 11 December 2012 at 10:27am | IP Logged
I've Mac, So!
Freethinker112
Freethinker112

Posted: 11 December 2012 at 10:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by __Shivani__

I've Mac, So!

So, it's already game over for you. LOL Just kidding! Smile