Debate Mansion

Windows 8 : Do you like it or not? (Page 4)

Poll Question: What do you feel about Windows 8?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.79%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [31.58%]
3 [15.79%]
6 [31.58%]
1 [5.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 10

PigBenis

IF-Dazzler

PigBenis

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged
I don't think I like the Window 8 much. I'll stick with Windows 7 now and maybe after few months upgrade to Win 8 if I find it interesting later on!

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Windows 8 : Do you like it or not? (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by be-happy-always

I agree with u for Linux ...it is not very convenient  for daily-users...but I have to use it for programming languages...I'm actually a student doing major in Computing Science...all about programming n for that purpose, Linux is the best one!

Yes, for non tech-savvy users Linux can be a nightmare. I was able to use it easily but the reason I dropped it was lack of games and quality software. Apps on lnux are not as good as their Windows counterparts.

It depends what are you programming in. Linux is preferred in the servers but for many languages IDE on Windows will be better than Linux IMO.

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 10:18pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -varun-

i do seem to like the metro, desktop and start screen. So basically you will be shown a desktop with icon link for metro and start screen applications at diagonally end corners, right? Its quite a nice feature. Loved full screen metro apps too..but what type of apps..like some movie maker or games something?

Yes. And all types of apps will be available, whatever a developer can make. The store has nearly 2,000 apps currently. Yes, games are there. Movie Maker is not there though, because that software is suited for desktop. But we will see some complex apps in the near future.

the start screen is good too as u described. I guess its a sophisticated extention of quick launch bar? Like all those updates for FB/email messages that we normally get on QLB?

Quick launch is used for launching apps, it doesn't show notifications. I think you may be talking about some app in the system tray, icons to the left of clock?

sorry, i didnt get that copying thing u explained.

Well, here is a screenshot.

See, both copy jobs are being shown together rather than in separate windows. And you have the ability to pause and resume, in this case the second job is currently paused. And it shows a nice graph for the speed of copying.

ref the charms bar..well its there below W8 versions too(by right clicking) but yes its upgraded innovatively as u described.

Right clicking brings up what is called context menu. That is still there. Charms bar gives up quick options for frequently used things.

all these features you described..in my view are more applicable to teen crowd or i should say home use..isnt it? Do u think these features will find much use at workplace where u access data thru a server and are operating on ERP? Not much use..isnt it? I mean i dont see any useful upgradation from a commerical POV. I may be wrong though!

Well, not just home users, it can be good for business users too. The various form factors with one UI will be quite good. Using the system in your office, then you can undock it and it becomes a tablet that can be easily used while on move. And when you reach home, dock it again and it becomes s proper computer again. Everything is the same and the interface is same.

And Windows To Go is another great feature. It allows you to create a bootable installation of Windows on a USB drive which you can plug into any PC and have your system ready. This is a feature that will be very useful in enterprise environment.

ref my pc..its Intel celeron 1.8 /1GB ram/40gb hd with windows XP SP2. LOLLOLLOL Its quite old but as of now commensurate with my use. Ive broadband but internet works slow as the task manager shows cpu usage 100% most of the time. I will soon buy a new pc..not now, maybe next year.

Windows 8 is quite light on resources and will take your RAM and HDD. But I think your processor will not be supported.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Lumos

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Xaffron-

I'm still using Windows 95. Just kidding!

Anyway, Windows 8 hasn't been released everywhere. At least not where I live.

I am very much happy with Windows 7. Love it!

Yeah, I got it from not-so-good place. Wink But the General Availability will be form 26th October.

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 10:22pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by PigBenis

I don't think I like the Window 8 much. I'll stick with Windows 7 now and maybe after few months upgrade to Win 8 if I find it interesting later on!

Have you tried it? Because people are either loving metro or hating it. LOL But don't just go with the reviews, try it before you decide. I used 7 since the beta, but skipped the beta and RC of 8 and directly tried RTM. I was confused due to the reviews but liked it on using and now using it full time as my main OS.

Lumos

IF-Rockerz

Lumos

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged
Hey thanks a lot for explaining it once again!
I get that copying thing now! Its cool!thanks for pasting the screenshot :)

yup i meant the system tray or whatever thats called Tongue

sorry i didnt get the undocking docking thing. Confused
Ref the bootable option, it simply installs windows right? I mean one will need to access the data stored on the pc? Also the pc on which one would install would already have some other OS installed and running..is it possible to install more than one OS on a same pc?

yup. My pc doesnt support W7, so it def wont support W8. Big smile

Vintage.Wine

Goldie

Vintage.Wine

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 10:46pm | IP Logged
 Hey Freethinka ... Tongue

Looks like we both have the same NOT SO GOOD source to acquire all the contemporary software even before they are released LOL   What lust people we are ..Sometimes a bit tetchy too ..

Well let me tell ya about the bummer of and experience I had connecting the Windows 8 workstation to a WIN 2K domain controller ...The Legacy Ethernet adapter  and the one that was built in kept clashing ..and the DHCP was configured wrongly ..Looks like their own passe system ain't yet ready for their latest BEAUTY ..just yet LOL

The worst came when I tried to mount a Volume inside and already existing partition ..A virtual one ..It erased all my virtual ones and especially the one that contained the GREAT Videos  from  " NOT SO GREAT "  source LOL What a pain in ..well whatever LOL

The Audit policy sucks big time ...The logs are too lengthy even after filtering out the information ..Much like the server logs ..The Multii routing when used as the gateway made me go bonkers ...I bet they would come up with Service packs ..1 , 2 , 3  Up to Infinity LOL

Rest of the features though (When used as a standalone system ) seem to work pretty smoothly ...Though the hardware requirement is kind of demanding ..I am thinking of allocating some ram as the cache at the start up too...Yet to try the SMTP and Telnet features ...Huh! I'm gonna be the busiest person in the world soon ...Trying to show the WORLD just how bodgy this new Beauty with all her flamboyant look is ...

BTW ..Where were you for this long ? Huh! You coulda at least called me up and told me you won't be online for those awfully long 20 hours you were missing for you Evil Thinker LOL

Gotta go now ... BB later ..

...To be continued ... LOL

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 4:33am | IP Logged

sorry i didnt get the undocking docking thing. Confused

Well, the PC is in the form of tablet. You can dock i.e. plug it into a keyboard and you have the ease of trackpad and full keyboard. The docking station ahs USB ports and video out too to connect a large monitor or TV. You can then take it out from the keyboard and use it as a tablet because it has touch screen. Like this
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HP-ElitePad-900-on-Docking-Station-Back-Right.jpg
(Not embedding the image as it is large sized.)

Ref the bootable option, it simply installs windows right? I mean one will need to access the data stored on the pc? Also the pc on which one would install would already have some other OS installed and running..is it possible to install more than one OS on a same pc?

No, it won't need installation. The installation will be itself on the USB drive. You just plug it in and you have your Windows. The PC may or may not have some other OS, that won't affect it.

yup. My pc doesnt support W7, so it def wont support W8. Big smile

Yeah, your processor is the problem.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top