Debate Mansion

Windows 8 : Do you like it or not? (Page 3)

Poll Question: What do you feel about Windows 8?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.79%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [31.58%]
3 [15.79%]
6 [31.58%]
1 [5.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 10

Lumos

IF-Rockerz

Lumos

Posted: 30 September 2012 at 11:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Freethinker112

Originally posted by -varun-

Hey freethinker!
Firstly, are you running from potterheads? LOLAges..Didnt see you there buddy!

Hi. No, actually I do visit the forum, especially the quiz thread. But, as I said before, you people are much more of a expert than me, especially you. So, I read because most of the times I don't remember the answer. And to consult the book will be cheating. Wink

LOLLOL no baba we consider ourselves still novices!!! Actually we've started a few more diff threads..have a go..if u like it u can join in!!! Embarrassed

and now back to the topic..i use XP SP2 on my outdated pc but used W7 on dad's lappy! Big smile W7 is a lot better..faster..and easier to browse. But havent had a go with W8. How is it different from W7? Im NOT a technical guy(and certainly not writing JEEWink) so pls answer from the POV of an ordinary home user. Smile 

How outdated is your PC? Can you post some specs?

You can say Windows 8 interface has 2 parts. One is what you see in Windows 7 and what we have been familiar with for a long time. A desktop, a taskbar which shows open programs, and all the programs with their open window. In Windows 8, it is just one half of the interface, which we call "Desktop" mode. The only change you will see that the Start menu is gone. Nothing to fear, as a replacement has been added.

The other half is what we call "Modern UI" which was formerly code named Metro. This contains full screen apps. There will be no taskbar or title bar with minimize, maximize, or close buttons. The app will take up the full screen. Not many sophisticated apps are available currently but the number of apps in the Windows Store are increasing. The Modern UI also contains the Start Screen, the replacement of Start Menu.

Start Screen is the new start menu. It contains "tiles", little rectangular or square boxes. They can be "live" or normal. Live tiles keep updating and show you new info. For example, there is a weather tile, which will show the current weather of your city. There is a messenger tile which shows if someone sends you a message on chat, a mail tile which will show you new mails, etc. Each tile is like a front page for apps. So, there is a Message app, from where you can chat with your friends and when you are doing something else, the tile will keep updating so that you are up to date. So, Start Screen is like an overview, you can take a look at mail, message, FB  notification, news, weather, calendar etc. simultaneously at one place. Also, whenever you receive anything like a message or mail, you will get a notification in upper right hand, no matter what you are doing.

One more new introduction are the "Charms" bar. Their functionality is tied to each app i.e. they will show different options for different apps. The include options to search, share, go back to Start, interact with devices like printers, and Settings. For example, with search, you can search for a song in the Music app. Share will let you share a picture from Photos app to FB or Twitter.

There is also a lock screen before login. It will show you date and time and also how many new mails and messages you have.

And one more good thing is MS account integration. You can tie your computer to your Hotmail account. So, many of your settings will be saved. And the metro apps you download form Windows Store will also be tied to your account. Whenever you format, you can simply login and many things will become as they were, automatically!

So, there will be a slight learning curve, because you will be new gestures to do the things now. You will now work with the corners. Corners have specific tasks now. You can switch between the Start Screen and Desktop by taking mouse in the bottom-left corner. Going to upper left corner will show you open Metro apps. To close a Metro app, you first move your mouse to the top of screen. The pointer will turn into a hand. Now you click and hold the mouse button, and drag the app down the screen. It will close. And you can activate the charms bar by going into the upper right hand corner. And many apps have some options which can be activated by right clicking. If for some case right clicking at a place doesn't bring anything, you can try going to the top of screen, where the pointer turns into a hand, and then right click.

One more feature is that you can reset if Windows is becoming slow, without disc! It is like formatting. There are two options. One will save your documents etc. and will make Windows new. Other will wipe everything and will make Windows brand new. So, now you can format without disc, from Windows itself!

There are other small changes too. For example if you are copying two things, you used to see them in different windows, right? But now, all your copy tasks are shown at one place. And now you can pause and resume copy-paste or cut-paste too. Task manager is simplified. And the Windows is very fast and responsive. Performance improvements are awesome. It boots within 5 seconds for me.

Too long, eh? My hand is aching too. LOL It is good, you should try it and see for yourself.

im extremely sorry for replying sooo late..i had completely forgotten about this post!!
well thanks a lot buddy for explaining it in so much detail.Clap 
will read it properly tomorrow as ive got to hit the sack now...

Edited by -varun- - 30 September 2012 at 12:02pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Windows 8 : Do you like it or not? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

be-happy-always

Goldie

be-happy-always

Posted: 30 September 2012 at 11:41pm | IP Logged
Well, I'm presently using Windows 7 with Linux as virtual machine on it  and mac - a separate university laptop...

But I think Windows 7 is the best OS I used till date...I didn't really like all the features of Windows 8...n I don't even like Mac that much!

Edited by be-happy-always - 30 September 2012 at 11:41pm

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 30 September 2012 at 11:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by be-happy-always

Well, I'm presently using Windows 7 with Linux as virtual machine on it  and mac - a separate university laptop...

But I think Windows 7 is the best OS I used till date...I didn't really like all the features of Windows 8...n I don't even like Mac that much!

I too don't like Mac much. I tried hackintosh for some time on my PC.

I use Linux with live CD sometimes, don't like it much but it has saved me many times from viruses.

Well, not many features have been removed from 7. The desktop side is still the same but with some tweaks.

Edited by Freethinker112 - 30 September 2012 at 11:59pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

be-happy-always

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged

im extremely sorry for replying sooo late..i had completely forgotten about this post!!
well thanks a lot buddy for explaining it in so much detail.Clap 
will read it properly tomorrow as ive got to hit the sack now...

No problem. Do reply though.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Lumos

be-happy-always

Goldie

be-happy-always

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 11:00pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by be-happy-always

I too don't like Mac much. I tried hackintosh for some time on my PC.

I use Linux with live CD sometimes, don't like it much but it has saved me many times from viruses.

Well, not many features have been removed from 7. The desktop side is still the same but with some tweaks.
I agree with u for Linux ...it is not very convenient  for daily-users...but I have to use it for programming languages...I'm actually a student doing major in Computing Science...all about programming n for that purpose, Linux is the best one!

Edited by be-happy-always - 01 October 2012 at 11:01pm

Vintage.Wine

Goldie

Vintage.Wine

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 12:08am | IP Logged
 @ The World / Everyone Here

..Its indeed very sad to see  you guys change your loyalties every couple of years. Changing the Operating System is much the same as Dumping your LOVE ..You current GF / BF ..Or Divorcing your wife / Husband who bestowed ya with their LOVE even before you Married them ... Ouch

And Why ? Cause that New Cheeky, Pretty girl who just shifted to your area has all New Exciting features ? Ouch ..Oh! Yeah that alluring mole right above her lips and a dazzling fake figure she has makes ya go head over heels for her ? Ouch 

I'm sorry to be upset about this ..But I stick to only one ..for ages ..My brains still run on MS DOS ...And I don't mind or get grumpy when I run the CHKDSK command and it shows too many BAD SECTORS in my brains ..Tongue

Blame it all on Microsoft ...Its like a Dating / Marriage bureau ..that tricks yall with a New Beauty every few years ..And they smirk as you fall for their chintzy moves each time ..Invariably so ... Ouch

Huh! I'm disgusted ..so much so that I'm leaving this World ..Err! Forum I mean ..and won't return at least for the next couple of Hours ...Cry

Thank you people ..Thank you World ..Cry

Lumos

IF-Rockerz

Lumos

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged
Thanks a lot for explaining it in such detail. Ive drawn a fair idea of whats it like, courtesy you :)
i do seem to like the metro, desktop and start screen. So basically you will be shown a desktop with icon link for metro and start screen applications at diagonally end corners, right? Its quite a nice feature. Loved full screen metro apps too..but what type of apps..like some movie maker or games something?
the start screen is good too as u described. I guess its a sophisticated extention of quick launch bar? Like all those updates for FB/email messages that we normally get on QLB?

sorry, i didnt get that copying thing u explained.

the very best thing i liked is the formatting option. Its simply wonderful!

ref the charms bar..well its there below W8 versions too(by right clicking) but yes its upgraded innovatively as u described.

all these features you described..in my view are more applicable to teen crowd or i should say home use..isnt it? Do u think these features will find much use at workplace where u access data thru a server and are operating on ERP? Not much use..isnt it? I mean i dont see any useful upgradation from a commerical POV. I may be wrong though!
ref my pc..its Intel celeron 1.8 /1GB ram/40gb hd with windows XP SP2. LOLLOLLOL Its quite old but as of now commensurate with my use. Ive broadband but internet works slow as the task manager shows cpu usage 100% most of the time. I will soon buy a new pc..not now, maybe next year.

The-Voice

IF-Sizzlerz

The-Voice

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 4:48pm | IP Logged
I'm still using Windows 95. Just kidding!

Anyway, Windows 8 hasn't been released everywhere. At least not where I live.

I am very much happy with Windows 7. Love it!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top