Debate Mansion

Windows 8 : Do you like it or not? (Page 2)

Poll Question: What do you feel about Windows 8?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.79%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [31.58%]
3 [15.79%]
6 [31.58%]
1 [5.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 10

Page 1
Page   of 10
Page 3 Page 10

Angel-likeDevil

IF-Sizzlerz

Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 30 August 2012 at 12:18pm | IP Logged
I have very poor knowledge of computers and *technology* Ouch

I'm happy with what is currently ...Windows 7 ..never really found the difference other than the 'appearance' aspect of it  :s

I'll tell my daddy about Windows 8 LOL

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Windows 8 : Do you like it or not? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 30 August 2012 at 7:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

I have very poor knowledge of computers and *technology* Ouch

I'm happy with what is currently ...Windows 7 ..never really found the difference other than the 'appearance' aspect of it  :s

I'll tell my daddy about Windows 8 LOL

Well, there aren't only changes in appearance, there are many under the hood changes too like MS account integration, better multi monitor support, improved file explorer which can now mount is img and vhd files, new task manager, it can run on ARM, secure boot in UEFI, refresh and rest options to get a clean install without re-installation, short boot times, USB 3.0 support out of the box, improved video with WDDM 1.2, Hyper-V, storage spaces, and Windows To Go for enterprise users.

slumgod.

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 30 August 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 31 August 2012 at 4:15am | IP Logged
Originally posted by UnsolvedMystery

@Freethinker
Whats your take on W8 on tablet? 

I think it is a great idea, but it will be quite interesting to see the market's reaction. The things is people are already getting locked in the ecosystems created by Apple or Android. You get a tablet which gets easy to synced with your phone or mac. That's why I think Microsoft had to step up their game and they created an UI that can be scaled from a 4" phone to a 10" tablet to a 27" monitor and to 84" or large displays. The unification will now help them created their own ecosystem.

All the tablets I have been seeing are quite luring. Surface is a hit and so are the devices that the OEMs have announce in the last days. i am specially liking the Samsung Ativ. Imagine a tablet but with an x86 processor, running an full fledged OS. That is awesome! people have been severly limited till now because iOs or Android are not comparable to a full OS like Windows running all the desktop apps. And the Metro UI would be beautiful to use on a touch screen. The Windows Store will be increasing dramatically when Windows 8 reaches general availability on October 26. The idea of doing everything that you can do on a PC, running all those apps on such a portable device is great.

And I am also intrigued by those hybrid convertibles. Use it as tablet, but when you wanna do some serious typing, just connect it to the keyboard and you have got a laptop. Those are really great. And the specifications of the devices have been also good. 1920*1080 on a 10"-11" should be quite sharp. Yes, it isn't retina but I don't think it will look any bad. They are coming with 64-256 GB SSDs, so that should give a great performance boost as Windows 8 is already very fast. The basic models with the atom processor might be slightly slow, but the ones with the i series of Intel should be quite fast.

Windows on ARM will be like any other tablet, with a closed OS that will only run WinRT apps found in the Windows Store. It will be cheaper so it will be more of a same level competition as the other tablets. People who are not power user, who simply want a little browsing, media, and simple office work will find it better than running a full OS. That in itself is good too, because Modern UI is great too and if MS works hard to attract developers then it will have a great range of apps. But I would prefer x86 to ARM. 

The only thing I think people will have a problem with is price. But they have to realize that they are getting a full OS with a greater access and not just a eye candy UI running. And also the hardware is quite powerful, and they have access to very vast number of apps.

Edited by Freethinker112 - 31 August 2012 at 4:21am

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 7:38pm | IP Logged
Come on people, no tech enthusiasts here? Unhappy

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 21 September 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged
Okay, I think a bump is justified now! LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Samraat_92

Lumos

IF-Rockerz

Lumos

Posted: 22 September 2012 at 11:36pm | IP Logged
Hey freethinker!
Firstly, are you running from potterheads? LOLAges..Didnt see you there buddy!
and now back to the topic..i use XP SP2 on my outdated pc but used W7 on dad's lappy! Big smile W7 is a lot better..faster..and easier to browse. But havent had a go with W8. How is it different from W7? Im NOT a technical guy(and certainly not writing JEEWink) so pls answer from the POV of an ordinary home user. Smile

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 23 September 2012 at 1:39am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -varun-

Hey freethinker!
Firstly, are you running from potterheads? LOLAges..Didnt see you there buddy!

Hi. No, actually I do visit the forum, especially the quiz thread. But, as I said before, you people are much more of a expert than me, especially you. So, I read because most of the times I don't remember the answer. And to consult the book will be cheating. Wink

Originally posted by -varun-

and now back to the topic..i use XP SP2 on my outdated pc but used W7 on dad's lappy! Big smile W7 is a lot better..faster..and easier to browse. But havent had a go with W8. How is it different from W7? Im NOT a technical guy(and certainly not writing JEEWink) so pls answer from the POV of an ordinary home user. Smile

How outdated is your PC? Can you post some specs?

You can say Windows 8 interface has 2 parts. One is what you see in Windows 7 and what we have been familiar with for a long time. A desktop, a taskbar which shows open programs, and all the programs with their open window. In Windows 8, it is just one half of the interface, which we call "Desktop" mode. The only change you will see that the Start menu is gone. Nothing to fear, as a replacement has been added.

The other half is what we call "Modern UI" which was formerly code named Metro. This contains full screen apps. There will be no taskbar or title bar with minimize, maximize, or close buttons. The app will take up the full screen. Not many sophisticated apps are available currently but the number of apps in the Windows Store are increasing. The Modern UI also contains the Start Screen, the replacement of Start Menu.

Start Screen is the new start menu. It contains "tiles", little rectangular or square boxes. They can be "live" or normal. Live tiles keep updating and show you new info. For example, there is a weather tile, which will show the current weather of your city. There is a messenger tile which shows if someone sends you a message on chat, a mail tile which will show you new mails, etc. Each tile is like a front page for apps. So, there is a Message app, from where you can chat with your friends and when you are doing something else, the tile will keep updating so that you are up to date. So, Start Screen is like an overview, you can take a look at mail, message, FB  notification, news, weather, calendar etc. simultaneously at one place. Also, whenever you receive anything like a message or mail, you will get a notification in upper right hand, no matter what you are doing.

One more new introduction are the "Charms" bar. Their functionality is tied to each app i.e. they will show different options for different apps. The include options to search, share, go back to Start, interact with devices like printers, and Settings. For example, with search, you can search for a song in the Music app. Share will let you share a picture from Photos app to FB or Twitter.

There is also a lock screen before login. It will show you date and time and also how many new mails and messages you have.

And one more good thing is MS account integration. You can tie your computer to your Hotmail account. So, many of your settings will be saved. And the metro apps you download form Windows Store will also be tied to your account. Whenever you format, you can simply login and many things will become as they were, automatically!

So, there will be a slight learning curve, because you will be new gestures to do the things now. You will now work with the corners. Corners have specific tasks now. You can switch between the Start Screen and Desktop by taking mouse in the bottom-left corner. Going to upper left corner will show you open Metro apps. To close a Metro app, you first move your mouse to the top of screen. The pointer will turn into a hand. Now you click and hold the mouse button, and drag the app down the screen. It will close. And you can activate the charms bar by going into the upper right hand corner. And many apps have some options which can be activated by right clicking. If for some case right clicking at a place doesn't bring anything, you can try going to the top of screen, where the pointer turns into a hand, and then right click.

One more feature is that you can reset if Windows is becoming slow, without disc! It is like formatting. There are two options. One will save your documents etc. and will make Windows new. Other will wipe everything and will make Windows brand new. So, now you can format without disc, from Windows itself!

There are other small changes too. For example if you are copying two things, you used to see them in different windows, right? But now, all your copy tasks are shown at one place. And now you can pause and resume copy-paste or cut-paste too. Task manager is simplified. And the Windows is very fast and responsive. Performance improvements are awesome. It boots within 5 seconds for me.

Too long, eh? My hand is aching too. LOL It is good, you should try it and see for yourself.

Edited by Freethinker112 - 23 September 2012 at 1:41am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

..love_arshi..Lumos

Post Reply New Post

Go to top