Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

harianant

harianant

Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:55pm | IP Logged
Sita, an incarnation of Vedavati : A story from the Valmiki Ramayan

Ravan is attracted to Vedavati
Once Ravan was wandering in the Himalayas. There he saw a beautiful maiden performing Vedic Mantras and austerities. Ravan got attracted to her and was overpowered by infatuation born of lust. He asked her as though laughing, "O devi, what are you doing here? It is incompatible with your youth. Such conduct fits ill with one of your beauty. Your unrivalled beauty generates madness born of lust in the minds of men. It is not proper for you to perform Tapas.". He further said, "O devi,  who do you belong to? What are you doing here? Who is your husband? He who enjoys you is indeed a very fortunate person in the world. Tell me everything."

Vedavati (incarnation of the Vedas) wants to marry Lord Vishnu
Vedavati told him that she is the daughter of Kusadhwaja, a great Brahmasri. Her father is the son of Brhaspati and is equal to him in respect of intelligence. She told Ravan that she is the incarnation of the Vedas and thus her name is 'Vedavati'. Gandharvas, Yaksas, Raksasas and Nagas have approached her father and sought her hand in marriage. But her father did not give her to any of them. Her father wanted her to marry Lord Vishnu and he only accepted Him as his son-in-law. Outranged by this, the king of Daityas called Sambhu killed her father while he was asleep at night. Her mother became very depressed and entered the fire taking the body of her father in her arms. Since then Vedavati has installed Lord Vishnu in her heart so that she can fulfil her father's desire. She told Ravan that Lord Vishnu is her husband. She has been observing this hard penance to secure the hand of Lord Vishnu. Thus, she asked Ravan to go away. 

Vedavati curses Ravan 
Hearing this, Ravan asked her to marry him . He told her than Lord Vishnu is not equal to him in valour, Tapas, enjoyment and strength. Vedavati asked him to stop speaking. She couldn't bear anything against Lord Vishnu. Ravan then siezed hold of Vedavati by her hair with his hand. Outranged with anger, she cut off her hair with her hand. Hastening to put an end to her life, she kindled a fire. She said to Ravan, "Insulted by you, I no longer desire to live. I will therefore, enter the fire before your very eyes, O ogre! As I have been insulted in this forest by you, O sinner, I will be born again for your destruction. I will surely appear as Ayonija (not born of the womb), the pious daughter of a virtuous man." Having said this she entered the kindled fire. 

Ravan throws baby Sita into the sea
Vedavati appeared again as an infant from a lotus. Ravan was informed that this baby girl will be his destroyer. So he threw her into the sea. Reaching the shore she came to the middle of a sacrificial ground. Dug out by the ploughshare of the King Janaka, she came up again.

"She who was known as Vedavati in her former birth in Satyuga, appeared again in the Tretayug as a daughter of the high - souled Janaka. Since she came out of a furrow (Sita), she is called Sita by human beings.
In this manner this highly meritorious lady will continue to appear again among mortals(in the following cycles), drawn out by a ploughshare in a furrowed field, like a fire on an altar" - Valmiki Ramayan

Edited by harianant - 24 August 2012 at 1:56pm

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

vids08minizzanjucooldeepti_9manzilmukulnneeiill-Suni-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Ravan throws baby Sita into the sea" in Ramayan forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

nneeiill

IF-Sizzlerz

nneeiill

Posted: 24 August 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged
thanks ..i was not aware of vedavati story.
i have heard many stories of ravan and sita. some claiming sita as mandodari's daughter.
this is new to me

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

vids08minizz

harianant

harianant

Posted: 24 August 2012 at 2:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by nneeiill

thanks ..i was not aware of vedavati story.
i have heard many stories of ravan and sita. some claiming sita as mandodari's daughter.
this is new to me

Well this is a famous story from the Valmiki Ramayan. When Vedavati incarnated as Sita, Ravan took the baby with him. But his ministers informed him that she will lead to his destruction so he threw her into the sea. So I believe that the story of Sita being Ravan's daughter has been derived&manipulated from here probably.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

vids08minizznneeiill

arti07

IF-Sizzlerz

arti07

Posted: 24 August 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged
thanks a lot lovely post as always i knew the story slight different version i knew that ravan tried to destroy the lotus flower wen unsucessful he kept the louts flower inside the box and came in lanka and asked his guard to take care of it he didnt wanted to open the box...one day the guard opened the box and found a lovely girl inside the box he immediately threw the girl in the sea and there by she went in the hollow and the stoy continues

thanks dear looking forward for next 

vids08minizznneeiill

nneeiill

IF-Sizzlerz

nneeiill

Posted: 24 August 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged
yes, i think so..i have not read ramayan..so had no clue about it..
thanks for sharing such interesting stories on ramayan

vids08minizzarti07

arti07

IF-Sizzlerz

arti07

Posted: 24 August 2012 at 3:03pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by nneeiill

yes, i think so..i have not read ramayan..so had no clue about it..
thanks for sharing such interesting stories on ramayan

actually ramayan is written so many times ppl have intrepreted it so many times that u will always find some interesting facts about ramayan..evrytime u read it u will discover something new ...thats y the charm never gets old...indian ppl worship this epicEmbarrassed

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

K__Svids08minizznneeiill

deepti_9

IF-Sizzlerz

deepti_9

Posted: 25 August 2012 at 12:32am | IP Logged
thanx for sharing this story..did not knew about it before

vids08minizz

funbuklover

Groupbie

funbuklover

Posted: 25 August 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged
There is also a story that When Sita crossed the line (line of fire) drawn by Laxman...Agni Dev took in Sita and Vedavati went instead... and after Lord Ram won the battle he asked Sita (Vedavati) to take agni pariksh (test her purity with fire) when she underwent the Agni Pariksh Vedavati was taken in and Sita devi came out...

This is one of the versions which I had heard... Smile

minizzarti07

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.