Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 3

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 3

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 29 August 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged
Well, you are treading on deep philosophy here, so I will also take a dive.

To quote Fight Club
Originally posted by Tyler Durden

You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f**king khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

You can say there are two yous, a physical one and a conscious one. If we could somehow port consciousness from our body, would we be the same? That is a question we don't have an answer to. But we feel the thoughts to be separate from the body.

Even consciously, there is not one you. You are someone else to your family, someone else to your friends, someone else to strangers, and finally there is a side of you known only to you. We construct different persona as according to our belief of how we should be behaving. Everything about our life is a narrative constructed by our self. We create an image of our self in our mind. Nobody remembers every moment of their life perfectly, so we keep on editing the memories to fit our narration. That is us in our mind. But that is also not the you. Even you don't know the real you.

So, there is no way to say what the real you is. It is derived from our brain, but unless we know how exactly the brain creates consciousness, everything is pure speculation. So, there is no right answer because every answer is possible.

So, the real question is why do we doubt who we are? Awesome isn't it, consciousness trying to observe itself and trying to make a sense of it. These things really are mind boggling.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevil

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Who are you ? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Angel-likeDevil

IF-Sizzlerz

Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 29 August 2012 at 1:27am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Freethinker112

Well, you are treading on deep philosophy here, so I will also take a dive.

To quote Fight Club
Originally posted by Tyler Durden

You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f**king khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

You can say there are two yous, a physical one and a conscious one. If we could somehow port consciousness from our body, would we be the same? That is a question we don't have an answer to. But we feel the thoughts to be separate from the body.

Even consciously, there is not one you. You are someone else to your family, someone else to your friends, someone else to strangers, and finally there is a side of you known only to you. We construct different persona as according to our belief of how we should be behaving. Everything about our life is a narrative constructed by our self. We create an image of our self in our mind. Nobody remembers every moment of their life perfectly, so we keep on editing the memories to fit our narration. That is us in our mind. But that is also not the you. Even you don't know the real you.

So, there is no way to say what the real you is. It is derived from our brain, but unless we know how exactly the brain creates consciousness, everything is pure speculation. So, there is no right answer because every answer is possible.

So, the real question is why do we doubt who we are? Awesome isn't it, consciousness trying to observe itself and trying to make a sense of it. These things really are mind boggling.
Nicely said! Big smile 

@bold -- I disagree LOL There's nothing to think when I ask myself who am I really! LOL  it looks like a abyss... i'm just looking, I know there's some 'me' there that has been me constantly watching all my life... but, faceless, no identity, no nothing.

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 29 August 2012 at 1:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

@bold -- I disagree LOL There's nothing to think when I ask myself who am I really! LOL  it looks like a abyss... i'm just looking, I know there's some 'me' there that has been me constantly watching all my life... but, faceless, no identity, no nothing. 

That's what I said, we don't know about the source so the speculations of people may be possible. 

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 29 August 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged

Who am I?

Do I go philosophical like the old 'Who am I' threads or do I quote glitter wh**e and sing "We R Who We R"?

..N3rDyM0R0N..

IF-Dazzler

..N3rDyM0R0N..

Posted: 17 October 2012 at 12:18pm | IP Logged
I had  a value camp arranged by my school recently 

The same question was there  ...

I remember the answer to be  - I am my soul  

My answer would be - I am a human LOL, any doubts ??LOL

.McFlurry.

Goldie

.McFlurry.

Posted: 18 October 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged
I am something that is beyond your knowledge.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 18 October 2012 at 2:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Freethinker112

Originally posted by Summer3

Freethinker112
I see a resemblence. ONe is a freethinker and the other thinks freely.LOL

And what exactly is that supposed to mean? I haven't even replied in this thread, yet.
Just jokingLOL
The second Avi belongs to an old buddy (but young in age) Mindbender, he always has a fair bit of humour up his sleeves.

At times when we sleep we suddenly lose all body consciousness and yet we feel conscious and alive, perhaps the link to the physical body gets disengaged. But I have not been able to hold it for long though and I guess many would have exprienced things in different ways; perhaps OBE even.

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 18 October 2012 at 2:41am | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Debate Mansion Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.