Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

munnihyderabad thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
ok sabeeha ...i did not go through all the posts but here is what goes by my understanding

i think...the doctors in Mumbai did a special chemotherapy called the Intrathecal Chemotherapy where they send the chemotherapy drug into the spinal canal  (not sure though as the show never had any details about cancer)

here is the link to it...
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/tc/leukemia-treatment-overview

A different way of giving chemotherapy, called intrathecal chemotherapy, treats these areas by injecting the drugs directly into your spinal canal to attack any leukemia cells there.

now whatever happened in Mumbai is a type of treatment which Maanvi's body could not endure...
which is entirely different from bone-marrow transplantation...(so the subtitles are wrong )

and what they mean by Maanvii's cancer spreading is that the cancer cells are attacking or infecting other organs in the body .,..

for that they need to administer a very high dose chemotherapy which can kill all cancer cells..along with cancer cells it also kills all the stem cells which help in blood formation..

in order for the patient to get the stem cells back in the body so that the body can produce the new blood.. bone marrow transplantation used to be done in the past .. now the marrow tissue is not transplanted.. instead the stem cells available in the regular blood are filtered and given to the patient, while the remaining blood (RBCs, WBCs and platelets) are given back to the donor.. meaning only stem cells are taken from the donor ..not the whole blood ..

these stem cells make their way through an undiscovered route (even the scientists are not sure of the route taken by stem cells to the marrow tissue) and go and plant themselves in the marrow tissue..there by permanently producing new stem cells which form new blood

now these stem cells which are collected from the peripheral blood of another person (whose HLA in the stem cell has to match the HLA of the patient) are called the peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC)

this transplantation has to be immediately done following a high dose chemotherapy ..and within 4-6 weeks the person will be able to get new blood which is free of any cancer cell...

so these days they are not doing any actual marrow tissue transplantation .,. which needs a surgery in the pelvic bone..It is simple as blood transmission ..

Edited by munnihyderabad - 11 years ago
delete1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: zunairawaseem

😊😊Bone marrow treatment means stem cell transplant, you can take stem cell from bone marrow, peripheral blood or umblical cord and in case if taken from bone marrow it is called as bone marrow transplant... there r many pre tests for bone marrow transplant including bone marrow biopsy to evaluate the status of disease and if bonemarrow transplant could be carried out in the patient or not without much complications...

I think in the serial they have shown the bone marrow biopsy and after that doctor said that her body is not fit for bone marrow transplant (which means bone marrow transplant can lead to fatal complications in manvi's case)

Bone marrow transplant was used more than chemotherapy in the past but nowadays chemotherapy is preferred due to high mortality rate of bone marrow transplant.. BMT is used nowadays for those who r unresponsive to chemotherapy.

But as this a serial and ofcourse cv's have to raise their trp so thats why they showed that manvi's body is not fit for BMT...(moreover history proves that more the emotional drama, more will be the TRP😳) Yes its a little bit awkward that sometime they r showing manvi dancing in the rain and sometimes she cant even walk, but atleast they have tried to mention that there come a point in the life of a cancer patient where he thought he is becoming better but in reality its an indication of disease progressing even more(and it happens really)

At least they are not showing crap like other serials in which patient's cancer is always in last stage, one or two months to survive only and then all of a sudden by miracle patient gets cured😉

atleast they are showing cancer increasing progressively and reaching to its height...
maybe in the future track there could be a call from dr.bhradwaj (mumbai doctor) claiming about the new research or something related to it🥱 but watever it would be we have to remember one thing that its a serial, not a cancer documentary film,  look at the positive aspects that they have shown much reality about cancer such as manvi going bald due to chemotherapy, lumber puncture, body pain etc,etc

and one thing more they havent used the word bone marrow treatment, dont know that consciously or not but yes they havent used the tern BMT😊

You see, this is what has been puzzling me because I was a hundred percent sure the CVs would go down the BMT route as they've been treating the cancer quite casually as of late. Why BMT? Purely because it is the most 'recognised' after chemo by the normal Tom, Dick and Harry, and that it provided the more dramatical element for the script - i.e., Jeevika being pregnant and not being able to donate and therefore either miscarries or aborts. And also the fact that the CVs are too lazy to actually do go into the more complicated stuff.

But like I said, I skipped the Mumbai ones, and I seriously can't function without subtitles so the fact that the doctor was saying that Manvi can't have any form of bone marrow transplant is pretty new to me. Hopefully they can utilise this and not go down the miscarriage/abortion route and explore the alternative treatments available. I made a post not so long ago about some of the treatments available, and I felt like the writers shot themselves in the foot regarding the cancer treatment because Indian TV would most likely focus on BMT.

If what you are saying is true, and Manvi can't handle any BMT, then I am glad because at least there's a bit of realism there. She's not a child, peripheral blood stem cell transplantation would be the more efficient option logically for her, but even that would mean Jeevika can't donate. And I really doubt they would actually go down the Cord Blood route, so I'm a bit stumped as to what exactly they are gonna do because the pregnancy must play a part in the larger scheme of things especially with all the 'chutku se pehle tu' dialogue.

@Italics: And this is where I mention the never ending debate :L I'm firmly on the other end of the debate to you as I think up till now whatever the CVs have shown is really not up to scratch. I mentioned this earlier in a previous post that like you mentioned, other serials have gotten away with mishandling cancer but it's purely because the cancer wasn't actually an integral part of the show like it is in Ek Hazaaron Mein. Most other shows that show a ludicrous miracle transformation don't have the cancer aspect as the main track, most of the time, it's a plot ploy brought in to garner TRPs.

Ek Hazaaron Mein is completely different here; they've chosen to handle this topic from the outset, and since this has been a well thought out decision, they should have realised that it needs to be dealt with a certain amount of sensitivity. You know, whatever they've shown up until now, it was more or less a given. People already know the basics of cancer - chemo, hair loss, aches and pains - they can't have not included that because the general population is a bit smarter than that. The CVs don't need praising for that because it should have been natural to move the plot in those directions if they're to show a protagonist suffering from cancer. It's only natural, or else the show would lose it's credibility and the audience would turn off as they'd be wondering just whatever the hell they're showing which isn't what they know about cancer.

At the end of the day, serial or no serial, the way this show was particularly planned out, they should be more switched on in terms of the cancer. After all, it's an illness which affects millions upon millions of people to the extent that almost everyone knows someone who is suffering or has suffered from cancer so it's just human decency to show sensitivity when approaching the subject or else you run the risk or making a mockery out of the illness.

@Bold: :L my subtitles say differently. Anyways the whole BMT issue is just one of those things which we'll have to wait and watch for. The skeptic in me says that this issue is far from over!
delete1234 thumbnail

Originally posted by: rainbow_251

i didnt get it either it was so forced and fake😆 plus had such an abrupt end too; breaks up with her in one episode realizes his real love is manvi in the next😆 i hate it when CVs adapt their jet speed pace for VirMan👎🏼 ruins the show for me at times👎🏼

🤣🤣 @ bold😛 even i dont get why they hell they're in such a hurry😕 the roka was on friday and the got engaged on wednesday with engagement starting on tuesday WTH😕 would it kill them to slow down a bit😕

🤣🤣yeah now i can also safely say they'll be VirMan only and not other people's clones after marriage😃 first duo ive seen dancing so enthusiastically that too so closely on their engagement with every else watching🤣🤣 found it endearingly cute for some reason❤️😆

regarding rain scene; i wanted one too; never requested for it on MP but did want it; yet  i seriously though CVs would have the sense to add one in after she gets better not when she has cancer😆 i couldnt digest it at all. Though the scene was great; the whole W*F is she doing in the rain she'll get ill was always there at the back of my mind😆 was even more disappointed when nothing happened to her. Get real please CVs Nia got a cold while shooting that scene and and Manvi a cancer patient was completely fit and fine😕🤣🤣

:L It seems these days they can't get any of the pacing right at all: first they drag the show at a snails pace (Virman Love Story 2014) and now they're hurtling through it like they're Usain Bolt :S They really need to get the pacing sorted out asap.

In regards to the rain scene, yup, logic was pretty much thrown out the window with that. :L you've said everything, I honestly couldn't add more!
delete1234 thumbnail

Originally posted by: munnihyderabad

ok i did not go through all the posts but here is what goes by my understanding

i think...the doctors in Mumbai did a special chemotherapy called the Intrathecal Chemotherapy where they send the chemotherapy drug into the spinal canal  (not sure though as the show never had any details about cancer)

here is the link to it...
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/tc/leukemia-treatment-overview

A different way of giving chemotherapy, called intrathecal chemotherapy, treats these areas by injecting the drugs directly into your spinal canal to attack any leukemia cells there.

now whatever happened in Mumbai is a type of treatment which Maanvi's body could not endure...
which is entirely different from bone-marrow transplantation...(so the subtitles are wrong )

and what they mean by Maanvii's cancer spreading is that the cancer cells are attacking or infecting other organs in the body .,..

for that they need to administer a very high dose chemotherapy which can kill all cancer cells..along with cancer cells it also kills all the stem cells which help in blood formation..

in order for the patient to get the stem cells back in the body so that the body can produce the new blood.. bone marrow transplantation used to be done in the past .. now the marrow tissue is not transplanted.. instead the stem cells available in the regular blood are filtered and given to the patient, while the remaining blood (RBCs, WBCs and platelets) are given back to the donor.. meaning only stem cells are taken from the donor ..not the whole blood ..

these stem cells make their way through an undiscovered route (even the scientists are not sure of the route taken by stem cells to the marrow tissue) and go and plant themselves in the marrow tissue..there by permanently producing new stem cells which form new blood

now these stem cells which are collected from the peripheral blood of another person (whose HLA in the stem cell has to match the HLA of the patient) are called the peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC)

this transplantation has to be immediately done following a high dose chemotherapy ..and within 4-6 weeks the person will be able to get new blood which is free of any cancer cell...

so these days they are not doing any actual marrow tissue transplantation .,. which needs a surgery in the pelvic bone..It is simple as blood transmission ..

PJ mentioned it before and I also read it up about it vaguely somewhere so thanks for the more detailed version :)

I've just been finding it hilarious at just how badly SP subtitle their shows, like how the hell are they gonna get bone marrow stem cells from the spinal fluid :S

I wonder how the CVs will actually handle the cancer, some of the things available these days is just mind blowing. I've came across all that ^ before when I was looking it up a while back, and I've got to say, if someone like myself can find and understand some of the more common treatments around despite being not medically intuitive at all, I would be very surprised if the writers didn't incorporate some of it into the show.

Just for dramatics, they'll use BMT, despite the fact that it's rarely used in adults, etc etc... and discard anything else that even a quick google search can find. Or they may use peripheral stem cell transplant as Jeevika's pregnancy must have an ulterior motive as well as the promo dialogue, as Jeevika can't be a donor either way.

Anyways, I'm slightly amused at the direction this topic has gone :L All I wanted was to know what was said in Hindi in the show lmao, so I don't blame you for going through all the posts :')
NivFemirist thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

😊😊Bone marrow treatment means stem cell transplant, you can take stem cell from bone marrow, peripheral blood or umblical cord and in case if taken from bone marrow it is called as bone marrow transplant... there r many pre tests for bone marrow transplant including bone marrow biopsy to evaluate the status of disease and if bonemarrow transplant could be carried out in the patient or not without much complications...
I think in the serial they have shown the bone marrow biopsy and after that doctor said that her body is not fit for bone marrow transplant (which means bone marrow transplant can lead to fatal complications in manvi's case)
Bone marrow transplant was used more than chemotherapy in the past but nowadays chemotherapy is preferred due to high mortality rate of bone marrow transplant.. BMT is used nowadays for those who r unresponsive to chemotherapy.
                         But as this a serial and ofcourse cv's have to raise their trp so thats why they showed that manvi's body is not fit for BMT...(moreover history proves that more the emotional drama, more will be the TRP😳) Yes its a little bit awkward that sometime they r showing manvi dancing in the rain and sometimes she cant even walk, but atleast they have tried to mention that there come a point in the life of a cancer patient where he thought he is becoming better but in reality its an indication of disease progressing even more(and it happens really)
At least they are not showing crap like other serials in which patient's cancer is always in last stage, one or two months to survive only and then all of a sudden by miracle patient gets cured😉
atleast they are showing cancer increasing progressively and reaching to its height...
maybe in the future track there could be a call from dr.bhradwaj (mumbai doctor) claiming about the new research or something related to it🥱 but watever it would be we have to remember one thing that its a serial, not a cancer documentary film,  look at the positive aspects that they have shown much reality about cancer such as manvi going bald due to chemotherapy, lumber puncture, body pain etc,etc
        and one thing more they havent used the word bone marrow treatment, dont know that consciously or not but yes they havent used the tern BMT😊

First a big Thank you Zunaira for replying here for me🤗Oh and you explained it very well😊 and yes they didn't mention BMT till nw in the serial but one doubt lumbar puncture is done for what? To see whether cancer has spread to CNS or to check that particular treatment (in which Mumbai hospital is specialized in) is suitable for Maanvi's cancer or both? i am not able to grasp it😕 As u said yes there are scenes which CVs took efforts to show in this soap but u noe what when they show scenes which are realistic and also potrayed very well by actors (Nia in lumbar puncture scenes) we audience tend to expect more from CVs. Hence more disappointment felt when they neglected Cancer after bald track😒 Well the Cancer is coming back so no complains nw...😊
@ bold : yes i was very much in doubt abt this scene but as a viewer Virat's explanation was convincing and after that epi I heard fans saying that it happens in reality so good for CVs 😊 Dunno whether they decided this first only or used it as escape reason since they neglected for 2-3 weeks (in serial world) Maanvi's cancer😉😆

I again read my comment above and came to noe that i am again asking u more qts 😆
Edited by Nivluvsvirman - 11 years ago
zunairawaseem thumbnail
yeah intrathecal chemotherapy is given through spinal cord but its for acute leukemias, in manvi's case they have mentioned that she is suffering from chronic myeloid leukemia, in which two mostly used treatments are chemotherapy and BMT...
moreover umblical cord blood transplant is mostly used in acute leukemias, as far as i know, maybe i am wrong😕   and mostly used in cases when you dont have a matched donor for BMT... but yes it is the option and more successful than BMT if you donot have a genetically identical donor😛
yes you r right that leukemia is the main focus of the whole serious, they should be more serious about it...
i was just wondering that if they can use the terms such as chemotherapy, cgronic myeloid leukemia, why they havent use the term bone marrow tranplant or biopsy(in mumbai scenes)... thats why i am thinking that they havent used the term consciously in order to continue with BMT later on... yes but they should have made us clear that manvi's body is not fit for exactly what? BMT or intrathecal chemotherapy😊

zunairawaseem thumbnail
oh yes again a confusion, i think they havent done lumber puncture, i think it was bone marrow biopsy, as lumber puncture is different, there you have to remove the csf to check any abnormality in it... and they have used the term "reerh ki haddi", so thats a vertibral column so its a little bit confusing... and the posture in lumbure puncture is little bit different from that shown in the serial, so i think it was bone marrow biopsy😉

Edited by zunairawaseem - 11 years ago
zunairawaseem thumbnail

Edited by zunairawaseem - 11 years ago
zunairawaseem thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nivluvsvirman

First a big Thank you Zunaira for replying here for me🤗Oh and you explained it very well😊 and yes they didn't mention BMT till nw in the serial but one doubt lumbar puncture is done for what? To see whether cancer has spread to CNS or to check that particular treatment (in which Mumbai hospital is specialized in) is suitable for Maanvi's cancer or both? i am not able to grasp it😕 As u said yes there are scenes which CVs took efforts to show in this soap but u noe what when they show scenes which are realistic and also potrayed very well by actors (Nia in lumbar puncture scenes) we audience tend to expect more from CVs. Hence more disappointment felt when they neglected Cancer after bald track😒 Well the Cancer is coming back so no complains nw...😊
@ bold : yes i was very much in doubt abt this scene but as a viewer Virat's explanation was convincing and after that epi I heard fans saying that it happens in reality so good for CVs 😊 Dunno whether they decided this first only or used it as escape reason since they neglected for 2-3 weeks (in serial world) Maanvi's cancer😉😆

I again read my comment above and came to noe that i am again asking u more qts 😆

oh yes again a confusion, i think they havent done lumber puncture, i think it was bone marrow biopsy, as lumber puncture is different, there you have to remove the csf to check any abnormality in it... and they have used the term "reerh ki haddi", so thats a vertibral column so its a little bit confusing... and the posture in lumbure puncture is little bit different from that shown in the serial, so i think it was bone marrow biopsy😉
NivFemirist thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

@ Bold but spinal cord is protected by vertebral column and CSF is present in spinal cord so why not lumbar puncture?!😕 U may be rite 😊