Mythological Masti

::Sagar Pictures' Ramayan Discussion Thread::Note pg.16 (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 32

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 6:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

I saw the other thread locked, so came here from there, even though I wasn't trying to discuss any episode, just make one observation

Namely, I think the show has done a smart thing by being a weekly, as opposed to a daily program.  That way, they are not in the mad TRP rush, and also, the cast gets the entire week to put in their best performance.  Also, the show doesn't get put under the microscope if TRPs don't do well, since it's a weekend show where that matters less.  Oh, and one more thing - by spacing it out, they give people more time to 'forget' ASR, and focus on this as it gets to the more interesting parts after Sita's abduction and Rama's war w/ Ravan.

They've also gotten DD to simulcast it, which is interesting.  Looks like they are trying to replicate the conditions of 1987 to see if this goes far.  Unfortunately, the TV landscape of India is nothing like 1987, and that's well outside their control.

I also think it was a smart move to make this show a weekly. The Sagars must have learned some lessons after DBSK...their direction is not impressive enough to earn TRPs during the week, whereas in the weekends, most of the shows are generally watched since families are together.

I doubt this will prevent people from comparing the show to ASR though, or forgetting it. Most of the people following the show are RSR and ASR fans, just to compare the shows and see if it's living up to the Sagar's reputation when it comes to Ramayan. One of the cons of making this show a weekly however, is that people will become bored after a while, because they will have to wait a whole week to see what happens next. It worked out for RSR because population was different back then, but nowadays it's the daily shows, and their element of suspense, which grabs people's interest. In that viewpoint, MSR is against more competition to live up to people's expectation.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "::Sagar Pictures' Ramayan Discussion Thread::Note pg.16 (Page 7)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 6:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Kal El

The "ball and stick" game is nothing new. Its history goes back thousands of years. Hockey-like games existed in various parts of the ancient world, from Africa to South America, Europe, etc.

Here's some ancient Egyptian and Greek 'hockey':

Historically this game may be correct, but in the treta yug? Explicitly in Ramayan? Does any source of Ramayan have that the brothers, or any characters, played something similar to hockey?Confused I highly doubt it. Plus, hockey has come to India recently only. Even in historical times India never had it, though other countries may have.

lola610

Viewbie

lola610

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 9:45pm | IP Logged
Re: the hockey thing - various depictions have shown Krishna playing a similar game before the Kaaliya Naag incident, so idk about Treta Yug but the game is in fact believed to have existed in ancient India. According to this website, that's where it originated: http://www.indiaonline.in/about/sports/Traditional-Sports.html Either way, IMO that's a very minor thing and I wouldn't credit or discredit a show based on that - nope, I do that when they show me more Manthara than Ram Wacko More of my thoughts on the actual episode later.

Re: the possibility of constricting the show to 60-something episodes, and the comparisons to earlier versions of the show with respect to length and pace - a) as others have said, I also appreciate that it's a weekly, and the fact that they have an actual timeframe in mind so we won't get weeks of fluff in between. b) I highly doubt that removing the transition scenes (like Angad's song whilst walking into Ravan's palace which was less than 3 minutes long) or the 'flowery' dialogues (which could be termed as such only with reference to their erudite vocabulary, not their duration since that is roughly the same as it has been in subsequent versions)
from the original would affect the overall episode count. IMO it can't even be termed as dragging, since it never filled an entire episode and was often an effort to expose viewers to the verses of the RCM and other such traditional poetry - not pulled out of you know where. I do, however, understand that those efforts would be in vain with today's audience since it seems that their attention spans can only last through extended sequences if they consist of romantic fluff or lovers' angst :/  If anything could be eliminated to save a whole episode worth of footage, it would probably be the cheesy close-ups of teary eyes and flaring nostrils during crying scenes that were so typical of the 80s LOL Unfortunately, those things are still a common sight in contemporary mythos and current Indian telly in general, and this new Ramayan is not song-less, either - so doesn't look like they're going to save time in either of those ways.  The makers have stated that they want to base the series exclusively on the RCM, and I personally don't think that the entirety of it can be covered in fewer episodes than RSR.  If anything, I'd agree with Vrish's point that they'll skim the story when the source material itself includes repetition - fewer sages during Aranya Kand, fewer battles shown from the war (maybe skip over Devantak, Trishira, Narantak, Makraaksh, et al. and show just Kumbhkarn, Indrajit, Atikay, and Ravan), and other similar alterations.

However, the first two episodes haven't shown any signs of such smart economization. If they were thinking that way, RBLS would have reached Gurukul in the premiere itself - no Bhaye Pragat Kripala scene, no visit from the devtas in the form of rishis, no lullaby, and definitely no fictitious insertion of Kaikeyi-Manthara moments at every turn. For that reason alone, I was less optimistic after this weekend's episode than I had been after last week's. Yes, younger viewers require simplified language, but that doesn't mean the story itself needs to be dumbed down for them.  Not being taught or exposed to shuddh Hindi doesn't make them stupid. They'll understand subtle hints; the writers need not reiterate that MANTHARA IS BAD in every other scene. Seriously, showing her reactions during the naming ceremony and the lullaby AND giving her two scenes of her own was too damn much for me, and even objectively speaking, it's no way to save time in a show that is already constrained to a certain number of episodes.  Other than that,
  • Kaushalya was a huge plus as she had been last week - very sweet, motherly expressions and clear pronunciation. Didn't like the cookie-cutter characterization of all the moms in the penultimate scene, when they're crying and accusing Dashrath of cruelty for sending their sons to Gurukul at such a young age. Would prefer nuanced writing that subtly differentiates between their three distinct personalities; not too fond of this gender stereotype fueled one-reaction-fits-all approach.
  • Toddler Ram was extremely cute; his smile at the end of the Manthara scene *almost* made me forget how pointless it was (at least until the next Manthara scene LOL).
  • And Rushiraj was an excellent choice for young Ram; his gentle, steady dialogue delivery was perfect for the character and made it easy for me to overlook the absence of a more chronologically consistent hairdo.

That's about all for this week unless anyone mentions anything that reminds me of any other initial reactions to the episode. Here's hoping that next week's episode brings with it an adult Ram who's at least as good as Rushiraj was, that we see more of him than Manthara, and that he at least sets out on his journey with Vishwamitra by the end of the episode.

PS - off-topic, but Kal and Vrish, both your sigboxes are pretty precious right now... simultaneous head-chopping and a parallel between Halkat Jawani & Disney?! Y'all win all the awards ROFL

Edited by lola610 - 20 August 2012 at 10:23pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

BhavanabKal El.Vrish.

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 6:13am | IP Logged
@Lola,

I agree Rushiraj was a brilliant choice for Ram, but unlike you I could not ignore the inaccurate hairdo.LOL I don't know, it just served as a distraction the whole time, lol, but I do like the actor himself a lot. He and Kaushalya are the Ramayan's star cast so far. Everyone else is average or below average.
I also agree that if they were planning to show a speedy version of Ramayan, what they showed so far doesn't indicate that they'll have an easy time doing it. They should have covered Ram's birth, childhood, and Gurukul in the first episode itself, and adult Ram should have entered the show in the second episode. Based on this, I'm not even sure it's true that they'll be doing just 64 episodes. The production house itself never said so, right? Only the actress who is playing Kaikeyi did. It could or could not be true.

And about the flowery dialogues comment, I know we've been through this before, and I'm not criticizing Ramanand Sagar's direction when I say this, but even my family feels that he dragged scenes out sometimes, not only in Ramayan but also Shri Krishna. For example, take Krishna's birth in SK. They showed every single shackle of Vasudev's being broken before he took Krishna to Gokul, and the scene when he was walking out of the dungeons was too prolonged and dragged out. We all were eager to see the story because it was interesting, but it took forever for Vasudev to reach Gokul and that's not something we really like.

Coming to Ramayan, in the swayamvar sequence itself after Ram rises to pick up the bow, he takes forever in doing so. In my opinion it was unnecessary to put that song where he's looking at everyone, and catches the feelings of Sita, her parents, and everyone in the sabha. For a long time he's just standing there looking at people, and that frustrated me a bit while watching the episode. I know those verses were probably from RCM, but I don't think it's necessary for a mytho to show every verse from the scripture to proove that they're following. In place of that scene, I'd have preferred RSji to show Ram showing different forms before the swayamvar, like in ASR. Even that scene is from RCM, isn't it?

That's basically what I meant. Not all the dialogues, but some of the dialogues were longer than necessary in the scenes. I don't mind the long dialogues coming from Ram, Sita, or Hanuman, since they're Gods and came to Earth to teach people, but characters like Vasisht, Sumant, and others also gave long, drawn out dialogues in the beginning of the show, and that was boring sometimes. Other than that, I think RSR's pace was perfect and wouldn't change it for anything.Smile

lola610

Viewbie

lola610

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 11:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

I also agree that if they were planning to show a speedy version of Ramayan, what they showed so far doesn't indicate that they'll have an easy time doing it. They should have covered Ram's birth, childhood, and Gurukul in the first episode itself, and adult Ram should have entered the show in the second episode. Based on this, I'm not even sure it's true that they'll be doing just 64 episodes. The production house itself never said so, right? Only the actress who is playing Kaikeyi did. It could or could not be true.
If it isn't true, then I fear this bill end up being another incomplete mytho to add to Sagar Pictures' record after JSK and DBSK because they're already showing signs of not knowing how to budget their time.
And about the flowery dialogues comment, I know we've been through this before, and I'm not criticizing Ramanand Sagar's direction when I say this, but even my family feels that he dragged scenes out sometimes, not only in Ramayan but also Shri Krishna.
Agreed, but dragged out scenes differ from flowery dialogues, and both take up far less airtime then the dragged out tracks that we get saddled with in daily mythos and daily shows in general.

For example, take Krishna's birth in SK. They showed every single shackle of Vasudev's being broken before he took Krishna to Gokul, and the scene when he was walking out of the dungeons was too prolonged and dragged out.
You're telling me?! My video cassette shows that shackle scene twice for some reason LOL As if once wasn't enough *facepalm*

We all were eager to see the story because it was interesting, but it took forever for Vasudev to reach Gokul and that's not something we really like.
That doesn't contradict what I said in my earlier post. The RSR and ASR equivalents would be those incessant minute long close-ups of teary eyes that I mentioned. Both constitute dragging, but neither is so long that dropping it would save an entire episode worth of airtime.
Coming to Ramayan, in the swayamvar sequence itself after Ram rises to pick up the bow, he takes forever in doing so. In my opinion it was unnecessary to put that song where he's looking at everyone, and catches the feelings of Sita, her parents, and everyone in the sabha. For a long time he's just standing there looking at people, and that frustrated me a bit while watching the episode. I know those verses were probably from RCM, they were. but I don't think it's necessary for a mytho to show every verse from the scripture to proove that they're following. In place of that scene, I'd have preferred RSji to show Ram showing different forms before the swayamvar, like in ASR. Even that scene is from RCM, isn't it?
I like that scene too, but as with the previous paragraph, that's not what we're talking about. Better use of time is a subjective matter; until now we we've simply been concerned with more use of time (not to mention that the this is the only type of comparison that fits into this thread since it relates to the reported episode count of the new Ramayan). It doesn't matter which cluster of RCM verses they chose to dramatize because in the end it still results in the same amount of airtime. If RSR shows Ram learning of Sita's feelings through a song, ASR gives them a telepathic conversation to do the same and even adds Vishwamitra's reaction. Regardless, both end up being about an episode and a half long IIRC.
That's basically what I meant. Not all the dialogues, but some of the dialogues were longer than necessary in the scenes. I don't mind the long dialogues coming from Ram, Sita, or Hanuman, since they're Gods and came to Earth to teach people, but characters like Vasisht, Sumant, and others also gave long, drawn out dialogues in the beginning of the show, and that was boring sometimes.
This is actually something I appreciate about the show. It takes confidence in the quality of your writing to have it brought to life by someone other than your pretty faced leads every now and then. Vashisht and Sumant are supporting characters, not extras, so letting them say at least that which is attributed to them in the source material makes more sense to me than cutting it in favor of doubling up elsewhere with either author-backed or imaginary sequences. In fact, this is one of my favorite elements of Devon Ke Dev Mahadev - it makes very generous use of its very talented supporting cast including Anasuya, Shukracharya, and best of all Dadhichi Clap

And... wow. We really digressed from the topic this time Stern Smile Objective comparisons about episode count and source choice were fine but we've gone further than that. My apologies. If needed, let's continue this discussion via PM please, so this thread may remain focused on the current Ramayan airing on Zee Embarrassed

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 12:24pm | IP Logged

Okie dokies, replying to you through PM right now. :)

Btw, I've always been curious. Which movies is the avi from your sigbox from?

Varnita.

IF-Sizzlerz

Varnita.

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Btw, I've always been curious. Which movies is the avi from your sigbox from?

Check Out Loli's Shop, U need to be there Now WinkLOL

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 24 August 2012 at 5:40am | IP Logged

Pictures of Ram, Sita, and Lakshman played by Gagan Malik, Neha Sargam, and Neil Bhatt respectively.

By vids08 at 2012-08-23

By vids08 at 2012-08-23

By vids08 at 2012-08-23

By vids08 at 2012-08-23
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Bhavanab

Post Reply New Post

Go to top