Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CravingKhana thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: minimuffin86

Suicide is harrowing... its effects are long lasting and damaging on many levels... Having lost people to it... I can't think straight when Suicide is mentioned because it is that traumatic and I become depressed for days on end, and these people weren't even close to me. The loss of life has been diluted so much in entertainment that we are lead to believe that some individuals deserve violent death, that death is justice when it never is. Death is loss of life, it's a hole in the human patchwork that can never be filled and I don;t know how it has become so mundane...

Munchy!!! I do feel honored what with seeing the famous munches on my thread and all...and i do love the Jhansi raniPhoolen devi on your siggy...for many diff reasons ...

and heres to the woman atheletes from Saudi, Kuwait, Quator...fully clothed fasting and taking on the best in the world...the simple aswer to the challenges it was imp to be there...Finsih way behind the pack with a smile and lifter chin and a standing ovation...

Death is inevitable yet we donot talk about it and in some parts it is taboo...how we die, when we die...do they make it more or less bearable...
it is about the survivor and himher having to live with that death...

Suicide is one of the hardest disicions of the one who commits it and yet harder for the one who survives it...(this is putting it mildly)...and yet we treat it so casully ...while a casual approach to sexual misconduct would lead to too many dissaporiving raised eybrows and  objecting voices 

blue.kindle thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
It is the hardest when you commit it but you survive it. 
asha... thumbnail
Originally posted by: CravingKhana

Why the pre-occupation with the tragedies of life...is it more fuel for drama...are we really such voyeurs...that we need to have so much of lives tragedies paraded in our sopa operas to make them enjoyable entertainment...

More then enjoyable entertainment I think its the selling that after having been through so much one can continue and find happiness in life. So the answer is yes. We're watching a star crossed love story and so it would deem that the both the protagonists have their own demons yet they're able to move forward in life the way most of us in the real life would be uncapable of. 

I haven't watched the episode, but even the thought that the he lost his parents to suicide whilst he lacked emotion when his wife was going down the same way, leaves a bad taste. But this is Indian soaps for you..at the end what really matters is what is shown to be portrayed as ''true love'' defeating all. With enough inconsistency to not get down to the real issues at hand, and using them as either comedy or to garner empathy/sympathy and leaving it at that...

I believe these shows are all for entertainment, expecting even a bit more then that would deem useless, and at the end of the day its because of what sells, so in retro-respect we as the audience should be the first to be questioned. How many other people would have questioned what you did??

Great post Tangam
Edited by asha... - 11 years ago
Rockerchic thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I guess as you pointed out they really don't know the enormity of the things they are showing since they probably did zero research.

I guess the thought process went something like this. 

Lets make arnav a tragic hero.
Great kill of his parents.
How?
I don't know, car crash or something.
we've already done that with Khuhsi.
Okay fine suicide then.

See zero research. just some muddled minds putting out a sub-par show. God save us for watching it.

Edited by Rockerchic - 11 years ago
Nrp77 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Great post!!!  Definitely a nice change from the usual ones i come across on this forum...

I get that the creators use tragedies to garner ratings, but that isn't even the biggest problem here.  The problem has always been, how these tragedies are being portrayed.

I understand that tragedy is a part of our reality, but it needs to be addressed realistically and maturely. Unfortunately these 'creative geniuses' (I use the term loosely) have failed to do that.  From the way they glossed over Anjali's breakdown and attempt to abort her baby to the mockery that they made of Khushi's attempted suicide, the creators are doing a half-assed job addressing these issues.

It's difficult enough dealing with these types of tragedies in our own lives, but to then watch shows make a mockery of it in the name of entertainment is beyond absurd!!!

Yes sex sells, but that alone cannot sustain a show long-term!!!

GodHelpUs thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
😡😡Nothing more can possibly be added to this thread and still sound novel. I'll probably end up rewording and restructuring the thoughts already shared herewith... Going by the responses one can be assured that a sizable if not majority of the audience continues to stay sane whilst walking the tight rope between lucid thought process and entertainment.
We know which end of the rope we are in, don't we?

I have invested my energies in reading through the entire thread and derived much satisfaction primarily because I am in agreement with em all. I should have never gotten to watching an India daily soap in the first place. Me being me can't live with questions and will be a pest till they are answered..and that explains why I still follow the damn show. 

I want my mind blown away into smithereens by the handling of the whole making of ASR , the man who rose like a phoenix from the tragedies that besieged him and continues to torment. And I want to be perpetually weaned off daily soaps. Considering IPKKND is only the 2nd daily soap I have ever followed that's quite a strong statement one would think. And oh btw, I bid adieu to Geet, the fist of Gul's venture...which started off with tackling a social issue of NRI's deceiving gullible families, marrying their daughters and cheating them off their money and more importantly strip them off their honor...Ah, Did you hear me say the word, "honor"? That word alone is a vice that cripples one for life at least this side of the subcontinent.

Little girls  ( and boys) get raped, molested, assaulted, abused but most families don't report them and probably coerce the victims to shut up for their own good. In the name of Honor.

Girls putting up with sexual advances, leering and jeering in public places and in their own neighborhood but can't do anything about it. Parents don't encourage you to do anything about it either. Why? In the name of honor.

I am digressing!!! Why rant any more than I should..

It's said life imitates art and vice versa but the exaggerations and cinematic liberties that telly shows take on in the name of entertainment is unf******belivable.

Going  by the number of Gutter Mind related posts, its clear what works for the show. CV's are pandering exactly to what the average audience wants. ( I hope no offense is taken because none is meant ). Whichever finger, including the middle, should actually be pointed towards us, the audience.

CV's don't give a rats ass crack about handling issues sensitively on a daily drama. That's why it's drama... The fact that its a fiction, liberates them from owning responsibility to sensibly portray such issues...
They are better off or worse off in the process of earning their bread and butter, which is none of an average audience's concern. So why should CV's be concerned over what a segment of audience thinks...being dismissive of that lot is easier and smarter.

But what they can't care less and we be greatly concerned with is airing our views here at IF on threads like this and take comfort in the fact that while the hopes from reel life dwindles, we have ours to keep and cherish in real life.

EDIT:

Okay .so I am pissed off,  I admit...I just wanted someone to plant a slap on ASR's cheek for asking that rhetorical question , " tumhare liye bhulna itna aasaan hai kya?' and then I wanted another tight one on Khushi yesterday for all that phere, mehendi, sangeet...blah blah, puke puke, suhaag raat blabber.

And today,one resounding, ear drum cracking one for Dadi ji...for making insinuations against the DiL. The bloody woman couldn't for the love of god see a thing wrong with her precious son who presumably brought about the whole devastation. Why din't nani ji come in time to witness this dialog and ask her Subbi to shut the f**k up for talking  like that about her daughter? Nayi soch , my arse!!!!

How conveniently the story lurches forward, with little thought to continuity and character sketch😡 People in real life have only so much of control over their lives. But whats with a bloody fiction...theirs minimum to no uncontrollable factors at play story wise. 
So ,why write BULLSHIT?
Edited by GodHelpUs - 11 years ago
Drwho thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Tangam darling,

With all due respect, personally, I feel it is a failing in the story telling. I cried a river with Khushi and Arnav last year during the episode following Arnav's parents sraddha ceremony when Khushi reveals to him, she is an orphan too...Now I do feel terrible for the tragedy that happened 14 years ago, when a 14 year old boys lost his parents to suicide...But more than that, I feel absolutely incensed by the mockery that was made of Khushi's suicide attempt. I feel angry for the tragedy that is khuhsi's life. 

Also there is no emotional depth to the script and dialogues any more. Like day before, Khushi tries to cheer him up and get him to talk, he blurts out about his mother, she hugs him, he hugs back and bingo! We are in the following morning and she is stealing glances at him! Absolutely no insight into what happened later after the hug...I haven't watched today yet so cannot comment on today's episode. 

This preoccupation with Suhaag Raat is completely beyond me! I mean grow up writers, this is the 21st Century, there is more to marriage than the wedding night!

Writing meaningful scenes and dialogues requires some effort and exercise, the short cut is tricks and treats which we have been getting for the last several months! If people on the forum are making funny, lewd and crude posts, I suppose that is a way of letting off steam in the absence of anything worth watching. We have been banging our heads against a brick wall for the last several months requesting a meaningful track and what did we get? Bubbli and Masala Mama, and now Daadi! 

Afterall this is a Hindi TV show and the writers, of their own admission are not looking for literary merit or artistic excellence. This is not a work of art by a Munshi Premchand or Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay or Tagore or Hemingway or Harper Lee.! This is a purely commercially driven operation intending to generate money and in their view this is what will get them more viewers and more money.

Also how in God's name are we supposed to feel empathy towards a pregnant woman who is not pregnant? Film and TV is about projecting an image, that is why there is make up and props etc to present a convincing picture to the viewers. They might as well act in their pajamas if they are so blase about it! That shows how much respect they have for their work. In fact I should pat myself on the back that I am still watching this improbable, implausible, preposterous show or rather should I club myself on the head.

Sorry it came out as a rant!
enigma17 thumbnail
.Edited by enigma17 - 11 years ago
Drwho thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Imagine if Ben Kingsley refused to wear a dhoti for acting in Gandhi, saying it would be bad for his 'image'!

I am entirely justified in my dislike of a certain person!

CravingKhana thumbnail
Originally posted by: Jayne

Answering the last first, yes, we are that preoccupied with sex.

As a civilization (are we really civilized?), our waking and sleeping moments are ruled by it.
That aside, I do agree that making sensitive subjects fodder for the prurient interests of the masses is something that has now become par for the course.
Suicide is actually very mild in terms of what the public can take and enjoy - stripping it bare until it stands naked; and enjoying it in all its macabre bits.

I would not be at all surprised if there are many more shows being introduced with all the truly reprehensible aspects of human nature that were displayed on Sutyamave Juhyuhtay.
Female foeticide and child sexual abuse would just be the beginnings.
They would be introduced on SP and other channels as under the rather dubious umbrella of 'social cause message', but the message part would be lost under all the detailed depictions of the devious way in which to actually carry out such atrocities.

In that sense, suicide is mere child's play for our PH.
It leaves behind broken individuals forever scarred, and what good is a hero if he does not have personal demons to battle?

The question is not if the PH has any sense of fair-play, or shame, or remorse. It's if we - as the viewers - have any piece of soul left to be sold.

Jayne

Are we civilised...thats a good rhetoriacal question.. ...for if we are preoccupied by our basal instincts then it ought to preclude us of being civilised...yet we discuss it and put up approriate barriers for what is allowed and not so i guess we are...

Re: SMJ...i think finally someone has managed to put down in words what seemed to niggle me...i am a big Aamir fan (as big as me allows it)...and yet i did not watch after the first cpl of epis)