Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon
Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Orphans and Suicide... (Page 3)

inspiringstars Goldie
inspiringstars
inspiringstars

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 11:20am | IP Logged
A very thought-provoking post.

I am a strong believer in seeing realistic issues played out beautifully by the actors on screen, and so I love some of the movies based on real issues like Rang De Basanti, Aarakshan, all movies based on real issues but handled very well by the directors. While this is not in any way related to the post, what I mean here, is when you show the lead deal with issues of such a painful past where the parents committed suicide and what not...and then that same person is not even worried for a suicidal wife...that he saw just a few months ago on terrace. Yes that track was shameful and it makes me cringe that they thought it was funny, different ways to commit suicide...I mean seriously?

About preoccupation with sex, yes we all are. Everything that we see or do these days, is driven by that physical force, some call it attraction others lust, but yes more or less, all of us are preoccupied with sex. Not just recently, but from years, yes it was a taboo subject to discuss openly, but it was still there...and it will be. That is the basic nature of the society to always delve on predetermined notions and beliefs.
On the other hand, what really worries me about the show is, why so soon? Up until last week, the track was to bring out the contract truth and possible redemption because of which Khushi will forgive Arnav and forget about the contract. And here, now he is teasing, and smirking at her for suhagraat...It makes me go, what the? what happened in between that we missed? And then in the middle of all that, bringing a grave past, and just skirting around the idea of suhagraat...it just seems out of place, doesnt it?
So yes, I guess the creatives do know that this society as a whole is too preoccupied with sex, and so bringing in mundane tracks in the middle of a serious past revelation.

Edited by inspiringstars - 10 August 2012 at 11:21am

The following 16 member(s) liked the above post:

Nrp77IFIDHeadOverHeelsAmazingAmynonasiDrwhoblue.kindleSeerialLoopsMentalExoticameera30LadyLaLasbk2Sultan_Of_SwingFairyLiquidSoapCravingKhanakbtr

nonasi IF-Dazzler
nonasi
nonasi

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 11:21am | IP Logged
Drama and tragedy attract people. Our voyeurism doesn't seem to know any limits, that's why even in real life we can't seem to help but look at the chaotic scene of a car crash.

But, an issue like suicide needs to be dealt with with complete sensitivity. Unfortunately, that's where the limitations of a daily serial format come into play: neither are they known to be subtle, nor are they concerned with anything beyond entertainment value. The anguish they are now depicting of suicide's effect is what we should have seen earlier. Suicide only ever leaves a trail of destruction behind it and it really isn't a joking matter; depicting it as such only demeans the characters and, in this case, the show itself.

As for the sexual voyeurism, those specific issues are so abominable that there is almost no debate about them being morally wrong and/or they're issues everyone has some knowledge of. People either have little to no experience with real life tragedies like suicide, and thus they aren't aware of how offensive a comical portrayal is, or their sense of escapism forces them to overlook it altogether. Confused Basically, ignorance is bliss, it seems.

Much needed post Tangy. 

Edited by nonasi - 10 August 2012 at 1:28pm

The following 13 member(s) liked the above post:

ra123IFIDoceansseaNrp77Hessa85DrwhoAmazingAmySeerialLoopsmeera30Rabba-Ve-Delenasbk2Sultan_Of_Swingkbtr

CravingKhana IF-Sizzlerz
CravingKhana
CravingKhana

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 11:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by LadyLaLa

Oh tangy this is such a thought evoking post and I am a bit too tired to delve deep for a sensible answer..

I doubt if CVs even think the way you do... for them tragedies are meant to garner higher TRPs.. They care a tuppence for those afflicted by similar incidents in real life... They don't think it out the way you do..

La u doth giveth me too credit...yet if this manages to provoke some lil conversation I will take it...

I have quite eclectic taste...and i am oed to anything...even subjects that are outside of my comfort zone as long as the force me to think beyond my conceptions and misconceptions ...

Here its as serious as life and death yet if at all all it does is conform ASR is tortured and justifies his actions...Is that all it is ...would something else have not served the same purpose...

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

IFIDHessa85nonasiDrwhoAmazingAmyblue.kindleMentalExoticaLadyLaLameera30sbk2FairyLiquidSoapkbtr

CDlove IF-Rockerz
CDlove
CDlove

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged
In my 10th grade, one of my childhood friends commited suicide jumping off the top of the highest building at our school for reason I don't want to delve here. Having had to go through the trauma of that one incident left me scarred beyond anyone can ever imagine. I spent days crying refusing to come out of my room.

My point is, the insensitive nature at which these writers handle serious issues just prove the fact that they consider that money makes the world go round. In a way it's true. But they need to realise that they have at least a little bit of moral obligation to show these issues in a responsible manner. But I'm far from being optimistic. Look at the way they are handling Khushi's character; a woman who had to go through so much pain and trauma in her short life and here she is considering everything happening around her as a mere joke.   

Tangy, these shows are based soley on commercial success. I don't for a moment think they will show these issues in a sensitive responsible matter; not unless these chanels actually develope a policy towards educating the public and upholding some responsibility for the betterment of the society.

The following 21 member(s) liked the above post:

Potatoefreakra123oceansseaNrp77IFIDHeadOverHeelsHessa85nonasiDrwhoAmazingAmyMentalExoticablue.kindlebhanganmeera30asha...LadyLaLaSeerialLoopsSultan_Of_SwingFairyLiquidSoapCravingKhanakbtr

CravingKhana IF-Sizzlerz
CravingKhana
CravingKhana

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 11:48am | IP Logged
Originally posted by minimuffin86

Suicide is harrowing... its effects are long lasting and damaging on many levels... Having lost people to it... I can't think straight when Suicide is mentioned because it is that traumatic and I become depressed for days on end, and these people weren't even close to me. The loss of life has been diluted so much in entertainment that we are lead to believe that some individuals deserve violent death, that death is justice when it never is. Death is loss of life, it's a hole in the human patchwork that can never be filled and I don;t know how it has become so mundane...

Munchy!!! I do feel honored what with seeing the famous munches on my thread and all...and i do love the Jhansi raniPhoolen devi on your siggy...for many diff reasons ...

and heres to the woman atheletes from Saudi, Kuwait, Quator...fully clothed fasting and taking on the best in the world...the simple aswer to the challenges it was imp to be there...Finsih way behind the pack with a smile and lifter chin and a standing ovation...

Death is inevitable yet we donot talk about it and in some parts it is taboo...how we die, when we die...do they make it more or less bearable...
it is about the survivor and himher having to live with that death...

Suicide is one of the hardest disicions of the one who commits it and yet harder for the one who survives it...(this is putting it mildly)...and yet we treat it so casully ...while a casual approach to sexual misconduct would lead to too many dissaporiving raised eybrows and  objecting voices 

ra123IFIDoceansseaNrp77n091505Hessa85HeadOverHeelsnonasiDrwhominimuffin86AmazingAmyblue.kindleLadyLaLaMentalExoticameera30kbtr

blue.kindle IF-Rockerz
blue.kindle
blue.kindle

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 12:12pm | IP Logged
It is the hardest when you commit it but you survive it. 

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Hessa85DrwhoAmazingAmyasha...LadyLaLaCravingKhana

asha... IF-Rockerz
asha...
asha...

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 12:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by CravingKhana

Why the pre-occupation with the tragedies of life...is it more fuel for drama...are we really such voyeurs...that we need to have so much of lives tragedies paraded in our sopa operas to make them enjoyable entertainment...

More then enjoyable entertainment I think its the selling that after having been through so much one can continue and find happiness in life. So the answer is yes. We're watching a star crossed love story and so it would deem that the both the protagonists have their own demons yet they're able to move forward in life the way most of us in the real life would be uncapable of. 

I haven't watched the episode, but even the thought that the he lost his parents to suicide whilst he lacked emotion when his wife was going down the same way, leaves a bad taste. But this is Indian soaps for you..at the end what really matters is what is shown to be portrayed as ''true love'' defeating all. With enough inconsistency to not get down to the real issues at hand, and using them as either comedy or to garner empathy/sympathy and leaving it at that...

I believe these shows are all for entertainment, expecting even a bit more then that would deem useless, and at the end of the day its because of what sells, so in retro-respect we as the audience should be the first to be questioned. How many other people would have questioned what you did??

Great post Tangam

Edited by asha... - 10 August 2012 at 12:37pm

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

ra123IFIDHessa85AmazingAmynonasiDrwhoblue.kindleMentalExoticakbtrCravingKhana

Rockerchic IF-Rockerz
Rockerchic
Rockerchic

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged
I guess as you pointed out they really don't know the enormity of the things they are showing since they probably did zero research.

I guess the thought process went something like this. 

Lets make arnav a tragic hero.
Great kill of his parents.
How?
I don't know, car crash or something.
we've already done that with Khuhsi.
Okay fine suicide then.

See zero research. just some muddled minds putting out a sub-par show. God save us for watching it.

Edited by Rockerchic - 10 August 2012 at 12:54pm

ra123IFIDNrp77Hessa85HeadOverHeelsAmazingAmynonasiDrwhovellainsaanMentalExoticablue.kindleSeerialLoops.Euphoria.CravingKhanaSultan_Of_Swingkbtr

Go to top