India-Forums

Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon
Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Orphans and Suicide... (Page 2)

Jayne IF-Dazzler
Jayne
Jayne

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged
Answering the last first, yes, we are that preoccupied with sex.
As a civilization (are we really civilized?), our waking and sleeping moments are ruled by it.
That aside, I do agree that making sensitive subjects fodder for the prurient interests of the masses is something that has now become par for the course.
Suicide is actually very mild in terms of what the public can take and enjoy - stripping it bare until it stands naked; and enjoying it in all its macabre bits.

I would not be at all surprised if there are many more shows being introduced with all the truly reprehensible aspects of human nature that were displayed on Sutyamave Juhyuhtay.
Female foeticide and child sexual abuse would just be the beginnings.
They would be introduced on SP and other channels as under the rather dubious umbrella of 'social cause message', but the message part would be lost under all the detailed depictions of the devious way in which to actually carry out such atrocities.

In that sense, suicide is mere child's play for our PH.
It leaves behind broken individuals forever scarred, and what good is a hero if he does not have personal demons to battle?

The question is not if the PH has any sense of fair-play, or shame, or remorse. It's if we - as the viewers - have any piece of soul left to be sold.

Jayne

Edited by Jayne - 10 August 2012 at 11:26am

The following 19 member(s) liked the above post:

ruffledfeathersIFIDNrp77GodHelpUsNeemsundariHessa85nonasiDrwhoAmazingAmyblue.kindleSeerialLoopsbhanganmadmaxinemeera30FairyLiquidSoapCravingKhanasbk2Sultan_Of_Swingkbtr

CravingKhana IF-Sizzlerz
CravingKhana
CravingKhana

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by serialjunkie

First, let me clear the air with one serious thing thats been bothering everyone. 

Arnav is a virgin. Bas.

Ok, now to more mundane of issues of...wait...suicide? There is nothing mundane or hilarious about it. Thats why Khushi's suicide escapade made it so distasteful and off-putting. Now, ASR who has experience with mulitple suicides in his family can take Khushi's suicide as a joke and as a matter of inconvenience really surprises me. So, it has to be concluded that the writers of this show have no clue the stigma and aftermath of suicide, they have not done any research on this issue nor do they have any appreciation for the trauma it plunges the affected into. For them this is entertainment and as long as we get a few Rabba Ves and a vague missing villain for good measure, its paisa vasool.

then again, some writers of this show had written an erstwhile show where a girl child of 10 yrs or less was shown peeing in her pants with camera zoom and focus on the trickle of the pee down her legs while an apple was placed on the kids head at gun point, and a small patch of hair on top of her head shown blown away when the apple was shot -- all in the name of entertaintment - what can i say, IPK smells like roses. 

Really...Arnav...is chotey is not initiated...kya...i need something to eat...

No its not mundane...and yet ...we treat it so...not just the creators ...us the very apathetic audience...yes its our entertainment its half an hour of entertainment and it can get our gooat enought to come to random forums and hours on end rip each others guts out (virtually)...jsut to debate the queation of IS he or Is he no...

or even more the minute angles the BD's the rare juddi showing never escape us...yet the larger than life events the scary realities alluded to...seem to just become background whitwash...

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

Hessa85nonasiDrwhoJayneAmazingAmyblue.kindleMentalExoticaSeerialLoopsserialjunkieFairyLiquidSoap

Rabba-Ve-Delena IF-Sizzlerz
Rabba-Ve-Delena
Rabba-Ve-Delena

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged
All root problems with IPKKND is lack of inconsistency. Standard answer.

To be frank, it's been said already but the writers are simply wasting the talent they have in this show in the form of Barun, Sanaya, Daljeet, Jayshree T with these dribble drabble scenes that deal with real life tragedies such as being orphaned and suicide.

They present these issues but deal with them in a lack lustre manner, when Khushi was abandoned by the Gupta's the night she was forced to marry Arnav, they dealt with it but so briefly but Sanaya managed to excel.
The irony of it all right now is how they're attempting to show the biggest tragedy of Arnav's existence is the fact his parents committed suicide yet previously Khushi's suicide attempt was dealt with so comically.

But I think us as viewers, we're fickle, if the drama delves too much into drama we complain if it indulges in comedy we all so cry out in frustration and the show sadly can longer get that initial balance of comedy, drama, romance etc ... daily soaps in a nut shell.
All trps, nothing else.
Constant change.

The following 22 member(s) liked the above post:

ruffledfeathersIFIDNrp77GodHelpUsHessa85HeadOverHeelsinspiringstarsnonasiDrwhoJayneAmazingAmyvellainsaanbhanganLadyLaLameera30SeerialLoopssbk2Sultan_Of_SwingkbtrGodhuliLogonFairyLiquidSoapCravingKhana

FairyLiquidSoap IF-Sizzlerz
FairyLiquidSoap
FairyLiquidSoap

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:52am | IP Logged

Tangy love workingOuch but really had to answer the post as I found it thought provokingClap

I think we are a nation of voyeurs and love to indulge in Schadenfrauede or malicious pleasure in another's misery as long as it is not in our backyard and we are not personally the recipients. It panders to the feeling of phew it's someone else not us so we can continue to feel a bit smug and self righteous without having to worry

To give the devil it s due sometimes certain life experiences are also shown on TV to create a feeling of empathy that the lay viewer can also identify with and may try to derive some solace or heavens who knows even a solution and that also helps the TRP

We are the most hypocritical nation when it comes to sex we are doing it all the time but ask any one how we are one billion and counting they would like to say born immaculately so of course there will be a hue and cry when it comes to all those subjects-  all Taboo and to be  hid under Mount Abu. If the moral brigade could have their way the Khajuraho monuments would be completely swathed in cloth and the Kamasutra banned except for their eyes only

The CV's made a mockery of KKG's pain by reducing the suicide bid  to a comedy track thereby not just demeaning her but so many who have either survived the desperate need behind that last resort or have left this earth leaving their loved ones inconsolable and grieving I felt quite disgusted

When it came to his revelation it was treated as life altering tragedy a solemn moment which was supposed to elicit tears and a TRP rise How does one explain that selective piece of bias? Who can we blame it on? I don't think the TRP audience bought either track nor did I

I am not surprised over the two faced double standards it becomes a coping mechanism for ignorance and fear of change

The following 23 member(s) liked the above post:

ra123ruffledfeathersIFIDNrp77oceansseaHessa85HeadOverHeelsinspiringstarsJayneAmazingAmynonasiDrwhoMentalExoticaasha...LadyLaLameera30SeerialLoopsblue.kindleRabba-Ve-Delenasbk2Sultan_Of_SwingCravingKhanakbtr

meera30 IF-Rockerz
meera30
meera30

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged
This is a very serious question, Tangy

Sex sells. And everything that alludes to something related is titillating in weird ways because the subject is simply so taboo and hush hush in India. Hence the curiosity, the reaction, the outrage, the sympathy

Life in India is hardly valued. The laws of this nation will tell you that.

So it doesnt surprise me that issues like suicide are treated almost casually.

My mind was screaming revolt when Arnav revealed that his lost both his parents to suicide and yet it made no difference to him when he supported Khushi in using that argument to get Akasha nd Payal together and worse when she uses the same route to tell him she is freeing him of her later when she is on the terrace!

What can I say Tangy, expecting sensitivity at the prime time slot seems to be almost as stupid as expecting logic!

The following 23 member(s) liked the above post:

ruffledfeathersoceanssearvarierNrp77GodHelpUsIFIDHeadOverHeelsinspiringstarsappy_12Hessa85JayneAmazingAmynonasiDrwhoMentalExoticaasha...LadyLaLa.Euphoria.blue.kindlekbtrSultan_Of_SwingCravingKhanaRabba-Ve-Delena

HeadOverHeels Goldie
HeadOverHeels
HeadOverHeels

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:55am | IP Logged
Sex sells, and when you throw in the arrogant, cocksure male, versus the blushing and quivering waif like female, sex then soars in sales to epic proportions, because it successfully dampens things down south. 

Dramatizing that which is dark works well if done tastefully enough. But the obvious lack of research, and laziness which surrounds such plots and story lines in certain shows/movies etc. makes me cringe. And of course we as a society prefer to judge first, then analyse, and that too if we're able to make time for it. They throw it at us, and we either lap it up, or dismiss it as irrelevant. Discussions like this one however, are what should arise from what we're exposed to, in whatever form.

On a side note... for a channel which boasts a more forward way of thinking (for women?) continues to do injustice to females everywhere. The continuous insistence that a woman needs only a man to keep her standing firm and secure is nauseating, while portraying that a man needs a woman only to soften his heart while hardening his other assets simultaneously is gag inducing.

As for the idea that the male lead in this particular show is a virgin, yet manages to express such a sure attitude towards sex is at best ignorant, to put it mildly.

The following 28 member(s) liked the above post:

ruffledfeathersoceansseaIFIDcmileyfreakymaliNrp77GodHelpUsn091505inspiringstarsNeemsundariTeleFanHessa85JayneAmazingAmynonasiDrwhominimuffin86meera30LadyLaLaSeerialLoops.Euphoria.blue.kindleMentalExoticaFairyLiquidSoapCravingKhanakbtrsbk2Sultan_Of_Swing

ra123 Groupbie
ra123
ra123

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 11:14am | IP Logged
Growing up there used to be this serial called Udaan. It was partially inspired by Kiran Bedi and was about this girl and her strive and thirst for achievement and becoming an IPS officer. It was such an awesome serial. I was pretty young then, so my impressions and expectations might have been a bit dilute back then, but the handling of the issue, the portrayal, the story, everything was done far more tastefully and simplistically and that too by people who were just beginning their careers.

Suicide, death, abortion, miscarriages - too many real people scarred for life - the sensibility to handle situations in reel is rare. You know I loved Taare Zameen Par.

But tragedy builds character I guess. So they incorporate it without knowing how to deal with it...

On that note, ott

Dad: Bug bites build character.
Calvin: Yeah, and last year you said diarrhea builds character.
Dad: So think what a fine young man you're growing up to be.
Calvin: ...If all this character doesn't kill me first.

And for Anjali, i have another Calvin and Hobbes quote
It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

The following 20 member(s) liked the above post:

ruffledfeathersNrp77GodHelpUsmaliIFIDoceansseaTeleFanHessa85JayneAmazingAmynonasiDrwhoMentalExoticablue.kindlemeera30LadyLaLa.Euphoria.Sultan_Of_SwingFairyLiquidSoapCravingKhana

blue.kindle IF-Rockerz
blue.kindle
blue.kindle

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 11:19am | IP Logged
Are they  meant to elicit an emotional response from the viewer for shock value, or are they  techniques meant to encourage dialogue in what is one of our society's greatest taboos: sex and suicide? Are we participating in the lowest form of voyeurism? Or are we crossing over into shameless sensationalism at times.

The following 15 member(s) liked the above post:

Nrp77GodHelpUsIFIDHessa85JayneAmazingAmynonasiDrwhoSeerialLoopsasha...LadyLaLasbk2FairyLiquidSoapCravingKhanaRabba-Ve-Delena

Go to top