Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Orphans and Suicide... (Page 11)

FairyLiquidSoap IF-Sizzlerz
FairyLiquidSoap
FairyLiquidSoap

Posted: 11 August 2012 at 7:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by CravingKhana

Originally posted by FairyLiquidSoap

Tangy love workingOuch but really had to answer the post as I found it thought provokingClap

I think we are a nation of voyeurs and love to indulge in Schadenfrauede or malicious pleasure in another's misery as long as it is not in our backyard and we are not personally the recipients. It panders to the feeling of phew it's someone else not us so we can continue to feel a bit smug and self righteous without having to worry

To give the devil it s due sometimes certain life experiences are also shown on TV to create a feeling of empathy that the lay viewer can also identify with and may try to derive some solace or heavens who knows even a solution and that also helps the TRP

We are the most hypocritical nation when it comes to sex we are doing it all the time but ask any one how we are one billion and counting they would like to say born immaculately so of course there will be a hue and cry when it comes to all those subjects-  all Taboo and to be  hid under Mount Abu. If the moral brigade could have their way the Khajuraho monuments would be completely swathed in cloth and the Kamasutra banned except for their eyes only

The CV's made a mockery of KKG's pain by reducing the suicide bid  to a comedy track thereby not just demeaning her but so many who have either survived the desperate need behind that last resort or have left this earth leaving their loved ones inconsolable and grieving I felt quite disgusted

When it came to his revelation it was treated as life altering tragedy a solemn moment which was supposed to elicit tears and a TRP rise How does one explain that selective piece of bias? Who can we blame it on? I don't think the TRP audience bought either track nor did I

I am not surprised over the two faced double standards it becomes a coping mechanism for ignorance and fear of change

I read that as love working..then figured it was me u loved...LOL

and darn girl just when i was thinking jeesh this sounds like german to me ...it was [email protected]

Swathi I am not against exploiting life experience...and rising out of such tragedy gives the charactor the depth for his much too uptight and closed personality and the bond between the siblings...yet i have this feeling that the whole they both commitied suicide was  more of a stunt to raise sympathy and shock value...

what say after this heavy convo with Daadi...mon comes and he will be playing footsie with kushi wanting Su Gaag

what a difference a comma can make mea culpa
and the spoiler just confirmed it
all about their need to get hot and heavy and yes more silliness which i am sure will be lapped up by many gag me with a spoon
tangy they portrayed one as a comedic track and the other meant to make us feel sentimetal and sorry for him that is where i feel they tried to make a monkey out of the viewer  Angry

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

IFIDkarismaCravingKhana

Neemsundari Goldie
Neemsundari
Neemsundari

Posted: 11 August 2012 at 8:01am | IP Logged
This serial reminds me of an aspiring Bollywood heroine-- a fine actress who longs for 'meaningful' roles and proves her capability to essay them time and again, but ends up selling herself cheap for item numbers. Because guess what, item numbers sell-- and she needs to remain in public view.

Part of the reason I first liked this show was its attempts at symbolism, and occasionally scintillating writing. I'm a writer by profession, and I loved a few scenes here and there.

But I soon discovered its dual personality-- one, serious, sensitive, the other, slapstick, hammy, crass. It alternates between the two, depending on which side wins at that moment, the classical beat of good writing or the raunchy gyrations for the TRP baba, who like any respectable dhongi swami, puts forward whimsical demands. And the showmasters oblige.

So suicides become comedy one moment, tragedy the next, melodrama at yet another time-- as do marriages. Sex becomes a subtle play at one time, and an overplayed hand at another.

Basically-- the folks who run this show have fortunately, or unfortunately, been bestowed with talent, skill, and a distinguished mindset, but they choose to swing between their true nature, and selling themselves for TRP. The only thing consistent about them is their inconsistency, and lack of respect for logic and research.

The only good thing that remains for me about this show are discussions like this one on IF, where I meet women I respect, whose opinions I can evaluate and agree with-- while I wait for that next moment when the showmasters rise in brilliance-- only to slump back into inevitable darkness.

Edited by Neemsundari - 11 August 2012 at 8:02am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

pdj_71IFIDkarismameera30CravingKhanaRabba-Ve-Delena

karisma Goldie
karisma
karisma

Posted: 11 August 2012 at 9:39am | IP Logged

I've read through. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

And I apologise. Koz for once I'll probably sound very immature by making a heartfelt and desperate appeal to the covert CVs around to at least throw in a line for kids that suicide is wrong.

The light-hearted way CVs threw in the suicide issue makes me SICK and I don't care for TRP-raising viewers that get titillated by the picture of a baby's genital connoting "Chotey's Chotey" or the likes. 

As opposed to the memories that stay with those viewers, what is being overlooked  is the state of those in their early to late childhood who've potentially been left with the word suicide resounding in their ears and with a curious (very often silent) fascination with it. On four occasions at least.

TV mascot->rooftop suicide

How to marry a girl?-> threat of suicide

MAA disappearance -> suicide

Where is the father?->suicide

Whether suicide is the right or wrong way to go is something adults, including young adults, have the faculty to debate upon but not them. 

And at that age they deserve to be on the side of the fence that says suicide is wrong.

So CVs please use your medium to reach out to them, with due care and some dignity for life, before you dive for cover. 

..Since I (unfortunately) know there are viewers as young as this one who've watched the show, thinking it is harmless fluff ..while your lack of depth for an issue you bring up is what causes damage in the long run!!!

And if you still need spoon-feeding, make Khushi teach that to kids, perhaps educating herself along the way.

N throw in that tactless Road-Traffic Dadi in her list of students, as an exception!

That's all.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

pdj_71IFIDHessa85FairyLiquidSoapCravingKhana

CravingKhana IF-Sizzlerz
CravingKhana
CravingKhana

Posted: 11 August 2012 at 10:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ra123

Growing up there used to be this serial called Udaan. It was partially inspired by Kiran Bedi and was about this girl and her strive and thirst for achievement and becoming an IPS officer. It was such an awesome serial. I was pretty young then, so my impressions and expectations might have been a bit dilute back then, but the handling of the issue, the portrayal, the story, everything was done far more tastefully and simplistically and that too by people who were just beginning their careers.

Suicide, death, abortion, miscarriages - too many real people scarred for life - the sensibility to handle situations in reel is rare. You know I loved Taare Zameen Par.

But tragedy builds character I guess. So they incorporate it without knowing how to deal with it...

On that note, ott

Dad: Bug bites build character.
Calvin: Yeah, and last year you said diarrhea builds character.
Dad: So think what a fine young man you're growing up to be.
Calvin: ...If all this character doesn't kill me first.

And for Anjali, i have another Calvin and Hobbes quote
It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

ra123 thatnk u for your responce...unfortunately this industry grew unbeknown to me...i was lost in the trenches i guess and then voila one day i got re intorduced...i have no expectations i must admit...neither do i ask for much or hope for much or am i invested in this play and other than the whole industry and its take-off all new and amasing to me the story and IPK  does not regester for anything outstanding...I-F however is a very  much more intriguing phenomena it has managed to suck me in...and by the count of it many many more...

Sex sells and I am fine with that...but feeding off tragedies and giving nothing in return...is a question that is not just for the creative and those behind tv but for the audience ..you and me ...those who lose themselves in this entertainment and pay for it and create the demand...

PS
Calvin and Hobbs///eh that makes u an instant buddy

Edited by CravingKhana - 11 August 2012 at 10:19am

pdj_71IFIDFairyLiquidSoap

vkp1989 IF-Rockerz
vkp1989
vkp1989

Posted: 11 August 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged
So true!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

CravingKhana

CravingKhana IF-Sizzlerz
CravingKhana
CravingKhana

Posted: 11 August 2012 at 10:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bong.girl

Are they  meant to elicit an emotional response from the viewer for shock value, or are they  techniques meant to encourage dialogue in what is one of our society's greatest taboos: sex and suicide? Are we participating in the lowest form of voyeurism? Or are we crossing over into shameless sensationalism at times.

Interesting questions Onu...

we are all voyeurs that is a confirmed...to what digree is the question...how much till we realise that it aint right...

I question every time  we pass a accident...and traffic on the oppsossite side is slowed down to a craw will the occassional fender bender ...cos people cnt help but take a peek...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

IFIDFairyLiquidSoap

Happy-go-lucky Goldie
Happy-go-lucky
Happy-go-lucky

Posted: 11 August 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged
Sorry, for such a late reply...
Agree with all the points you made in your post...
I feel if one (read cvs) can't treat such sensitive issues like suicide and all, with proper respect and seriousness, then it's best  not to  try and bring up such issues just for the sake of trps...
But hell, what am I saying, if they can treat such issues like Khushi's manhandling, her disrespect , her helplessness, her forced contract marriage so casually, and expect viewers to sympathise with AnJHAlli's plight more than Khushi's, then I really don't expect much from them...
( i don't know if my blabbering makes any sense to you at all, coz I guess my user-id says a lil' bit about my attitude towards life, so I might have failed to properly convey my thoughts on this serious topic, but I tried...) 

IFIDFairyLiquidSoapCravingKhana

IFID Senior Member
IFID
IFID

Posted: 11 August 2012 at 3:53pm | IP Logged
Thank youEmbarrassed , glad you think it was good... I created this ID for SMJ and posted for the first time when I accidentally came across bhangan's post on symbolism . That was hilarious and got me to log in and write her a thank you for making me laugh so hard. 

I forgot the password for the last ID I used to post ramblings from...but there are a few more out here on IF.

Nice to meet all of you online and catch you online again sometime ...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

FairyLiquidSoap

Go to top