Diya Aur Baati Hum

Reality 'Cooking' The World & DABH- the Truth..!!!

Brahmaputra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
Yesterday's episode kept me thinking whether I was watching a cooking reality show in DABH or cat-fights in a fish market.πŸ˜†. Well, thought I exclaimed OMG, I did ROFLing watching it...🀣. Since a lot of controversy is aired in the forum regarding WTC competition, I would like to mention a few points that grabbed my attention. Well, these are my personal views & I don't claim them to be flawless.

1. Sooraj is taking part in World's Top Cook. A cook is one cooks any stuff (of his own choice also) where as a Chef is a cook with limitations.Its not World's Top Chef, World's Top Cook.

2. One of the jugdes in Masterchef Autralia is also Gary- Mr.Gary Mehigan.

3. WTC of DABH follows a line of competition similar to that of Master Chef US. For eg- purchasing vegetables, identifying ingredients by smell/taste,correcting damaged dish etc... It also allows the participants to cook dishes of own choice

4. WTC follows a dramatization similar to MasterChef Australia.

5. MasterChef Australia has faced controversies in terms of quality, structure, judgement and skill of the contestants. Other commentators have also criticised the show for using a competition format similar to other reality shows such as Australian Idol , The Biggest Loser and Project Runway Australia that focuses more on the elimination of contestants than the food and cooking itself. Fremantle Media's Paul Franklin has asserted that "for a commercial audience we needed to pump it up and make it bigger, a little over the top, with more drama and storytelling and a sense of theatre". So WTC is no less than Master Chef Australia.

6. Religious controversy- Kate Bracks , who has made it to the final eight on the Master Chef Australia, caused controversy when she admitted to feeling "uncomfortable" around the Buddhist leader Dalai Lama during a recent episode because she is a Christian. Our Mathy is no less similar, but far better than this.

7. Final winner of Master Chef Australia itself was a controversy. Significant numbers of viewers have raised allegations that the voting on the season one finale of MasterChef was fraudulent after Julie Goodwin won the crown. After the airing of the finale talkback radio became inundated with calls, both for and against the verdict, and the finale also became a top trending topic on social networking site Twitter, where many users said they felt "deflated" and "ripped off" by the final episode of the hit show.

8. MasterChef US second season has recieved strong negative responses & reviews upon finding the videos aired were edited with graphic works increasing number of people taking part in audition etc...

This is just to show how unreliable are even the cooking reality shows. We can find enough controversies related to MasterChef while we google. If these are what we find in Media, we can guess what is happening in reality. The production team will chop off such scenes & will be showing to us. And I feel DABH CVs are showing the truth behind the curtains and they did it outstandingly well. I agree there are problems with diction & translation, but now I feel DABH CVs did a very good reserch on Cooking Reality Shows before they prepared script.

EDIT- As said by Naina
Originally posted by: MisscoolEyes

EDIT- Oh and wouldn't people label it as "boring" and asked why is the serial turning into a reality show if they showed a strict emotionless competition. Either way,it's challenging to incorporate a competition into a fictional show and negative remarks had to come.It's a double-edges sword that the CV's have picked up and they are faring okay till now.[/DIV]

. So true it is.

@ all those who read this- plz contribute similar incidents known to you.Edited by June_Anne_Mary - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.Ami. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Bang on KaaGdi! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

You've penned down many poignant points behind Masterchef..πŸ‘πŸΌ πŸ‘

I'm only aware about MasterChef IND standards. I believe that they're far better n close to reality as well.

I'm clueless about Masterchef US/Australia standards. πŸ˜”

After reading your post, I've actually started looking DABH in +ve manner. πŸ˜ƒ

⭐️ I feel DABH CVs are showing the truth behind the curtains and they did it outstandingly well. I agree there are problems with diction & translation, but now I feel DABH CVs did a very good research on Cooking Reality Shows before they prepared script. ⭐️

Since DABH is drama, I am also not expecting to follow all terms n conditions of reality shows.😊 I agree it's OTT at a times.😳

Thara medico brain inna bhi non-sensible na hain..πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰
Edited by ami_dabh - 11 years ago
MisscoolEyes thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Well pointed out Jami!I have followed a few seasons of both the shows you mentioned and even Master Chef India for that matter.They all come with doses and bouts of controversies from time to time.Another show isHell's Kitchen.Well the name says it all.It  is more of how contestants plot against each other and how a very tough almost Hilterish judge handles the contestants rather than cooking itself.

I am seeing this whole WTC as a mockery/satire of actual reality shows.Nothing more ,nothing less.All the drama and everything is completely funny.

And regarding how realistic the competition is ,well DABH is a fictional show and I can't complain over the creativity of someone else.πŸ˜†

EDIT- Oh and wouldn't people label it as "boring" and asked why is the serial turning into a reality show if they showed a strict emotionless competition. Either way,it's challenging to incorporate a competition into a fictional show and negative remarks had to come.It's a double-edges sword that the CV's have picked up and they are faring okay till now.
Edited by MisscoolEyes - 11 years ago
Brahmaputra thumbnail
@amli & naina- though I don't watch MasterChef US regularly, Im regular viewer of MasterChef Australia. In MasterChef Australia, they have asked the contestents to go market & get veggies and they were running like hell 4 it.. And in MasterChef US, they ask to correct damaged dishes/do catering service. Also MC-US allows contestants to cook their own favourite dishes in every level & also at times they have options for those who are pure vegetarians.. So I can't find not cooking non-veg to be a big matter... Many media had revealed that these shows are having more off screen fights than any other shows since the taste of each tounge is different & what one finds tasty can be disgusting for others. At times it reaches severe abuse & bashing including physical harms. The production houses are masters in editing, for sure. Also MC-AUS works on emotions, not on cooking. Altogether WTC is a beautiful combination of both MC-US & MC-AUS. I really appreciate DABH CVs for the fantastic work they did.
HalleNJ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
wonderful post JAM, thanks for sharing the info.

there is no reality show without controversy.

Would like to add another controversy in one famous cooking competition in my country. After a few episodes of the show, then only the production team realized that one of the judges they've chosen for the competiton didn't have proper qualification to be a judgeπŸ˜† And so the judge was eliminated πŸ˜†

liked your analysis JAM, so now we can conclude that DABH is also showing some real stuff in cooking competition. I'm sure the Cvs have done some research on this track, and I find the real public voting for suraj to stay or not is unique and unusual, calling viewers to 'participate' in the show is something unexpected for sure.
.Ami. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
JAM -- I also like your very first point of post. Difference between 'Cook' n 'Chef'. Just love each lines of your analysis. Yep, Options are available for veg n non-veg. I've seen in masterchef IND few participants cook veg while few non-veg. Not a big deal.
Brahmaputra thumbnail
Originally posted by: niruba

Would like to add another controversy in one0β€ž2famous cooking competition in my country. After0β€ž2a few episodes of the show,0β€ž2then only the production team realized that0β€ž2one of the0β€ž2judges they've chosen for the competiton didn't have proper qualification to be a judgeπŸ˜†0β€ž2And so the judge was eliminated πŸ˜†

though the judge dint get fired, same situation had been built up in MasterChef Australia. Thanx a lot for the contribution... @ NAINA- im gonna use ur "edit" portion in my topic.
MisscoolEyes thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: June_Anne_Mary

though the judge dint get fired, same situation had been built up in MasterChef Australia. Thanx a lot for the contribution... @ NAINA- im gonna use ur "edit" portion in my topic. SureπŸ‘πŸΌ

farhana874 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I was so frustrated n shocked yest that decided to keep my mouth zipped! :-|
But after reading ur post n replies all narazgi's melted away! Thaankoo Kagdi! :-D i'm happy now.
Brahmaputra thumbnail
Originally posted by: ami_dabh

JAM -- I also like your very first point of post. Difference between 'Cook' n 'Chef'. Just love each lines of your analysis. Yep, Options are available for veg n non-veg. I've seen in masterchef IND few participants cook veg while few non-veg. Not a big deal.

that is what Im trying to convey. Whats the big deal with veggie.? Let him cook own. But off screen fights are usual.πŸ˜†.