India-Forums

Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon
Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

About the TRPs... A thought. [EDITED]

EvilMindedMe Senior Member
EvilMindedMe
EvilMindedMe

Posted: 08 August 2012 at 5:38am | IP Logged
I have been wondering for the past couple of months now how the TRPs worked. I googled it and even read some IF posts about how the TRP are calculated. 
And in the end, I understood a few things
1- Within India, the TRPs are only judged by looking at a very small fraction of the population who have TV sets at home.
2- For Star channels, the no. of views on Star Player are also counted in.
3- The rest of the online viewer population are not even considered.

Now these facts made me wonder...alot.Ermm

THE MAGIC BOX CALLED TV
First thing first, the people meter or the new thingie in the TV sets is a very inaccurate method in the present time.Dead 
Lets look at the math, please.
Last I read, India had a population of more than 'aik so das crore" (One hundred and ten crore) (As Hussain and Mini used to say in Indian Idol)
Lets generously round off the exact figure to 1,000,000,000 and assume 50% of these people have TV sets at home. That makes 500,000,000 people.
Now, as Times of India said. (It seems like a reliable source)

Television Rating Point (TRP) is a tool provided to judge which programmes are viewed the most. This gives us an index of the choice of the people and also the popularity of a particular channel. For calculation purpose, a device is attached to the TV set in a few thousand viewers' houses for judging purpose. 

The Indian Television Audience Measurement (Intam) is the only electronic rating agency which conducts this function in India. It employs two methods ' frequency monitoring and picture matching technique. In the first, 'people meters' are installed in sample homes and these electronic gadgets continuously record data about the channel watched. The second technique is more reliable and relatively new to India. The 'people meter' continuously records a small portion of the picture being watched. Data collected from sample homes is matched with the main data bank, and rankings are fixed for channels.

As you've read in the to short articles, only 'TV set in a few thousand viewers' have people meter in it. And though it says that its more reliable because the people meter continuously records whats being played, but do not forget that these PM are only present in a few TVs. Read it again, if you want to.

Now lets do the math.
In this lets assume at each of the 500,000,000 people have a TV set of their own, that makes 500,000,000 TV sets. So if only a few thousand TVs have PM in them(since they are so expensive), lets say... 10,000 TV sets, that covers only .002% of the 500,000,000 population that has TV sets.

Now only lets deduct
1- People who have TV which has the PM but are too busy to watch TV. 
2- People who have a TV which has the PM but are facing some problems like electricity issues, TV issues, cable issues etc
3- People who have TV which has the PM and are though Indians, but don't speak Hindi or watch Hindi channels.(Since the south India is huge and India on the whole had alot of different languages)
So, lets say 4000 out of 10,000 are such people(considering the language barrier). That leaves us with 6000 people. 
So that means throughout India, if there are 500,000,000 people who watch TV, only what 6000 of them watch will be taken into consideration when counting the TRPs. 

As a percentage of 500,000,000, 6000 is only 0.0012%
As a percentage of the whole population of India,( i.e. 1,000,000,000) 6000 is only 0.0006% 

Meaning that even if the whole of India sat down and watched the television, only what .0006% of the whole population watched, will determine the TRPs
Now mathematics doesn't lie. 
And looking at these no. it is a gross understatement when someone says that TRPs calculation method is inaccurate.

THE INFAMOUS STAR PLAYER
Now personally, I'm not a big fan of Star Player.
1- It generally takes alot of time to upload videos but unless the SP people are feeling kind, it sometimes takes DAYS to upload an episode.
2- If your lucky, it will upload quickly. If your not, well you'll be able to play chess, sketch and write a dictionary before it fully uploads.
3- I don't know why but my laptop has personal vendetta against Star Player. 90% of the time it crashes, so I have to refresh the page and voila! We're back to square one.

Assuming that I'm not the only person in this whole world who faces these problems with Star Player, I'll also assume that there are other people like me who in the end, don't watch the episodes on Star Player and prefer to watch the episodes on YouTube or Daily Motion or Novamov or Videoweed or Putlocker or Sockshare or Gorrilavid or any other, by random uploaders.

THE IGNORED ONLINE VIEWERS
Okay, one of the fellow IPKKNDian did a survey to see in which countries is IPKKND? watched. (As far as I know, its only for IPKKND? viewers on IF)

Considering that the survey was accurate, IPKKND? is watched in total of more than 61 countries.
What does this show us? 
That there are people OUTSIDE of India who watch IPKKND?.

So my question is, why aren't they considered when the TRPS are calculated?
I mean India is one country. There are +60 other countries where the show is watched.

THE DEAD END
Now, as much as I have read, and as much as I've written, you would have understood that these are the only two ways in which the TRPs are calculated. 
Either if your in India and you beat the odds and have the 'jadu ka dabba' that has a PM meter
OR
If you use Star Player.

Do anyone else see the problem

No? You don't see it? You will.
I think its often better to explain the problem with an example.
So here it goes

COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS
Okay, I live in Pakistan and mercifully, some kind soul thought of great idea which resulted in Urdu 1 channel. 
Now, let me clear first. I am not any person who is writing this for U1 promotion. I'm just a student and have no whatsoever connection with Urdu 1 other than that I watch IPKKND? on it.

Back to Urdu 1. Okay Urdu 1 airs only three of the SP dramas, 
1-Maan ki Awaz Pratigiya. 
2-Diya aur Baati Hum
3-Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?

Now since its a new channel, barely a month old, they had to air some promos and stuff for promotion. Moving along, aside from airing the promos, they uploaded the promo videos on their YouTube channel. And I was checking it out one day and I found something very interesting.
I'll tell you what it is.

They aired one promo of MKAP, one promo of DABH but two promos of IPKKND? 
Curious right?
Lets move ahead.

The promo of MKAP, DABH and one of the two promos of IPKKND? were uploaded on their YouTube page on the SAME DAY i.e on 14th July 2012
Now, here comes the interesting part.
Check out the highlighted parts on the picture below or directly check it out from the link given

Now do you get what am I saying?
You can yourself tell that which show is more popular on the internet.
But still, when the TRPs come, it seems as if they are from another world. I mean does it look like from the TRPs which show exactly is more popular on the internet?
Forget the other shows at the momet. 
Does the TRPs tell you correctly that which of the three shows I'm comparing, is more popular on the internet? 
Does it?
No.

THE SOLUTION?
Now this one is a tough cookie.

Personally, I think all the channels should have their own YouTube pages and each drama should have its personal YouTube page in which they upload the daily episode and do not restrict it to any country.
The same thing should be done in other places like in Daily Motion, Novamov, VideoWeed, Gorrilavid, Putlocker, 

I mean they should upload HD episodes on popular and more frequently used sites like YouTube, not just Star Player because there is a reason why people prefer YouTube or other sites above Star Player. 
They should used the power of internet and promote their video links. Because in the world of technology today, Internet is like the new, for the lack of better word, God. TVs are slowly becoming a thing of the past.

This way, more people will watch the episodes from their pages and a more accurate no. of viewers will be obtained.
As for us, the forum members should only be directed to the official links and that might solve a lot of problems regarding the TRPs, because that way, they can internationally decide the popularity of this show or that show

AS AN ENDNOTE
I read on a IF post by saalu1 about Amir Khan saying something regarding TRP inaccuarcies. I googeld for the excerpt to include in my post.

There were some reports that the show did not get the TRP rating Star was expecting. Is that true?
If it were true, why would Star want a second season? But either way, I don't think that's important. I don't give any value to TRP ratings because my common sense tells me that seven thousand boxes across India is not going to tell me what India watches. I don't know how people take this stuff seriously. It's really daft. In all of Bihar, there are only three boxes. It's a joke, that's why I haven't bothered to react to these media reports.

This makes me feel like I was being generous when I said that there were 10,000 PM in India. If there are 7000, that lowers the percentages even further. And that makes me wonder more about the TRPs.

What do you think?

P.S. . In the comparative analysis, I don't mean to say that this show is better or that show is better. To each, his own. People like different things. Ouch
I only meant to convey the statistics.

P.P.S. In the endnote, I have only included the quote related to TV sets because it only is within India. I haven't included the internet portion because when I talked about the internet I was talking about internationally, unlike Amir who is just talking about India.Sleepy

Edited by allallbmine1 - 11 August 2012 at 9:50am

The following 49 member(s) liked the above post:

swan68Rain_dropsoundofmusicvarsha96uniqueARSHIvidhathrihylaPriyadiarn4vkhushinuzhi94julieariwalazeefan 1Natachakvgmatrisambagguessimgreatswtashits_subhuDreamer-89darshi28anuprikapoonam.gupta12sumayya98HopeleslyInLoveKrishma042GirlOfFireblackdice1001ArshiRaiguptha-Mistletoe-Sarun_4ever-Aimz--.Pearl.-MsCeylonipkknd_hazelmayabegummomb24crazzyhrtarchanakaarrsshhiiStormChaser..Divya..abhi_arshiloverarsh_spfan145rashikaVeena..tvpal007-DKS-Arshi.Sugi.IPK

Krishma042 Senior Member
Krishma042
Krishma042

Posted: 08 August 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged
This is brilliant!  Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

EvilMindedMe

elope Goldie
elope
elope

Posted: 08 August 2012 at 9:01pm | IP Logged
liked ur post a lot

EvilMindedMe

mayabegum IF-Dazzler
mayabegum
mayabegum

Posted: 08 August 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged
Fabulous post!
Try showing this to someone?

EvilMindedMe

EvilMindedMe
EvilMindedMe

Posted: 09 August 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mayabegum

Fabulous post!
Try showing this to someone?

I would but I don't know who to show this to. If you can, can you forward it?
mahamluvsbs IF-Sizzlerz
mahamluvsbs
mahamluvsbs

Posted: 09 August 2012 at 12:36am | IP Logged
good post INDEED IPKKND I SFAR MORE POPULAR AND MORE WTACHED SHOW not just in India but world wide !

hey im from pak too where r u from ? n nice research on the trps  btw they r rigged

GirlOfFire

HopeleslyInLove Senior Member
HopeleslyInLove
HopeleslyInLove

Posted: 09 August 2012 at 12:38am | IP Logged
Amazing post!! Clap
Please post it on the sp and 4lions fb page, i would love to do that but i deleted My fb page
Anyhow, just awesome man, hats of to you!!!

EvilMindedMe

EvilMindedMe
EvilMindedMe

Posted: 09 August 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mahamluvsght

good post INDEED IPKKND I SFAR MORE POPULAR AND MORE WTACHED SHOW not just in India but world wide !

hey im from pak too where r u from ? n nice research on the trps  btw they r rigged

I'm from the capital.
As in the TRPs are rigged or my post it rigged? 
If you mean the post, if you want, I can send you the link of each and everything to verify, TOI article, google serch, Wikipedia link, Urdu1 and i even have snippits of the no. of views of the videos, I collected everything!

Go to top