Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

India-Forums

Public verdict on IPK declared. (Page 20)

FairyLiquidSoap IF-Sizzlerz
FairyLiquidSoap
FairyLiquidSoap

Posted: 09 August 2012 at 6:02am | IP Logged

I started to watch this show to use a much clichd over used phrase because it was different I did not see any evil mother in laws in the plot I did not see any scheming jealous sister in laws in the story no predatory girl friends or cheating boyfriends Mamas boys or useless husbands. I saw 2 seemingly different characters that caught my immediate attention for the way they were shown completely in antithesis of the traditional roles assigned in all Asian melodramas. The female was shown to resort to food as a stress buster, now how many of us did not find resonance with first scene of her making jilebi. To me that was a clincher that this soap will be different

This ubiquitous but stand out scene of her making jilebis when I assumed she may try to immolate herself in true bharath nari tradition was what made me really start to watch the show ASR was someone who you knew was fated to be her prince and who could forget that iconic scene of him flying over her and landing at Sheesh Mahal your interest immediately piqued because he seemed so worlds a part from her and yet we knew as per the promise of the story they were destined to be together

Ricky I wouldn't be caught dead watching an IPKKND in its current avatar today or you would have to pay me heavily  to endure it. It has none of the elements today that made me actually want to watch an Indian serial right from episode one and actually come here to IF to share about the serial So you can imagine the extent of the impact that the serial had on me and I am sure many will vouch for it for themselves We all came from different backgrounds cultures language and countries with a common interest IPKKND. The concept was fresh the story was unique and the dramatization was unusual

Today sadly it has lost all credibility with not just the mass viewers but also a vast segment of modern educated sensible women viewers who were not looking for escapist drama from their life but liked it genuinely for its freshness and the romance that was being played I for one found the lead pair charming and the romance although OTT at times appealed to the kitsch in me

At the moment sadly it only floats the boat of those young enough to have never known the spelling much less the meaning of love and think this is love because of all the mills n boons they have been reading or hearing or jaded married women stuck with husbands who they find boring and are looking to spice up the marital bed with ASR as their fantasy

I am afraid I feel a sense of disconnect with either category and then there are a few who seem to take the cake the biscuit and the bakery in their delusional interpretation of the serial and their belief in the actual existence of ASR

Where is the levelheaded viewer here?

Many of the lay viewers don't have the inclination  to analyze symbols connect the dots drool over the male sigh over a RV or troll and post in IF with their hallelujah discoveries They want story tracks that make sense family fights kiss and make up and justice none of which is properly delivered here. All shows worth their grain make the female protagonist their strongest link in the armor only in IPKKND do they make her the weakest link and an object of ridicule

Yesterday when they did that scene with her doing a song and dance to get him to open up and then he so dramatically blurted his mother committed suicide and err no surprises didn't we all know that is what had happened since last year but anyway coming back to my point she went to console him the IF erupted in collective boohoo hoos's and there was a sob fest here over his pain and how KKG should do her best to make her man feel better I could not help think at that moment her own suicide attempt and how the CV's made a mockery of her pain by reducing it to a comedy track thereby not just demeaning her but so many who have either survived the desperate need behind that last resort or have left this earth leaving their loved ones inconsolable and grieving and I am afraid I did not connect with that scene at all I was just wondering how many glycerin bottles and saline solutions were used up

Compare this to last year when that track of his parent's anniversary and his subsequent discovery that she too was an orphan saw some of the most heartwarming scenes that whole week. That final scene when she shared her story most heart wrenchingly and he cried along with her was a moment that left me teary eyed both of them connected with me a pragmatic viewer so can you imagine how much it might have impacted the hearts of the mass

Yesterday zilch I did not feel the moment and all I could think of was how the mighty have fallen and the TRP viewer has moved on

Let us see if this Mahaan Husband track will do some magic at the TRP office There may be some women out there saddled with spouses who may be namby-pamby mama's boys who have never sided with their wives and probably may take some relief from this too good to be real fictitious husband

When the average Indian woman comes home after battling one form of harassment atrocity diktat or unwelcome sexual overtures the last thing she wants to see the same wrong being reprised on the small screen but under the guise of love and hotness. Many want to see justice even a filmy one through which they can channelize and sublimate their own needs for fairness and a voice of reason which sadly is lacking in this serial

KKG and ASR kidnap track was something folks thought would mean a step forward and that Shyam will get his just desserts But what happened the most unbelievable point in television history a husband who kept quiet as his wife was being vilified as a wh**e A slap does not mean a thing without the right words Every one wants to hear words come out -a time followed formula in soaps all over the world Where there any discussions by the family as to what really happened No and the whole thing was brushed under the carpet and they started of on an ASR flirt woo and romance track which would have made absolutely no sense to the regular viewer used to a expected formula outcome and path.

In a country of 1 billion where at least 450 million are adult women and are the main consumer of life style dramas to see a female protagonist look silly stupid not having moral fiber and suddenly subservient without a cause the very antithesis of what KKG was when she was introduced to them initially  just did not go down well with them and they did show their disapproval by turning to BV and whatever else that they felt more worthy of their attention. Can you blame them even I am confused and disoriented as to how the hell did she turn into this adoring doormat without a spine and what happened to her hissy fit over the contract?

A heavily cash strapped PH a controversy dogged cast a Lady Boss who refuses to come out of her Ivory Castle living in her Mills n Boon delusion a bunch of writers probably not paid on time and writing as and when they feel like it probably even handing out the scripts minutes before shooting totally disconnected episodes a lead pair fully exhausted and yes contrary to the opinion of the majority of the members here who go into frenzied paeans over his acting prowess he has not delivered to par and the confusion as to what exactly her role is for the day is very clearly reflected in the female lead with no proper attention paid to her character development and the less said about her wardrobe the better – all this and more have gone into IPKKNDS fall from grace.

I watched it for the story of 2 a woman and a man and their incredible journey into love I for one would not have seen if this soap was only about either one of the characters only and today we are actually discussing in detail in the forum the very same saas bahu drama elements that we shunned in the first place in other soaps Have our standards fallen or are we like the proverbial frog that got slowly boiled in the water and now it is too late to escape

P.S. i know i put a res somewhere am pressed for time so please forgive my oversight
and gosh I have nothing to do with the TV industry just a timepass viewer LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

rvarier

Go to top