Ravinder Singh's Love Stories.

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 11 years ago
Hello all Bookies :)
I am fellow bookie with an insatiable appetite for books of all kinds.
Thus when almost all of my batchmates touched by Mr. Singh's I too had a Love Story, even though I made a show of not wanting to read, I ended up reading it.
Now for those who are unfamiliar with the name, it's the author's true story where in he loved and lost his girl, Khushi, just a few days prior to their engagement, to a terrible car accident.
Needless to say it was touching.
Then came his second book Can Love Happen Twice?
Now this one, though the author, fairly warns us that it can be fiction or it can be true, put me in a doubt about the first book.
Could the author have made up the first story?
More than half of me and many of my freinds, believe that it isn't possible and he was genuine.
Though we all didn't much like the second one.
So those who have read these, what were your impression.
I know I am no one to judge anybody's love and this was just an impression I had.
I do give credit to Ravinder Singh as a writer with great potential.
This post is intended to find out the opinion of readers here around
Here's what I posted on FB about the book. Copy-pasting here :-

Read "Can Love Happen Twice". Too cliched and just an attempt to bank on the success of the first book of the author. That was based on true tale and thus connected on a deep level. And some things are better left without a sequel and this is an great example of that. Creating fiction and some over-the-top scenarios can't match reality. So, he should have just written it as something new, not as a continuation. People liked the first book for the book itself, but in this one they needed to imply it was "such a great story, heart-breaking, mind-numbing blah blah blah" at least a 100 times. That was too annoying. Disappointed.
Originally posted by Freethinker112

Here's what I posted on FB about the book. Copy-pasting here :-

Read "Can Love Happen Twice". Too cliched and just an attempt to bank on the success of the first book of the author. That was based on true tale and thus connected on a deep level. And some things are better left without a sequel and this is an great example of that. Creating fiction and some over-the-top scenarios can't match reality. So, he should have just written it as something new, not as a continuation. People liked the first book for the book itself, but in this one they needed to imply it was "such a great story, heart-breaking, mind-numbing blah blah blah" at least a 100 times. That was too annoying. Disappointed.

You are right in a way,
The second book is a lot more fictitous than first one agreed,
But one thing I will admit honestly, I felt the depiction of the girl in the 2nd book was in someways more truthful, he gave both her plus and minus, albeit more of the latter.
Khushi, was depicted as a goody two shoes na?
I don't remember reading her minuses
Originally posted by Eowyn

You are right in a way,
The second book is a lot more fictitous than first one agreed,
But one thing I will admit honestly, I felt the depiction of the girl in the 2nd book was in someways more truthful, he gave both her plus and minus, albeit more of the latter.
Khushi, was depicted as a goody two shoes na?
I don't remember reading her minuses

And that's exactly what made the first book seem so true to me. He was so much in awe of her that he didn't pay any attention to her negative qualities. Second one seemed so planned and premeditated.
Hmm that might be the case.
In a relation one does accept the loved one with her/his minuses.
Well I do agree that he didn't have to create a love story with himself in it, he could've started a whole new story with other characters.
Yep, he should have written another story rather than writing a sequel.
I strongly agree to you on this.
The first book was a masterpiece and the second one as just a filler.
The sequel was not needed... The first part was alone a hit!
The first part was open-ended, we could have been thinking till now what must have happened to Ravin if the second part was not written.
It left such a mark on our hearts, that even after 2 weeks I was on the hang of the story, and then I read it again.
I finished the book in just 3 hours during my exams.
'I too had a love story' a bang on.  👍🏼
none of the books I have read left me this shocked!
Edited by Love_Kunwar - 11 years ago
i have read both and they r both time pass books i guess..i dont particularly like his writing style!
and I too had a love story was liked by many coz they thought it was tribute to his dead GF khushi..but after reading can love happen twice, i don knw how honest he was about his first book :/
"I too had a love story" like all of you agree was a master piece. The readers can not help but fall in love with Khushi and her innocence. The kind of bond the two shared is like a dream come true. I remember reading the entire book in one go and I was crying hysterically. There was so much in the book. The Ravin-khushi moments, their family moments. Their phone calls.

When, "Can love happen twice" came, there was this whole excitement about what would have happened to Ravin after Khushi which was a big disappointment  for somebody like me. even though it was a nice read but one can not help but compare the two books. Or for the matter of fact ; compare Khushi and Simar.

Yes, even I doubted "I too had a love story" 's fictional existence. 
Edited by Angel.ARlover - 11 years ago
I think I too had a love story was really a nice book to read. The concept was new & things were quite realistic. I actually cried in the end. It was a good book.

The other one was kinda boring. I had to force myself to read it. And I feel that after writing such an intense book on his dead girlfriend, he shouldn't have said that love can happen again. Gave me a not-so-good picture of the author.