Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jayne thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: stafhtad

Annie,
Love you love you love you and we already know you are this sweet of a human being. 

This is the problem I have.  When something regressive and cringe worthy is shown on TV, people immediately rise up and say it happens in real life.  My peeve is why are always only bad things highlighted and glorified and the good deeds never given its due importance.  Why is it not shown or the loop closed that bad things are bad.  If bad things are shown to highlight the plight of such behaviour, why not show the consequences or the good side of people who stand up to it.  if the answer is this is not a social message driven serial, then it should hold true for showing bad things as well.  If it is not a social message drive serial, why highlight what happens in society then.

If anyone in my family, doesn't matter if it is my own family, elders or in-laws.  If the treat another human being shabbily because of their education or caste or social starta, I can guarantee you I will not be on speaking terms with them.  I have a set of values and a set of right and wrongs my parents and grandparetns gave me.  it includes respecting your elders.  But does not mean, I will bow down to elders who behave like Dadi does.  I would just remove myself from situations where I have to interact or bear such people.  Being the elder does not give anyone the right to mistreat anyone.  And when an elder does, they lose the right to be respected as an elder because, they are not showing the right path to the people who are younger to them in age and look up to them to learn lifes good and bad.

Excuse any typos...

Staf,
The only real breakthrough I have found, is to be financially independent.
And by that I mean holding a job of one's own (or lucky enough with a trust fund) so that one can live life as one chooses.

Most of us, whom I would place in the 'dissenters' category, I am sure, have been accused of not respecting family values, or traditions, or elders, or being a know-it-all, or too big for her britches, etc.
Sticks and stones, my friend.
(Though they do hurt if they come from immediate family).
Still, I've discovered that financial independence also gleans respect from those very people, too.
The option to walk away is always there for us.

People like, Khushi - and I do not like her character since the marriage days ; martyrs never appeal to me πŸ˜•- ask to be abused and taken-advantage of. Its as much a victim mentality they have because in spite of proof around them that the world is different, clinging to the very family that yokes them is more important to them.

Jayne

Edited by Jayne - 11 years ago
asha... thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

I've updated... ;)

Lameness alert... πŸ˜†
SeerialLoops thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: Jayne

Staf,
The only real breakthrough I have found, is to be financially independent.
And by that I mean holding a job of one's own (or lucky enough with a trust fund) so that one can live life as one chooses.

Most of us, whom I would place in the 'dissenters' category, I am sure, have been accused of not respecting family values, or traditions, or elders, or being a know-it-all, or too big for her britches, etc.
Sticks and stones, my friend.
(Though they do hurt if they come from immediate family).
Still, I've discovered that financial independence also gleans respect from those very people, too.
The option to walk away is always there for us.

People like, Khushi - and I do not like her character since the marriage days ; martyrs never appeal to me πŸ˜•- ask to be abused and taken-advantage of. Its as much a victim mentality they have because in spite of proof around them that the world is different, clinging to the very family that yokes them is more important to them.

Jayne

Jayne,

You can call me Loopy or Sudha. 

I agree with you.  Fortunately or unfortunately I have also seen this behavior in my family too.  I have tried reasoning and explaining and then eventually cutting of my ties with them.  They do think the worst of me. 

But, I am not suffering any loss for cutting them off and I am sure they are not suffering any heartache either because I don't interact with them.  For me, problem solved.  :-)

SeerialLoops thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: asha...

RES

Do I get Bronze?? *excited* πŸ˜›

Annie... *hugs*. Another wonderful yet witty post, love it... !!!

Since i'm not watching the show I don't have much to say... just some random unrelated points

I think masala mama went some place where he'd get food and respite from Raizada zoo...

Dadi sounds like the horror aunt you always run away from...

Arnav standing up for Khushi ; calls for a celebration 

An uncanny resemblance between grandson and grandma...not surprised. He had to get his ''I'm a jerk''  traits from somewhere πŸ˜†

Last but not least *Aisha dances around with her bronze medal*. πŸ˜†

Sorry for the late update...internet was playing up... 

Good time for me to go all 😍😍 and all Kushi on Ian love while asha is busy dancing with her bronze medal. 
Asha.  Keep dancing babe.TongueπŸ˜‰
enigma17 thumbnail
Originally posted by: asha...

RES

Do I get Bronze?? *excited* πŸ˜›

Annie... *hugs*. Another wonderful yet witty post, love it... !!!

Since i'm not watching the show I don't have much to say... just some random unrelated points

I think masala mama went some place where he'd get food and respite from Raizada zoo...

Dadi sounds like the horror aunt you always run away from...

Arnav standing up for Khushi ; calls for a celebration 

An uncanny resemblance between grandson and grandma...not surprised. He had to get his ''I'm a jerk''  traits from somewhere πŸ˜†

Last but not least *Aisha dances around with her bronze medal*. πŸ˜†

Sorry for the late update...internet was playing up... 

AishaπŸ€—
Hellooo
Indeed ASR is a chip off the old block
Its about time he stood up for his wife and lets hope this time its not half hearted
Congratulations on your bronze medalπŸ˜†

Jayne thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: stafhtad

Jayne,

You can call me Loopy or Sudha. 

I agree with you.  Fortunately or unfortunately I have also seen this behavior in my family too.  I have tried reasoning and explaining and then eventually cutting of my ties with them.  They do think the worst of me. 

But, I am not suffering any loss for cutting them off and I am sure they are not suffering any heartache either because I don't interact with them.  For me, problem solved.  :-)

Precisely what I do.
Though I, for one, am unable to see the attraction in a joint family system (it does have its advantages, but I feel the cons weigh more) or even in mingling a lot with extended family, I am sure the other side feels the same about us.
Cold/harsh/rude/uppity/snob/etc. are the least of what I've heard.
But no matter.
We know we are doing just fine, and that's that.

Jayne

Edited by Jayne - 11 years ago
vibha28 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hiya lovieπŸ€—

A kiss for all my darlins, Annie, Manju,La,Shewtha,Swathi,Sudhi,Pinky,Manaal,Hiru,Ouma,Asha,Raina and all my other darlings who I may have missed...

Poor khushi just cannot take a break can she???its funny now because when I heard the mighty Harvard explain Grammy's attributes I thuought Pot calling kettle black much??
vibha28 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: Jayne

Precisely what I do.
Though I, for one, am unable to see the attraction in a joint family system (it does have its advantages, but I feel the cons weigh more) or even in mingling a lot with extended family, I am sure the other side feels the same about us.
Cold/harsh/rude/uppity/snob/etc. are the least of what I've heard.
But no matter.
We know we are doing just fine, and that's that.

Jayne

Jaynie is here too...

Hiya lovieπŸ€—
enigma17 thumbnail
Originally posted by: CDlove

A big hello to you Annie !

While the damsel who is always distressed and the depiction of the female protagonist in the lights of sorrow, heart break, derogation and degradation comes hand in hand if you opt to watch an Indian prime time serial, the reality of the show cannot be overlooked.

I was discussing the show with a friend of mine and we both agreed on the fact that the portrayal of males (in south Asian region mainly) is quite accurate. The underlying current of a male centered society has always been and will always be there in our region and with the lack of feelings and unsympathetic nonchalant attitude depicted by the male protagonist regarding some of the plights the female protagonist had been through, is quite an accurate way of showing this.  

It comes with the culture, set of values that's been inherited from generation to generation, the principles and traditions growing up in such a society had instilled in us that man is better and hence needs to be treated with veneration. There is always that undercurrent - man is superior to woman.

That's exactly what's been portrayed in ASR and even Akash. Throwing their weight around their women,  not owing up to their mistakes and generally treating them in not the same way as they would treat another man shows the skewed balance in the household. What's practiced inside the house hold goes a few times magnified into the society and structure of it and rest assured we see it everywhere.

Now the class and cast depiction is also some what accurate. There are still many who practise the cast difference and harbours cast-class mentality. Especially in the rural India, it is still a big problem. Take a peep at the Satyameva Jayate Forum and you will come across many such topics that's been discussed extensively.

All in all Im not too surprised by the way they portray the skewed relations between males and females, rich and poor class-cast mentality.

Not that I approve of it. Sigh. we need to uproot whole of society to get rid of it.

Hellooo Hiru😊
Much as I am aware of such discrepancies between the sexes in various parts of the world I abhor this trait
This is all based on chromosones
One is venerated and put on a pedestal whilst the other takes second place in life
The only difference between the two sexes from my point view is the physical strength
Generally men are superior in this area
Although there are some females one would be best advised to avoid in a dark alleyway
Boys and girls should be given equal playing field
Afterall girls have an advantage...they can multitask!!!!

As for the other I rest my case
I believe I have already aired my views

blue.kindle thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Updated a lesson in the "History of Art".  I will write a sensible update tomorrow.