I dont like any of them

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ShaunSA

ShaunSA IF-Rockerz
ShaunSA
ShaunSA

Posted: 06 August 2012 at 8:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by aris22l

My mom used to make a mixed cauliflower, turnip and carrot pickle.  To this date, nobody has been able to make it the same.  She would make several KGs of it to distribute to all the relatives.  My mouth waters just thinking about it. 

I have created my own easier version of it.  Mine is nowhere close to my mom's, but it is OK.  I adjust things according to my taste, but the ingredients and method of making is similar to below. 

200 gm cauliflower (chopped)
200 gm carrot (chopped)
200 gm turnip (shalgam)
10 green chillies cut into halves
50 gm garlic (crushed)
50 gm crushed ginger
2 tbsp ground mustard seeds
2 tbsp mustard oil
2 tsp salt
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
A pinch of asafoetida (heeng)
3 tsp jaggery/brown sugar
2 tbsp tamarind (imli paste)
cup vinegar

Wash, peel and cut vegetables. In a microwave safe bowl, steam all vegetables in 1/2 cup water for 3-4 minutes. Take the vegetables out and let them air dry on paper towels.
In another microwave safe bowl, add oil and microwave at 100% power for 30 seconds.
Add crushed garlic, ginger, salt and turmeric.Microwave at 100% power for 2 minutes.
Add the rest except vegetables and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir in between.
Add microwaved vegetables and microwave for 2 minutes at 100 % power. Store in air tight jar when cool.  Enjoy.

Awesome! Thanks Aris! Judging from the ingredients it is the kind of pickle Johan would just love! Am defo going to try this one out! Cool

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Xarinaaris22l-GayabCat-

Xarina Coolbie
Xarina
Xarina

Posted: 06 August 2012 at 8:19am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Xarina

Originally posted by tamzin43

My mum used to make her own lemon. lime and green chilli pickle.  Whenever I ate or even smelt it, it took me back to Pakistan and sitting on the banks of a clear, flowing stream and eating the pickle with chapatti for lunch.  I haven't got the time nor the energy to even think about making it myself so I will stick to shop bought pickle.

hai mein sadke jawa  what a memory zee  thats what i did when i was living in pakistan  as a teenager  beautiful memory last for a lifetime .. dont know why i always have mango achar  yum yum
i had kerela achar once in pakistan  tasted real good LOL
LOL
It is quite a memory, I think it is one of my earliest all the way from Jhelum in PakistanBig smile.
Mum used to spend days preparing the main ingredients, mixing them with salt for a day or so, then washing them, preparing the oil and then keeping an eye on them for days turning each bottle upside down to make sure that the mixing took place without so much as a utensil being used.  I don't know if that is a quirk or actually done!  I still expect her to be sitting on the sofa, when I get home, either preparing for pickle or lost under a mound of spinich which she would be chopping.Smile

Xarina, I have similar memories of my mom in IndiaBig smile.  Actually, that trick of turning the bottles upside done is quite common.  This makes sure that all the juices created by the ingredients and the oil reaches equally to the top and the bottom vegetables and they kind of marinade equally.  You need to keep the container air tight as long as possible and opening them early to stir the ingredients lets the air in which may spoil the achar.
You learn something new everyday.   Thanks Aris.Big smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

aris22l

aris22l Goldie
aris22l
aris22l

Posted: 06 August 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ShaunSA

My mom used to make a mixed cauliflower, turnip and carrot pickle.  To this date, nobody has been able to make it the same.  She would make several KGs of it to distribute to all the relatives.  My mouth waters just thinking about it. 

I have created my own easier version of it.  Mine is nowhere close to my mom's, but it is OK.  I adjust things according to my taste, but the ingredients and method of making is similar to below. 

200 gm cauliflower (chopped)
200 gm carrot (chopped)
200 gm turnip (shalgam)
10 green chillies cut into halves
50 gm garlic (crushed)
50 gm crushed ginger
2 tbsp ground mustard seeds
2 tbsp mustard oil
2 tsp salt
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
A pinch of asafoetida (heeng)
3 tsp jaggery/brown sugar
2 tbsp tamarind (imli paste)
cup vinegar

Wash, peel and cut vegetables. In a microwave safe bowl, steam all vegetables in 1/2 cup water for 3-4 minutes. Take the vegetables out and let them air dry on paper towels.
In another microwave safe bowl, add oil and microwave at 100% power for 30 seconds.
Add crushed garlic, ginger, salt and turmeric.Microwave at 100% power for 2 minutes.
Add the rest except vegetables and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir in between.
Add microwaved vegetables and microwave for 2 minutes at 100 % power. Store in air tight jar when cool.  Enjoy.

Awesome! Thanks Aris! Judging from the ingredients it is the kind of pickle Johan would just love! Am defo going to try this one out! Cool

Adjust the ingredients according to your taste and you can use whatever you have on hand.  I have used olive oil instead of mustard oil.  Last time, I made it I omitted the oil altogether to make it light, but then you have to store it in the refrigerator.  Let me know how it turns out. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

XarinaShaunSA

-GayabCat- IF-Stunnerz
-GayabCat-
-GayabCat-

Posted: 06 August 2012 at 8:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by westindian

I've only ever eaten mango pickle, but all the others you guys listed sounds great. I never knew there were so many kinds of pickles and with meat, fish & shrimp too?Shocked
dnt tell me u havent tried red mirch pickle
Sour sour yumm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

aris22lShaunSAVeni-Vidi-Vici

aris22l Goldie
aris22l
aris22l

Posted: 06 August 2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by westindian

I've only ever eaten mango pickle, but all the others you guys listed sounds great.  I never knew there were so many kinds of pickles and with meat, fish & shrimp too?Shocked

Christine, you need to visit an Indian/Pakistani grocery storeLOL.  You will find shelves full of pickles.  You will be confused as to which one to pick.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

XarinaShaunSAVeni-Vidi-Vici-GayabCat-

tamzin43 Goldie
tamzin43
tamzin43

Posted: 06 August 2012 at 8:29am | IP Logged

My mum used to make her own lemon. lime and green chilli pickle.  Whenever I ate or even smelt it, it took me back to Pakistan and sitting on the banks of a clear, flowing stream and eating the pickle with chapatti for lunch.  I haven't got the time nor the energy to even think about making it myself so I will stick to shop bought pickle.

hai mein sadke jawa  what a memory zee  thats what i did when i was living in pakistan  as a teenager  beautiful memory last for a lifetime .. dont know why i always have mango achar  yum yum
LOL
It is quite a memory, I think it is one of my earliest all the way from Jhelum in PakistanBig smile.
Mum used to spend days preparing the main ingredients, mixing them with salt for a day or so, then washing them, preparing the oil and then keeping an eye on them for days turning each bottle upside down to make sure that the mixing took place without so much as a utensil being used.  I don't know if that is a quirk or actually done!  I still expect her to be sitting on the sofa, when I get home, either preparing for pickle or lost under a mound of spinich which she would be chopping.Smile

its a sad fact of life we all have to get old or die .. i have memory's of my mother young doing all the house work running around now she old and walking with a walker after suffering a stroke .. i have learned  a lot from her ..beloved zee cherish those memories you had of your mum with a happy heart and maybe you'll get through the tough times when they come knocking on your door Big smile

XarinaShaunSA

Xarina Coolbie
Xarina
Xarina

Posted: 06 August 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged

LOL

its a sad fact of life we all have to get old or die .. i have memory's of my mother young doing all the house work running around now she old and walking with a walker after suffering a stroke .. i have learned  a lot from her ..beloved zee cherish those memories you had of your mum with a happy heart and maybe you'll get through the tough times when they come knocking on your door Big smile
I will.   It's just moments like those are bittersweet.  We used to tell her all the time to stop.  sorry for being maudling.  I will stop henceforth.   I have a happy face now.Big smile

tamzin43ShaunSA

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Saath Nibhaana Saathiya Topic Index

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index