Fan Fictions

India-Forums

Fan Fictions
Fan Fictions

Arhi FF: Kalarikkal House-2 [Thread 3 link posted] (Page 128)

Kalyaani IF-Sizzlerz
Kalyaani
Kalyaani

Posted: 25 August 2012 at 12:32pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -publicenemy-

Originally posted by Kalyaani

Originally posted by esmeralda111

I always loved ur posts...always stalking them ...but I hate the fact they r so short...they don't jsutify the wait...Ouch...I know ...I know u ve other things to do in life...but still...I m helpless ...Confused...I wish I vnt started reading ur FF since day 1 but shd come across it the last day so that I dnt ve 2 wait..Cry

Sorry you feel that way.  I will not make them longer, so it's likely better for you to sit this story out or read it once it's complete. 

D, this is a backhanded way to compliment your work; but am laughing here. Guess it takes all kinds to make this world.

I imagine it is, but the part of me that just spent the better part of 3 hours watching sarpam thullal videos, researching Parasurama history, not to mention writing the update does not take as kindly to comments worded as, "it just does not justify the wait."

-D

I agree, but take a look at the thread again, there are many who appreciate your effort. It's no mean feat, to write and this well at the same time impact many people. You spend over five hours to write an update and we may take less than fifteen minutes to read.

I say that fifteen minutes I spend reading each update is my way of thanking you for spending those five hours; now add the total time the others also spend here.

Kuch toh log kahengeā€¦.logon ka kaam hain kehna (people will talk as it is their job to do so) I am always reminded of this song from the hindi movie Amar Prem when I read such posts.

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

Manseeprayasbanetta10simi888-publicenemy-asimovlatekateserialwatcher16Kishmish

-publicenemy- Senior Member
-publicenemy-
-publicenemy-

Posted: 25 August 2012 at 12:38pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by esmeralda111

I always loved ur posts...always stalking them ...but I hate the fact they r so short...they don't jsutify the wait...Ouch...I know ...I know u ve other things to do in life...but still...I m helpless ...Confused...I wish I vnt started reading ur FF since day 1 but shd come across it the last day so that I dnt ve 2 wait..Cry

Sorry you feel that way.  I will not make them longer, so it's likely better for you to sit this story out or read it once it's complete. 

D, this is a backhanded way to compliment your work; but am laughing here. Guess it takes all kinds to make this world.

I imagine it is, but the part of me that just spent the better part of 3 hours watching sarpam thullal videos, researching Parasurama history, not to mention writing the update does not take as kindly to comments worded as, "it just does not justify the wait."

-D

I agree, but take a look at the thread again, there are many who appreciate your effort. It's no mean feat, to write and this well at the same time impact many people. You spend over five hours to write an update and we may take less than fifteen minutes to read.

I say that fifteen minutes I spend reading each update is my way of thanking you for spending those five hours; now add the total time the others also spend here.

Kuch toh log kahenge'.logon ka kaam hain kehna (people will talk as it is their job to do so) I am always reminded of this song from the hindi movie Amar Prem when I read such posts.

Ah, K, I was not faulting anyone else.  I do enjoy every comment that you all write and it is more than worth all the time I spend on the updates.  However, I still have to address comments such as these, especially as I have explicitly stated as much in the intro.   

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Manseeasimovlatekateserialwatcher16KishmishKalyaani

Sur_10 Goldie
Sur_10
Sur_10

Posted: 25 August 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged

Chapter 32:  Acid

It had started drizzling by the time they left.  Pallavi and Kashi had both taken umbrellas.  They shared one and gave the other to him.  They walked in relative silence, the both of them ahead and he behind. 

The drizzle slowly gained force and five minutes into the walk, the edge of his 'mundu' was wet and his open-toed Batas were plowing through mud and leaves' there was a tinge of annoyance that emerged out of habit.

But it seemed pointless.

Nature didn't give a shit one way or the other if he was inconvenienced.

And if he really thought about it, it wasn't so bad.

The green around him was much more vivid that two days ago, it seemed.  The perpetual rain helped' 

I see the difference already, the initial annoyance dripping away. But that can be because of the fact that his shoes have been replaced by Bata

He listened, as his ears always did intrinsically when noise was absent.

The absence of noise is always peculiar. As much as silence is generally appreciated, I don't think everyone can bear it. Its like cutting away one of your senses. 

Noise was absent, but there was no silence either, he noticed.  There were sounds everywhere, starting with their footfalls falling and rising from the wet ground to the pitter-patter of the light rain to the swaying of the branches of everything green around him' Nature evidently had its own chatter that was always going on' next time he encountered what he thought was silence and started to feel that claustrophobic panic that he always did, he would just have to remind himself of this discovery.

I guess this kind of affirms the earlier point, with him starting to seek speakers in the nature when there is nobody around. and even though he doesn't seem like the kind of person who needs "people" around him to speak and distract him, he definitely needs their presence in a way that doesn't invade him and keeps him from falling into himself.

"It's over there."  He heard and lifted his umbrella farther up so that he could see what she was pointing to.  All he saw was more green, a lot of dense green in fact.

"Are we walking through the snake pit to get to the snake worship?  I didn't know reptiles were so vain that extolling them like this would stop them from attacking their natural enemies."

"We are not their natural enemies!"  Kashi replied now and he saw that she was angry again.  Nothing new there, so he continued.

"Yes, we are."

"Raizada, you think everything that lives in the forest is our natural enemy when it's the truth that 99% of those beings will never attack unprovoked.  We are the only living beings on the planet that hunt and take life merely for the fun of it."

Well, now here is a point where I feel both of them are somehow correct. We are brought up in a way that teaches us to befriend anything familiar and take everything else as "the enemy". Yes, even differently speaking humans.

"Don't call me Dick Cheney."  He said and saw Pallavi smile surreptitiously.

"I never said you were stupid enough to mistake a man for an animal, merely that you and most of your kind fear what you don't know.  And the only way you know how to deal with that fear is to destroy what you think is the cause of it."

"It's called self-preservation, Kashi."  He said in annoyance that she was gearing for her regular dose of proselytizing.

As she fumed and prepared to give him an earful, Pallavi spoke.

"Do you know the history of Serpent worship, Arnav?"

He shook his head.

"It's closely tied to the legends of how this land came to be.  And by this land, I mean Kerala.  Legend has it that the ancient sage, Parasurama, the sixth incarnation of Lord Maha Vishnu, to absolve himself of his sin of killing all the Kshatriyas in the world, sat in meditation in Gokarnam.  He was blessed by Varuna, the Lord of the Oceans, and Bhumi devi, the Earth Goddess.  They asked him to throw his axe as far as he could reach from Kanyakumari.  He did and the land that rose from the ocean from there to where the axe landed came to be known as Kerala.  Well, at least, according to the legends.  That's the broader context.  Here, the Pulluvar community believes that Parasurama gave them the right to settle in these lands.  But this was all forest and full of poisonous snakes.  To co-exist in peace, likely, the legend has it that Parasurama asked the people to worship the serpents as they protected the land.  And so they did' and they still do' to them, their land, their home, is protected by the serpents. At some point, those that provide security and safety do become Gods in some sense, don't they?"

Oksy, now I didn't know of this story, being a Parshuram fan and all. That avatar was truly legendary. Look at all his pupils! The best in the world, undoubtedly. As for the worship, was this out of respect or fear? As much as people like Raizada destroy what they fear, Kashi's folk worships. Both outlooks can be disastrous, the former more than the latter I think.

She looked at him for a brief moment then.  There were times like this when he got the sense that both of them spoke in riddles...  That the things that they said inevitably had a hidden meaning' 

"Has it worked?   Co-existing in peace, I mean?"  he asked, stifling his confusion.

"Nature takes and nature gives.  If you accept that as the cycle of life, harmony can be achieved more easily than you think."  Kashi replied.

And there, Pallavi has an answer to everything :D

"And here we are."  Pallavi said now as they stepped through a long line of bushes into a hamlet with a small house that had its front-yard filled with a good crowd. 

Those gathered recognized Pallavi and Kashi right away and he noticed some level of deference as they parted so that the three of them could move up to the porch.

He could hear some sort of chanting and a sort of repetitive "drm drm" that sounded a lot like the steady vibration that a taut string made when tugged on repeatedly.

When they walked up the steps, he could see a large elaborate drawing on the floor, just as Kashi had told him before.  Inside an ostentatious circle drawn with red, yellow, and black powder, there was a large hooded King Cobra's likeness drawn, with its body looping around on either side.  As irrational as it was, he felt the hair at the back of his neck stand up as a film of ice wrapped itself around his spine. 

The images from his nightmare returned in a flash' he felt as if he was back inside that forest again, looking at the twin puncture marks on his sister's ankles and her lifeless face with its eyes rolled back.  He thought he saw something slithering away from the corner of his eye and looked up startled. 

Arnav's nightmares really are chilling. I don't blame him for behaving the way he does when the reptiles come into picture. Terrible beauties, these creatures are.

All he saw were people though' people dressed in almost all white standing all around him' they all seemed to be chanting the same thing.  There were stalks of what looked like coconut tree leaves handing from a rope all around the periphery, vines of some sort interspersing them.  One of them rubbed his shoulder and in a sudden moment of panic he pulled on it, almost violently.  The vine broke off from the rope and he looked at it in surprise. 

So, destroying what scares us, are we?

"What's wrong?" he heard Kashi whisper next to him and saw her lightly extricate his hands from its death grip on the vine and tie it back up on the rope.  His heart was beating rapidly and he looked up to see that the people standing around him staring at him.  The chanting and the reverberating music continued without break and he felt an overwhelming urge to bolt.

"Saramilla.  Pettannu Pedichu poyi.  Parichayamillatha aala.  Delhi-iyil ninnu vannatha."  (No worries.  He just got scared.  He is not familiar with all this.  He came from Delhi).  He heard Pallavi say to the people and they gave him one last look before turning back to face the center.

"Are you alright?"  Pallavi asked and he nodded, feeling foolish' like he was four and still thought there were demons under his bed.  There were times when he had insisted on falling asleep holding onto his sister's hair, which had been long even back then.

I'm really amazed how you creep in these small details into the chapters, which make me pause and think. Just a line or two which gives a deeep insight, without drawing attention to itself. Truly awesome.

He turned to Kashi and said under his breath.  "What the f**k is this place?  I don't want to be here."

He felt her slip her hands into his, the pads of her fingers and her palm warm and soft against his rough cold one.

"Relax."  She whispered softly.  "Sit down here.  I will be right next to you."  Her hand in his gestured to the stone railing around the porch, just like the railing that he liked sitting on at her house.

"I don't need to relax!  I am not afraid!"  He bit out in a harsh whisper even as he did as she asked and sat down.

So, a new found harmony, yea? He didn't snap his hand back and obeyed nicely. Cute :P

She didn't answer him but turned to look at him and smiled as she said, "Just focus on how beautiful I look today.  It will distract you."

"Are you humoring me?"  he asked in anger as he squeezed her hand in his, rather painfully.

"Have you ever tried drugs?"  she suddenly asked, her tone changing to serious.

He was taken aback and narrowed his eyes as he asked, "What the hell does that have to do with anything?"

"What type?"  she asked instead, taking his irritation as affirmative.

He stared at her for a moment before lifting an eyebrow and answering, "Acid."

She looked surprised for a moment and asked, "Do you still'"

He cut her off. "Of course not!"

She looked relieved.  It was another moment before she said, "There are experiences that can make you'"  she stopped as if searching for the right word.

"Feel like you are tripping on acid?" he asked, recalling his experience with Pallavi's veena.

"Well, I was going to say, give you a high or put you into a trance like drugs can, but okay, tripping on acid would work too."  She said rather objectively.

"This is not going to do it, Kashi!" he told her, looking at the drawing on the floor again, fighting both fear and revulsion.

"Drugs are not always pleasant, Arnav."  She said in a quiet voice and he looked up at her.

"How do you know?  Don't tell me Ms. Pious has experimented with Acid!"

He couldn't read the expression that came over her face, but she stared at the snake's drawing for a long moment before she looked back at him and said, "I haven't."

"Then how the hell'" he started, but she cut him off as she said, "My brother did."

Now how the hell this conversation turned this way, I have no idea. He didn't have to answer her truthfully. She didn't have to tell him that part. Everyone uses the "high" reference all the time. Yet, things turn that way and suddenly they are pulled into a vortex with nothing else around them except speeding time and vacuum, the one that threatens to consume everything and seep inside you. Kashi and Arnav seem to be a part of a great cosmic joke to me at times. Devi Maiyaa has planned well.

She loves her brother, respects him even after knowing something like this.

------

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

Mansee-publicenemy-asimovlatekateswetha_chKishmishserialwatcher16Kalyaani

-publicenemy- Senior Member
-publicenemy-
-publicenemy-

Posted: 25 August 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by anuprika

god!!! you saw the videos and wrote it . i thought you would have had loads of experience being there.
eeeshwara parayathe vayya sammathichiriknu..
take your time.that part was worth all the research

I have been watching sarpam thullal videos for about two weeks now in preparation.  You're right about the whole setting, the music is quite... a vibration.. I can't explain it otherwise...

-D

Edited by -publicenemy- - 25 August 2012 at 1:21pm

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Manseeanuprikaasimovlatekateserialwatcher16Kishmish

prerna31s Goldie
prerna31s
prerna31s

Posted: 25 August 2012 at 2:14pm | IP Logged
Her brother used to take drugs ? Even arnav did ? Okay arnav took it bcoz he was depressed abt his sister ( dat does nt make is acceptable ) bt why did kashi's brother take drugs ?

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-publicenemy-asimov

frenzyy IF-Rockerz
frenzyy
frenzyy

Posted: 25 August 2012 at 2:39pm | IP Logged
amazing update...its great how u portray the characters... 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-publicenemy-

multifaceted Goldie
multifaceted
multifaceted

Posted: 25 August 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged
The way you describe Kerala and its natural beauty intermingling with the characters of the story is lovely...liking the way you are moving the story forward
Cant wait to read more..thanks for the PM

-publicenemy-asimov

flowers4u IF-Sizzlerz
flowers4u
flowers4u

Posted: 25 August 2012 at 2:52pm | IP Logged
fab update...loved it ...enjoying the bonding between arnav and kashi

-publicenemy-asimov

Go to top