Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

India-Forums

Process of Elimination...Maybe? (Page 9)

Japonica IF-Dazzler
Japonica
Japonica

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 8:35pm | IP Logged
Spot on, Annie.
You've touched on a professional and personal interest with your topic for as a linguist this is an important debate in the field of sociolinguistics that I teach in my classes - the idea of good vs bad language, language attitudes, language judgements, standard vs non-standard English.

Having said that I must confess some of the language I've read on this forum has made me want to scream.
Here's a gem that exemplifies perfectly our feelings on the use/misuse of the English language:

Someone is urging those they deem the true and faithful devotees of the show to write to the PH ( I think as a protest against people who've been making posts that the writer feels are harming the show).

By the way, I have taken immense care in quoting the writer exactly as they have written out their message. The spelling, grammar, syntax, semantics, discourse and pragmatics are all taken verbatim from the post.

"I am so fed wid these kind of posts that i vent my frustration this way. U all keep wroting letters n keep calling dem"

and here are 2 brilliant replies to the above command to the faithful:

" yar we arshi fans will do anything to our show 
( Oh for this blissful ignorance of the difference between 'to' and 'for' and the consequences of not knowing which is which!)
we r just totally mad and sometimes become unpredictable (hear! hear! ClapClap)

"very hilarious" (indeed, very!)

Couldn't have put it any better, could I? What's left to say?!?Big smile

Good morning, afternoon, evening,. night all (whichever part of the globe you reside in) - Annie, Manju, Hiru, Bong.girl, Sudha, Cravingkhana, Sb2k, Jayne and anyone else I have missed SmileSmile

By the way I am terrible at typing, so I must own up to awful spelling mistakes in my posts. Hope there aren't any in this one!
 Another confession- I write essays for my text messages, end up paying for 4 messages when I could have said it all in one!!! My contribution to the  profits that 3 mobile makes is, I suspect, quite substantial!

Edited by Japonica - 05 August 2012 at 11:37pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

DrwhoEXPELLIARMUSSeerialLoopsenigma17

SeerialLoops IF-Rockerz
SeerialLoops
SeerialLoops

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 9:13pm | IP Logged
Hi Lali,
Happy Friendship Day to you.

hw ru doing. ru eegerly waisting for mundae show. all wkend i drool on hotwa. he cho chweet in white na.

i go bfr the TM keel me and shoe me frm tis thread.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

JaponicaEXPELLIARMUS

CravingKhana IF-Sizzlerz
CravingKhana
CravingKhana

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by stafhtad

Hi Lali,
Happy Friendship Day to you.

hw ru doing. ru eegerly waisting for mundae show. all wkend i drool on hotwa. he cho chweet in white na.

i go bfr the TM keel me and shoe me frm tis thread.
Sudha...that took me a while...dont kill me pleeege...

i actually quite like spelling things worng (when I perposely do so) and the hinglish words...bhah Annie this is turning out to be a confessional of sorts...

how many lines do i get to do to pa for it all

Laligaru...its me Tangam...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Japonica

CravingKhana IF-Sizzlerz
CravingKhana
CravingKhana

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 9:22pm | IP Logged
uuhho there has been another killing inthe US in a sikh temple in Milwakee..Wisconsin...a gunman opened fire on Sun prayers...6 dead inclusive of the gunman and more wounded inlc officers who first  reported...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Drwho

RuchaMulay IF-Dazzler
RuchaMulay
RuchaMulay

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged
Well, Well! Being good with a language is one thing and conveying expressions is another! You can express very well using the formal and standard form of language, and I applaud you for that. Also your concern for the correct use of language is valid to some extent. 

But you have to consider some points:

1. All may not have been exposed to wide and correct use of English Language. Some may not be good with English, so what? Are we going to ridicule them just because they make spelling mistakes or they have limited vocabulary?

2. Many of us do not have English as our mothertoungue and while expressing emotions in an excitement may go back to our mothertoungues to find words or to coin new words.

3. Language is and has to be flowing and natural. We cannot forget that Grammar DESCRIBES language. We study grammar as prescriptive rules because we are not the first users of it and hence grammar gives us an insight into how a language works. But Language is a flow. All the languages of the world have changed a lot over the length of time. If not so, what you and I are typing, would be wrong, given the sensibilities and understandings of people who lived even just a 100 years ago!!!

4. Conveying your thoughts, emotions through some medium is what language is all about! And if saying "I am excited!" is not enough for someone and they say " III AAAMMM SUPER DUPER EXXXCITED YAAR!" I am all for it!

5. People come on this forum to enjoy, what's wrong if they express themselves in a non-standard way? If they do not write good english, does it mean they have not right to express? Even if they know good English and decide to have a little fun by using some wacky short forms or othre expressions, is it really wrong? What we going to do, hang them?

6. Aren't you being unreasonable? Nobody's stopping you from using good English Language and I must say you are really good with it! But expecting everyone to use a certain type of language is a tad little too much to my thinking.

7. Everything else apart, should this happen, the Forum will lose it's variety and flavours for sure!

I'd say, relax. Cut everyone some slack. And you too enjoy!

I did not mean to offend you personally. Just putting forth my point of view.

Edited by RuchaMulay - 05 August 2012 at 9:53pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

innocentgreenDrwhoRockerchic

Fuzzbucket Goldie
Fuzzbucket
Fuzzbucket

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 11:21pm | IP Logged
 Hello enigma17, a very happy monday to you as well Smile It's a long weekend here in my part of the world, so I am still very set in my weekend mode. interesting topic as always and I love the way you write...very poetic and eloquent most of the time:) you should become an English teacher if you aren't already one! 
I also get irritated by texting language and it is used by lots of people around here on the forum...probably because there are too many teenagers or people just find it easier, but I find it annoying as it takes time for me to understand their posts.( I am not an old ghost)  Even the so called "spoilers" are given out in this texting style and I think it creates chaos among the fans to decipher it properly. However, seems like it is the language of the forum so I  don't mind it as there are lots of people around here  who are not very fluent in English language. Just for the record, I have never called Arnav or barun "hotwa" or "hottie" Wink but you are right, everyone loves to call him that in here. Perhaps you can come up with a new name for him? :) not harvard! 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

innocentgreenDrwhoenigma17

Rockerchic IF-Rockerz
Rockerchic
Rockerchic

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 11:31pm | IP Logged
RC wants to hug you for this. Also have a virtual rabba ve with you.

There are actually two groups of people. The first who lack the knowledge of English language and the other who have a blatant disregard for it.

The former I can deal with. I can't expect everyone to be spot on with their tenses and punctuations and general grammar. In fact RC isn't that great with them either.

Bt wen ppl rite lyk dis.

It gets on my nerves. I really hate it when people use 'Dis' 'Dat' and the like. I mean it's like one letter short. The world isn't going to end if you type the extra H, I assure you.

Edited by Rockerchic - 05 August 2012 at 11:42pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

parheezGMDrwhoJaponicaenigma17EXPELLIARMUS

parheezGM Senior Member
parheezGM
parheezGM

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 11:40pm | IP Logged
i am such a duh, i dont know most of the short forms used by this crowd!! 
i learnt some time ago that BS means bull shit!! now pardon my language, i am just trying to give an example. so when i joined this forum, i kept reading how hot BS is!!! u can imagine my surprise, becoz i had no clue that the guy who plays the arrogant snob arnav is actually called barun sobti.Shocked

i know my way of thinking is complete BS, but i had no idea arnav was also called BS!!! and that too a hot or hotwa BS!! good god, i am writing complete crap... pun intended!!LOL

as to ur thread, i likey like!! well written and mostly i do agree with u, but  sometimes i also feel that english is called a universal language for the reason that it is able to incorporate so many new words, i do like to know the short forms but NO i would not go out of my way to use them just so that i can appear cool.
why would anyone go out of their way to sound like an ignorant idiot is beyond me!! Angry

and someone please please explain to me that why 'my' is written as 'ma' these days. u have to type to letters anyway, why not type it right instead?? Thumbs Down

now correct me if i am wrong, but isnt a final warning supposed to be the last warning?? then why do i keep seeing different threads from different folks titled 'final warning' all the time!!

i also get angry with those who get lazy with the language, the purpose of language is not just to get a point across but also a medium on how it reflects upon u!! nd ritin lyk dis is fr idjits!!

Edited by timepassTP - 05 August 2012 at 11:48pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Drwhoenigma17

Go to top