Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

India-Forums

Process of Elimination...Maybe? (Page 4)

enigma17 IF-Rockerz
enigma17
enigma17

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 1:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Jayne

Enig,

You've touched on a topic that gets my goat regularly, be it text, speech, or actual written language.
Some are used so casually by almost everyone around me on an everyday basis that they believe this is good English... in fact, I have even observed young children being taught this incorrect grammar (also, atrocious conjugations and sentence formations).
Mind you, none of this 'regular guy' (well educated people in Academia included) English is to be found in the Oxford or Webster's dictionaries... but, if you want to stand out as a 'furriner' then speak precise, perfect English.

Jayne

Jayne,
Call me Annie.
I am simply hoping in opening up this topic I have not opened up a can of worms!
I cannot deny that I am a snob about the good language

I must also confess to English not being my first language. Three other languages were more of a 'first' langauge to me
Therefoe that does make me a 'furriner' without a doubt

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

JaponicaJayne

molten_lava IF-Rockerz
molten_lava
molten_lava

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 1:54pm | IP Logged
I found your topic quite interesting and that's why I'm replying to your post for the first time and ofcourse, I have nothing else to do.LOL

So let me start by asking how old are you?  20+ ? 30+? This is not meant to offend you in any way, but just to show you that age does matter in the way we perceive anything around us.

You have mentioned people here using phrases like "OMG! I'm dead." or Hottie. And I confess, I do that. Simply because I'm 19 and it's an age where all teenagers go crazy and tend to over exaggerate stuff.
Ofcourse, we aren't literally dead. Blame our hormones. They tend to make our minds crazy and these words are an instant reaction to it. Do we really care about what vocabulary we use to express our feelings? No. we don't. It's just a medium to pent out our frustration.

So, tell me, have you never gone through that phase, where you completely lose your senses and go ga ga about someone? Maybe it's not Barun Sobti. There definitely must have been someone who had that effect on you. And if your answer is still no, then you haven't seen that person yet.LOL

What I'm trying to say is, the posts written in such language are just an outcome of teenagers going wild. They don't bother about grammar or vocabulary. Now, let me give you an insight of my perspective about you. I've never bothered reading your posts, because I found it too hard to decipher at times. And there have been times, when I've wondered why do people like you write any content as if it's going to be published in a newspaper or being submitted for a PhD. 

See, it's all about perspectives. Maybe once I'm older, I'll start thinking in your way and maybe look down at the younger generation thinking what's wrong with them.LOL

Just my perspective on this matter.Big smile

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

blrgal-Manal.A-JaponicaAsh95mayabegumenigma17EXPELLIARMUSlazyleaves

Jayne IF-Dazzler
Jayne
Jayne

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 2:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by enigma17

Enig,

You've touched on a topic that gets my goat regularly, be it text, speech, or actual written language.
Some are used so casually by almost everyone around me on an everyday basis that they believe this is good English... in fact, I have even observed young children being taught this incorrect grammar (also, atrocious conjugations and sentence formations).
Mind you, none of this 'regular guy' (well educated people in Academia included) English is to be found in the Oxford or Webster's dictionaries... but, if you want to stand out as a 'furriner' then speak precise, perfect English.
Jayne

Jayne,
Call me Annie.
I am simply hoping in opening up this topic I have not opened up a can of worms!

I must also confess to English not being my first language. Three other languages were more of a 'first' langauge to me

I confess to being a snob about the language, too.
And if you learned three other languages along with English, even as a toddler (at home or Day Care), English is also among your 'first' languages.

Those who learn only English are usually unable to comprehend the complexities of knowing multiple language and how they affect one's thinking, speech patterns, and even accent upon occasion.
In the Western Bloc, people from continental Europe better understand this, because many there learn English along with other languages as children.

it was interesting, however, to note a differing perspective... I had occasion to converse with someone who worked with disadvantaged youths and she claimed that she let their language be (bad)  as long as they were able to 'communicate' their intent.
I argued against it, saying that if English was their only language  -it was - they ought to, in fact, be exhorted to speak/read/write it better.
My stance was simple: Obama likely would not have been a President if his campaign speech had gone something like this:
"...Yo, dogg! Youse goin' ther' hatin' on nobody who dun youse no nuttin' wrong! Whatchya gettin' in my face fur, beeyatch!"

I do believe the 'communication' (message) is clear.
But do I have any sort of esteem/respect for this person's erudition; and perhaps, even the person?
No mystery there.

Same goes for all these texters looking for jobs in the future. As someone who has been on the hiring side at times, I generally do not go for such candidates.
A warning for them?

Jayne

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

fairycakeAsh95JaponicaDrwhoenigma17

enigma17 IF-Rockerz
enigma17
enigma17

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by molten_lava

I found your topic quite interesting and that's why I'm replying to your post for the first time and ofcourse, I have nothing else to do.LOL

So let me start by asking how old are you?  20+ ? 30+? This is not meant to offend you in any way, but just to show you that age does matter in the way we perceive anything around us.

You have mentioned people here using phrases like "OMG! I'm dead." or Hottie. And I confess, I do that. Simply because I'm 19 and it's an age where all teenagers go crazy and tend to over exaggerate stuff.
Ofcourse, we aren't literally dead. Blame our hormones. They tend to make our minds crazy and these words are an instant reaction to it. Do we really care about what vocabulary we use to express our feelings? No. we don't. It's just a medium to pent out our frustration.

So, tell me, have you never gone through that phase, where you completely lose your senses and go ga ga about someone? Maybe it's not Barun Sobti. There definitely must have been someone who had that effect on you. And if your answer is still no, then you haven't seen that person yet.LOL

What I'm trying to say is, the posts written in such language are just an outcome of teenagers going wild. They don't bother about grammar or vocabulary. Now, let me give you an insight of my perspective about you. I've never bothered reading your posts, because I found it too hard to decipher at times. And there have been times, when I've wondered why do people like you write any content as if it's going to be published in a newspaper or being submitted for a PhD. 

See, it's all about perspectives. Maybe once I'm older, I'll start thinking in your way and maybe look down at the younger generation thinking what's wrong with them.LOL

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond and your input on this 'topic'
I have to disagree with the age perspective of your response
I have 'met' and read some very young members post and many who partcipate in this very thread on a regular basis who cannot be 'catergorised' into  youth age group
They are very eloquent and I am in no doubt some of them like yourself  have raging hormones especially where BS is concerned and very understandably so.
No denying the man is very good looking

Thank you for sharing your perspective on my writing and I wholeheartedly agree with you...if it holds no interest move on. Don't waste your time and read it. I am guilty of such an act
I can assure you that I am no aspiring journalist nor am I attempting a PhD...certainly not on this IF

As for accusing me of looking down on the younger generations please do point out where I do that?
I believe I made it very clear that its my outlook on the language and nothing more nothing less and was not rude enough to mention any age group
Once again thank you for sharing your perspective

Edited by enigma17 - 05 August 2012 at 2:20pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

Ash95-Manal.A-JaponicaDrwhoJayneEXPELLIARMUSmolten_lavaCDlove

zonera1 Goldie
zonera1
zonera1

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 2:24pm | IP Logged
Nice Post.I myself dont appreciate text messages type style but U have to get used to it when its so common now-a-days.
As for BS, since he emotes well and potrays a larger than life character in a good manner,people get fascinated by him,I myself dont understand the need to call him hotwa,BS or Barun is fine,
As for me i truly enjoy "Thud I am dead" posts because they make me laugh heartily!
P.S:I assure u BS's performance is excellemt enough to make girls go gaga so cant blame them!

Edited by zonera1 - 05 August 2012 at 2:28pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Ash95JaponicaDrwhoenigma17

enigma17 IF-Rockerz
enigma17
enigma17

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 2:25pm | IP Logged

Enig,

Jayne

Jayne,
Call me Annie.

I confess to being a snob about the language, too.
And if you learned three other languages along with English, even as a toddler (at home or Day Care), English is also among your 'first' languages.

Those who learn only English are usually unable to comprehend the complexities of knowing multiple language and how they affect one's thinking, speech patterns, and even accent upon occasion.
In the Western Bloc, people from continental Europe better understand this, because many there learn English along with other languages as children.

it was interesting, however, to note a differing perspective... I had occasion to converse with someone who worked with disadvantaged youths and she claimed that she let their language be (bad)  as long as they were able to 'communicate' their intent.
I argued against it, saying that if English was their only language  -it was - they ought to, in fact, be exhorted to speak/read/write it better.
My stance was simple: Obama likely would not have been a President if his campaign speech had gone something like this:
"...Yo, dogg! Youse goin' ther' hatin' on nobody who dun youse no nuttin' wrong! Whatchya gettin' in my face fur, beeyatch!"

I do believe the 'communication' (message) is clear.
But do I have any sort of esteem/respect for this person's erudition; and perhaps, even the person?
No mystery there.

Same goes for all these texters looking for jobs in the future. As someone who has been on the hiring side at times, I generally do not go for such candidates.
A warning for them?

Jayne
Its all such an individual take I believe
One man's meat is another man's poison and all that
I am in awe of such wonderful penmanship by many that can be enjoyed on this IF
When written well its always pure pleasure and such delight to feast your eyes on those words

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

JaponicaJayne

enigma17 IF-Rockerz
enigma17
enigma17

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 2:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by zonera1

Nice Post.I myself dont appreciate text messages type style but U have to get used to it when its so common now-a-days.
As for BS, since he emotes well and potrays a larger than life character in a good manner,people get fascinated by him,I myself dont understand the need to call him hotwa,BS or Barun is fine,
As for me i truly enjoy "Thud I am dead" posts because they make me laugh heartily!
That is the crunch point I suppose
Entertainment value
If it makes you laugh why not indeed
This 'topic' I hope another entertaiment point
molten_lava IF-Rockerz
molten_lava
molten_lava

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 2:29pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by molten_lava

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond and your input on this 'topic'
I have to disagree with the age perspective of your response
I have 'met' and read some very young members posst and many who particiapte in this very thread on a regular basis who cannot be 'catergorised' into  youth age group
They are very eloquent and I am in no doubt some of them like yourself  have raging hormones especially where BS is concerned and very understandably so.
No denying the man is very good looking

Thank you for sharing your perspective on my writing and I wholeheartedly agree with you...if it holds no interest move on. Don't waste your time and read it. I am guilty of such an act
I can assure you that I am no aspiring journalist nor am I attempting a PhD...certainly not on this IF

As for accusing me of looking down on the younger generations please do point out where I do that?
I believe I made it very clear that its my outlook on the laanguage and nothing more nothing less and was not rude enough to mention any age group
Once again thank you for sharing your perspective

oh, I'm really sorry but you seem quite offended by my opinion. But that was never my intention. As I said, it was just my point of view. I totally understand and respect your views too. And I've never accused you of anything. And I have never objected to the way you write your posts. See, you are good at writing such stuff. But unfortunately people like me are neither that talented enough nor have the creativity to do so.

What I wanted to say is that the world is made of different kinds of people who all think in different tangents.  
Ok, maybe I was wrong in the way I classified all the bunch of teenagers as having raging hormones. I apologise for that whole heartedly.
Maybe I contradicted my own statement. Yes, there may be teenagers out there who are normal and not like me. Afterall, no two persons are alike, which brings me to my point that this is the reason why some people appreciate language like you and some people think it is insignificant.

Once again, I never meant to offend you in any way and I sincerely apologise if you felt so.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

blrgalEvocativeJaponicamayabegumAsh95enigma17

Go to top