Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

India-Forums

Process of Elimination...Maybe? (Page 3)

.x-bumblebee-x. IF-Sizzlerz
.x-bumblebee-x.
.x-bumblebee-x.

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 1:37pm | IP Logged
Totally..agree with the text messaging..at times I can understand..but then at times I think what are you trying to say.. its like my friend she texts me and I have to ask her to re write what she is trying to say at least 3 times because I have no idea what she is telling me. It gets frustrating at times..:/

Coming to the adjectives.. the forum isn't that bad compared to the crappy words I hear haha.. such as 'reem',' sick', 'boomting' and 'buffting' :/ thank goodness no one has used these yet!!

Good post!! And happy friendship day!! Sorry if this made no sense at all.:/

Edited by .._sonii_.. - 05 August 2012 at 1:38pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Emerald-Ash95enigma17

lazyleaves IF-Stunnerz
lazyleaves
lazyleaves

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 1:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by enigma17

Originally posted by lazyleaves

I don't like the text language. In fact I don't use it even while I type an sms. It just doesn't seem right to me. But I definitely have no problems in reading such posts Big smile

As far as English is concerned, I can proudly say that I can read any 'type' of English, having assessed a lot of answer papers in the past four years Smile

What I don't like is the suffix 'licious' which is used, misused, overused and abused.

But then again it is a matter of choice. I really don't care how some posts are written because I believe in reading what is written and not how it is written Smile

May be that is the only way some can write Smile

P.S. I love using emoticons Smile
I confess to writing an essay when texting as I am averse to these text language
I have difficulty understanding some writers and struggle to comprehend their post
I overcome this by not reading them as it really grates on me
That I am afraid is a foible of mine that I am unable to overcome
I love the English language and have found it a gateway to such delightful escapades, facts and fictions which has had me captivated and enthralled for many an hour

@red: Same here Smile My friends tell me it is an sms short message service. I always end up writing messages of more than 160 characters LOL That is one reason why I can never be on twitter LOL

@blue: I am so immune to it that it doesn't affect me anymore. At times I do forget my English though. I don't know this is a blessing or a curse Confused

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

enigma17

enigma17 IF-Rockerz
enigma17
enigma17

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by LadyLaLa

OMG I am the first to respond.. I cannot believe it.. LOL

I like your take on the text message style of  language used in some posts... Perhaps we have Technology to blame here... technology has permeated all part of our lives that we are creatures of habit... some still tend to use the same style even when responding to emails or posts.. the more we advance with technology, the more we will  become impatient and intolerant.. But I agree sometimes I find such posts very hard to read... the tone of such messages leaves much to be desired... not to mention the colourful fonts and punctuation Big smile

Thankfully, I am not one of those who worship or idolise actors... To me an idol means someone who has made a difference to the life of mankind.. someone who is worth being followed and inspires others to bring out their best.. Unfortunately I have seen very few such persons during my less than Quarter century life on this planet.. Yeah Mother Teresa is one such person with whom I have shared the planet (at least during my lifetime) ..  If there is someone I like to  emulate, they would be  my parents.. both from the field of medicine still take out the time to contribute to  Medecines Sans Frontieres .. I have seen them work tirelessly and relentlessly to heal the pain and suffering of those less fortunate... they are my idols ... so no drooling for me.. LOL

After coming on this forum, I have learnt new meanings of certain words.. words like Redemption, Bashing, Love have an all new meaning to them... I have learnt that ego on a man is more appealing than the self respect of a girl.. for  a person who has only read one M & B, I find it hard to understand the the different shades found in a man... I am not trying to be haughty but the more I see such posts the  happier  I am to see how grounded I am... I truly can't understand the fascination over or desiring a bad boy...

True, they are characters of a fiction but they have become so part of our life.. their portrayal has been so powerful that they seem almost real... this is the success factor of this serial..  Yet, when something is amiss we should have the right to say so... after all we should call a " spade a spade and not a broom " Wink ..  every character is flawed... so why give one the preference over the other?

La my beautiful , beautiful level headed friend
Happy Friendship DayHug

Its wonderful to read such sound, logical and mature response
Such level headness on one so young and my darling I bow down to you in your reverence and love for your parents
Its simply simply delightful to read such words
Indeed fictional characters are there for us to admire from a afar and even maybe fantasise about but obsessiveness is beyond my comphrehension
Every fictional character can become a part and parcel of one's life but the difference lies in the division and segregation of fact from fiction

La, I am in awe of your parents
Medecines Sans Frontieres has always been something after my own heart
They do some tireless and sometimes very thankless rigorous work
Admirable indeed

Thank you Annie... and Happy Friendship day to you too..  Hug 

I too  am fortunate to meet such wonderful and talented people on this forum..

True these characters are adorable at times but, one  should not obsess over them..

I love to read different opinions and appreciate their views too even though mine differs from theirs...  they should be put across in a polite manner... name calling and insulting underdone to their responses is what I abhour... Just because someone is hot, handsome and happening does not mean we have overlook their misdemeanour 
La,
I agree there as I too have met some varying opinions from some amazing people and though I may not hold the same ideas I like the interactions when its all amicable and debated without undue insults and negativity in the choice of words used

Difference of opinion can be rather exhilarating in bringing about a discussion that could or not as the case maybe in challenging one's ingrained notions and ideas and maybe even change that ingrained notion
enigma17 IF-Rockerz
enigma17
enigma17

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 1:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ash95

Hello Homies

Time to break my fast so will be back later on (half hour more I can hear horses doing the gallop in my tummy)

Annie and other a big Hug

Happy Friendship Day to all my lovelies here Smile
Happy Friendship Day AshHug
Reign in those horses and water and feed them
Enjoy your dinnerSmile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Ash95

enigma17 IF-Rockerz
enigma17
enigma17

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by .._sonii_..

Totally..agree with the text messaging..at times I can understand..but then at times I think what are you trying to say.. its like my friend she texts me and I have to ask her to re write what she is trying to say at least 3 times because I have no idea what she is telling me. It gets frustrating at times..:/

Coming to the adjectives.. the forum isn't that bad compared to the crappy words I hear haha.. such as 'reem',' sick', 'boomting' and 'buffting' :/ thank goodness no one has used these yet!!

Good post!! And happy friendship day!! Sorry if this made no sense at all.:/
Now you have confused and confuddled me yet again!
'Reem', 'boomting' and 'bufting'???
What the dickens do those words mean?

Happy Friendship Day to you too and thank you

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Emerald-.x-bumblebee-x.

EXPELLIARMUS IF-Rockerz
EXPELLIARMUS
EXPELLIARMUS

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged

OMG I am the first to respond.. I cannot believe it.. LOL

I like your take on the text message style of  language used in some posts... Perhaps we have Technology to blame here... technology has permeated all part of our lives that we are creatures of habit... some still tend to use the same style even when responding to emails or posts.. the more we advance with technology, the more we will  become impatient and intolerant.. But I agree sometimes I find such posts very hard to read... the tone of such messages leaves much to be desired... not to mention the colourful fonts and punctuation Big smile

Thankfully, I am not one of those who worship or idolise actors... To me an idol means someone who has made a difference to the life of mankind.. someone who is worth being followed and inspires others to bring out their best.. Unfortunately I have seen very few such persons during my less than Quarter century life on this planet.. Yeah Mother Teresa is one such person with whom I have shared the planet (at least during my lifetime) ..  If there is someone I like to  emulate, they would be  my parents.. both from the field of medicine still take out the time to contribute to  Medecines Sans Frontieres .. I have seen them work tirelessly and relentlessly to heal the pain and suffering of those less fortunate... they are my idols ... so no drooling for me.. LOL

After coming on this forum, I have learnt new meanings of certain words.. words like Redemption, Bashing, Love have an all new meaning to them... I have learnt that ego on a man is more appealing than the self respect of a girl.. for  a person who has only read one M & B, I find it hard to understand the the different shades found in a man... I am not trying to be haughty but the more I see such posts the  happier  I am to see how grounded I am... I truly can't understand the fascination over or desiring a bad boy...

True, they are characters of a fiction but they have become so part of our life.. their portrayal has been so powerful that they seem almost real... this is the success factor of this serial..  Yet, when something is amiss we should have the right to say so... after all we should call a " spade a spade and not a broom " Wink ..  every character is flawed... so why give one the preference over the other?

Much respect for your parents and their service for Medicines sans frontieres! 
Also agree with your point abut idolising the right type of person/celebrity. The choices we make about whom to emulate and look up to, often changes the course of what we make of ourselves.
As much as I love a certain actor and their vivid portrayals of fictional characters, it stops there for me. It would certainly not extend to me justifying every wrong action taken by them on screen.

LadyLaLaenigma17

Jayne IF-Dazzler
Jayne
Jayne

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged
Enig,

You've touched on a topic that gets my goat regularly, be it text, speech, or actual written language.
Some are used so casually by almost everyone around me on an everyday basis that they believe this is good English... in fact, I have even observed young children being taught this incorrect grammar (also, atrocious conjugations and sentence formations).
Mind you, none of this 'regular guy' (well educated people in Academia included) English is to be found in the Oxford or Webster's dictionaries... but, if you want to stand out as a 'furriner' then speak precise, perfect English.

Jayne

Japonicaenigma17

enigma17 IF-Rockerz
enigma17
enigma17

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by EXPELLIARMUS

Originally posted by EXPELLIARMUS

Happy Friendship Day, Enigma17!

I have a slightly different perspective here about the assault on English, I hope I do not make you yawn while I get to it in my roundabout way here.
I too have several problems with the language used in some posts here. I agree about the message texting lingo, particularly when used in "spoiler" posts. I am curious enough to try to read those, but trying to understand the spoiler often spoils my understanding of english! 
I also agree with the terminology associated with "hottie", he makes girl's physiology go crazy here with all the swooning
/drooling/breathlessness/palpitations/speechlessness etc..and my personal favorite- "I'm Dead". No, you are not, you are posting here, aren't you?
Also agree with Bash/Bashing/Bashers. Right up there on my list along with the overuse of "negative" whenever someone has a different opinion.
Having said all that, allow me to put forward something I have been thinking about for some time now. I think a lot of these mistakes and incoherent language could just be a result of unfamiliarity with the language. This may be a result of English just not being their native tongue, or their being educated in a different language. I have had some experience with this, during my training I did come across a lot of such paperwork with incoherent, illegible sentences, and I would get pretty irritated until I realised that it's not really their fault, it's just not their first language, or the language they are most familiar with. With this in mind, I do believe I am more tolerant now. After all, this is a forum where everyone is welcome to air their views, irrespective of their level of proficiency in English, which is, after all, just one of the hundreds of world languages. The fact that I cannot understand what they are saying, or if I find it unintentionally hilarious, is my problem. Wink
I really hope that I have not ruffled any feathers here. This is just my view, I certainly mean no insult to anyone. I apologise in advance if anyone thinks I mean any harm.
Happy Friendship Day everyone!
Happy Friendship Day to you too and thank you
Indeed English not being the first language can of course be one of the many reasons for the pulverisation of the language
As a matter of fact sometimes I get the impression that literal translations are being made of a sentence construction delivering words which of course sometimes is incorrect and incoherent

I have noticed her and him or rather the gender can be a confusing issue on this Forum...at times that is

I do find the advancement of technology has killed the art of verbal debate and the written language has taken a nose dive into the depth of a hell hole
Its such a pity as both the spoken and written word is such magic ...at least it is for me

Never feel you have to apologise for sharing your views on this thread
I can assure you that repercussions and redemptions are not a trait of this thread
So enjoy and pontificate away

I know this thread encourages all views, but this forum has made me paranoid about actually saying what I'm thinking!
About the literal translation, yes , a lot of times that's exactly what it is. Unfortunately grammar, punctuation and sentence construction are lost in translation. Whenever I do read any such post, I try to ignore all that and concentrate on getting the gist of what they are saying. Gives me a headache, but then it was my choice to read it!
This language in spoken and written form is indeed magic, I hope technology does not completely annihilate it.

Its my fervent hope to that technology does not do away with the wonderful language
Technology has its place without a doubt otherwise you and I would not be discussing this topic at this very moment and at such a fast pace too

JaponicaEXPELLIARMUS

Go to top