Posted: 06 August 2012 at 2:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by RuchaMulay
Well, Well! Being good with a language is one thing and conveying expressions is another! You can express very well using the formal and standard form of language, and I applaud you for that. Also your concern for the correct use of language is valid to some extent.
But you have to consider some points:
1. All may not have been exposed to wide and correct use of English Language. Some may not be good with English, so what? Are we going to ridicule them just because they make spelling mistakes or they have limited vocabulary?
2. Many of us do not have English as our mothertoungue and while expressing emotions in an excitement may go back to our mothertoungues to find words or to coin new words.
3. Language is and has to be flowing and natural. We cannot forget that Grammar DESCRIBES language. We study grammar as prescriptive rules because we are not the first users of it and hence grammar gives us an insight into how a language works. But Language is a flow. All the languages of the world have changed a lot over the length of time. If not so, what you and I are typing, would be wrong, given the sensibilities and understandings of people who lived even just a 100 years ago!!!
4. Conveying your thoughts, emotions through some medium is what language is all about! And if saying "I am excited!" is not enough for someone and they say " III AAAMMM SUPER DUPER EXXXCITED YAAR!" I am all for it!
5. People come on this forum to enjoy, what's wrong if they express themselves in a non-standard way? If they do not write good english, does it mean they have not right to express? Even if they know good English and decide to have a little fun by using some wacky short forms or othre expressions, is it really wrong? What we going to do, hang them?
6. Aren't you being unreasonable? Nobody's stopping you from using good English Language and I must say you are really good with it! But expecting everyone to use a certain type of language is a tad little too much to my thinking.
7. Everything else apart, should this happen, the Forum will lose it's variety and flavours for sure!
I'd say, relax. Cut everyone some slack. And you too enjoy!
I did not mean to offend you personally. Just putting forth my point of view.
Thank you for your input
So what indeed!
If you re-read my post its not ridiculing anyone
Its my personal peeve , my point of view aired here and shared here amongst my hommies who pontificate just as much or less as I do. My point was a very generalised one
English is not my mother tongue either. That has not stopped me attempting to learn the language and use it in its proper context
The English language has changed without a doubt but it is yet to die a dearth
Its very much here, altered to its modern day settings , indeed, nevertheless here to stay
Tut tut really you would hang someone for such a small crime such as the pulversation of the language? Really?
Rather harsh and very draconian of you I may say so
I for my part may suggest some simpler ways one may improve without having to kill them off!
If I find someone's post does not reel me in and invite me into the bosom of the author's words I simply do not bother to read any further.
Its all so simple really
Nothing drastic to it or about it
My choice and I exercise it
Its merely your opinion that I am unreasonable and the very fact you that you are defensive in saying that its not a personal attack makes it just that
I have not made any personal 'attacks' on any individuals
My posts have always been slightly out there
Its a 'home' for our hommies who enjoy participating in verbal fisticuffs and banter without any personal onslaught or fear of detrimental repercussions. Likeminded members are always welcomed here and have a free and happy podium to pontificate to their heart's content
Thank you for your advice ..relax
If I relax much more I shall be virtually horizontal
That simply won't do