India-Forums

Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon
Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Books vs. Movies/ T.V

jules IF-Rockerz
jules
jules

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 6:57am | IP Logged
There s a reason I have always prefered books over movies... its not just because I can make the characters look and dress the way I want and I can sneak and read the last page when the anticipation is killing...Smile

Books give us what motions movies and shows most of the time fail to, either due to lack of vision or due to time constraint, insights into the character's mind.
Through author's monologues, through soliloquie speeches, through silent mind talks we know at various stages the conflict in the characters' minds, the reason for their behaviours and response, their fears and desires.
In movies and shows... this is not possible all the time... which is why the difference in experience when we read a book and then watch a movie or a show based on the book. Most people would say they preferred the book... cause it just feels like their was so much more in the book...

Now why am I talking about this here... this story is not based on any book we know?? Correct! but this story is not as simple as a Mills & Boons of some 200 odd pages either.

This is not a just a story about an arrogant hidding behind a mask guy with a golden heart and laden with innocence and lots of love to give girl.
These characters are complex... they think, act and do things in a certain way and their is a good reason to it... and the complex nature of their character sketch makes it difficult to get it in the first go to the naked eyes, unless a analyses (a reasonable one and not a regular what i think is happening types) is done. When you read them you realise... ohh ya I didnt it like that.. now it makes sense.

It happened to me when I read some article that talked about how damaged Anjali was with her innumerable insecurities and how Arnav feels the need to always protect her.. After that when I recalled some scenes and moving forward when I saw other scenes I could notice that aspect which I didnt figure out earlier. Till I read that article, Anjali was a sweet.. caring sister who mothered her brother who seemed scared with their past. He was troubled to him not her.

Now had this been a book, I would have known she was troubled earlier on when the character's were being introduced so that I could understand every action and conversation in that light.  But here I got got the character sketch after I watched the show for 6 months.
 Well the fault is noones.. its just the nature of the game.. but when I think of the number of varied opinions and conflicts people have about the story lines and their interpretations of the scenes and character's actions.. it just goes to prove the bottom line... that insight into the character's mind is missing...

I will be OK with Arnav's method of wooing... if I just understood why?? If he were to say"i dont know better'... this is who I have always been... I probably wuld empathise.. like I did on friday.. where I felt her dressing down on how simple things in life are what makes her happy (on her birthday) hit home and that why he got her the simple gifts she likes... yet he got her gifts.. which reminded me of the time they were trying to patch Akash and Payal and his soultion was to send Akash with lots of gifts to the house to woe Payal.

Some habits die hard but the guy is learning... from a impersonal expensive gift worth 2 lacs, to a personally selected yet expensive gift to simple things wrapped as a surprise... you have to give it to him.. he has come a long way! But this is not the end of the road... he has just started the transformation... the complete trust which gives you the courage to show your scares and then allow the other person to heal you is still a long way to come.

But then again every episode is not a friday and I dont always get his reasoning or Khushi's or Anjali's... and thats cause in those moments I dont have an insight into their thoughts...

So that what I think would help and end this ongoing confusion... Getting an insight time and again (as a soliloquies... loud thinking r even through meaningful conversations) in he characters will just unravel their complexity and then I just the audience would accept them and their ways instead of imposition their own means onto the characters.

Edited by jules - 05 August 2012 at 8:38am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

tvbug2011OmNaMaSteOm

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top