Debate Mansion

If you believe in God, refute this! (Page 146)

Post Reply New Post

Page 146 of 149

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 07 December 2012 at 8:07am | IP Logged
Does one have to apply logic while attempting an illogical problem ?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "If you believe in God, refute this! (Page 146)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 07 December 2012 at 8:51am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 07 December 2012 at 8:10pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Beyond_the_Veil

Can God create a mountain so heavy that he cannot lift it? If he can lift it, then he couldn't have made it THAT heavy - this is a blow to his omnipotence. If he can make it that heavy that it becomes impossible for him to lift it, then he has never been omnipotent to begin with.

This is something I have just recently come across. There are some explanations found on the paradox in the net too, will have to look it up.

I read that in some article, long time ago. Paradox of omnipotent. Would link but the site is down. I have the three pages article saved to my disk.

The theists then claim God is beyond logic. He is beyond science too. And he is beyond human understanding too. But yeah, they definitely know he exists. Smells like another paradox to me. LOL

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 07 December 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

What is this about God and mountains? LOL

People are bringing him down to earth, literally. LOL

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 07 December 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _Angie_

Contemplating whether a being, proposed to exist since the beginning of times, is there or not is illogical?

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 07 December 2012 at 8:52pm | IP Logged

Reminds me of a scene from Donnie Darko

Donnie: Oh, I don't know. I mean, I'd like to believe I'm not, but I just... I've just never seen any proof, so I... I just don't debate it anymore, you know? It's like I could spend my whole life debating it over and over again, weighing the pros and cons. And in the end, I still wouldn't have any proof. So I just... I just don't debate it anymore. It's absurd.

Dr. Thurman: The search for God is absurd?

Donnie: It is if everyone dies alone.

K.Universe.

Goldie

K.Universe.

Posted: 08 December 2012 at 7:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Freethinker112

Can God create a mountain so heavy that he cannot lift it? If he can lift it, then he couldn't have made it THAT heavy - this is a blow to his omnipotence. If he can make it that heavy that it becomes impossible for him to lift it, then he has never been omnipotent to begin with.

This is something I have just recently come across. There are some explanations found on the paradox in the net too, will have to look it up.

I read that in some article, long time ago. Paradox of omnipotent. Would link but the site is down. I have the three pages article saved to my disk.

The theists then claim God is beyond logic. He is beyond science too. And he is beyond human understanding too. But yeah, they definitely know he exists. Smells like another paradox to me. LOL

It's easy to pick apart most paradoxes including the "omnipotent paradox" presented here if only one is willing to spend a couple of minutes thinking. Sadly, most people refuse to think for fear of getting taxed.

BTW, theists claiming that God definitely exists is not that different from atheists claiming that God definitely doesn't exist.

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 08 December 2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged

So God is illogical? LOL
I understand God is beyond the scope of the natural world and hence outside the field of science, so it's not scientific/material evidence one is always demanding when it comes to God. I think it is important to maintain discussions rationally  and logically, regardless of whether we are talking about something scientific or philosophical or metaphysical.

I had been referring to the various paradoxes one comes across on the net . 

Is God subject to human logic? If yes,  then any posers should be within the ambit of logic and if no, then why restrict to logical arguments ? Get it ? LOL

Some of of the paradoxes  do come across as nothing short of absurd!
For eg. Omnipotent required to prove lack of omnipotence
Can God draw a square circle ...and so on

Post Reply New Post

Go to top