If you believe in God, refute this! - Page 53

Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by Freethinker112

First of all, QM is still in infancy

Is this a joke?! Sounds hilarious to me. A mathematical model so spectacularly successful for it's precision, the closest that science has come to a fundamental description of the nature of reality, a branch of Physics which started revolutionizing the scientific world in the first decade of the 20th century the roots of whose study go back to the 17th and 18th century is in it's infancy to you?! Incredible!

many things are faith based.

Which ones?!

I know I am real and maybe you do too if you are real.

Describe "real" in scientific terms to me. Please provide as much detail as you can.

CI says that property makes sense only within the context of measurement. EPR said that the properties exist objectively even when not being measured but I think it was Bell who falsified that, right?

There is no need to "recollect" tidbits like these from memory when information is freely available all over the web.

But can this be extrapolated from atomic sized things to macroscopic objects like moon? Moon doesn't just vanish because we are not looking at it. It contains materials older than humanity, so it existed before we were here to observe it. Also, we can still feel the gravitation effect and tides when not looking at the moon.

1. Extrapolation implies that we are trying to estimate values outside a known data range. There is no unknown data range in this context. If you disagree, please let me know why.

2. The macroscopic properties of matter, be it solids, liquids or gasses, are completely depend on the microscopic particles ("atomic sized things" as you eloquently put it) composing it. If you disagree, please let me know why.

3. A wave function, described by Schrodinger's equations, is the most complete description you could give to a physical system be it moon or any other entity that you could think of. If you disagree please let me know why.

4. The moon's wave function is in a superposition of several different possible eignestates. If you disagree please let me know why.

5. The relation between the wave function and the underlying reality (ex: "spherical object reflecting light") is dependent on which interpretation (semantic explanation of mathematical equations as outlined by Schrodinger) of Quantum Mechanics one would want to go with. If you disagree please let me know why.

6. The Copenhagen Interpretation is the standard interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. If you disagree please let me know why.

7. Per Copenhagen Interpretation, a wave function appears to collapse (one single possibility emerging from several different possibilities) only after an interaction with an observer. If you disagree please let me know why.

8. If there were no observers, there would be no collapse which means it is meaningless to ask anyone to pick one possibility out of several different possibilities.  If you disagree please let me know why.

Which is why I said, the answer to the question of what exists (existed) before an observation is made is fuzzy at best.

We could also discuss the other popular interpretation (Many worlds interpretation) but that would be more shocking than the Copenhagen interpretation, trust me.

To sum up, the math behind Quantum Mechanics is fool proof. The interpretation of what the math means is what is up for discussion.

Also, act of observation doesn't change things, interaction does. Like when photon interacts with particles.

How do you propose we "observe" without any exchange of photons being involved in the process?! This should be interesting.

And the properties might not exist but the object continues to exist. Otherwise what will you observe? Observe or measuring itself assumes that and requires a thing to exist. If you say that the thing is not there when you are not observing, what will you observe then? If you say that looking creates object, that is creation not observation. Observation means that the thing is already present.

Whatever it is that is under observation, continues to "exist" in all it's possible eigenstates.

When considering all possible eigenstates, locality has to be rejected unless you would want to go with many-worlds interpretation.
Found this gem on the internet:

"Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it." - Niels Bohr
Originally posted by return_to_hades

But in your definition of God, you give God "human" traits. Desire to be command and be obeyed. Punishing those who do not listen. Those are all "human" traits you are giving a so called "divine" being.

Why does the creator want us to obey him? That everyone should do as we desire is a self centered and selfish trait. Why would any being that is supposedly benevolent be so selfish and self centered?

Also, how are we to know what God wants? Some people kill people claiming that it is what God wants. Some people torture people claiming that it is what God wants. Some people trample on human rights claiming that it is what God wants. We oppose such acts as morally objectionable. So tell me what is more important - a blind belief in guessing what God and doing it OR rational ethical moral consciousness where people think and act? A rational ethical consciousness never leads to causing harm. 

If a mere human thinks that killing is morally objectionable, why would God want something like that ?
Killing people in the name of God is just an excuse to give God/religion a bad name. 
People kill because they want to kill, not because God told them to. Would you still say the same thing If I went out right now & started killing people in your name ? No. That would just be an excuse. An excuse to give you a bad name. Where does God even tell us to kill ? If you can't tell me, then how is right to say that those people are killing in the name of God when he, himself, never said anything like that. God only tells us to defend ourselves in times of danger.
What's wrong if we obey & worship God ? It's not going to kill us. He only tells us to stay away from bad things & do good things. Can we not do that much for Him ? 

As for free will - the man may procrastinate and ignore fixing his roof, but it ends up not raining or light drizzling so he is fine. A man may fix his roof but it rains so hard it floods and his house is flooded. A man may not have the income or resources to fix his roof. How is God commanding good are bad consequences here?  

It's just a test to see how you react to situations. God wants to see what the man will do. Will he fix his roof or just ignore it ? I don't know about you, but even if I didn't have the money or resources to fix my roof, I would still look for a way to fix my roof rather than sitting down & watching my house get flooded.
Good and bad happens to all kinds of people.  It is how you perceive that consequence that matters. Just because things don't happen the way we expect it to based on our actions, doesn't mean we can just judge them as good or bad.
Originally posted by return_to_hades

How is getting burned a or hurt a consequence of disrespecting parents? How does the action lead to the consequence? What is the logical flow? 

It doesn't exactly have to be getting burnt or hurt. Disrespecting your parents or even anyone else could lead to consequences. For example, people disrespecting you, whether done online or in person. What goes around comes around. If you bully a kid, do you seriously think you'll get away with that & won't face any consequences ? It could be anything. Getting extremely sick, people bullying you, etc.

Getting burned can be a result of ignoring safety or sheer accident. Could it be that because we are so fixated in our beliefs in consequences that we find strive to find causations in mere correlations? I've definitely disrespected parents and a lot of people in my life, but I've never ever faced any silly ramifications other than my own guilt upon further reflection.

And what if your parents do something that does not merit respect? If parents or elders or any human do something unethical or morally reproachable why should we pay respects when we should stand up and point that they are wrong? Secondly, if we are angry or hurt or upset, should we not be honest and express our true feelings. If we pretend and deceive are we not living a huge lie. Isn't dishonestly unethical as well. 

If someone disrespected you, it doesn't mean you should disrespect them too. 
If you want to voice out, then do it the right way. In a beautiful manner, not an ugly one.
If someone slapped me, I wouldn't slap them back. That would just lead us both to fighting. If I ignore them & just walk away, then there would be no problems. If someone cussed at me, I wouldn't cuss back at them. If I do, it would just make me look like one of them. 
Thus, I don't like to dirty my tongue. 
When people see you do good things, they want to do good things like you too.
I don't know about you thou. I am just speaking for myself. 

I do believe that we have free will and the masters of our lives. Our actions and choices in life do have an impact on the course of life and the outcomes. But it is not black and white or illogical or random. I think doing things because of God or a Book or a preacher is dangerous as it makes us put blinkers on and stop thinking for ourselves. Doing things for the reward of heaven or the punishment of hell is also selfish and attempting to game a system. The only reasonable way to act and live is think things through with our sense of morality and rationality, when we reason and come to conclusions.

Humans need guidance.  
Edited by Aya. - 11 years ago
@ Aya

It appears that you are missing the gist of my posts.

I'm not saying one should not believe in God or worship. My contention is that faith should never be blind or unquestioned. It should always be tempered with some amount of rational thought or object.

Obviously people may kill in my name even if I didn't ask for it. But that is completely irrelevant and on another tangent. What I am trying to say is we do not know for certain beyond doubt what a God wants, that is why it is more prudent to rely on our intrinsic rationality and moral compass.

Why do you think a person kills in the name of God? Why do you think a person can claim to love God yet malign God's name? Why do you think a person can consider God merciful & benevolent but still be convinced that God wills it to slaughter people?

This happens because of blind faith. The person believes in God but also takes books or religious leaders literally. They never think for themselves. They will do anything if they think it is what God wills. They never stop to think that God would never want to cause harm or death. They blindly do what they assume to be God's will without giving second thought to morality or rationality within humanity.

So before stating anything to be what God wills and expects we ought to ask several questions as to why and ensure that we never place our faith in something that is inconsistent or harmful to humanity in the long run.

As for Karma, I think it is one of the most misunderstood and misused concepts.

Of course actions lead to consequences. It is like Newton's third law of motion. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Sometimes it is simple, if you place your hand in fire it will get burned. But when we throw human behavior and emotions in the mix, the situation gets much more complex.

A person disrespecting their parents can lead to a myriad of consequences depending on the situation. They will not all be necessarily bad. The parents may get angry and ground them. Thats a consequence. Or being human they may hurt the child by letting them down sometime. In some cases the child may have meant no disrespect by the parents misunderstood or overreacted. In some cases the parents may have done something despicable. The parents may realize this and in some way try to thank the child for doing the right thing.

This way what we do often has consequences. But God or a third party is not miraculously interfering or causing them. They occur because people around us observe what we do, they experience the impact of our actions. Consequently they make decisions about us, they react to what we do. Good, bad, mixed all sorts of consequences occur simply as a result of humans interacting with each other and being human.

That is why there is no hard and fast rule of behavior to never disrespect or obey without questioning. Nor can you game it by trying to guess what will be good and do it and avoid what is bad. You can't really guess or make a call on what others will think as good or bad or how they will react. The only thing we can do is try not to think about consequence and act in a manner which is sincere and honest to ourselves and do our best to think about what is moral and rational.

Bullies have bad endings not because God punishes bullies or wills it, but because people stand up to bullies and say "It gets better".
Originally posted by zorrro

[Zorrro] Could you hazard a guess as to what percentage? That would still leave out quite a huge area unexplored. 😛

So, the creator likes to put gap between his creations? Let's design here, then go some light years to the north, then design again?

say you design a wheel. Will the wheel fit all the vehicles out there? It is a design and yet with limitations, isnt it ? 

Because we create so many vehicles. That's why I said it would be understandable if other planets were filled with life too. But since we are alone in quite a larg chunk, why not make it habitable? If I designed only one vehicle for a country, I would only manufacture wheels that fit it.

How do you know if the process of designing isnt still continuing  ?  ðŸ˜†

Because if someone was designing, he would know the requirements at that point. Since we are evolving according to conditions, shows that there was no design.

anything unknown is a mystery ðŸ˜›

But that doesn't stop people from claiming God does exist, does it?

Thats going into infinite regress . Why not first try and know ourselves first. Just what am I ! Then think about who my creator is and then who the creator of Creator is ðŸ˜Š 

Yes. And unless one can solve that paradox or come up with an explanation that does not involve the paradox, you can't claim that God exists.

Can you suggest any Scientific Method about finding out who we are ( observable) We could later move on to the unobservables ðŸ˜›

What exactly do you mean by who we are? We are homo sapiens. We have a good understanding of our biology. The big mystery is that of consciousness. What is it?
Originally posted by K.Universe.

Is this a joke?! Sounds hilarious to me. A mathematical model so spectacularly successful for it's precision, the closest that science has come to a fundamental description of the nature of reality, a branch of Physics which started revolutionizing the scientific world in the first decade of the 20th century the roots of whose study go back to the 17th and 18th century is in it's infancy to you?! Incredible!

Which ones?!

OK, I should have worded that better. I meant the thing we are discussing in this thread, what exactly is reality, is currently not evident. We know the wave-function collapses when observed, but how or why is still not clear. The maths is there but how exactly that turns to reality is still speculation. That's what I meant by "faith". There are various school of thoughts with different interpretations. We don't have a concrete answer. Please don't quote parts because the whole sentence would have made context understandable even though the wordings were not quite good.

BTW, as I have already said, I am not much knowledgeable but you seem well read in QM. So, I would be indebted if you correct me as I will get to learn things. ðŸ˜Š