Page 1 Page 15
Page   of 16

Ankithate

Goldie

Ankithate

Posted: 28 September 2012 at 11:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by zorrro

@ Ankithate-

arrey but what is your opinion? dont you think you should sum it up ?

BTW where did public party disappear? Confused

Public Party?
Didnt get you Confused

Edited by Ankithate - 28 September 2012 at 11:47am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Incest | A Sin Or Not | (Page 16)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

_Artemis_

_Artemis_

Posted: 28 September 2012 at 12:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

From an evolutionary and anthropological concept I understand how incest went from being socially acceptable to a social and legal crime.

I am not sure if consensual incest constitutes a legal crime!

I have one question for religious views that deem incest as a sin. Judaism, Christianity and Islam deem incest a sin. At the same time they also state that all humans descended from Adam and Eve. That means the early humans had to have rampant incest. What is the reason for this contradiction?

Sorry I dont really have much idea about the religious views, but incest  does seem so insane ! I guess I could attribute that to cultural conditioning.

Then I have questions for everyone. I could not even imagine doing it with distant cousins, let alone immediate family. The thought is puke-worthy. But at the same time I fail to realize why humans are socially conditioned this way. Barring genetic problems of inbreeding ' why is it socially necessary for humans to separate familial relations and sexual relations?
Again I' d attribute that to the changing cultural influence more than the awareness of iscientific implications of inbreeding itself.

Long time ago our ancestors were totally bonking their family and getting it on with cousins, siblings, nephews, nieces what have you. I see that being impractical due to inbreeding. Also marriages became a means for expansion and cross cultural alliance, other families of equal status were more available , so people looked outside rather than in. But why did it become immoral?

As the familial institute grew it may have been felt that there are human relations other than those based on  physical desires that could be just as well wholesome. Finer emotions got a chance to develop under the security and sanctity of familial relations. Love and affection, compassion, caring  made inroads where earlier there was only the primitive physical  craving.  Morality developed on those lines. 

Besides there were cultures that frowned upon over indulgence in sensory pursuits and promoted  a more mentally disciplined lifestyle. People were expected to be able to exercise some restrain and rise above  their desires and not be enslaved by them.

Some other questions for everyone. Hypothetical scenarios.

-          If you were stranded on a desert island with an immediate relative. After a few years you give up hope of being rescued. You can survive on the island though. The question is ' Is it Ok to sexually satisfy each other or not? Do you start a family and propagate your lineage or do you die out?  

If you grew up in a culture that looked down upon it then you are likely to respond with a firm  NO for an answer. I never understood the urge for "continuation for one's lineage" thing so would have no qualms whatsoever about not propagating the lineage.

-          There was a world war/nuclear holocaust/natural disaster and the only two humans living are you and an immediate relative. What is more obligatory refraining from incest or continuing the race?

I doubt any woman would want to bring forth a child into such hostile conditions with anyone leave alone some relative. If I felt inadequate in anyway to look after my child's welfare why would  I want to bring him/her  into this world? The person and race be damned.

I'd probably let humans die out because I'm so squeamish about incest. Even if a God came and told me I was morally obligated and it was the right thing, I'd probably die ' for no good reason than my mind finds it icky.

Life would go on with me or without me.  Somehow I don't even feel concerned about continuity of human race. I wouldn't deliberately do anything to finish it off and wouldn't  be bothered much if it dies off. Whatever, but  I refuse to be taken to ransom on that plea.

zorrro

Goldie

zorrro

Posted: 30 September 2012 at 10:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ankithate

Originally posted by zorrro

@ Ankithate-

arrey but what is your opinion? dont you think you should sum it up ?

BTW where did public party disappear? Confused

Public Party?
Didnt get you Confused
Public party has been MIA since long after his topic got removed Ouch

Post Reply New Post

Go to top