India-Forums

Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India is a Weird Country :Dev Patel

doser Senior Member
doser
doser

Posted: 23 July 2012 at 4:58am | IP Logged

Dev Patel Actors Freida Pinto and Dev Patel arrive at the Chanel And Charles Finch Pre-Oscar Dinner at Madeo Restaurant on February 25, 2012 in Los Angeles, California.

"I am trying to break the mould," Dev Patel wails. The star of Slumdog Millionaire is in Hollywood, complaining that there is still a prejudice towards India that is magnified in Tinseltown.

Asian actors, he says, are seldom written into scripts except as taxi drivers or shopkeepers: "Even when I first arrived in America everyone thought I was from a slum in India. They found it weird that I had an English accent."

</p>

Ironically, given that he's one of a tiny handful of Asian actors getting decent roles outside Bollywood, he had only been to India once before Slumdog catapulted him to fame. Originally from Harrow, north London, he was dragged to a wedding in Gujarat, aged 10. His few recollections include being "bitten by mosquitos" and "getting the runs". He recalls: "I just couldn't make sense of it back then. I was a young kid and couldn't understand such a weird country."

Then in 2008, Danny Boyle cast him as Jamal Malik and unlocked the country for him in a way his parents never could. "The India I witnessed through Danny was the India of gangsters and black money. It gave it an identity that I am still forging in my acting identity today."

Nevertheless, Patel feels ambivalent about his good fortune: "As an Asian guy in the film world, you automatically get pigeonholed. I noticed that even before I got here. Without stepping into a room, you could already hear people thinking: 'he can be that guy who runs that shop or drives that taxi'. And that was a real hindrance. But after a while I began to realise that I couldn't keep turning down roles. I had to conform to what Hollywood was giving me and then break that boundary from within the role."

<font color="#333333" face="Georgia, Times New Roman, serif" size="2"></font>Does he go along with the prevalent opinion - that he's punching above his weight with the seriously beautiful Pinto?

"I used to hate that," he concedes, before putting on a mock-outraged tone. "She's beautiful - but what about my personality! What about what I bring? She's lucky to have me! But now my attitude has changed. If I saw this beautiful woman with a dude who looks as unfortunate as I do, the first thing that would come to my mind would be: 'You lucky bas***d'."

<p>

Edited by radsuinda - 23 July 2012 at 6:46pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Nkapoor3

New_nova IF-Rockerz
New_nova
New_nova

Posted: 23 July 2012 at 5:07am | IP Logged
His few recollections include being "bitten by mosquitos" and "getting the runs".Angry

Mistyy

doser Senior Member
doser
doser

Posted: 23 July 2012 at 5:10am | IP Logged
You would imagine that Dev Patel, movie star and boyfriend of his ethereally beautiful Slumdog Millionaire co-star Freida Pinto, lives a very glamorous life.

But in fact the lanky, boyishly handsome 21-year-old still lives at home in Harrow with his parents. Sorry? No sleek love nest in Mumbai, New York or Soho? What?

"That's on the checklist, man," says Patel sheepishly. "It's nice living at home but I'm definitely ready to move out. If you found my house on Google maps and it had a volume button you would hear my crazy family screaming."

He and Pinto tried to keep their romance "under locks, but it was difficult because we were doing press junkets together, playing lovers in the film - and everyone was guessing".

They were finally outed months later. "I was shooting The Last Airbender," he says. "And I pestered Paramount senseless to let me fly to Tel Aviv where she was filming. They feared for my emotional stability so they were arm-locked into letting me go. I'd never made a gesture like that - flying across the world to see a girl. And we got papped."

Worse, he'd told his mum he had a heavy shooting schedule that week and couldn't call her. So when she saw pictures of him canoodling with Pinto in Israel "she rang to say, 'And how is Philadelphia, my boy?' So embarrassing." Suddenly, there were hordes of cameramen outside his family's home: "It's terrifying to go out and know you are being watched by so many people."

But even though his character is flamboyant, funny, and has a seriously hot girlfriend, it is a supporting role, and a broad one at that. It must be hard: he implies he never appreciated the quiet life until the Slumdog bandwagon rolled noisily over him, never appreciated the adulation and intense scrutiny until it went quiet again.  Does he envy Pinto her success?

"No. Everyone runs their own race," he says. "She's a woman, I'm a man. Well, I'm not even a man, just a young kid. That's what I'm seen as because I've got this baby face. I won't get those big-boy roles until my facial hair fills out a bit. Being patient is hard, and keeping myself stimulated during the quiet times is a big thing. But it's been a blessing being with her. It's kept me driven, seeing her work, when I'm not working."

Edited by radsuinda - 23 July 2012 at 5:19am
Neetu_Unleashed IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 23 July 2012 at 5:21am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

evangelinelilySunshine797

HaHaHeHe-Hupp IF-Sizzlerz
HaHaHeHe-Hupp
HaHaHeHe-Hupp

Posted: 23 July 2012 at 5:25am | IP Logged
Look Ugly. Kinda jobless like Finto.

Shayu.

doser Senior Member
doser
doser

Posted: 23 July 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ~Attractive~

Look Ugly. Kinda jobless like Finto.

Knight of Cups with Christian Bale

The Catastrophist
Locations: Congo and other parts of Africa
The shooting starts in early 2013. Freida plays an Italian journalist in the film, which is based on Ronan Bennett's novel about a love affair during a violent civil war.

The Desert Dancer
Locations: Parts of Iran
The film is about the Iranian dancer Afshin Ghaffarian. Freida plays Afshin's (Reece Ritchie) mentor.

Sunshine797

doser Senior Member
doser
doser

Posted: 23 July 2012 at 7:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by New_nova

His few recollections include being "bitten by mosquitos" and "getting the runs".Angry
U had such experience in India?
New_nova IF-Rockerz
New_nova
New_nova

Posted: 23 July 2012 at 7:38am | IP Logged
Originally posted by radsuinda

Originally posted by New_nova

U had such experience in India?

That was for Dev

Go to top