||Hindi Ek Rajya ki Nahi, Rashtra ki Bhasha ||

-sahasra- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago

INTRODUCTION

Hindi-Urdu is an Indo-Aryan language and the lingua franca of North India and Pakistan. It is also known as Hindustani  literally meaning "of Hindustan"), and historically, as Hindavi or Rekhta. It derives primarily from the Khariboli dialect of Delhi, and incorporates a large amount of vocabulary from Persian, Arabic, Sanskrit and Turkic.It is a pluricentric language, with two official forms, Standard Hindi and Standard Urdu, which are standardized registers of it. The colloquial languages are all but indistinguishable, and even the official standards are nearly identical in grammar, though they differ in literary conventions and in academic and technical vocabulary, with Urdu retaining stronger Persian, Central Asian and Arabic influences, and Hindi relying more heavily on Sanskrit. Before the Partition of British India, the terms Hindustani, Urdu, and Hindi were synonymous; all covered what would be called Urdu and Hindi today. The term Hindustani is still used for the colloquial language and lingua franca of India and Pakistan, for example for the language of Bollywood films, as well as for several quite different varieties of Hindi spoken outside of the Subcontinent, such as Fijian Hindustani and the Caribbean Hindustani of Suriname and Trinidad.

Hindi, in the broad sense, consists of a variety of dialects [spoken  across a geographical area] within the Indo-Aryan language family in the northern plains of India, bounded on the northwest and west by Punjabi, Sindhi, Gujarati and Marathi; on the east by Maithili and Bengali; and on the north by Nepali.

This wide definition results in a clear majority of Indians being speakers of Hindi. As defined in the 1991 census, Hindi covers a number of Central, East-Central, Eastern, and Northern Zone languages, including the Bihari languages excepting Maithili, the Rajasthani languages, and the Pahari languages excepting Dogri and Nepali. Linguistically, it is equally possible to classify these as separate languages rather than dialects.

Standard Hindi, the official language of India, is based on the Khariboli dialect of the Delhi region and differs from Urdu in that it is usually written in the indigenous Devnagri script of India and exhibits less Persian influence than Urdu. It has a literature of 500 years, with prose, poetry, religion & philosophy, under the Bahmani Kings and later on Khutab Shahi Adil Shahi etc. It is a living language, still prevalent all over the Deccan Plateau. Note that the term "Hindustani" has generally fallen out of common usage in modern India, except to refer to a style of Indian classical music prevalent in northern India. The term used to refer to the language is "Hindi", regardless of the mix of Persian or Sanskrit words used by the speaker. One could conceive of a wide spectrum of dialects, with the highly Persianized Urdu at one end of the spectrum and a heavily Sanskrit-based dialect, spoken in the region around Varanasi, at the other end of the spectrum. In common usage in India, the term "Hindi" includes all these dialects except those at the Urdu end of the spectrum. Thus, the different meanings of the word "Hindi" include, among others:

1. standardized Hindi as taught in schools throughout India,
  2. formal or official Hindi advocated by Purushottam Das Tandon and as instituted by the post-independence Indian government, heavily influenced by Sanskrit,
  3. the vernacular dialects of Hindustani/Hindi-Urdu as spoken throughout India,
  4. the neutralized form of the language used in popular television and films, or
  5. the more formal neutralized form of the language used in broadcast and print news reports.

Outside the Indian subcontinent

Much of the Hindi spoken outside of the subcontinent is quite distinct from the India-Pakistan standard language. In addition, the language of Muslims is commonly called "Urdu" rather than "Hindi" or "Hindustani."

• Mauritian Hindi, spoken in Mauritius, based on Bhojpuri and influenced by French.
  • Sarnami, a form of Bhojpuri with Awadhi influence spoken by Surinamers of Indian descent.
  • Fiji Hindi, derived form of Awadhi, Bhojpuri and including many English and native Fijian words, is spoken by Fijians of Indian descent.
  • Trinidad Hindi, based on Bhojpuri, and spoken in Trinidad and Tobago by people of Indian descent.
  • South African Hindi, based on Bhojpuri, and spoken in South Africa by people of Indian descent.

Like Sanskrit, Hindi is written in the Dev Naagari script, which is common to several other Indian languages as well. Hindi is normally spoken using a combination of 52 sounds, ten vowels and 40 consonants. There are 11 vowels and 36 consonants in Hindi. Pronunciation in Hindi is relatively easy since, unlike English, letters are always pronounced exactly the same way. Once you have learned the letters, reading is straight forward and simple. There is a well known philosophy which says that when one meditates on the specific sounds of the Dev Naagari alphabet, the written forms appear spontaneously in the mind.

Tanya

Pooja

Tanya

For Rules n  more info visit

||Zabaan Seekhle||

NOTE:

Plz Don't comment on this thread until Pooja/Tanya come n reserve their posts.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

poshah thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Hello Everyone,

I would like to start the week  with one of Kunal's shayari

Ahista Ahista Kuch Hone Laga hai

Gradually, some thing has started to happen

Dil ka Sukoon khone laga hai

My heart is becoming restless (My mind is always pre occupied with your thoughts)

Dekha nahi tumhe kabhi iss nazar se

I have never seen you like that ( never looked at you with love or as a lover)

Lekin tumhari nazar ka asar hone laga hai

But still, your gaze has started to make an impression

Khwabon se poocho ki kya hai ye shararat 

Please ask the dreams, what is this naughtiness

Jo raton ka chain khone laga hai

That because of the dreams, I have started to lose sleep in the nights

Khud par ab bas nahi hai apana

I have no control over myself

Lagata hai shayad pyar hone laga hai

It appears that probably I have started to fall in love

Thanks Sahasra for the introduction, for a second I couldn't recognize that it is the same text 😃. I really want to thank you for all the pictures you put, they gelled with the title completely and also the post you made with the title..You clearly explained the meaning of the title by putting India's map.

Sahasra, thanks so much 👏⭐️.

The meaning of the name of the thread is

Hindi, ek rajya ki nahi rashtra ki bhasha

Meaning= Hindi, it is not a language of a state, but its a national language

[Rajya=state, Rashtra=country and bhasha= language]
Edited by poshah - 11 years ago
poshah thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Looking to start the session with some basic conversation sentences..

Galti ho to maaf kar dijiyega mujhe [If I make any mistakes, pl pardon me]

Main pehle kabhi shikshak nahi bani hoon, pehli baar sikha rahe hoon, [ I have never been a teacher before, this is the first time I am teaching]

Namaste, Shubh Prabhat doston [ Welcome, Good Morning friends]

Mera naam pooja hai [ My name is Pooja]

Aapka naam kya hai? [What is your name]

Main Mumbai ki rehne wali hoon, [I stay in Mumbai]

Aap kahan ke rehne wale hai [Where are you from]

O, aap London ke rehne wale hai [ O you stay in London]

Waha to kafi baarish hoti hai [It rains a lot there]

Mumbai mein to kafi garmi padti hai [In Mumbai, it is very hot]

Jo log hindi sikhna chahte hai, main chahti hoon ki woh apna naam aur shehar bataye[ All the people who are looking to learn Hindi, I want them to tell their names and city in Hindi ]

tanyashrivastav thumbnail

thanx alot Sahasra for this post...

great work pooja di ...in translating kunal's shaayari's ...

nd i am really sorry for being soo late on my own language thread ...was away from the forum for a week due to my laptop not functioning properly ...

so really looking forward to see lots of particpation on this thread ...

main yeh asha kaarti hoon ke aap sab ko hamara hindi padhane ka prayas pasand ayega ...

Now lets talk about Hindi Varnamala(alphabet chart )

A letter is known as 'Varna' ( and the alphabet chart is known as '(varnamala'). Vowels are called : 

'Swar'.   and Consonants are called 'Vyanjan'
There are 11 vowels/swar in Hindi. And they are:

There are 36 consonants ( vyanjan ) in Hindi ... 

the following chart shows the entire varnamala...

Edited by tanyashrivastav - 11 years ago
awesumsonia thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Mera naam sona hain
Mien Kerala mein rehti hoon

Well...since i was brought up in delhi...i know to speak Hindi...but i still dunno the meanings of some Hindi words...
will disturb pooja di n Tanya wid my doubts😆
sure sonia ...tumhare mann mein jo bhi shanka (doubt ) ho ..tum bilkul nischint hokar pooch sakti ho😆

kuch zyada hi shudh hindi ho gayi na...😆
awesumsonia thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: tanyashrivastav

sure sonia ...tumhare mann mein jo bhi shanka (doubt ) ho ..tum bilkul nischint hokar pooch sakti ho😆

kuch zyada hi shudh hindi ho gayi na...😆

haaan kuch zyaada ho gayi thi...lekin  Shudh hindi sunn ne ki aadat ho gayi hain mujhe 😉
(all thnx to Ronit da ...he always speaks Shudh Hindi in his show Adaalat)
Now lets have a look at some Hindi words ...with their english meanings ...

prataha Kaal - dawn/morning hour

Sandhya Kaal- dusk/evening time

Ratri /Nisha - night time

parvat/shail - Mountain

Samir/pavan - wind

Vishwa     -     World

Brahmand - Universe

Pragati -  Development

Prerna - inspiration

Prasidha - Famous /well known

Aradhana/ Stuti  - prayer /worship

Astitva    -  existence /identity

Anginat - Innumerable

Anurodh - Request

Aamdani - earnings

dayaneye - Miserable

Sahanbhooti - Sypathy

Abhineta- Actor

shikshak- teacher

Kshama - Pardon/forgive

Ehsaas - Realisation

Ekta - unity/oneness

Prashn - Question

Uttar- Answer

Poorva Disha - East  Direction

Pashchim disha  - west direction

Uttar  disha - northern  direction

Dakshin - southern direction

Itihaas - History

Bhogol - geography

Ganit - Mathematics ..

Rasayan Shastra - Chemistry

Edited by tanyashrivastav - 11 years ago
bhavis thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail
Mananiya Acharayagan!
Apka yeh hindi sikhane ka prayas bahut hi adbhut aur prasanshniya hain. 👏
Hindi bhasha ka parichay padhke dil bag bag ho gaya hain.

Pooja Kunal ki shayari ne yaha char chand laga diya.  Shukr hain is bhasha sheekhane ke liye ap wapas is manch par hum sab doston ke saath guftgu karengi. 

Tanya, apko mene kuch PM kiya hain. 

Apka saath safar se pahele chodne ke liye mein apse mafi mangti hoon. 

Edited by BHAVI1972 - 11 years ago