Do we have rights to commit suicide ? - Page 3

Posted: 11 years ago
Yes, you have the right to do so much but does that make it right? Suicide's for cowards... You have to face certain obstacles in life, quitters never win! ❤️
Originally posted by pyaarihippo

Yes, you have the right to do so much but does that make it right? Suicide's for cowards... You have to face certain obstacles in life, quitters never win! ❤️

Hehe, and if you committ suicide, you will never win! You are right dears. Hehehehehehe.
Originally posted by cheenibutter

I am always right ❤️

I am a hippo not a deer!
If you are willing to leave the impression to others that you are a coward after you die then suicide is fine. 
Originally posted by i.am.

these people sure don't have any right to wether you live or not, and practically you can end it...but were you the one who started yourlife?
that just leads to another wave of questions...

Exactly, we don't have a say in our birth, so why should death be any different? Giving up a world of possibilities for a false sense of control does not seem worth it. Live.
If you want a  right to die - go ahead and kill yourself. But you'll leave behind a legacy of selfishness and cowardliness. Suicide is the last option, one needs to fight as long as you can. If you slash your veins, some one will have to clear the mess and if you fall from a building someone will have to gather your bones. If you crush yourself beneath a truck, someone will have to sew you up for the autopsy. So, suicide multiplies worries and work. In the end it is your  choice but morally the answer would be a no.
sure go ahead , but you will still be a loser . 😆 
k i know serouse topic, as some1 said that in india if u attempt suiside you go to jail, well i think they shoiuld change maybe help you instead of punishing you,.
There is no point in criminalizing suicide imo - what purpose would the law serve when you have no fear of your life being torn apart*?

Having said that, I don't condone suicide. You are disrespecting and throwing away a life that was given to you. You are also disrespecting the people to whom you may mean a lot.

But I don't see it as unethical a deed like murder. IMO self-harm and harming others ain't the same thing. Doesn't mean I support suicide but I by no means consider it as horrible a deed as many does here.

*yeah it's figurative. Putting it just because. 😛
Edited by Beyond_the_Veil - 11 years ago

What sort of suicide are we talking about here? Euthanasia/physician assisted suicide or just suicide in general. The framework changes a bit.

I support euthanasia, especially in the case of terminally ill patients. I think a human being has the right to end their life with respect and dignity. Although, I think second doctor's opinions as well as counseling should be mandated before making the decision to ensure people don't act hastily.

Even if not terminally ill; I cannot imagine living in a vegetated or incapacitated state. I don't think society has the right of forcing one to live in indignity and embarrassment. A living will drafted by a reputable lawyer should be sufficient. Good lawyers usually advice their clients to speak to pastors or counselors to ensure clear conscience before drafting end of life treatments.

Now suicide by healthy, able bodied individuals who have a long life ahead of them is very unfortunate. Sadly bullying, bankruptcy, job loss, divorce, affairs, loneliness and various other stress factors lead to depression that leads to suicide. They do have the right to end their lives and they are not criminals. But these individuals are also not their normal selves and would not consider the option if they were in their normal state of mind. They do need help. I view criminalizing suicide is a deterrent, rather than actually viewing them as perpetrating a crime. Sometimes a prison cell with someone watching them is safer for someone with a tendency to harm themselves. Very rarely do authorities actually prosecute people for suicide. Even if they do, the goal is to get them in a shelter or get them counseling or get them medical treatment so they can get back to a healthy happy state of mind. These law also intends to protect loved ones. While we may not have a right or ownership over their lives, we do have some rights over our loved ones. We don't want to lose them to unfortunate circumstances and suicide laws try to serve this purpose. I think it is very easy to look down on people who commit suicide. Death actually is one of the biggest human fears. These people have been pushed so far that they prefer one of the biggest fears to everything else. It is not a pleasant place to be. Rather than blame them or ridicule them, the decent thing to do is figure out how we could have prevented it.

On a side not I believe "attempted suicide" is a prosecutable crime not "suicide". After successful execution of "suicide" there is no criminal alive  to prosecute unless posthumous prosecution is an option.  

"On a side not I believe "attempted suicide" is a prosecutable crime not "suicide"."

Obviously, it's a given. This is why you can't control ppl through laws if they don't have fear for their own lives. Locking a person in jail for attempted suicide won't matter much, they might as well harm themselves more like that.

This thread reminds me of Veronica Decides to Die. The girl there wants to commit suicide not because she's depressed, but simply because she feels life has no meaning as she's already lived it completely. And because she was bored.