The Times I felt Insulted as an audience... Edited

jules thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
From a time when there were just one or two channels for viewing to a time where I don't even know how many channels are provided to me by my service provider... what has changed is not just the increase in options available, but the immense power to choose we as audience have, which really boils down to what and who holds my attention and for how long.

From a person being someone's favorite actor from the first movie they watched till their last one, this is the age where favourite actors are as recent as their last performance or popular character they played. Basically the demand is less and supply is more which is why the TRP game is the axe that determines who stays in the race. This is not just an Indian phenomena... in the west... shows are as good as the last season they aired. Shows that have been popular for years suddenly brutally get axed by channels cause they failed to attract the audience.

And now what does the audience want - is it romance? drama? action? violence?  Well, to each his own... they want all of it and just one of it... there are enough people who watching t.v. who can make a decent number of audience to all shows that cater to all these genres. They watch what suits them...
But what most of us wont compromise with is being perceived as illogical dub witted idiots who watch things episode to episode without connecting the dots and questioning. This forum itself is an example of how much we question reasoning and and logic. I for one like to see myself as a logical person who really likes viewing things that make sense and are in tune with the characters, storyline and plot that was started on...

The story of IPPKND was tight, bang on and within the scripted plot till the terrace scene between Shyam and Khushi for me... whatever happened up to that point made sense... I never disliked Arnav, no matter what he did and said, because it was just as expected from his character,just like Khushi's  naiveness was expected from her, as one who always gave people the benefit of doubt and so on for the other characters.

The downward Spiral for me started after that.. where my intelligence was questioned and I was expected to believe and buy stuff that was completely illogical...

Instances for that..
  • If Arnav believed Shyam and Khushi were involved and cheating his sister and on confrontation Shyam convinced him of the same, why didnt he tell Khushi the reason for blackmailing her into marrying him earlier on. What was the big secret... for God sake,, if they were lovers, Shyam would have told Khushi anyways.
  • What was the logic of adding the 6 month as a contract  time period for marriage (that too as a last minute voice over). Anjali would still be pregnant and so at risk if she was informed that her husband was a scumbag.
  • And ok.. if that was the intention and looks like 6 months is almost coming to an end, then when finally the truth was out... why wasnt everything brought out in the open. I mean was Anjali suppose to be told things in installments.. recover from this shock first then I will tell you that i saw him with Khushi 6 months ago and thats why I choose to support Khushi and not just because I am bestowed by her.
  • For a man who sacked an employee just because he didn't stand up in defense of his to be wife before his family, Arnav is shown to be an upright man who has no tolerance for anyone who disrespects the wives and daughter in laws of the house. So what happens to him when his wife and sister in law are repeatedly heinously belittled and insulted. Did he lend his spin to Preeto's husband during Bidaai??
  • Khushi's engagement to a man named Shyam was a known fact to all in RM.  Infact when she revealed the name, Mami had  looked at Anjali awkwardly and Anjali had brushed it aside saying only my husband's name is not Shyam. When Khushi gave her story to Arnav when he confronted her...I get that at that moment of fury he ignored it. But for all the flashbacks he had.. why didn't he rethink her explanation and piece things together... or at least investigate.That is what a person who so badly wanted to believe his love was not at fault would normally do, right?
  • The mother of all... Arnav was freaking kidnapped...he didnt loose his way at the airport and get locked in a room in Vasant Vihar... do family members have no concern and care to inquire at least after the inital shock of the drama is over of what happened to him and how he was kept. Not even the so called brother who seems to have lost a grip of what he is angry with his wife about.
  • Khushi risked her life to save Arnav.. she almost died and had to be revived... a medical consult is what logically people would go for to ensure she hasn't suffered some collateral damage.
  • During the Shyam confrontation..Arnav held his facial muscles tight and stood through all accusations and character assassinations Khushi and Payal was subjected to making us believe that there was a big mystery why he was holding his silence. We all waited for the big revelation as to why Arnav was mum...guess it is still not the right time to reveal that or the fact why they came in separately. Do we have a dream sequence for that?
  • When Arnav did decide to explain that he was sure Shyam is at fault.. why only tell Nani about it.. why not sit all the others down too and reveal the truth to them too, especially when accusations seem to continue to float. What is the secret there?
  • When so many things have happened in a household, nephew kidnapped and rescued, son- in law accused and exiled, niece attempting abortion, does the only male elder of the family not have to be informed??? Where is Mamaji?
  • When a pregnant woman goes to the doctor demanding an abortion and on the doctor's refusal, attempts to harm herself within the hospital premises, she is deemed to be mental unfit. It is a big sign of a mental breakdown.. and you dont bring this person home and leave her to confine herself in her room. You get psychological help. A family where people are Harvard educated would know that much, I had hoped

some more...
  • I must confession that as a stand along episode by episode bit, I enjoyed the comedy track.. the swami bit and the loosing the voice scenes did tickle my funny boon, but in the bigger picture  perspective - how does a girl who has been blackmailed into a contracted marriage think of ways of annoying her temporary husband instead of figuring out ways to decode the mystery behind the marriage. Infact the very knowledge that she has to explain why she is back home after 6 months to her family should have given her sleepless nights at the pool side or the bed.
  • How come Payal or the rest of the family, even after reconciliation never sat Khushi down and asked her the reason behind her hurried marriage. Mrs. Gupta had time to ask her if Arnav keeps her happy but one word about Par Beta Kyu didn't occur to her. Does no one want to know why they married mysteriously?? Its ok if she doesnt tell or cooks up a lie but ask na!
  • The mystery behind Anjali's age is greater than an Agatha Christie novel... in the permanent flashblacks Arnav has, he looks like a teenage boy bearing no resemblance to the current guy while Anjali looks the same. Even if I consider her to be 18 at the time and think Arnav to be some 15 year old, some 12 years has passed since that incident (he is 27 now), so that makes Anjali 30 and  the way she refers to Shyam sounds like he is older to her. Then how is he just 27 as per the divorce papers?
  • I understand the kidnapping track was a deviation to accommodate the lead's absence but instead of wasting grey cells on trying to keep up the mystery of who the kidnapper is (cause dude we knew from the begining it was Shyam), couldnt they have spent some time figuring out how it would end. Arnav made a supporting will that stated that if he died in unnatural circumstances all his wealth goes to a trust. So what was the logic of the keep him alive for 15 days. Shyam just mentioned it saying it was a matter of 15 days and thought we got it, like we all have made similar wills with the same clause!
  • Khushi and NK got the name of the travels Shyam contacted to get the Scotland  visa stamped. They even looked the details of the travels online and determined it was a small scale travel agent. How come no one has tried to find out about the passport stamping bit still... if not for anything else at least to just get proof for a family who still doesn't trust.
  • Arnav got picked up by the kidnappers from the airport after his check in, meaning his luggage was checked in. He didnt board the flight but his luggage is with the airlines, how come they never contacted anyone reporting the luggage to be collected and thereby the fact that he had not boarded. They could have shown Khushi receiving the news... to keep the news away from the family but still!
  • When Arnav and Khushi first met during his kidnapping and Khushi went on a questioning speel, Arnav calmed her saying,  'Hum sab kuch discussion kar lege, first let me break this ventilator'.  I guess discussion has been postponed to the next kidnapping. You need to have something to talk about then.
  • Anjali seems confused about who is right and who is wrong between her brother and husband... heard of questioning skills?? Instead of asking him why he is changed after marriage, asking him on what bases he threw her husband out could fetch her more peace of mind. How is she living in that house not being sure of why the man she adored has been maligned. Take lesson or two from Khushi, who went to all extent to gather proof that her husband was indeed kidnapped when she had the hunch that something was wrong.

These are the ones I can compile from the top of my head. If anyone can think of more such instances where our intelligence has been underestimated, feel free to add.

Sometimes I feel the PH planned and wrote the story till the wedding preparations time after that it was on the spur of the moment cause the loopholes have been widening ever since. And no matter how much they justify the pressure of the profession.. it is all about the survival of the fittest and the unique...

We dont want Rabba ve 5 days a week, but proper character formation and establishment is what makes a journey likable and believable. If you try to en cash on one or two characters and then wake up to involve the rest.. the audience have grown use to a pattern and are unable to warm up to the others suddently... So having  a plot and using any track to follow the big picture is critical!

Edited by jules - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

trina2010 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 8
Wonderful. Very legitimate questions. We viewers have no clue and I bet PH has none either.
heidi thumbnail
all ur points are 100% correct..i think we have to find answers of our own ..i n that way we will get a peace of mind..wat is to be asked to a PH, who dont deserve a feedback??only thing we can do is just change the channel when the show gets disgusting,only trps can open cv's eyes..when trp's dip they will know who audience is..
Edited by heidi - 11 years ago
anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
very good post...the only answer i can think of is that Indian Daily Soaps are way worse then this...

In IPk our intelligence is atleast questioned...but in other daily soaps...they take it for granted that we lack intelligence completely...

i have a solution for myself, since i am forced to watch these stupids soaps (not IPK, m talking bt others) i laugh at their dramas...

Maverick29 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
I posted the stuff below on another track asking logical questions!!!!  Like a lot of people said when we watch this show we need to send our brain on a vacation and watch it with our hearts.  But after a point it becomes a bit too difficult especially when they start hurting that "heart" part as well -- which is what they are doing now!!!  So, see if this reply below referring to Anjali's lack of baby bump fits your question as well!!!

Dont worry the psychotic bunch (called the writers of the show) will come up with an insane creative explanation!!!

The ones I loved from other posts:

Size Zero baby
Gas Bubble Baby
Mini Me baby
The little baby so small that no one can actually find it but Lakshmiji is found licking!!!

Dont expect logic -- this is a daily soap --if you want logical stuff watch Satyameva Jayate -- Dekhna Hai To DeKho!!!  You Hormonal women ask too many questions!!  We think all questions however logical spread negativity.  We think that calling a spade a spade is "bashing".  And after all of this we expect a TRP of 100!

Need I say more????

This is really fun!!!!

Cheers.
aadyakali thumbnail
You are bang on. I'd rather not thion k about it all, as i get worked up and frustrated and like u said , i feel the CVz are insulting our intelligence and think that they just have to throw some nice rom com at us to pacify us and that we are not worth some well wrapped scenarios and some research work  before showcsing the serial.
The biggest and most dangerous i think is the way they tackled the  Arnav being a diabetic . A lot has been said on that but i deem that it is serious and dangerous misinformation that the cvz have given. You do not get low blood sugar level by not taking your meds quite the reverse. That is DANGEROUS MISINFORMATION

And let us not talk about the not-there-baby-bump. I think she is not preggy.
IllGetOverIpk thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
spot on post... pls email it some of those PH..guys...
its turning into a comedy circus/...
i am feeling so bad abt writing this comment but its true
jules thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Maverick29

Thanks for adding the baby bump point.. missed that.. without getting into details.. another show by the same PH made a lot of news on the same lines about the character being pregnant without a bump and there were a lot of criticisms about it at the time too.. Guess they dont learn or maybe all the meds Anjali is taking is a part of some new medical discovery of being pregnant without a bump!!! Naye Soch you see!!😊
LIONHEART thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Very well written and i can definetely add to the instances where our intelligence n patience has been insulted n tested but then it would make a pretty looong post!!!
It seems the PH doesn't give a damn about the show anymore since its busy with its new shows etc. the story is going randon without any logic. The dialogues are being written without any regard to their implications esp the 12july accusations of Arnav on Khushi!!
The harvard educcated doesn't give a twit about his wife n sis in law being called derogatory names by maami for so long??? Akash has turned into another mama?s boy, spineless!!
Cant even start what the cv have done to Anjali's character!!
Please do send ur post to PH fb page!!
Praying for better times for us n the show!!

Maverick29 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: jules

Maverick29

Thanks for adding the baby bump point.. missed that.. without getting into details.. another show by the same PH made a lot of news on the same lines about the character being pregnant without a bump and there were a lot of criticisms about it at the time too.. Guess they dont learn or maybe all the meds Anjali is taking is a part of some new medical discovery of being pregnant without a bump!!! Naye Soch you see!!😊

I dont think they understand the message they are sending -- something as beautiful as "pregnancy" at least for the family and in general for the people around is being made fun of by keeping her looking the usual without a baby bump!

The reason obviously is "they think she will not look as good with the baby bump" -- but she will look good moping around, acting like she is about to die of some really dangerous decease that sucks out all the energy at once!!  And the she is looking good I guess doing crap like showing the disgusting "feelings" she did on Friday!!!

So, the physical problem of looking a bit fat because you are pregnant is bad but showing the completely ridiculous and really repulsive personality is fine as long as you can look like you are thin -- SHALLOW doesnt begin to explain the behavior.