Book Talk

Which is more important - the style or the story?

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
So I have been reading a ton of those free books on Kindle.  Some are really good stories, but the grammatical errors or typos are kinda annoying.  And then I have read some very nicely edited books (that did cost a lot too) but not with a great storyline.  

And so I want to ask you what's more important for you? The writing style or the story?

Now of course there's nothing better than having both, and that's not very rare either.  All the books that go through the conventional editing process rarely have errors, though not the same can be said about the story.

But which do you think is more annoying? Bad writing or storyline? If you had to choose, what would you pick? A book with a bad storyline or one with bad writing? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Heart thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
According to me, both are equally important but then again perfect language and story is a very rare case, is it not? If the story line gets my attention but the grammar and language is not upto the mark, it is quiet irritating. But I'd go with bad story line. I mean I can survive bad english, because honestly I have read a lot of fan fictions and very rarely does the writing style reach the mark, but if the story is good I am fine with it. But if the story line is illogical it completely frustrates me. I can do with bad english (as long it is readable and not difficult to understand) but I can not do with stupid and illogical story line. 
nandini27 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
If the writing is bad, then it means the author really needs to work on their grammars, writing skills. Its possible they have a real good imagination and creativity about how to take the story.

If its a bad storyline then it means, the author is on the wrong ideas. They are not creative enough or do not have the innovativeness in them for that particular genre. But they can try to be innovative.

So if I had to choose between a writer who can imrpove their skills in their future or a writer who needs to go different with the story, The former can be achieved while latter can be difficult. The latter may lead to repeatative storylines. But I prefer them because if the writing goes bad, you fail to enjoy the story. So you eventually end up not liking the story. I dont mind the story being less attractive as long as its well written. I can admire atleast the style.

I would however thinks thrice or more before I choose the same author with the good style. I think the synopsis provided will be of help there. In case of bad writers, I will give them some time, skip a few books and then later try if its improved or not.