Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

The Truth about Rajesh Khanna, seedi, saanf story (Page 18)

MoonDesir IF-Dazzler
MoonDesir
MoonDesir

Posted: 03 August 2012 at 10:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by tanvismile

hey rajeev khandelwal is perfect choice for rajesh khanna role,Plus he is an awesome actor by the way what compliment did rajeev got frm rajesh khanna,i coudnt open the link.

here Rajeev mentioned that once some1 introduced him to kaka as the new age rajesh khanna,then rajeev masand asked how did he react? Rajeev then said i dunno but he said do u know whats the difference btwn u and me(in rajesh khanna style) ...u are a better actor than me...it was humble him though.Smile

Edited by MoonDesir - 03 August 2012 at 10:13am

-Cruiser- IF-Sizzlerz
-Cruiser-
-Cruiser-

Posted: 03 August 2012 at 12:54pm | IP Logged
Superb discussion thread...nicely outlining both sides of it when it comes to magic called Rajesh Khanna!Clap

-Cruiser- IF-Sizzlerz
-Cruiser-
-Cruiser-

Posted: 04 August 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged
Usually I only make funny, nonsensical posts but reading this engrossing thread, could not help but make a few points.Tongue

Some points for both sides to consider:Smile

1. Do glance through Rajesh Khanna's Wiki Page... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajesh_Khanna#Later_career_.281992-2012.29    It gives lot of insight into the man, his career, his post 90s phase etc.Clap

2. Contrary to what many believe, RK was adopted by extremely rich parents and was always a pampered child. Only 'struggler' to have struggled in a sports car, in those days he had a princely sum of 1000 Rupees as his monthly pocket money (may be even more than 100,000 in today's equivalent terms)...To put it into right perspective, in late 80s, as a kid I used to get 600 bucks a month as pocket money from my mom and felt like a Prince!...Phewww...1000 Rupees in early 60s!!! Wacko

3. Even in his worst days, he was never really short of funds. A bit of research and you can discover he was an extremely savvy investor and in his good times had invested in lots of properties in Mumbai, Chennai and other places as well.

4. Today, you see lots of corporates like Zee, Sahara, UTV, Reliance etc. producing movies and lot of black money menace has been curbed (though it can never be eliminated completely). In RK's heydays, as well as 80s and good part of 90s, unorganized funding, loads from rich Diamond traders...later from Dawood types as well, ensured Actors concealing sackfuls of money and habitually defaulting on their tax payments. RK stunned every one by clearing his tax arrears in 2009 by paying a staggering 7 crores as Income Tax and ending 5th highest Tax payer that year, way ahead of Amitabh Bacchan in same year... http://www.indicine.com/movies/bollywood/top-5-tax-payers-for-2009/

5. Rajesh had a set of well accepted mannerisms that made especially girls swoon over him again and again, but you can't help but admire the man for being so daring even in his hey days. At his height he has been bold enough to do diverse roles like Murderer on run in Ittefaq, a no heroine domestic help Chef in Bawarchi, absolutely diverse roles in Anand, Andaaz, Baharo Ke Sapne, Aaradhna, Amar Prem, Maryada etc...so many movies.

Amitabh, a lot more intense actor, comparitively suffered a lot because of his entrapment in the Angry Young man image post Zanzeer. Personally, I would rate Amitabh a much more accomplished actor then Rajesh, but it is a sheer tribute to charisma and craze that Rajesh commanded that in his heydays, audience would love him in any kind of role he did. That is what separated him from all else I suppose.

6. I do not understand why some of you find fault with Dimple leaving Rajesh and for her relationship with Sunny Deol. If, as it is said, Dimple has been in a relationship with Sunny for over 20 years, in itself they deserve to be complimented. Any day I would rate a strong relationship like that way above sham marriages that so many are forced to live with and put up a pretense. 

7. Dimple's BOBBY was a huge hit and it is natural that her circle would have continuously goaded her,"Oh God..if only you hadn't given up on your career..." On top, a phenomenon like Rajesh hitting a lean patch, Amitabh's ascendancy to his throne and resulting frustrations of Rajesh obviously pushed things to the hilt and she walked out.

Recently I watched JAANBAAZ and SAGAR and I must say she looked absolutely fabulous in both movies. I wish many of today's girls would take a leaf out of Dimple on how to always look elegant and stylish. She surely had a precise idea of what to wear, her hair do, make up,... unlike say two Shilpas I can straight away think of--Shetty and Shhirodkar...both clumsy clowns when it comes to dress sense!

8. Some one said here Rajesh was nasty to Amitabh in his heydays. So many articles would dismiss that allegation.

Infact, one only has to read this interview that both did together to appreciate deep within both these guys had admiration for each other. In this very interview Rajesh tells Amitabh that the day he watched NAMAKHARAAM's trial show, he told Hrishikesh Mukherji,"Sir, Amitabh is your new Super Star". http://tanqeed.com/forum/rajesh-khanna-and-amitabh-bachchan-interview-from-movie-magazine-1990/

You only have to read Amitabh's blog post RK's demise, how highly he held RK in his esteem. One only has to compare his tributes to Dev Anand and Rajesh Khanna to understand the simple fact. RK is visily fond of Amitabh not just in above interview but in his words during receiving Life Time Achievement Trophy from Amitah at IIFA awards function.

9. Rajesh did go horribly wrong in 80s, when he lost Dimple because of his pride that prevented him from finding a wavelength with Dimple and either persuading her to stay away from films as he wanted...or...agreeing to let her work.

It happens with many and unfortunately it happened with him as well. His affair with Tina Munim, perhaps was a combination of an ego massage that deep within assured him he was still good enough for a girl half his age and an inner desire to be loved and adored by a young gorgeous girl. Perhaps, Rajesh should have made better efforts to either reconcile his differences with Dimple or find a way to get a Divorce from her and settle down with Tina or some one else.

When Dimple wanted to resume her career, both her daughters were too young and perhaps it is not difficult to understand RK here as a father who would not want the mother of his two little daughters to be away for months on outdoor schedules. And surely his ego would have jumped in as well.

Just in case some do not realise it, in those days, norm was to settle down after marriage and not do any new film if you were a girl. All Raj Kapoor Khandaan Bahoos like Babita, Neetu Singh etc. are shining examples of that, ...Jennifer Kendell was a firang ofcourse.

It is highly doubtful Kareena-Karishma would have worked in films, had destiny blessed Randhir with two sons as well! Mom tells me Randhir actually was extremely upset when Karishma first signed up for a film...his discomfort would have been palpable considering it was 'His Daughter' who broke the Kapoor Khandaan tradition!

...Dimple was a rebel..a trend setter and needs to be admired for treading on uncharted territory and doing quite well in the end. Her performance in RUDAALI is at par with some of the finest performances like those of Nargis in Mother India and Nutan in BANDINI...compliments to Dimple.Clap

In his joint interview with Amitabh, Rajesh does say it is criminal to curb talent and had he even seen BOBBY, he would not have stopped Dimple. He even offered to make film for Daughter and explained it as absolutely normal...he says to daughter, you are my daughter, not my wife and my wife, I needed for my little kids.

10. Have read quite a few reports that suggest it was not Rajesh but Anju Mahendroo who got impatient and started a relationship with Gary Sobers of West Indies. Obviously, it would have been too much for the pride of a hard boiled Punjabi who happened to be heart-throb of millions of girls of that time and he retaliated in his own way.

11. In 90s, Rajesh did spectacularly well to lose to a seasoned Politician like LK Advani by a mere handful of votes and then winning New Delhi Parliamentary seat next time. If you read his Wiki page, he ended up doing reasonably well in his Tele serials, especially his Raghukul Reet Sada Chali Aayi.

In the end, he did not consume alcohol...it is alcohol that ended up consuming India's first Super Star. If only he had been able to reconcile his differences with Dimple or settled down with someone else, may be he would have ended up doing lot better in life...be it in Senior roles / Politics / TV world...Shocked

Moral of the story, even if you are alone, stay away from alcohol.Thumbs Up

PS: Long post...I EmbarrassedI have earned my right to a can of Carlsberg beer!

Edited by cruiser51 - 05 August 2012 at 11:08pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

mkgoldierobbircricketfan1sarasingh86khoslakadhokla

mkgoldie Newbie
mkgoldie
mkgoldie

Posted: 04 August 2012 at 7:42am | IP Logged

The writer is minister of state for parliamentary affairs - Rajiv Shukla

A superstar, his fans, and some hypocrites

On Thursday, as I sat watching non-stop television coverage of the funeral of India's beloved superstar, I was intrigued. I had no idea that the passing away of Rajesh Khanna would be accorded such importance by TV news channels that gave priority to it over the voting for the presidential elections.

English news channels cancelled their regular programmes and ended up giving a blow-by-blow coverage of Kaka's final journey. This breathless coverage may have served as an eye-opener for the younger generation and conveyed in some measure the cult status Kaka enjoyed in his heyday, but to those of my generation — a generation that got a front-row view of Rajesh Khanna's many highs and lows — this almost theatrical display of public mourning by those who did not spare a thought for Kaka when his life was at its lowest ebb smacked of hypocrisy.
Few know of the trials and travails Rajesh Khanna was subjected to in the past 15 years. Those Bollywood personalities who are now paying him public homilies are the very same people who not only distanced themselves from Kaka but also made fun of him. Today, when the cameras roll, they hail him as the "superstar of the century" without any regret about using their own "star power" to deny Kaka work. Films that were coming his way would suddenly vanish at the insistence of these stars, who would pressure the producer or director to ensure that Rajesh Khanna was not cast in a film. In success, people thronged to him to share and celebrate his stardom. In failure, the very same people deemed it fit to leave him alone. More often than not he would be found killing time in his Sarvapriya Vihar flat in Delhi. Even phone calls from him would go unanswered. Rajesh Khanna would often call me and I would try my best to cheer him up. I would go and visit him, too. Every time I met him, I wondered about the unpredictability and irony of life — there was a time when people were willing to risk their lives by throwing themselves in front of Rajesh Khanna's car to touch him, and now nobody wanted to hold his hand when he needed them the most.
Tax-related issues about his bungalow, Aashirwad, would often cause him anxiety. Despite all the family issues Kaka faced, he was happy with his son-in-law Akshay Kumar. He told me that by buying his bungalow to ensure that the income-tax department got off his back, Akshay had helped him in a big way.
Rajesh Khanna would also share many of his joys and sorrows with Congress president Sonia Gandhi's political secretary Ahmad Patel, who would often help him. In fact, just two days before his death he had spoken to Mr Patel. I must also mention that many Congress leaders made fun of Rajesh Khanna and tried to ensure that he remained in political wilderness, but the Congress high command never got influenced by this and fielded him as a Congress candidate on four occasions. In the last Gujarat Assembly elections, he was specially included in the party's election campaign. Many would often spread baseless rumours about Rajesh Khanna not being able to make it on time and waking up only after noon. I remember, when Kaka and I were campaigning in districts around Surat for three days, he would get ready by nine in the morning and would call me up, asking me to hurry so that we did not miss the scheduled meetings. His popularity amongst the masses was just the same even at that time. Huge crowds would assemble in Gujarat to hear him speak at the rallies. In fact, his meeting in the BJP-stronghold Patan, the seat which is contested by Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi's confidante Anandiben Patel, saw a gathering of over 60,000 people.
I saw Rajesh Khanna for the first time in 1974, in Mumbai's Filmcity when he was at the peak of his stardom. I have made many friends in the film fraternity since then, but I can vouch that no other filmstar can match Kaka in his looks. When he entered politics I was able to meet him along with Rajiv Gandhi and that's when our friendship began and later blossomed. In Parliament, Rajesh Khanna got along with other MPs. His humble nature did not allow him to hang around Parliament or the Central Hall in the capacity of a former MP — a privilege that many former MPs exploit to the fullest.
Years ago, Kaka wanted to serve former Prime Minister Narasimha Rao as his adviser on cultural affairs. He often told me that like Jeetendra Prasad, Rao's political adviser, he too would like to be his cultural adviser. But the Prime Minister never warmed up to that idea. Thereafter, Kaka drifted away from politics and tried to revive his acting career, spending most of his time in Mumbai. But the powers that be in Bollywood put a spoke every time it seemed the wheels were beginning to move.
At the end of the day the one person who truly stood by Rajesh Khanna was Bhupesh Raiseen, an associate Kaka had made from the Indian Youth Congress. For Delhi-based Bhupesh, Kaka was everything. He would serve Kaka with dedication and integrity, both on the political and personal front. That is why those who are now shedding tears for Kaka before the camera seem nothing more than opportunists to me.
Kaka's journey took him from the peaks of fame to the gallows of ignominy. He traversed this difficult path all by himself without complaining. At a recent award function, he said the following words in his inimitable style, truly capturing the essence of his life: "Izzatein, shohratein, chahatein, ulfatein, koi bhi cheez duniya mein rehti nahin. Aaj main jahan hoon, kal koi aur tha. Yeh bhi ek daur hai, woh bhi ek daur tha (Respect, fame, love and travails are not permanent. Today, I am here, at this place. Yesterday, somebody else was here. This is my time, my era, that was someone's time, another era)."
http://www.asianage.com/columnists/superstar-his-fans-and-some-hypocrites-508

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Raima36cricketfan1

cricketfan1 IF-Dazzler
cricketfan1
cricketfan1

Posted: 04 August 2012 at 8:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by cruiser51

Usually I only make funny, nonsensical posts but reading this engrossing thread, could not help but make a few points.Tongue

1. Do glance through Rajesh Khanna's Wiki Page... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajesh_Khanna#Later_career_.281992-2012.29    It gives lot of insight into the man, his career, his post 90s phase etc.Clap

2. Contrary to what many believe, RK was adopted by extremely rich parents and was always a pampered child. Only 'struggler' to have struggled in a sports car, in those days he had a princely sum of 1000 Rupees as his monthly pocket money (may be even more than 100,000 in today's equivalent terms)...To put it into right perspective, in late 80s, as a kid I used to get 600 bucks a month as pocket money from my mom and felt like a Prince!...Phewww...1000 Rupees in early 60s!!! Wacko

3. Even in his worst days, he was never really short of funds. A bit of research and you can discover he was an extremely savvy investor and in his good times had invested in lots of properties in Mumbai, Chennai and other places as well.

4. Today, you see lots of corporates like Zee, Sahara, UTV, Reliance etc. producing money and lot of black money menace has been curbed (though it can never be eliminated completely). In RK's heydays, as well as 80s and good part of 90s, unorganized funding, loads from rich Diamond traders...later from Dawood types as well, ensured Actors concealing sackfuls of money and habitually defaulting on their tax payments. RK stunned every one by clearing his tax arrears in 2009 by paying a staggering 7 crores as Income Tax and ending 5th highest Tax payer that year, way ahead of Amitabh Bacchan in same year... http://www.indicine.com/movies/bollywood/top-5-tax-payers-for-2009/

5. Rajesh had a set of well accepted mannerisms that made especially girls swoon over him again and again, but you can't help but admire the man for being so daring even in his hey days. At his height he has been bold enough to do diverse roles like Murderer on run in Ittefaq, a no heroine domestic help Chef in Bawarchi, absolutely diverse roles in Anand, Andaaz, Baharo Ke Sapne, Aaradhna, Amar Prem, Maryada etc...so many movies.

Amitabh, a lot more intense actor, comparitively suffered a lot because of his entrapment in the Angry Young man image post Zanzeer. Personally, I would rate Amitabh a much more accomplished actor then Rajesh, but it is a sheer tribute to charisma and craze that Rajesh commanded that in his heydays, audience would love him in any kind of role he did. That is what separated him from all else I suppose.

6. I do not understand why some of you find fault with Dimple leaving Rajesh and for her relationship with Sunny Deol. If, as it is said, Dimple has been in a relationship with Sunny for over 20 years, in itself they deserve to be complimented. Any day I would rate a strong relationship like that way above sham marriages that so many are forced to live with and put up a pretense. 

7. Dimple's BOBBY was a huge hit and it is natural that her circle would have continuously goaded her,"Oh God..if only you hadn't given up on your career..." On top, a phenomenon like Rajesh hitting a lean patch, Amitabh's ascendancy to his throne and resulting frustrations of Rajesh obviously pushed things to the hilt and she walked out.

Recently I watched JAANBAAZ and SAGAR and I must say she looked absolutely fabulous in both movies. I wish many of today's girls would take a leaf out of Dimple on how to always look elegant and stylish. She surely had a precise idea of what to wear, her hair do, make up,... unlike say two Shilpas I can straight away think of--Shetty and Shhirodkar...both clumsy clowns when it comes to dress sense!

8. Some one said here Rajesh was nasty to Amitabh in his heydays. So many articles would dismiss that allegation.

Infact, one only has to read this interview that both did together to appreciate deep within both these guys had admiration for each other. In this very interview Rajesh tells Amitabh that the day he watched NAMAKHARAAM's trial show, he told Hrishikesh Mukherji,"Sir, Amitabh is your new Super Star". http://tanqeed.com/forum/rajesh-khanna-and-amitabh-bachchan-interview-from-movie-magazine-1990/

You only have to read Amitabh's blog post RK's demise, how highly he held RK in his esteem. One only has to compare his tributes to Dev Anand and Rajesh Khanna to understand the simple fact. RK is visily fond of Amitabh not just in above interview but in his words during receiving Life Time Achievement Trophy from Amitah at IIFA awards function.

9. Rajesh did go horribly wrong in 80s, when he lost Dimple because of his pride that prevented him from finding a wavelength with Dimple and either persuading her to stay away from films as he wanted...or...agreeing to let her work.

It happens with many and unfortunately it happened with him as well. His affair with Tina Munim, perhaps was a combination of an ego massage that deep within assured him he was still good enough for a girl half his age and an inner desire to be loved and adored by a young gorgeous girl. Perhaps, Rajesh should have made better efforts to either reconcile his differences with Dimple or find a way to get a Divorce from her and settle down with Tina or some one else.

When Dimple wanted to resume her career, both her daughters were too young and perhaps it is not difficult to understand RK here as a father who would not want the mother of his two little daughters to be away for months on outdoor schedules. And surely his ego would have jumped in as well.

Just in case some do not realise it, in those days, norm was to settle down after marriage and not do any new film if you were a girl. All Raj Kapoor Khandaan Bahoos like Babita, Neetu Singh etc. are shining examples of that, ...Jennifer Kendell was a firang ofcourse.

It is highly doubtful Kareena-Karishma would have worked in films, had destiny blessed Randhir with two sons as well! Mom tells me Randhir actually was extremely upset when Karishma first signed up for a film...his discomfort would have been palpable considering it was 'His Daughter' who broke the Kapoor Khandaan tradition!

...Dimple was a rebel..a trend setter and needs to be admired for treading on uncharted territory and doing quite well in the end. Her performance in RUDAALI is at par with some of the finest performances like those of Nargis in Mother India and Nutan in BANDINI...compliments to Dimple.Clap

In his joint interview with Amitabh, Rajesh does say it is criminal to curb talent and had he even seen BOBBY, he would not have stopped Dimple. He even offered to make film for Daughter and explained it as absolutely normal...he says to daughter, you are my daughter, not my wife and my wife, I needed for my little kids.

10. Have read quite a few reports that suggest it was not Rajesh but Anju Mahendroo who got impatient and started a relationship with Gary Sobers of West Indies. Obviously, it would have been too much for the pride of a hard boiled Punjabi who happened to be heart-throb of millions of girls of that time and he retaliated in his own way.

11. In 90s, Rajesh did spectacularly well to lose to a seasoned Politician like LK Advani by a mere handful of votes and then winning New Delhi Parliamentary seat next time. If you read his Wiki page, he ended up doing reasonably well in his Tele serials, especially his Raghukul Reet Sada Chali Aayi.

In the end, he did not consume alcohol...it is alcohol that ended up consuming India's first Super Star. If only he had been able to reconcile his differences with Dimple or settled down with someone else, may be he would have ended up doing lot better in life...be it in Senior roles / Politics / TV world...Shocked

Loved this post...a fairly unbiased one...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Cruiser-

mkgoldie Newbie
mkgoldie
mkgoldie

Posted: 04 August 2012 at 12:26pm | IP Logged
I feel somewhere he was alone inside , success and failure are the part of life, on reading interveiw of Amitabh and kaka, i felt that he wasn't very upset of failure, he accepted it...and want to continue acting.  But he was alone somewhere, no family support, no friends ...so he might have choosen bottle. I know Alcohol is  not solution, but when all surrounding become against you , no one to support you , how a person can be remain balanced. ...

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

lamhejaate-Cruiser-Nkapoor3

tanvismile IF-Sizzlerz
tanvismile
tanvismile

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 4:39am | IP Logged
I think he destroyal started when he left anju
-Cruiser- IF-Sizzlerz
-Cruiser-
-Cruiser-

Posted: 05 August 2012 at 11:15pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by cricketfan1

Originally posted by cruiser51

4. Today, you see lots of corporates like Zee, Sahara, UTV, Reliance etc. producing movies and lot of black money menace has been curbed (though it can never be eliminated completely). In RK's heydays, as well as 80s and good part of 90s, unorganized funding, loads from rich Diamond traders...later from Dawood types as well, ensured Actors concealing sackfuls of money and habitually defaulting on their tax payments. RK stunned every one by clearing his tax arrears in 2009 by paying a staggering 7 crores as Income Tax and ending 5th highest Tax payer that year, way ahead of Amitabh Bacchan in same year... http://www.indicine.com/movies/bollywood/top-5-tax-payers-for-2009/

Loved this post...a fairly unbiased one...

Thank you Sir! Smile

Go to top