Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

What happened to Satyamev Jayate ? (Page 5)

drummedup IF-Dazzler
drummedup
drummedup

Posted: 23 July 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Omnipotent_Taco

Originally posted by drummedup

If they are brave enough they should take up conflicted issues like reservations, FDI et al. Where we will react as WE ARE than what we are SUPPOSED TO react like.

Couldn't agree more.

I was kicked about SMJ and thought the initial few episodes were great. Then I started losing interest because I guess I expected the show to take on a more ballsy approach to controversial topics Indians are generally hesitant to talk about.

I would have really liked to see issues that are deep-rooted (and controversial) in Indian society- like closet racism, reservation, legalisation of prostitution and same sex marriages, lack of public hygiene (they could have expanded on this in the water episode, but they didn't Sleepy), etc., be openly discussed and debated.

Instead, we had a one and a half hour show that barely skimmed a majority of topics that have already been widely discussed on other platforms (We The People, The Big Fight, etc.). SMJ also seemed to offer haphazard solutions in the end of each episode for the sake of it, topped off with a live performance. For example, in the episode about pesticides/organic farming, they briefly covered farmer suicides without even talking about Monsanto being the biggest contributor to that very problem. Confused

Anyway, I'm very happy with the initiative the show's creators/ Aamir have taken in taking up certain issues with the Government. Aamir for one needs to work on his hosting skills pronto. He's too preachy and sometimes theatrical, and he talks at the audience rather than to them.

That's a total death knell for a serious show like this. I hope the producers consider taboo issues in the second season. They need to take SMJ to another level, or it will just have to bite the dust.

@Red: I HIGHLY doubt that. The support from the audience they've got till now has every chance of vanishing if they do that. That is why I said they should be brave enough to take up such issues.It will be a HUGE risk for them to debate on these issues. Indians feel TOO strongly about these things and take them personally. If there is difference of opinion here,the show's support is going to get halved, which I doubt the channels will risk. It will be admirable if Aamir dares to do that.

@Blue: Exactly! exactly my grouse with the show. They won't dare mention Monsanto forget even questioning how it is in a way responsible from farmer suicides to killing bio-div in the country.I can sort of understand why they would not dare do it. When they are having trouble to address the universally supported issues, if they point fingers at things which the Govt., itself is backing, it will be going against the system which neither Aamir nor the channels can afford. With, we buying all the BT-varities from Monsanto, with Govt., itself declaring reservations for generating vote-banks, and Lordy! sex will turn into a religious debate eventually, which are both least tolerant issues for us. Oh! I doubt Aamir would risk all that.

I kind of find people reacting to the show very amusing. By talking about it or tweeting about it we are feeling we are doing something.But would the same people be Open-minded enough to ACCEPT different opinions and consider them if some conflicted issue is taken up? Easier said than done.

As for Aamir,he should take a leaf out of Arnab Goswami's books.LOL That man has got insane guts despite his complete LACK of Journalistic diplomacy and all those emotional outbursts.LOL  Aamir is method acting even here. It seems he rehearses his expressions before going on camera, not the spontaneous reactions which are needed or maybe his botox is deceiving him.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

-Charmed-khamosshhhAntlersAngel-likeDevil

Nkapoor3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 23 July 2012 at 11:17pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
Enycedoll IF-Rockerz
Enycedoll
Enycedoll

Posted: 24 July 2012 at 2:32am | IP Logged
Its highly offensive to use the word "retarded" because its used for people with mental disabilities and is HIGHLY OFFENSIVE. So people, please be mindful of ur language. 
AnimatedGeet Senior Member

Posted: 24 July 2012 at 5:27am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Go to top