Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

don12 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: Nitu_TheTwisted

ok if thats offensive i go with the other way round...would say the audience apt for 'retarded shows' however it doesn't make much difference to me. 

and SMJ has amaassed donations for few organizations, that has been done by many past shows in doordarshan as well, i don't see a big change, even on facebook there are pics which clearly depicts that despite of appreciation, only few people came out for the support..regarding all the episdoes.. the impact was mostly made up. though i respect the novelty of the show as it was well made, i am not gonna agree with the change tht its talking abt unless i get some valid proof...there are things...'jo aaj kahe aur kal bhool gaye' its mainly becoz of the state and the countrymen that's so dried up.

What were you expecting for SMJ?? This show will change India in one night?? This show was to create awareness. If this show change the mindset of one person i think it is successful.AK and his team did not just sit on their bums they tried to do something for the society unlike many of us who only like to pass on smart ass comment on internet without doing anything.

SMJ impact is Maharashtra Govt is asking the center for creating a law that female foeticide be treated as a manslaughter. Is this not a change?? Several sonography centers are sealed courtesy SMJ, Maharashtra Gov now passed a law on generic medicine. Aamir Khan made a presentation regarding generic medicine to JPC. AK also met Manmohan Singh regarding manual scavengers.

SMJ is doing what NGO or government should have done years ago but failed miserably.

krangara thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I applaud Aamir Khan for his Satyamev Jayate, especially when no one else had the guts to host such a different, informational and educational show.  

Why do people think he is superficial?   If Aamir didn't care, he would host the show, make the big bucks and move on.  Instead, he takes up the issues with the government, meets Ministers, talks to people...he truly CARES...
the show run because of the name of Amir not anything else
Arshi-licious01 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Lol I was also thinking the same. The show received equal criticism and praise. However, it did raise awareness to many causes. 
Originally posted by: don12

What were you expecting for SMJ?? This show will change India in one night?? This show was to create awareness. If this show change the mindset of one person i think it is successful.AK and his team did not just sit on their bums they tried to do something for the society unlike many of us who only like to pass on smart ass comment on internet without doing anything.

SMJ impact is Maharashtra Govt is asking the center for creating a law that female foeticide be treated as a manslaughter. Is this not a change?? Several sonography centers are sealed courtesy SMJ, Maharashtra Gov now passed a law on generic medicine. Aamir Khan made a presentation regarding generic medicine to JPC. AK also met Manmohan Singh regarding manual scavengers.

SMJ is doing what NGO or government should have done years ago but failed miserably.

what i meant to say what the excitement from the audiences which this show got in the beginning had been missing...try to read and understand what i am trying to say...

and the so called changes are u talking abt...i wanna how much they are into services after 6 months or a year becoz many changes have happened in the past as well, but only some had been alived to keep the impact going.🥱 becoz so much corruption is placed in this country and it can be diluted at any given time

and its funny to see some people liking and taking side of SMJ now where they mocked the whole season ðŸ˜•ðŸ¥± talk abt hypocrisy 
Edited by Nitu_TheTwisted - 11 years ago
krangara thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
No one can blame Aamir if those laws and rules are not upheld six years down the line.

But I give the SMJ team complete credit for raising awareness, both actively and passively, to bring about some positive change in the society :) 
DaddyMarvel thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 8
What is Lakhon Mein Ek about?
It's because no one's interested in social change. 
Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I do understand that some of the reforms initiated, won't successfully pull through...

but IMO, its enough that this show at least gets people to know about national issues.

I remember watching the trailer of that Marigold Hotel movie with a friend, and they showed poverty and stuff in India.. and she was all "ugh, why do they always show the crap bits of India in movies.. I mean yeah, that bit does exist in India, but it's not everything"

It isn't everything. But it IS a huge part of India, and its so futile to deny that. We live a life of utter luxury, without even knowing that till this date, people make a living out of shoving their hands into human shit. 
We live away from India, or in big cities or whatever, without knowing that kids our age somewhere else, have to clean bathrooms and whatnot, just because they're born in a lower zaat

I think the initial popularity this show fetched, even though it has faltered, has at least let more people acknowledge ki haanji, our country is far from being perfect.

Some people love to live under a rose-tinted umbrella... truth is, we're just terribly lucky bas***ds who can afford to do so.
Omnipotent_Taco thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: drummedup

If they are brave enough they should take up conflicted issues like reservations, FDI et al. Where we will react as WE ARE than what we are SUPPOSED TO react like.

Couldn't agree more.

I was kicked about SMJ and thought the initial few episodes were great. Then I started losing interest because I guess I expected the show to take on a more ballsy approach to controversial topics Indians are generally hesitant to talk about.

I would have really liked to see issues that are deep-rooted (and controversial) in Indian society- like closet racism, reservation, legalisation of prostitution and same sex marriages, lack of public hygiene (they could have expanded on this in the water episode, but they didn't 🥱), etc., be openly discussed and debated.

Instead, we had a one and a half hour show that barely skimmed a majority of topics that have already been widely discussed on other platforms (We The People, The Big Fight, etc.). SMJ also seemed to offer haphazard solutions in the end of each episode for the sake of it, topped off with a live performance. For example, in the episode about pesticides/organic farming, they briefly covered farmer suicides without even talking about Monsanto being the biggest contributor to that very problem. 😕

Anyway, I'm very happy with the initiative the show's creators/ Aamir have taken in taking up certain issues with the Government. Aamir for one needs to work on his hosting skills pronto. He's too preachy and sometimes theatrical, and he talks at the audience rather than to them.

That's a total death knell for a serious show like this. I hope the producers consider taboo issues in the second season. They need to take SMJ to another level, or it will just have to bite the dust.
Edited by Omnipotent_Taco - 11 years ago