India-Forums

Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon
Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Professional Choices & Handling What Comes With It

jules IF-Rockerz
jules
jules

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:08am | IP Logged
I am gonna make this as non accusatory as possible :)

I have been watching movies and television for ever... infact people who know me call me a big movie buff... I am the kind of person who catches my fav American shows online the next day after they have been aired in the US.. cause I have no patience to wait for them to be aired in India whenever it does!

In all this time of watching various shows of various genres and taking the journey with various characters personifies by actors who play them.. the one thing I have never come across is... actors and crew begging people to love them cause they work very hard...

And this is not just about what has happened recently... I have seem these statements flying around in many of the interviews of different cast and crew members of IPKKND- "You have no idea how hectic things are.. we all are working very hard for you... so you need to like whatever is being produced!!!

I am not gonna comment on the track, story line.. these are subjective preferences... someone or the other will be unhappy and that is natural and OK, really. Because every individual is different with different opinions and perspectives! 
But their constantly statements on how hard they work is sort of annoying now.. cause every professional no matter which one, people works hard! I work my ass off too but I don't go to my boss and say, please like everything I am doing cause I am working really hard.  If only we could just chill and get paid.. that would be ideal... 

Agreed, actors work longer hours and not always in the best conditions, but they get paid accordingly too...
And above it all.. they choose that profession.. knowing what all were the pros and cons that comes with it...

There was an interview once with Shahrukh and Kajol where they were talking about the current media frenzy and Shahrukh rightly put it - the actors need the media for their benefit... its a give and take... you need them and they need you. You cant choose to pick what you like and discard the rest that doesn't suit you. It doesn't work like that!
If you want the money, the fame, the popularity, the kick of walking down the road and being recognized.. then you also have to deal with the criticism, the gossips, the scrutiny. They are the two sides of the same coin.

Imagine the movie actors, who go to tough locations, shoot in terrible conditions, recreate their look for movies and spend months shooting for a 2 1/2 show, after watching which people come out and say 'Bakwas thi'. Well that the trade... do we see them going around and saying please love us and spend ur money and watch it cause we worked very hard.  Television is an industry where at least the writers and actors keep getting daily or at least weekly feedback on whether what they are doing is working or not and have the opportunity to make amends. But movies there is no such scope cause only the  finished product is what is revealed to the world for feedback.

And really... I wonder how Gulshan Grover, Amrish Puri and many others survived, when people would run away on spotting them even in real life... cause their persona of being villains was so strong. Its a profession that  needs one to be willing to accept criticism and take it in their stride and not to let praise get to their head. 

This is the reason I always felt people who get into the media line need grooming on how to handle that lifestyle... Of late that belief is becoming stronger!

Edited by jules - 19 July 2012 at 2:36am

The following 21 member(s) liked the above post:

cheeky25dua_forever-Madhatter-mastiSanayacrazyforarshiurvashi_93huntinchildKrishma042babli0204luvipkknd4everNeemsundarigheeshakkarJulie0001GirlOfFireMahi122swetha_chzaniaxSaJanLuv14NewbiesoapfanpieryroseGodhuliLogon

vkp1989 IF-Rockerz
vkp1989
vkp1989

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:47am | IP Logged
Very valid points.
100 % agree to u.
-Madhatter- Groupbie
-Madhatter-
-Madhatter-

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:56am | IP Logged
Agree with your post...people in the entertainment industry need to take everything, both the positives and negatives, in their stride...glorying in the adulation and complaining about criticism is just so unprofessional...they must be ready to recieve both with a open mind and not get carried away..after all, its the audience who makes them, literally! 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

GirlOfFire

SaJanLuv14 IF-Rockerz
SaJanLuv14
SaJanLuv14

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 2:16am | IP Logged
Awesome post, very well put Clap
GodHelpUs Senior Member
GodHelpUs
GodHelpUs

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 2:38am | IP Logged
Yo Jules,
If only it was a perfect world where people still believed in the idea of " being reasonable" and rational.
Unfortunately , that's  mere wishful thinking.
Either the forum has to break out in a jig and hover close to 'slash your wrist' like madness OR be downright rude and abusive vias their posts or hate messages to the actors.
being a professional myself for the better part of the last decade,  I find resonance with your opinions expressed here on.
I have observed that the actors / GH/ PH/ Cv tend to lash out or come across as pleading for our understanding under severe criticism.  If the show winds up, low TRP or not, it's the actors/ crew members who stand to lose and the audience venting their ire form the comforts of their home, seated comfy on their sofa's in front of the idiotbox.

Afterall audience is the king in the entertainment industry.. the totality of efforts from spot boys to make up artists on the sets to editors in theirs offices are working towards that end. Putting out something that shall entertain.

That their are varying perspectives on that is a different point altogether.

Off late the bouts of yell, like in a tennis court, are more like who's winning the match points. Some section of the audience who follow the actors/ GH online and either praise them or trash them need to understand that because they are actors doesnt mean they have to lend a patient ear and shut mouth 24/7. Acting is their job. their choice . their passion.

Ofcourse you have to bear the onslaught into your privacy because guess what you are a celebrity. You can't retaliate. when you do open your mouth , its to thank us for our praises. Else you only put your head down and say you will work harder to please us.

To me that sounds like sadism.

The agression is unbelievable. Both, GH's/ Cv's and the fans ( if they can be called so, some are plain maniacs).

Cut them some slack. Beyond a point its  better to sit back and take the show for what it is, entertainment. It's an add on to your life. Not your entire life. 20 odd minutes of bliss or bheja fry, whicever way you chose to see it.

The actor's/ crew/ GH/PH say its its job...let them do theirs. Don't like what they do , then turn a blind eye.

That said for the actiors/ public figures, guess who weilds  the ultimate power. Us!!
Blissful ignorance can wrap a show faster than popping out a living bawling being out of a womb...wasnt there a show ' sajda tere pyar mein' sumthing like that on SP which fizzled out.

No audience. No fan base.  You don't like tha show ignore. Put your time and energies to better use. Being hateful, rude isnt the done thing if you ask me.

If GH/Actors/ crew are shielding behind the " pressures' and 'demands'  of their jobs even we have the ultimate cloak of invisibility: FANS and whats better you can hide behind an ID and just shoot from your hip, why mouth.

Audience made, BS and SI, the icon they are today notwithstanding their talent. Talent  is found in abundance in our labour intensive countries and there is no dearth of new entrants.

BS had BHPH and SI had MJHT...yet its IPKKND that turned their careers on a 360 degree spin..surely we have some role to play in that. In which case, ponder, if the collective strength of audience base can turn someone's life around , it can also make them turn about and be faded away into oblivion.

Both the North pole (Telly world) and South pole ( audience) can do with some subjectivity for now.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

crazyforarshiGirlOfFirecrazzyhrt

jules IF-Rockerz
jules
jules

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 3:01am | IP Logged
Hi GodHelpUs
Thank you for your response... though I must admit am a bit confused about the extent of your agreement with me  Smile

But I do agree with you on the aggression part on all fronts be it the makers or the audience. But how I see it is we dont know the people who are bringing the aggression  - their age, their maturity. Infact many a times when I read some posts and some questions I am forced to think how old these people are that they didn't get something that was so obvious or they misunderstood something that was so clear. But guess that the USP of being the audience , you cloak the robe of anonymity.

But the ones who unfortunately are visible are the makers through their characters and their personal interactions. All I feel is, they could be mature and responsible in handling their public image and watch how and what they talk for many a figures have been made and have broken just based on how they handle their public image. And with the way they seem to be impacting some people's lives... they really need to weigh every word they say.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

GodHelpUs

GodHelpUs Senior Member
GodHelpUs
GodHelpUs

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 3:17am | IP Logged
oh well.. my thoughts are all garbled and i understand its difficult to read thru all that and still find me coherent..
am at work and typed this whilst gobbling down lunch at my desk. will get back to you with a more structured response...

Note to myself: don't be on IF when you have deadlines which clouds ur thinking..and most definitely not when u r shoving food down your throat.

ciao!
GodHelpUs Senior Member
GodHelpUs
GodHelpUs

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 3:39am | IP Logged
Btw Jules,  have been around the forum for some time now and can safely conclude that the majority of the members here are students/ teens/ kiddies ..12 years old that is!!!
Even amongst the 18 and above most of them are more in the happy go lucky phase of life... apologies for the generalisations to those reading this but its an observation all the same...

there are times when i m enraged at some posts and views and feel like taking the writer upto task and then I down a chill pill in the knowledge that there are kids out there who are yet to experience life in all its  beauty and ugliness and hence their rosy views may be true for them today but with time ,experience and hopefully wisdom they shall learn as well...just as we did..

Go to top