Jhalak Dikhhla Ja 5

India-Forums

Jhalak Dikhhla Ja 5
Jhalak Dikhhla Ja 5

Superficiality and tricks in dance?[ DT NOTE P16] (Page 5)

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chocolover89

I disagree that horror = ghosts only. There are plenty of scary things in this world: zombies, vampires, werewolves, snakes, creepy crawly insects, etc.. And fine if Salman wanted to go the ghost way, that's awesome. BUT there are plenty of different stories with ghosts that he can come up with. It doesn't have to be love betrayal --> haunting --> death.

Anyways from whatever little I've seen of this season...it may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Shibani-Punit are better than Isha-Salman.

@bold: Completely agree...I don't get from what angle zombies can be the only horror theme to work with...I agree that the last climbing up the wall bit Isha did very well...but then she's an acrobat essentially...I'd be surprised if she couldn't do these things well atleast.

And I will reiterate...she lacks grace...FLOW in her dancing...don't know if that's thanks to the choreography as well since most of Salman's choreographies usually involve stunts or acrobatics...but she doesn't come across as graceful in my opinion...her face is very stiff and not expressive either.

Shibani on the other hand is much better from whatever I've seen of her performances...has a pleasant demeanor, grace and seems to have shown variety as well...Punit anyways seems a better choreographer than Salman...I felt that last year too and it was sad that Anushka got kicked out so early on...Punit was doing a good job with her too.

This season is so blahh that I don't really find it worth watching and whatever little I read about 30s being handed out like toffees shows even more clearly how "high" the standards are this season

P.S. btw Himani, I didn't know you were an NBT fan? Just saw your aviLOL

Edited by AreYaar - 19 July 2012 at 3:24pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

nimrahpigbelly4myfeetgilmores-Swetha-

quarky Senior Member
quarky
quarky

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by AreYaar

I disagree that horror = ghosts only. There are plenty of scary things in this world: zombies, vampires, werewolves, snakes, creepy crawly insects, etc.. And fine if Salman wanted to go the ghost way, that's awesome. BUT there are plenty of different stories with ghosts that he can come up with. It doesn't have to be love betrayal --> haunting --> death.

Anyways from whatever little I've seen of this season...it may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Shibani-Punit are better than Isha-Salman.

@bold: Completely agree...I don't get from what angle zombies can be the only horror theme to work with...I agree that the last climbing up the wall bit Isha did very well...but then she's an acrobat essentially...I'd be surprised if she couldn't do these things well atleast.

And I will reiterate...she lacks grace...FLOW in her dancing...don't know if that's thanks to the choreography as well since most of Salman's choreographies usually involve stunts or acrobatics...but she doesn't come across as graceful in my opinion...her face is very stiff and not expressive either.

Shibani on the other hand is much better from whatever I've seen of her performances...has a pleasant demeanor, grace and seems to have shown variety as well...Punit anyways seems a better choreographer than Salman...I felt that last year too and it was sad that Anushka got kicked out so early on...Punit was doing a good job with her too.

This season is so blahh that I don't really find it worth watching and whatever little I read about 30s being handed out like toffees shows even more clearly how "high" the standards are this season

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Chandramukhi-

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged

1) No...acrobatics, yes

2) No...acrobatics, yes

Hope that answers your questions. Circus performer grace and dancing grace...two different things...Isha sorely lacks the latter in my opinion and I'm entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

*mittu*pigbelly4myfeetnimrah-Swetha-

gilmores IF-Stunnerz
gilmores
gilmores

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 4:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by AreYaar

Hii Anu! Hug
Her forte is acrobatics so she should be able to do it well yeah, but nevertheless I did like the way it was done. Effortless. But essentially that's what Salman puts in for his choreographies for Isha na? From whatever I've seen, he cashes in on her amazing flexibility a lot.

Grace..yeah she's not the most graceful dancer here. I thought Pratyusha was the most graceful from whatever I saw..pity she's out now. As for expressions, LOL. Isha is as expressionless as they come..that's why some people couldn't connect to her performances in the beginning. I noticed even in her movies..that wide-eyed doll face is what she has and that's about it..when she really tries, it shows that she's trying too hard aka that Dirty Picture performance. I find it amazing that she's a trained Kathak dancer as well though. How does a Kathak dancer not have expressions? Confused

I don't remember Punti-Anushka at all because they got out too early, but I was impressed with whatever I saw of Shibani=Punit. I really think they could be the "dark horses." Honestly, I was more impressed with Punti in JDJ than I ever have been in DID. LOL He always faded wayy into the background for me in DID.

LMAO 30's like toffees LOLLOL That's exactly it..the scoring is SO bad it's not even funny LOL Only the judges can make sense of it..it's like dada randombly saying Kya baat, grand salute to very random performance out there. LOL 

NBT..I used to be a fan..my cousin recommended it to me so I started watching and I got hooked, especially to Mohan Bhatnagar. Embarrassed Pity the show's gone to the dogs now. Cry Haha the avi..look familiar? I choried it from you only LOL

@quarky
That Paso Doble you posted shows exactly what Anu and I mean. Paso Doble is very aggressive..and FIERCE. Isha looks confused/ nervous to me from the very BEGINNING when she comes in...as if she's trying to remember her steps...not at all fierce IMHO. That end bit when she drops Salman and her expression afterwards..is..well I found it comical truth be told.

This is fierce. Just look at Shakti's expression near the end when she's about to kill Amar after he lets her go. I had goosebumps after it. Haunting. Isha was nowhere near that level for me...especially expression wise.

Edited by chocolover89 - 19 July 2012 at 4:39pm

nimrahpigbelly4myfeet-Swetha-AreYaar

pakhara IF-Rockerz
pakhara
pakhara

Chidiya Ghar Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 6:49pm | IP Logged
I just LOVE Shibani. I would be so happy if she won, but I have to be honest here. In no way is Isha expressionless. From her very first performance, her expressions have been stunning. You simply can not say that there weren't expressions when you see the rage and hate in her eyes in the Paso Doble, the creepy (and no, that's not due to make-up) looks she gave in her last performance, the amused and then horrified ones in the The Dirty Picture performance. And she does too have grace and flow in her dance. Is Remo out of his mind to complement her so? In the first video that quarky posted, there are quite a few ballet steps! How is that acrobatics? And the Paso Doble? How can you dismiss her expressions as acrobatics? I'm pretty sure, now, I may be wrong, but expressions are on the face, acrobatics aren't. Unless of course, you qualify raised eyebrows and pursed lips as acrobatics.

Edited by RadhaHiBawari - 19 July 2012 at 7:21pm

quarkyRapier-MariaMars--Chandramukhi-

purva IF-Sizzlerz
purva
purva

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 9:04pm | IP Logged
First of all.. thanks for the link to Sushan-Shampa's performance.. somehow I had missed it last season Smile

Yes If I compare both the performances side by side.. I like Sushant's performance better. There was more of dancing in Sushan't performance while Isha's performance was more of story telling. But the point is Isha is not competing with Sushant here.. she is competing with different people.. and if you see other best performances from this week like Bharti and GC (I am considering 30 point performances only) then Isha was no less than them because her performance did leave an impact. 

And being copied from Sushant's performance.. well I didn't feel like it was copied. Only one step done by Isha was same like Shampa's step. And honestly.. I don't think anyone can claim a copyright on a dance step. If you search on YT.. I am sure you will find some dance which might be similar to Sushant-Shampa's performance.. or any other JDJ performance.. what is more important to me is how it is performed on stage by that particular contestant. And Isha did a great job of telling a story through her performance.. I did get goosebumps by the end of their act.. Tongue

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

quarkypakharachocobear-MariaMars--Chandramukhi--Swetha-

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 9:22pm | IP Logged

Hii Anu! Hug
Her forte is acrobatics so she should be able to do it well yeah, but nevertheless I did like the way it was done. Effortless. But essentially that's what Salman puts in for his choreographies for Isha na? From whatever I've seen, he cashes in on her amazing flexibility a lot.

Grace..yeah she's not the most graceful dancer here. I thought Pratyusha was the most graceful from whatever I saw..pity she's out now. As for expressions, LOL. Isha is as expressionless as they come..that's why some people couldn't connect to her performances in the beginning. I noticed even in her movies..that wide-eyed doll face is what she has and that's about it..when she really tries, it shows that she's trying too hard aka that Dirty Picture performance. I find it amazing that she's a trained Kathak dancer as well though. How does a Kathak dancer not have expressions? Confused

I don't remember Punti-Anushka at all because they got out too early, but I was impressed with whatever I saw of Shibani=Punit. I really think they could be the "dark horses." Honestly, I was more impressed with Punti in JDJ than I ever have been in DID. LOL He always faded wayy into the background for me in DID.

LMAO 30's like toffees LOLLOL That's exactly it..the scoring is SO bad it's not even funny LOL Only the judges can make sense of it..it's like dada randombly saying Kya baat, grand salute to very random performance out there. LOL 

NBT..I used to be a fan..my cousin recommended it to me so I started watching and I got hooked, especially to Mohan Bhatnagar. Embarrassed Pity the show's gone to the dogs now. Cry Haha the avi..look familiar? I choried it from you only LOL

@quarky
That Paso Doble you posted shows exactly what Anu and I mean. Paso Doble is very aggressive..and FIERCE. Isha looks confused/ nervous to me from the very BEGINNING when she comes in...as if she's trying to remember her steps...not at all fierce IMHO. That end bit when she drops Salman and her expression afterwards..is..well I found it comical truth be told.

This is fierce. Just look at Shakti's expression near the end when she's about to kill Amar after he lets her go. I had goosebumps after it. Haunting. Isha was nowhere near that level for me...especially expression wise.

I saw that performance too and felt she's super conscious...you can SEE her preparing for each step...it shows on her face, in her body language...lack of flow...and lol yes I also found it comical the way she was attempting to be "angry" and "fierce"...she has two expressions max and I think I've seen both of those expressions in Luck by Chance in that airhead bimbo role she hadLOL...the doll face as you said...ppl are mistakening her widening her eyes for expressions?LOL...that's about all she can do...no expressiveness in the face otherwise...she's a trained Kathak dancer? Shocking...does not show even remotely in her "dancing" if it can be called that...anyways superficiality rules as Pallo pointed out in her first post.

LOL even Dada is not so generous with his 'kya baats' no matter how loopy he is otherwise...but then anyways JDJ ka standard of dancing can't match up to DID...it's always been more gimmicky...never more so than this season.

Re: NBT ...lol yeah I do recognize the avi :P...Mohan Bhatnagar will remain an iconic character to me although yes the show has sadly gone down the drain.

Ahh that Shakti performance...best paso doble on Indian TV yet...even now I get goosebumps watching that ending bit when she kills him and does that walk...perfect combo of FIERCE GRACE.

I agree about Punit being more noticeable in JDJ than DID...he always put me to sleep in DIDLOL...he's surprised me as a choreographer...thodi toh creativity dikhata hai unlike certain ppl *cough*

Pallo khud post banaa ke bhaag gayi hai abLOL...

Edited by AreYaar - 19 July 2012 at 9:27pm

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

FoxxyCleopatra-enchanted-nimrahpigbelly4myfeetgilmores-Swetha-

FoxxyCleopatra Groupbie
FoxxyCleopatra
FoxxyCleopatra

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 9:52pm | IP Logged
For me Isha-Salman's performances have generally been low impact... I just never feel the "wow"

Technically Isha might be moving perfectly, but there is a soul that lacks in their numbers.  This week there was a thousand tricks, but no still no emotions.  IMO a horrific mahaul can be created in the most mundane of settings, and in fact can be more horrific that way... doing all these typical tricks in nothing new or horrifying.  I was honestly irritated at the end of the performance... no clear story, disconnected acrobatic dance steps, no tuning with the song/lyrics, no flow, no dynamic between the man and woman, over the top costumes and make-up, and that damn annoying red light.  I sincerely hated that light, it washed out everything, no details were visible!  I could not understand what was so special in it aside from a few of her contortions..!

I think this is a general problem with Salman's choreographies and concepts... there are no moments or thoughts.  There's never any poignant few seconds where it all comes in place... the song, the expressions, the dance steps, everything creates something larger than itself, the sum becomes larger than the parts... that's what leaves people with a "wow" feeling and that's what he lacks.  I find their performances highly unthoughtful.  There is very little depth to them beyond the surface-level-obvious.

This was a fantastic chance for Salman to let Isha try this crazy thing called expressions, but instead he went for rather run of the mill trickery.  I'm no choreographer, but if he had to do the betrayal theme and use that song, he could have done it a very different way...  He could have had the stage and costumes very simple... Isha looking kind of pale in a slightly ragged dress, leaving us unsure if she is really dead or if he killed her emotionally.  He could have channeled the emotions of the song... of a pleading, wondering, and nearly resigned woman dancing with him, trying to be close again, coupled with vengeful expressions from her when he turns around... as if she is ready to kill him at any moment. He could have shown torn expressions of his own, wanting to go back to her and wanting to hate her at the same time.  Instead it was just a very superficial performance...

Super agree with the similarities to Sushant and Shampa!  Noticed it immediately when watching the episode!  The very obvious copies...
> The exact same theme of a man betraying and the woman coming back from the dead for revenge
> The camera tricks... this is something the choreographer sets in these circumstances... he went for the exact same effect of him looking around and then the woman jumps on him
> One step was the same, though I usually wouldn't count that because nobody really has a trademark on any step, I found it amusing that he used in the exact same type of performance.

The funny thing in all of this was how unnecessary it was for him to copy!  In a way it was almost forced!  There are 1001 things to do in the horror theme, tons of ways to interpret the song, yet he went for the same thing... but it wasn't done nearly as well.  SS aced on the story - from mundane, to shock, to double shock lol... the emotions and expressions were convincing... there were moments that really got you - when he dropped her from the stairs, when he gave that evil smile, when Shampa came back out, etc... the tuning between both of them... incorporation of meaty dance segments... everything was considered and thought through so well.

Disappointing to know that what was presented by Isha and Salman is now considered the ultimate peformance...

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

-enchanted-stefanandre..Sonii..pigbelly4myfeetnimrahnikitagmcChannaMereyagilmoresAreYaar

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Jhalak Dikhhla Ja 5 Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index