Jhalak Dikhhla Ja 5

India-Forums

Jhalak Dikhhla Ja 5
Jhalak Dikhhla Ja 5

Superficiality and tricks in dance?[ DT NOTE P16] (Page 3)

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged
P.S. Just watched the Sushant-Shampa act again...even NOW I get goosebumps at the way the whole zombie portion begins with Shampa throwing her arm out from a distance and choking him and all this WITH dance going on...THIS is choreography, ppl...

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

stefanandrepigbelly4myfeet..Sonii..-Swetha-

quarky Senior Member
quarky
quarky

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 10:06am | IP Logged
I agree with your post that Sushant had a lot more to do than Salman. And that's why I wrote this: 

Originally posted by quarky

Also, after Shampa becomes a ghost, there were really no dancey steps (traditionally speaking). And the guy doesn't play much part, if he's chased around by a ghost. There arent really a million expressions to show a scared man chased by a ghost. The main highlight IS the woman, the ghost. And fortunately Isha was the contestant and she was brilliant.

Salman - just like Sushant cannot take the spotlight in such acts. The only reason Shampa had the part before she turns into a ghost was to show Sushant's dance because once she becomes a ghost, he has no role except being a man scared shitless. He was the contestant and he had to take the spotlight for sometime. And If i remember correctly, Remo even said after the dance that he was ONLY looking at Shampa. So they had a different limitation back then. Here Salman was free to give Isha the entire spotlight, thereby not needing to add a pre-murder track and include the "traditional" dancing. 

I believe that when the ghost is the girl, all eyes will be on the girl. How many people want to see a man being scared? No, everyone wants to see how the ghost moves, walks, scares etc. So Shampa and Isha took the spotlight. But the problem was last year Sushant needed attention, he was the contestant - so she added some ballroom jazz moves so his talent would be showcased before the ghost came. And Jazz is his forte, so he was appreciated for that. But you can't deny that a majority of the praise went Shampa's way.

Here Isha was the contestant, so Salman choreographed the dance to HER skill - flexibility. He didn't have much of a role to play and he was content being the side-actor. Again, the only praise that came his way was the intelligent choreography. And again, majority of the praise went to Isha. There is no denying that when someone is acting possessed you can notice anyone else.

As far as the choreography critique goes, I cannot say anything about that, as it lies in the eyes of the beholder. I didn't find Giaa's dance last week very good, but a lot of the others did. That is the beauty of this art form. 
pakhara IF-Rockerz
pakhara
pakhara

Chidiya Ghar Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged

As a former Pavitra Rishta fan, I have got to say, I loved Sushant's performance. He is a terrific dancer and Shampa is a genius choreographer. But, in no discernible way, can you say that Salman's and Isha's performance was copied from that. As you pointed out, there were Salsa steps in the Shampa's choreography, and Salman's didn't have that. There was only one thing that I found similar, which was the fact that Isha walked backwards on all fours like Shampa did. But, IMO, Isha did that step better. If what you consider "plagiarizing" is the fact that both of them did a horror themed dance, then you should also know the fact that both jodis were assigned that theme. They'll have a jodi next season who does a horror dance as well, so will that be considered copying?

Now talking about dance…After I read this, I went on to youtube once again to watch their performance. Was it just me, or was Isha actually lip synching most of the time? And yes, Salman tried to show off Isha's flexibility, but isn't that what a choreographer is supposed to do? Showcase his dancer's strengths? Shampa did it with Sushant's jazz. And all the movements were well synchronized. All of her steps went with the beats of the music. But I think that since the main theme of the dance was horror, the performance should have scared the audience at least. I wasn't at all scared with Sushant's and Shampa's dance performance, not even at the end when she choked him. Salman's and Isha's performance was much more true to the theme.

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

gvenkateSabina_AnsariNoCommentsquarkyDriftInfinitelyRapierswan20-Chandramukhi-_Darling_-Swetha-Tony_StraK786

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 10:37am | IP Logged
Ahh they got the horror theme to do? Well Sushant-Shampa were given salsa to do and they wove a story about horror into it...I find that far more creative and worthy of praise than using Isha's contortion skills and amazingly BLANK plastic face to portray her as a zombie...doesn't require that much from her side...

By the way is this a DANCE show or a THEME show?  Is the point supposed to be about combining dance WITH theme or just putting up the props for a theme and getting lauded for that? If it's the latter, then in that case, my apologies...Salman-Isha totally lived up to the "level" of the show this yearClapLOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

pigbelly4myfeet-Swetha-

pakhara IF-Rockerz
pakhara
pakhara

Chidiya Ghar Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged
^^how were her expressions at all blank? Not once during her performance did she not have that hateful and devilish look in her eyes. IMO, she was more convincing as a ghost than Shampa.

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

quarkyRapierDriftInfinitely_Darling_-MariaMars--Chandramukhi-Tony_StraK786

SudhaSangeet IF-Dazzler
SudhaSangeet
SudhaSangeet

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 11:02am | IP Logged
OMG the concept too was same( hero killing heroine, thereafter the ghost entry)...along with the theme horror...Shocked
Thanks for bringing it into notice...

Only thing was the look of the at in isha's performance  which I found different...along with her flexibility...and less of dance...

Thats why I keep writing their performances are boring and predictable...

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

stefanandrepigbelly4myfeetnikitagmc-Swetha-AreYaar

ashlatore Groupbie
ashlatore
ashlatore

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by AreYaar

Ahh they got the horror theme to do? Well Sushant-Shampa were given salsa to do and they wove a story about horror into it...I find that far more creative and worthy of praise than using Isha's contortion skills and amazingly BLANK plastic face to portray her as a zombie...doesn't require that much from her side...

By the way is this a DANCE show or a THEME show?  Is the point supposed to be about combining dance WITH theme or just putting up the props for a theme and getting lauded for that? If it's the latter, then in that case, my apologies...Salman-Isha totally lived up to the "level" of the show this yearClapLOL

FYI, the theme they were given was horror, not Salsa and they did Salsa in the theme. So it was similar to this year. Not the other way around as you seem to think.
nikitagmc IF-Sizzlerz
nikitagmc
nikitagmc

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 12:02pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by RadhaHiBawari

As a former Pavitra Rishta fan, I have got to say, I loved Sushant's performance. He is a terrific dancer and Shampa is a genius choreographer. But, in no discernible way, can you say that Salman's and Isha's performance was copied from that. As you pointed out, there were Salsa steps in the Shampa's choreography, and Salman's didn't have that. There was only one thing that I found similar, which was the fact that Isha walked backwards on all fours like Shampa did. But, IMO, Isha did that step better. If what you consider "plagiarizing" is the fact that both of them did a horror themed dance, then you should also know the fact that both jodis were assigned that theme. They'll have a jodi next season who does a horror dance as well, so will that be considered copying?

It's not just about the theme yaar, its about the concept. What was Sushant-Shampa's concept-  girl is killed by her lover, and then the ghost of the girl comes back to take revenge. Salman and Isha's act had the same concept. Surely they could have chosen another story/concept, it's not like this is the only storyline/concept available to make a horror performance?  Even the song is from the same film- Raundhe hai and Pyaar tune kya kiya focussing on the girl crying for her lover. The camera effects are quite similar too. Isha's step of walking on all fours like Shampa is the same too. Even if one tries it is hard to ignore the uncanny resemblences, whether intentional or not. And if one says that this is a common concept and hence is no plagiarism, then again it goes on to show the lack of novelty in the act in choosing a concept already performed on the same stage before.

Edited by nikitagmc - 19 July 2012 at 12:04pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

SudhaSangeetstefanandrepigbelly4myfeetTani91_Darling_gilmores-Swetha-AreYaar

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Jhalak Dikhhla Ja 5 Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index