Users

Frequent Posters

quarky thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: AreYaar

1) No...acrobatics, yes

2) No...acrobatics, yes

Hope that answers your questions. Circus performer grace and dancing grace...two different things...Isha sorely lacks the latter in my opinion and I'm entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

Have you seen contemporary performances? How is that acrobatics? That was some WONDERFUL moves. I've worked at fred astaire dance studio and I can assure you, that IS how a contemporary piece is performed. Agreed Salman dropped her once. But, really? That was acrobatics? Oh maybe you are talking about the rope malkham at the beginning of the dance - dude that IS what she trained in Kerala for since she was a kid. And that was also similar to how she was introduced in Kisna - so Salman used it at the beginning of her intro dance (her first one). Please watch it after she gets off the rope - she was gorgeous.

And the Paso Doble? Where was acrobatics? And latin dances weren't her forte - she had to learn them in less than a week from Salman, so maybe it was as good as Shakti's ones that was choreographed by a master like Terrence.  But, that was still wonderful. They remained mostly true to what is expected of Paso Doble. If you feel any sort of flexibility in dance is acrobatics, then we'd have only Kathak and Odissi. 

I LOVE Shibani, but you cannot possibly say she is better than Isha. I would be happy if her OR Isha win - but Isha is just miles ahead of others. And I'm going to go on a limb here and say, its because she's super flexible. Shibani is good, no doubt. but not as good as Isha. 
ibelieveinpink thumbnail
I feel like I'm watching a different performance than the rest of you. Her ghost act def lacked flow and "dance", but Paso was dead on--if everyone watches the American DWTS then they'll know that her Paso had THAT standard of difficulty, expression and choreography--I wish Salman gave her some cape work, but regardless it was good.

The puppet act was brilliant and on going connect and disconnect made sense b/c of idea of string movement.

Coming to the ghost act---Sushant's wasn't necessarily "better" IMO. I always found his upper body, specifically his back posture quite stiff and disjointed from the rest of his body. His back/shoulders have no flow of energy when he dances--especially BW dance styles so I feel the comparison doesn't show that faults in Isha's act.

I think the complexity was there, but Salman is exploiting her flexibility and hyperextensive legs instead of just making her dance. I wish Remo would have said that instead being so awe-struck with Isha's performances and the unique-ness of the act.
😳 comparing with sushant i thought comparing is not allowed πŸ€“
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: FoxxyCleopatra

I think this is a general problem with Salman's choreographies and concepts... there are no moments or thoughts.  There's never any poignant few seconds where it all comes in place... the song, the expressions, the dance steps, everything creates something larger than itself, the sum becomes larger than the parts... that's what leaves people with a "wow" feeling and that's what he lacks.  I find their performances highly unthoughtful.  There is very little depth to them beyond the surface-level-obvious.
BINGO...beautifully put! ...you can see that he doesn't put any real thought of creating MOMENTS through choreography...it's all about the next lift, the next jump, the next flip...cuz creating moments requires more work and creativity...I feel Raghav from DID is fantastic at creating moments literally on the spot...very creative guy.

This was a fantastic chance for Salman to let Isha try this crazy thing called expressions LOL love how you put thisπŸ˜†, but instead he went for rather run of the mill trickery.  I'm no choreographer, but if he had to do the betrayal theme and use that song, he could have done it a very different way...  He could have had the stage and costumes very simple... Isha looking kind of pale in a slightly ragged dress, leaving us unsure if she is really dead or if he killed her emotionally.  He could have channeled the emotions of the song... of a pleading, wondering, and nearly resigned woman dancing with him, trying to be close again, coupled with vengeful expressions from her when he turns around... as if she is ready to kill him at any moment. He could have shown torn expressions of his own, wanting to go back to her and wanting to hate her at the same time.  Instead it was just a very superficial performance...You've described a very interesting premise but alas that would be expecting way too much creativity I guess...it was so much easier to just get overly "inspired" from an already available horror act from just the past seasonπŸ˜†

Super agree with the similarities to Sushant and Shampa!  Noticed it immediately when watching the episode!  The very obvious copies...
> The exact same theme of a man betraying and the woman coming back from the dead for revenge
> The camera tricks... this is something the choreographer sets in these circumstances... he went for the exact same effect of him looking around and then the woman jumps on him YES! This is the bit where I was like wow seriously? Did he REALLY just DITTO rip off the same camera angles too? The EXTENT to which the act has been ripped off still has me in shock to be honestπŸ˜†

> One step was the same, though I usually wouldn't count that because nobody really has a trademark on any step, I found it amusing that he used in the exact same type of performance.

The funny thing in all of this was how unnecessary it was for him to copy!  In a way it was almost forced!  There are 1001 things to do in the horror theme, tons of ways to interpret the song, yet he went for the same thing... but it wasn't done nearly as well.  SS aced on the story - from mundane, to shock, to double shock lol... the emotions and expressions were convincing... there were moments that really got you - when he dropped her from the stairs, when he gave that evil smile, when Shampa came back out, etc... the tuning between both of them... incorporation of meaty dance segments... everything was considered and thought through so well. WordπŸ‘πŸ‘

Two samples of what you aptly described as meaty dance segments along with the moments created that HOLD you...seriously fantastically thought of and put together...you can see the creativity and teamwork that went into it.

The bit where she chokes him from a distance and he literally moves in sync with the way she pulls her hand back...

Excellent piece of choreography to the wordings of "ronde hai"...they actually danced TO the song instead of just letting it play out in the bg while you make random "scary" faces and think you've got a horror act doneπŸ˜•πŸ˜†

Disappointing to know that what was presented by Isha and Salman is now considered the ultimate peformance...

chocobear thumbnail
Sushant's performance was mind-blowing but it didn't scare me or didn't had that impact which Isha's performance had on me. Sushant's performance had a lot of dancing, no doubt about that but I disagree when you guys say that Isha-Salman's act was copied from Sushant's ct. I could see just one step that both Isha and Shampa did, rest everything was different. Isha's expressions, moves everything was just BANG ON. Isha'a performance actually gave me goosebumps and it was really scary. They justified their theme. With sushant's performance I don't see that happening. And as far as act being similar is concered I didn't find a single similarity between the two. Both Shampa and Isha walked backwards on all fours but how can anyone say it's copied? Oh come on nobody has a copyright on dance steps.   Edited by chocobear - 11 years ago
ibelieveinpink thumbnail

Originally posted by: Be.A.Rebel

😳 comparing with sushant i thought comparing is not allowed πŸ€“

It isn't, but people started doing that since page 1 so thought I give my feedback to that response in particular.

Originally posted by: sweet coco

It isn't, but people started doing that since page 1 so thought I give my feedback to that response in particular.

its not for u 
ibelieveinpink thumbnail

Oops! My bad.😳
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: AreYaar

I saw that performance too and felt she's super conscious...you can SEE her preparing for each step...it shows on her face, in her body language...lack of flow...and lol yes I also found it comical the way she was attempting to be "angry" and "fierce"...she has two expressions max and I think I've seen both of those expressions in Luck by Chance in that airhead bimbo role she hadπŸ˜†...the doll face as you said...ppl are mistakening her widening her eyes for expressions?πŸ˜†...that's about all she can do...no expressiveness in the face otherwise...she's a trained Kathak dancer? Shocking...does not show even remotely in her "dancing" if it can be called that...anyways superficiality rules as Pallo pointed out in her first post.

LOL even Dada is not so generous with his 'kya baats' no matter how loopy he is otherwise...but then anyways JDJ ka standard of dancing can't match up to DID...it's always been more gimmicky...never more so than this season.

Ahh that Shakti performance...best paso doble on Indian TV yet...even now I get goosebumps watching that ending bit when she kills him and does that walk...perfect combo of FIERCE GRACE.
Pallo khud post banaa ke bhaag gayi hai abπŸ˜†...

OKay. This is going to be a crazy long post, lots of quoting. I'm sorry for that folks.
@bold
EXACTLY! I could see her preparing for the steps. I didn't find anything scary, hatred, fierce in her facial expressions or eyes or lips or any part of her face. I only saw nervousness, trying to remember the next step. There was a bit in the middle where she looks at Salman and then it's as if she remembers..oh I have to look fierce..let me attempt that πŸ˜•πŸ˜†

Oops, I meant to add: dada's kya baat * 10 = randomness of JDJ.

That Shakti-Amar one toh is FAB. Terence surpassed himself wiht that one. The end is just SOOO AMAZING. I can't even put it in words.

Haha.. I can see that. Pallo humein phasa ke kat li πŸ˜†πŸ˜† 

Originally posted by: quarky

And the Paso Doble? Where was acrobatics? And latin dances weren't her forte - she had to learn them in less than a week from Salman, so maybe it was as good as Shakti's ones that was choreographed by a master like Terrence. But, that was still wonderful. They remained mostly true to what is expected of Paso Doble. 

They only get a week in DID as well. Shakti's forte is contemporary, not Paso Doble or latin dances. I'm comparing the dancing btw, NOT the choreography. Terence is on a whole different level that Salman can't reach. I think its a fair comparison because both Shakti and Isha are PROFESSIONAL dancers. And, its not like Shakti is famous for her facial expressions either. But my point was that her expressions are FIERCE in the Paso Doble and a bit scary..the whole I'm going to get you now and you won't even know what just hit you. Isha's were not fierce at all--like I said above, the preparation could be seen. But I can see that we might have to agree to disagree here.

Comparisons may not be allowed in this forum, but when the performances are similar and there's a a debate on whether or not it's inspired..then I think there's bound to be comparisons and should be allowed. So far the discussion is pretty civil..nothing nasty here, just disagreements. I hope it manages to stay this way.

FoxyyyCleopatra, so much to quote and agree with in yours. Think I'll need a new post πŸ˜†

Edited by chocolover89 - 11 years ago
quarky thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: chocolover89

They only get a week in DID as well. Shakti's forte is contemporary, not Paso Doble or latin dances. I'm comparing the dancing btw, NOT the choreography. Terence is on a whole different level that Salman can't reach. I think its a fair comparison because both Shakti and Isha are PROFESSIONAL dancers. And, its not like Shakti is famous for her facial expressions either. But my point was that her expressions are FIERCE in the Paso Doble and a bit scary..the whole I'm going to get you now and you won't even know what just hit you. Isha's were not fierce at all--like I said above, the preparation could be seen. But I can see that we might have to agree to disagree here.

Comparisons may not be allowed in this forum, but when the performances are similar and there's a a debate on whether or not it's inspired..then I think there's bound to be comparisons and should be allowed. So far the discussion is pretty civil..nothing nasty here, just disagreements. I hope it manages to stay this way.

FoxyyyCleopatra, so much to quote and agree with in yours. Think I'll need a new post πŸ˜†

I expected that when I wrote it, but you have to admit, Shakti has a degree in dance from Terrence's Institute - ie. she's a trained dancer in many of the western/latin forms (the degree curriculum has ALL the MAJOR western forms included) which is what she did and excelled at - who had her teacher as her mentor in DID. Isha is super flexible, but she's not trained in the western forms that Salman is making her do. 

I thought Isha's expressions in the paso doble was spot on. I may not be too amazed by Madhuri and Karan as the judges, but I definitely trust Remo to know what he says - and I agree with him on Isha-Salman everytime.